Every decision I make is bad

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 1:05 PM, theSpirae said:

For me, this was the weakest Telltale game. It didn't make me care about any of the characters (watched the series, read the books) and all choices felt meaningless because at the end they didn't matter at all; like in any other Telltale game.

So why are you so bothered if you knew this was how TellTale does things?

If it works in the moment that's good enough for me IMO. Illusion of choice is never necessarily a good thing but it can be thematically fitting sometimes. E.g this game and Dragon Age II - much like the source material sometimes there is nothing you can do. You're the good guy, and you're going to lose anyways. 

But when making those surface level/irrelevant choices I felt like I actually did have some control, even if I didn't in reality and that's better than an awful lot of games like Skyrim that don't even try.

3 hours ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

If it works in the moment that's good enough for me IMO. Illusion of choice is never necessarily a good thing but it can be thematically fitting sometimes. E.g this game and Dragon Age II - much like the source material sometimes there is nothing you can do. You're the good guy, and you're going to lose anyways. 

But when making those surface level/irrelevant choices I felt like I actually did have some control, even if I didn't in reality and that's better than an awful lot of games like Skyrim that don't even try.

Bordelands was quite enjoyable and having watched and read GoT material I was interested to see Telltales take on it.

There's a difference between trying and pretending.

• Like 1

What I really dislike in games like this is when the dialogue choices I am given isn't what the character actually ends up saying. That means I will just go with the driest interpretation. But all of a sudden that comment is sarcastic, or something I thought was sarcastic wasn't. etc I end up not making the choice that I wanted and I doubt it would have made much difference anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

What I really dislike in games like this is when the dialogue choices I am given isn't what the character actually ends up saying. That means I will just go with the driest interpretation. But all of a sudden that comment is sarcastic, or something I thought was sarcastic wasn't. etc I end up not making the choice that I wanted and I doubt it would have made much difference anyway.

I’ve always felt the same way. The dialogue options should be exactly what is said, not some fancy alternative. I’ve never really understood why it’s like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably I'm pretty biased because I love the TV show to the bone, but I found Telltale's Game of Thrones almost as entertaining as any season of the TV series.

I pretty much cared for every character, maybe Mira is an exception, but I really liked the King's Landing bits of scenery and well known characters. Story was good in my opinion, of course it feels like a sub-story, but it was well put in.

I can't think how anyone would enjoy the game without having seen the first 4 seasons of the show, though. If you haven't played it yet, make yourself a favor and watch it at least until season 4. Then you can play and enjoy the game. 

The first episode of the game starts with a heavy TV show spoiler. You've been warned.

• 4 weeks later...

I never watched the show (got the game free from Plus) so I have no idea if my decisions are reflecting what the characters would actually do. The worst is they will tell me to pledge loyalty to someone and since I don't know anyone's names I just pick something and hope for the best :P

On 11/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, MMDE said:

That is what all these games are like. I pick something like "How could you help me?" and it ends up being "How could YOU help me" in this really sarcastic voice. 

I was like "no, I meant it honestly...please how can you aide my family"

• Like 1

As others have said, welcome to Game of Thrones. Overall, you are making your own story come to life through the tough choices you do make, so I think choosing options that are opposite to my first pick may make the story a bit more intriguing.

Edited by Lawless_Llama

• 2 months later...

Just got almost everyone killed in the ambush. It might not have been the smartest choice but shit, this is depressing man. Game makes you believe you can make a difference and then just breaks your heart. Time after time. If this has been on PS+ to get me into the TV series it has backfired badly.

edit: Nevertheless credits to the devs. Haven't play many games that affected me so deeply.

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

On 11/2/2017 at 4:24 AM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

To me, this is the key factor in Telltale games, at least the ones I've played. Even though I know my choices don't matter, in the moment, it feels like they do. The story carries you along and makes you feel in control, even though in reality you're on rails.

2 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Just got almost everyone killed in the ambush. It might not have been the smartest choice but shit, this is depressing man. Game makes you believe you can make a difference and then just breaks your heart. Time after time. If this has been on PS+ to get me into the TV series it has backfired badly.

edit: Nevertheless credits to the devs. Haven't play many games that affected me so deeply.

