Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

12 minutes ago, xHydroBoltx said:

Persona 3 from a gameplay standpoint is rough to go back to. It take way too damn long to level up, you can only give general commands to your party, if you get knocked down you lose two turns instead of one, the UI isn’t nearly as polished as future titles, and the final boss take too damn long to kill and can wipe your whole party if you’re not careful. Still, Persona 3 has probably the best soundtrack and best written characters when compared to four and five. That alone is worth the playthrough lol

It’s funny, most gamers above 30 would say Nintendo died after the SNES. I wish they would make strong consoles like they use to, but hey, some amazing games have come out on those weak consoles. Xenoblade Chronicles, splatoon, breath of the wild, as far the games are concern Nintendo is still got it!

Yeah Persona 3 was still a great play but holy fuck I absolutely detested the gameplay. I'd still say Persona 5 still has my favorite soundtrack overall but Persona 3 has my favorite single track from all them them which is Shadow. I'd have to say my favorite in general in terms of story & characters would have to be Persona 4 still however, absolutely love the story & Naoto is probably one of my favorite characters in the series.

I'm 22 but grew up playing N64 games so some of my first games were Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 & some other classics. The gamecube also had some really good games like Winder Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness (My favorite Pokemon games personally), Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon Magical Melody, Metroid Prime, & a lot of others I can't think of off the top of my head but those ones were some of my favorites. For me personally, every Nintendo console after that barely had even half of that for games that'd jump out since it was mostly just rehashes of the same thing from that point on & they'd rely to hard on a gimmick to the point they'd shoot themselves in the foot (Looking at you Wii).

The only game I was looking forward on the switch was Breath of the Wild but I did not like it what so ever so I ended up just getting rid of the switch after that disappointment since there was nothing else I really cared for anymore. (Metroid Prime 4 is pretty much dead in the water, haven't been a fan of Mario in a long time, the new Animal Crossing just looks like more of the same thing from the gamecube version that I can just play if I felt like it, Rune Factory 5 I'm looking forward to but don't got a switch to play it now though, probably will have to pick one up for pretty cheap.) I feel like a lot of the love Nintendo gets now a days (Not saying all the love) is just nostalgia from people who grew up with it so they feel they have to defend it & love it since they grew up with it.

9 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Yeah Persona 3 was still a great play but holy fuck I absolutely detested the gameplay. I'd still say Persona 5 still has my favorite soundtrack overall but Persona 3 has my favorite single track from all them them which is Shadow. I'd have to say my favorite in general in terms of story & characters would have to be Persona 4 still however, absolutely love the story & Naoto is probably one of my favorite characters in the series.

I'm 22 but grew up playing N64 games so some of my first games were Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 & some other classics. The gamecube also had some really good games like Winder Waker, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon Colosseum/Gale of Darkness (My favorite Pokemon games personally), Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon Magical Melody, Metroid Prime, & a lot of others I can't think of off the top of my head but those ones were some of my favorites. For me personally, every Nintendo console after that barely had even half of that for games that'd jump out since it was mostly just rehashes of the same thing from that point on & they'd rely to hard on a gimmick to the point they'd shoot themselves in the foot (Looking at you Wii).

The only game I was looking forward on the switch was Breath of the Wild but I did not like it what so ever so I ended up just getting rid of the switch after that disappointment since there was nothing else I really cared for anymore. (Metroid Prime 4 is pretty much dead in the water, haven't been a fan of Mario in a long time, the new Animal Crossing just looks like more of the same thing from the gamecube version that I can just play if I felt like it, Rune Factory 5 I'm looking forward to but don't got a switch to play it now though, probably will have to pick one up for pretty cheap.) I feel like a lot of the love Nintendo gets now a days (Not saying all the love) is just nostalgia from people who grew up with it so they feel they have to defend it & love it since they grew up with it.

Persona 4 Golden is my personal favorite because of its upbeat tone, funny characters, and it’s down to earth mid to late ‘00s setting (plus it’s the first persona game I played so I might be a little bias lol). I love them all, but I still think P3’s characters are better written (but the game is pretty bleak in tone).

