Top 10 Series that Deserve to Die by Gametrailers!

ZeroXOF

I have to agree with them regarding Xillia though. Story was decent at best, but doesn't hold a candle to other RPGs. The impressions of the newest titles give the same vibe. Will have to check lots of critics and reviews for them.

I can't speak directly for Hyperdimension (never played one), but you'll be surprised how many people agree with them. Dunno if they're haters or not.

AC? yeah, they need to put it off for a while.

But where's COD? heck, Black Ops 3 looked like a Crysis game wannabe at first sight imo.

On another hand, we haven't even seen the new MGS that has the core mechanics (assuming it will contain them) without Kojima and some of you are already saying or thinking it won't be good? it's like he is unique and above every other possible director for the series :facepalm:. You should judge after that MG game comes out. Even so, it's understandable looking at many great sagas being killed off or turned to trash over the years.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 2

None of these series should die off completely, the developers just need to take a long look at what issues need to be fixed before they ship out a game, rather than focusing on time saving and potential profit.

That's the main reason why Saint's Row went downhill after SR3 and Assassin's Creed got super glitchy after the first few, if people buy the games enough the owners will just assume everyone is fine with the shit they produce later on.

• Like 2

hmm,.. i agree the above topic. some of  them deserve to End, because if they keep making the series with similar gameplay mechanic or story , it may just become a downside & lack of opportunity to make New Game

Edited by cK-NEw_0NStaT

OMG stop! You're gonna give me nightmares!  :shakefist:

You know what's even more nightmarish? Imagine if Konami wanted to hurt us and Kojima so bad, all they have to do is make Snake and the gang into yugiogh cards and taunt us forever. 

Funny how Sonic is here but not Mario especially or Zelda or even Pokemon............ or Call of Duty.

I was thinking that too but I guess popularity will cloud people's minds.  

Edited by ZeroXOF
  • Like 2

I don't get why people hate on things this much. sure I don't like certain series, but if I don't support it most of them fade away. CoD is probably the game at biggest fault as it encouraged everyone to make annual game releases, but they don't even put it on their list.

The series they've put are just niche in some instances if the fans want more and the company is delivering i don't see whats wrong with it.

Edited by Superbuu3

Can't speak for most of these games as I've never played them but I totally agree with the first two.

Sonic - Sonic Team can take a break to work on other things and try to see what made the originals so good with a clear head, give the reins of the franchise to a team that actually does know what made old-school Sonic so great or just kill the franchise and move on.

Assassin's Creed - Assassin's Creed should have died after 3, now Ubisoft is just making mindless yearly sequels one after the other that all feel the same (not that the franchise wasn't getting stale before 3, though).

Funny how Sonic is here but not Mario especially or Zelda or even Pokemon............ or Call of Duty.

Some of these shooters totally need to die off instead of just making the same stuff over and over again year after year.

Nintendo also needs to realize that original IP are an option instead of just making sequel after sequel over and over again. Pokémon in particular never was the same after Generation 2 (by which I mean the franchise never again added anything new and just felt the same with every sequel).

Can't speak for most of these games as I've never played them but I totally agree with the first two.

Sonic - Sonic Team can take a break to work on other things and try to see what made the originals so good with a clear head, give the reins of the franchise to a team that actually does know what made old-school Sonic so great or just kill the franchise and move on.

Assassin's Creed - Assassin's Creed should have died after 3, now Ubisoft is just making mindless yearly sequels one after the other that all feel the same (not that the franchise wasn't getting stale before 3, though).

Some of these shooters totally need to die off instead of just making the same stuff over and over again year after year.

Nintendo also needs to realize that original IP are an option instead of just making sequel after sequel over and over again. Pokémon in particular never was the same after Generation 2 (by which I mean the franchise never again added anything new and just felt the same with every sequel).

Generation 3 was good to, especially after the great battle speed/pace improvement and separation of special and physical stats. (Definitely disagree with this. I mean, this is obviously false: Contest, Berry Mixer, Berry planting, Secret Bases, Online play, Battle Frontier, Character Customization, Mega Evolution, etc. I find the general complaints of sequels being too similar stupid. That's the point of a sequel - a continuation of the same game in the same universe with mostly the same gameplay, not a new IP or spinoff which those type of games are what changes gameplay entirely. The only changes in sequels are new game-play modes/additions, which Pokemon always does, and a new or progressing story, something else pkmn does. It's probably Pkmn being mostly annual why this complaint is made. I don't see people complaining about Uncharted 2, Dead Space 2, Dragon Ball Budokai 3, Super Smash Bros 4, etc being complained about for being too similar to their prequels. Like seriously, yall expect sequels to be like spinoffs or new IPs.)