Actually I totally watched the show based off the game.  I was curious to see how it connected and I got hooked on the show. 

Check it out if you get the chance :)

Also don't worry, the show has many of those "well that ended badly" type scenes as well ^_^

1 hour ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Which is exactly why I'm gonna avoid it.

If the game affected you so deeply, why wouldn't you want to watch a show on the same level.

Plus, it's not all bad. And those moments when everything works out make it all worthwhile.

Yes, I said it did affect me. But not in a positive way. It was a terrible feeling to see nearly all the characters you sympathize with get slaughtered in the end. Asher's mother getting speared with a sword was especially heartbreaking. They get shit on for the entire game and there's next to no redemption at all. All I was trying to say is that I respect how the devs made me care so much about the characters that I felt bad for them to begin with. Definitely a remarkable experience, though not a pleasant one.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2018 at 2:48 AM, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Yes, I said it did affect me. But not in a positive way. It was a terrible feeling to see nearly all the characters you sympathize with get slaughtered in the end. Asher's mother getting speared with a sword was especially heartbreaking. They get shit on for the entire game and there's next to no redemption at all. All I was trying to say is that I respect how the devs made me care so much about the characters that I felt bad for them to begin with. Definitely a remarkable experience, though not a pleasant one.

I absolutely love the TV show and I'm personally glad I've watched it, but you basically just summed up the TV show there, so you're not wrong in wanting to avoid it. It can be the most heart-wrenching show that has floored me time and time again (and I still get back up and go back for more), but I don't blame people for wanting to avoid it. So many good people get so much bad stuff happen to them (which is the point of the show I guess) that it really does affect you. I think about season 6 I started to feel like the good people were starting to have victories, and that makes it all the more better for me to watch. But yeah, I would totally recommend the TV show because it's so brilliant, but I can understand why you don't want to watch it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eraezr said:
  Hide contents

Yeah the bad ending was locked for Mira. I'm just glad I made her play her cards the best way she could have done it in her shoes, and died with silent dignity against the mindless mob.

Same. I felt bad but had my head raised high the entire time. Some small solace from that at least.

I played this on PS4 a while ago (before I'd ever seen the show) and somehow didn't mind it, but I recently re-played it on PS3 (now that I've seen the show) and it's absolutely infuriating.

Yes, the show is bleak and terrible things happen, but they happen because people make bad choices. Things like the Red Wedding didn't just come out of nowhere -- they came out of a series of Robb's selfish choices that pissed off other powerful people.

But in the game, no matter what you do, you're screwed. Choices aren't actually choices, they're just a means of funneling you to one particular outcome. If you don't pick that outcome when presented with it as an option, it'll just keep asking you until you have no choice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

But in the game, no matter what you do, you're screwed. Choices aren't actually choices, they're just a means of funneling you to one particular outcome. If you don't pick that outcome when presented with it as an option, it'll just keep asking you until you have no choice.

You have put into words what bothered me! 

The first death of a character I played, that one really stuck with me. That was well done and unexpected. Nothing I could do to prevent it in the game, but if it were real what could they have done to prevent it? And why would they do those things? It was unexpected, outside their control, and if the game wanted to shock me it did a very good job. That one was well done. 

But the other storylines after that? Especially that whole King's Landing storyline? She dug her grave and by the end of the first chapter none of the choices she had available per the game were ones I would have taken. I stopped caring about her because she was already dead, it was just a matter of time.

The squire will probably make it okay though.

15 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Yeah the bad ending was locked for Mira.

1 hour ago, SolarCat02 said:

I stopped caring about her because she was already dead, it was just a matter of time.

The bad ending? Already dead? She only even had an "ending" because of the choice you made. You didn't do what it takes to stay alive in the world of Game of Thrones.

Even in the show there is a character who went through far worse than Mira including multiple forced marriages. She could have chose to die at any point in the story but she didn't and guess what? She's doing pretty well for herself at the moment.