Fair enough. The more experimental consoles by Nintendo ain’t for everyone, but if you’re able to look pass the motion controls the Wii had some great titles. Still, it would’ve been nice of Nintendo to give players an option for traditional controls. Part of Nintendo’s fandom is fueled by nostalgia to the point a lot of them will attack you if you dare criticize the company. Say anything bad about the newest Pokémon or the pure laziness of the 3D Mario collection and fans will try doxing you lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

I remember not liking Persona 3 as to me it wasn't a pure SMT title, I played the crap out of nocturne instead. But I gave it a better go and loved it years later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xHydroBoltx said:

Persona 4 Golden is my personal favorite because of its upbeat tone, funny characters, and it’s down to earth mid to late ‘00s setting (plus it’s the first persona game I played so I might be a little bias lol). I love them all, but I still think P3’s characters are better written (but the game is pretty bleak in tone).

Fair enough. The more experimental consoles by Nintendo ain’t for everyone, but if you’re able to look pass the motion controls the Wii had some great titles. Still, it would’ve been nice of Nintendo to give players an option for traditional controls. Part of Nintendo’s fandom is fueled by nostalgia to the point a lot of them will attack you if you dare criticize the company. Say anything bad about the newest Pokémon or the pure laziness of the 3D Mario collection and fans will try doxing you lol

Oh my god tell me about the toxic fans. I mean I literally grew up with those games as well but holy hell have the dropped in quality since back then. & Yeah the Wii did have some good titles like Skyward Sword was pretty good but it was regarded as a bad game due to the motion controls being absolutely terrible (which they were. Still remember struggling with the last boss fight because of how unresponsive the motion controls were are random times). I completely skipped the Wii U however. Thankfully I did as that was probably the worst Nintendo console with barely any good titles coming out for it & the fact they focused more on their handhelds so it was forgotten about pretty quick.

1 minute ago, Z1MZUM said:

I remember not liking Persona 3 as to me it wasn't a pure SMT title, I played the crap out of nocturne instead. But I gave it a better go and loved it years later.

I never played any of the SMT's & Persona 5 was my first entry into the series which I loved & prompted me to go & player previous titles. I'm going to buy the Nocturne Remaster however once it drops in NA. I have heard some horror stories from my friend who is a massive fan of SMT & Persona so looking forward to that lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

Oh my god tell me about the toxic fans. I mean I literally grew up with those games as well but holy hell have the dropped in quality since back then. & Yeah the Wii did have some good titles like Skyward Sword was pretty good but it was regarded as a bad game due to the motion controls being absolutely terrible (which they were. Still remember struggling with the last boss fight because of how unresponsive the motion controls were are random times). I completely skipped the Wii U however. Thankfully I did as that was probably the worst Nintendo console with barely any good titles coming out for it & the fact they focused more on their handhelds so it was forgotten about pretty quick.

I never played any of the SMT's & Persona 5 was my first entry into the series which I loved & prompted me to go & player previous titles. I'm going to buy the Nocturne Remaster however once it drops in NA. I have heard some horror stories from my friend who is a massive fan of SMT & Persona so looking forward to that lol. 

Persona 5 is as good as a place to start as any. I found P3 to be a darker game and even bought it on PS3.

• Like 1

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

Persona 5 is as good as a place to start as any. I found P3 to be a darker game and even bought it on PS3.

Yeah Persona 3 had a very dark story which I loved. I usually prefer a darker story/darker setting which is why I also prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. I'd say out of 3, 4 & 5. That 5 had the weakest story of them since it was mostly just "Man adults suck" & there wasn't really a bigger motive until basically the end of the game. The royal edition added an absolute amazing last section of the game however which was so good. If the entire game felt like it did with the last semester of royal then 5 would probably have been my favorite. I really do hope that SMT 5 as well does come to more than just the switch & that it's only a timed exclusive because I'd love to experience some SMT while also nabbing some plats

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

I just gave my modded switch along with a 1tb HDD away for free. And the 3 games I actually paid for.

well that's just complete bullshit there

43 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

while the wii u was a failure, it had a ton of killer titles so I would say it had more than just "barely any titles"

Journey did nothing for me in terms of having an "emotional" experience.