Edited by Mar

It's not worth to mention Call of Duty series, either Battlefield franchise, they both will do games even we don't want to. Same goes to some particular sports games who didn't change a bit year by year, so fuck em'. Well, The Sims, Dead Island, Sonic are good picks. I like the setting of AC, they should just stop to release every year and working to improve the series. 

Assassins Creed in my opinion is a yearly franchise that keeps getting better every year, except Unity that was awful. Ubisoft has already said they have the end of assassins creed planned but i dont think it is in the near future. Dead Island on the other hand could be better if they take their time and fix the glitches quickly or just make sure there isnt that many unlike in the previous two installments. I also dont think franchises need to die until they explain the storyline completely because then it would always make you wonder "what if".

Metal Gear series has to end, without Kojima any future Konami release with "Metal Gear" in its title can be everything but a Metal Gear game. Konami may and most likely will continue making Metal Gear games, but they will lack the essence of previous true Metal Gear games, unless they ask Kojima for advice.

Regarding Assassin's Creed series, I have yet to play the games after Ezio's story, although I'm 100% convinced that Ubisoft's yearly AC release policy is a terrible idea.

• Like 1

12 games in 5 years is overkill, I'm bit on their side on that one. I don't want it killed but slowed down

That's something that seems to kill a lot of franchises lately; the franchise moves too fast to keep up with.

I can't tell you how many people call the new CoD game shit without actually playing it. Their true reasons for avoiding it though is because year after year a new game releases. People hardly have time to play the new one that comes out because one year later there's just gonna be another one so they feel "What's the point?". This is my main reason that I'm gonna jump out of Hyperdimension Neptunia after re;birth 1. They're not bad games there's just too many of them.

There's also the fact that game development is a grueling process. Some of the greatest games of all time have taken at least 3 years (sometimes more) to build and with an annual schedule to keep up with there's hardly time to create something new and fresh for the series. Many of these franchises use multiple development teams but this still doesn't work out as the creative stance on the franchise in question varies between dev teams and it ultimately makes it confusing; even for veterans. It gets to a point where it feels like the publisher is saying "We're just exploiting the hell out of our fans now". Mario, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Every EA Sports franchise and (in Japan) Hyperdimension Neptunia have fallen victim to this.

This is also why the publisher Rockstar and dev teams like Naughty Dog and CD Projekt Red are geniuses. They like to have full control over their franchises and space out the releases of sequels so it doesn't feel overwhelming and they know what direction they and the fans want the franchise to move towards. There will be enough of a fanbase to have played said game and take a little break from it before they start craving a sequel.

Annual franchises aren't bad. Mario and Call of Duty have some great games but it's like I said, there's just too many games for them.

• Like 3

Maybe "Deserve to end" would have been a nicer way to put it. As great as the MGS franchise is, every single game has been written as if it was the last one in the series and the lore is now horribly convoluted as a result. Kojima himself has said on many occasions that he would have quit after 2 if it wasn't for the fans. Saints Row has constantly gotten crazier with every entry in the series and there is a point at which you just can't get any more insane, which i feel they've reached with SR4. The Sims have done pretty much everything that can be done with the concept. It's public opinion that Assassin's Creed has run out of any creative spark they once had. Sonic is Sonic.

But then again i didn't see the video so imight be making a fool of myself here.

haha HDN 12 Games in 5 years?  nice simplification if you say it that way .     you know that 3 games (rebirth) are remakes for vita? so i wouldn count them extra ....  HD Noire is diffrent genre as round based tactical rpg .....  Action  unleashed is other genre too (dynasty warrior h&S) ..... HDN PP is a Visual Novel.......

i dont want to defend the high rate of releases .... but with all the spin offs and remakes you cant simple say "12 games in 5 years" ....

AC has always same gameplay .... HDN changed alot.

Im not a fanboy ... there are things i dont like in HDN (eg. recycling of monster designe)  .... but people should learn to use numbers /statistics with little bit more knowlegde.

• Like 2

I don't think that any of these series should die, or the ones that are being suggested in the comments of the video, if people still love the series then it shows that what they are doing is fine, if you don't like a series just don't play it, I used to play pokemon all the time until pokemon x and y when it just got repetitive for me, so I quit but does that mean I want the series to die, FUCK NO, because there are people out there that fucking love it, so why should a series die just because I don't like it anymore or never liked it or I think it became repetitive.

Edited by TheVader66

That's the point of a sequel - a continuation of the same game in the same universe with mostly the same gameplay, not a new IP or spinoff which those type of games are what changes gameplay entirely.