Call of Duty MW 2019 > Call of Duty MW1

Beyond Two Souls > Heavy Rain

Bloodborne was a fun experience, however where I think it fails in comparison to its gameplay and atmosphere is its story and characters where it leaves a bunch of holes and unanswered questions.

While Death Stranding's gameplay was oddly fun given how repetitive and how plain the open world is, after awhile the game does eventually get stale. I didn't think the story and characters were all that great either compared to Kojima's story and characters with the MGS franchise.

Online co-op, in most cases, isn't nearly as bad as many trophy hunters make it out to be. In fact, it can be very enjoyable. Certain online trophies can be a pain in the ass though, like the mindless grindy tasks (achieving rank 50 in Max Payne 3), or requiring an online lobby (especially dead lobby) of numerous people being there at the same time with all the different time zones (The Division's Last Stand 50 wins that require 16 players), and glitched trophies due to lacking servers sucks too.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lum said:

While Death Stranding's gameplay was oddly fun given how repetitive and how plain the open world is, after awhile the game does eventually get stale. I didn't think the story and characters were all that great either compared to Kojima's story and characters with the MGS franchise.

I honestly think Death Stranding is fun when you’re working on primary objectives. I found the game it’s most enjoyable when you’re on foot and have to plan your route and ration your supplies. Once zipline and roads are introduced the game became less fun (but very useful for repetitive side missions). The story had potential, but cringeworthy dialogue and its convoluted narrative hold it back from being great. Overhyped game, but I oddly enjoyed of the experience.

Edited by xHydroBoltx

1 minute ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

Cause you gave away a great console with $300+ with games for free, yeah okay I'll definitely believe that. Also, the Switch has a great library

The receiver couldn't afford it so I gave it to them, the receiver of the games is also struggling with $. It has almost the entire library, I finished Zelda and xeno. 

I also gave a VitaTV to a member here who I've never met. People like me exist.

I have a few unpopular opinions.

TLoU series is trash.

BioShock 2 is amazing

Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XII are amazing.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is extremely slow.

Horizon Zero Dawn isn’t good in anyway except for the visuals, visuals are great.

that’s all I can think of right now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, xHydroBoltx said:

Overhyped game, but I oddly enjoyed of the experience.

Wish I had a more positive opinion of this game more than I currently do now, especially since it was one of my more anticipated games last year.

1 hour ago, Kasamyst said:

I have a few unpopular opinions.

TLoU series is trash.

BioShock 2 is amazing

Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy XII are amazing.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is extremely slow.

Horizon Zero Dawn isn’t good in anyway except for the visuals, visuals are great.

that’s all I can think of right now.

It's weird, I also didn't like Tlou though I think it's a top quality game. I think it was the cast, I f'n hated on both of the main characters.

• Like 1

Welp, time to potentially piss off a few people, but here's some of mine:

• Skies of Arcadia is insanely overly praised. I was looking forward to playing this game for years, and when I finally get around to it, it's just a standard JRPG with some air pirate shit thrown in. The battles, especially the ship battles, take so long and are so mind numbingly easy most of the time that I found myself often browsing the internet while in battles to stave off the boredom. I've played quite a number of JRPGs, including ones that are a lot older from the NES/SNES, etc. but usually battles in those games don't last for so painfully long. Aside from how sluggish it is, the characters really aren't that great or memorable, and the story is just standard JRPG flair for the most part. The only reason I really even mention this game is because I've been seeing some growing hype for a remaster/remake lately. I just hope if they do remake it, the battles don't take literally 1-2 hours like the final boss in the game took me.

• Naughty Dog games are generally kinda bad, coming from someone that's played most of them. Jak 2 and 3 were fucking awful, and the Uncharted games might as well just be movies with some predictable gameplay and Tomb Raider climbing thrown in. The original Crash games were fun but just felt like corridor obstacle courses, Spyro felt like it had its own little worlds to explore. Last of Us was kinda boring, haven't even touched the 2nd game yet but I sadly know most of the spoilers now.

• The Nintendo Switch is the most overrated console I've ever seen. It has inherit hardware issues (e.g. joycon stick drift), the base console is way too big and bulky for comfortable handheld use or travelling, half of its major library is just ports/remasters, and the new games it does have have often been rather disappointing for me. I really just don't get the hype, personally. I guess if you didn't have a Wii U there's a lot of new content on the Switch, but as someone that's had every Nintendo console since the N64 and Gameboy Color, it's very lacklustre for me.

And finally, and this is gonna be long... The Pokemon games. God, where do I start? This actually used to be my favourite series growing up, but after the 5th gen, everything just steadily went downhill. I'm sure I don't need to mention the terrible animations, Pokemon just hopping on the spot to do an attack, propulsion based attacks not coming out of the Pokemon's mouths/cannons/etc. The storylines in the games have never been the highlight, but they've only gotten worse as well. There's always some gimmick they thrown into each new gen/region and then usually take it away again the next or 2 gens after.

There's been zero post-game content for the most past since 6th gen. There's still no voice acting in the mainline games after all these years, the graphics still always look like they're from 2 console gens ago, and they're still making you pay for stuff that should have been in the standard game, except now it's in DLC rather than 3rd versions. Oh, and you can't have all the Pokemon any more even though that's been a staple for the past 7 gens, and you have to pay something ridiculous like £12/$16 a year or something to get more Pokemon storage AND transfer them. You have to pay even more to get them into GO faster. Pretty sure you can only trade using the Home app now as well, even though, again, that's been a staple in-game feature since the series' inception. I really hate just how monetised the series has become, it's obviously always been about money, but now it really seems like they're trying to think of every little thing to squeeze every last penny out of their customers.

These games really are just the same shit over and over and over again, the only reason they still sell so well is because of how beloved the series has become. They aren't good games on their own, not at all. It still irks me that 5th gen had one of the best storylines in the series, for a Pokemon game. And that's really just all that needs to be said, it's good for Pokemon, it's not so great on its own. I've never liked how Pokemon seems to have its own standard, there's a lot of shit people let Pokemon get away with that they would shit all over companies for (coughEAcough). I honestly think the series should have just stuck to 2D, or gotten better developers. Gamefreak couldn't even figure out how to fit Kanto into Gold/Silver without outside help.

• Like 1

-the more futuristic is a CoD game, the worse, what is that of running around walls and becoming invisible? Are you a soldier or Spider-man? 

-Pokemon, I remember when I knew all the names of all of them from 1st to 4th gen, but the new gens, what is that?!

-Souls games are not that difficult, you just have no patience

-PS3 is the best gen, and it's not bc this is my ps3-project account, I also enjoy ps4 but man, ps3 is ps3.

-As someone said before, your trophy log is not that impressive if you have each game repeated 4 times, but I understand that you do it if you have 200+ plats.

-This whole Bethesda thing... I don't even know what to say about it

• Like 3

On 10/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, TheArcadeKid said:

As for Shenmue, it has to be said that there was no huge demand for it after all - people were caught up in the E3 hype when the third game was announced, and then lost interest again. Shenmue 1 & 2 HD didn't perform especially well, and Shenmue III performed abysmally. If the remaster is an example of preservation, as you suggest, then it failed spectacularly. The series is dormant again. Why? Because the world has moved on. As far as future generations are concerned, there is no huge loss.

I said in my original post that I'm not actively against the preservation of games. My point remains that preservation isn't nearly as effective, and therefore not nearly as important, as some preservationists would like to believe.