I'm not against sequels, I'm not even against yearly sequels (the PS2 era gave us a lot of great yearly franchises), I'm just against developers mindlessly milking a series until the cow's dead. Some franchises' ambition just went way beyond their initial creative spark and that's why I believe some of them should be shelved, or at least rest for a long while.

It's probably Pkmn being mostly annual why this complaint is made.

Pokémon had 6 generations spread across 20 years. I'd hardly call that annual. The reason I said Pokémon never was the same after Generation 2 was because it just felt the same to me. Yes, the point of a sequel is to be "a continuation of the same game in the same universe with mostly the same gameplay", but when the gameplay improves nothing noteworthy and the story becomes forgettable and independent from its predecessors... is there even a point to it? The second generation had completely different Gyms from the first, allowed you to revisit the Kanto region and re-challenge its gym leaders, and the story continued where the first generation left off, to the point where you could even fight the main character and the rival from those games. You see nothing of the sort in Generation 3 and onward.

(Not to mention those Pokémon designs keep getting crazier and crazier).

It's probably Pkmn being mostly annual why this complaint is made. I don't see people complaining about Uncharted 2, Dead Space 2, Dragon Ball Budokai 3, Super Smash Bros 4, etc being complained about for being too similar to their prequels. Like seriously, yall expect sequels to be like spinoffs or new IPs.)

Again, not against yearly sequels. And I can't speak for the other games as I haven't played them, but Budokai 3 was not only on a yearly schedule (though it was the last game in the series to be so), the gameplay and graphics improved a lot compared to both Budokai 1 and 2.

And...

Funny how Sonic is here but not Mario especially, Zelda, even Pokemon or. . . Call of Duty.

Why are you contradicting yourself?

Makes me wonder what helps Sonic survive despite the majority of his games over the last decade being critically panned.

Legacy I would guess. Also the two Sonic make just for Nintendo were successful and Generations wasn't so bad.  

Annual franchises aren't bad. Mario and Call of Duty have some great games but it's like I said, there's just too many games for them.

I agree with your post. I remember people speculating the same thing with MGS, maybe it's true and that's why Kojima left?  I couldn't imagine having 1-5 MGS games annually for 5 years, it would destroy the franchise for me. 

haha HDN 12 Games in 5 years?  nice simplification if you say it that way .     you know that 3 games (rebirth) are remakes for vita? so i wouldn count them extra ....  HD Noire is diffrent genre as round based tactical rpg .....  Action  unleashed is other genre too (dynasty warrior h&S) ..... HDN PP is a Visual Novel.......

You certainly can't call out anyone without sorting out your knowledge first. I said 12 games, I never talked about factors of the franchise I talked about how many releases there are. 

i dont want to defend the high rate of releases .... but with all the spin offs and remakes you cant simple say "12 games in 5 years" ....

That's not how gaming works. If a game is officially released and is part of the franchise, it shall be counted as such. 

AC has always same gameplay .... HDN changed alot.

I agree to some extent, but me and Konno Yuuki were talking about the HDN franchise not AC.

I'm not a fanboy ... there are things i dont like in HDN (eg. recycling of monster designe)  .... but people should learn to use numbers /statistics with little bit more knowlegde.

You may not be a fan boy but you sure got defensive like one. I think you should work out your numbers game first before calling anyone out on theirs. 

*laughs at the mention of Hyperdimension Neptunia*

Oh...wait, they were serious?

Slow down would be the correct term for it. It's a good franchise/series but overloading it will put the franchise in danger. 

Edited by ZeroXOF

I agree with a few of these such as the AC series and MSG only due to Kojima's departure from Konami. However, just as mentioned before, regardless of how much money it brings in, why is COD not on this list? I only a franchise like that as a cancer to the video game industry. Then again, i think the biggest cancer is the recent trend of business practices taken by game publishers and developers. Hopefully things will chage for the better, soon.

Even though I have enjoyed Unity, AC probably needs a rest to allow some innovation.  Note to ubisoft, more collectibles doesn't make the game 'bigger' or 'more epic' it just makes a grind.

Every Metal Gear game has 'finished' the story making the next one a narrative mess, Kojima has gone, lets not spoil his legacy.  COD is an interesting cases as different studios develop the different game lines in parallell.  It would be better in a way if they were't all banded under the COD brand.

Quality > Quantity is usually the better policy for games, but if the markets still there, the games will still come.  The big yearly franchises for me tend to go to the 'wait for a sale' list.  The good thing about the year franchising of games is steady revenue for developers they can push into smaller more interesting projects.  If Watchdogs 2 has to happen for game like Valiant Hearts to get going then I'm kinda ok with that.