Preservation isn't about reviving series, what is this nonsense?  Preservation is 100% about getting a game onto usable and/or more accessible media.  Doesn't matter if it's a PS4/Xbox disc, a Nintendo Switch cart, or a PC download (a cracked PC release may live on longer than console media fwiw).  It didn't produce a game that new generations love, but the series has so many ways to played and will live on much longer now for the few new gamers that did and will enjoy it.

You can argue it probably wasn't worth it in terms of the money Ys and Sega put into the remasters and Shenmue III... but that has nothing to do with preservation.  Preservation isn't about how many new people like an old game, it's whether or not any new people can play that old game period.

The fact they could play Shenmue and didn't like it, is a screaming success in terms of preservation.

EDIT: While a lot of games may not warrant any substantial effort to preserve, Shenmue isn't an example that.  The game was absolutely pioneering and earned its opportunity to not get lost to the channels of time quite yet, whether a generation of gamers fellating eachother to Fortnite streams has deemed it worthy or not.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Batman Arkham Origins is the best of the trilogy (I know it's not an official trilogy). Arkham Knight is overcomplicated, tedious and boring.

Arkham Asylum is a masterpiece but today it feels a bit rough around the edges and clunky. Arkham City was a disappointment for me - too all over the place, it had its moments but overall lacked the great pacing and direction of Asylum. The city looked bland. The story was stupid.

Origins does everything right for me - great pacing, visuals, atmosphere (wintertime, Chirstmas), boss fights!, verticality!, detective mode. It takes place at the beginning of Batman's career when people were still unsure if he was a hero or a villain. Underrated and underappreciated game understandably so because most people were tired of the formula.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

EDIT: While a lot of games may not warrant any substantial effort to preserve, Shenmue isn't an example that.  The game was absolutely pioneering and earned its opportunity to not get lost to the channels of time quite yet, whether a generation of gamers fellating eachother to Fortnite streams has deemed it worthy or not.

Kids who play Fortnite nowadays weren't even born when Shenmue came out in the late 1990s. So it doesn't matter because they think that old game is shit anyways.

20 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Welp, time to potentially piss off a few people, but here's some of mine:

• Skies of Arcadia is insanely overly praised. I was looking forward to playing this game for years, and when I finally get around to it, it's just a standard JRPG with some air pirate shit thrown in. The battles, especially the ship battles, take so long and are so mind numbingly easy most of the time that I found myself often browsing the internet while in battles to stave off the boredom. I've played quite a number of JRPGs, including ones that are a lot older from the NES/SNES, etc. but usually battles in those games don't last for so painfully long. Aside from how sluggish it is, the characters really aren't that great or memorable, and the story is just standard JRPG flair for the most part. The only reason I really even mention this game is because I've been seeing some growing hype for a remaster/remake lately. I just hope if they do remake it, the battles don't take literally 1-2 hours like the final boss in the game took me.

• Naughty Dog games are generally kinda bad, coming from someone that's played most of them. Jak 2 and 3 were fucking awful, and the Uncharted games might as well just be movies with some predictable gameplay and Tomb Raider climbing thrown in. The original Crash games were fun but just felt like corridor obstacle courses, Spyro felt like it had its own little worlds to explore. Last of Us was kinda boring, haven't even touched the 2nd game yet but I sadly know most of the spoilers now.

• The Nintendo Switch is the most overrated console I've ever seen. It has inherit hardware issues (e.g. joycon stick drift), the base console is way too big and bulky for comfortable handheld use or travelling, half of its major library is just ports/remasters, and the new games it does have have often been rather disappointing for me. I really just don't get the hype, personally. I guess if you didn't have a Wii U there's a lot of new content on the Switch, but as someone that's had every Nintendo console since the N64 and Gameboy Color, it's very lacklustre for me.

Man I loved Skies on the DC when it was new, Not sure about now.

Naughty Dog, Never finished any of their games except tlou.

Lol, I think so many people feel bad that they paid so much for it. Except for kids because their parents paid for it.