National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ugh, another really rough night for officiating.  This crowd sounds like they're ready to riot.

NY/NJ fans boo everything.  There have been 3 personal foul penalties, all called on the Cowboys, fairly comical as it takes two to tango.

22 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Will Hernandez of the Giants could have been called for 4 personal fouls himself.  Yet, they have all gone on Dallas.  Crazy.

Yea it disgusting because he honestly started all of them but I guess the refs just got what they got and called it on the Cowboys.  I am just glad the Cowboys won and I can go to bed happy 

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

NY/NJ fans boo everything.  There have been 3 personal foul penalties, all called on the Cowboys, fairly comical as it takes two to tango.

I'm not at all about being on the officials case, I'm about taking half of the damn rule book and burning it (honestly, if they really cared about player safety then there wouldn't be two teams on the field every Thursday).  Or at least knowing what "clear and obvious" means, because the ability to challenge PI one way or the other just seems like a token rule they don't enforce that was implemented solely to say they "did something".  I'm to the point where I honestly feel bad for NFL officials, they have an impossible job and it's just getting worse every year with new rule after new rule.  

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm not at all about being on the officials case, I'm about taking half of the damn rule book and burning it (honestly, if they really cared about player safety then there wouldn't be two teams on the field every Thursday).  Or at least knowing what "clear and obvious" means, because the ability to challenge PI one way or the other just seems like a token rule they don't enforce that was implemented solely to say they "did something".  I'm to the point where I honestly feel bad for NFL officials, they have an impossible job and it's just getting worse every year with new rule after new rule.  

yeah, it was inevitable, they bastardized it like they did with the “completing the catch” nonsense to the point no one knew what a catch was anymore.  Thankfully, they relaxed that and are using better common sense.

i think they are doing the PI overturns correctly so far.  It needs to be egregious to overturn (like in the Saints-Rams playoff game).  PI is such a subjective call anyway, they should not be overturning borderline PI’s or that opens up a whole new can of worms.  

7 hours ago, Conker said:

Result and the black cat was the best part of the game :D 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-nfl-reportedly-considering-relocating-franchise-to-london-on-permanent-basis-amid-la-failures/ 

London.... Fuck no, it’s so Fucking simple move them back to SAN Diego

Absolutely NONE of the owners would be OK with this, all efforts to make more international appeal aside, because the Chargers would have an unprecedented advantage over other teams due to timezone adjustments the away team would constantly need, not to mention the nightmare it would be to schedule the games outside of the novelty London games they have every year. 

12 hours ago, Conker said:

Result and the black cat was the best part of the game :D 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-nfl-reportedly-considering-relocating-franchise-to-london-on-permanent-basis-amid-la-failures/ 

London.... Fuck no, it’s so Fucking simple move them back to SAN Diego

Yea, no way Phillip Rivers is gonna pack up his family and move overseas when he'll be playing for a year or two more at most in all likelihood. That's why I'm not worried about their game against KC. The stadium will be overwhelmingly in red.

The owner of the Chargers VERY strongly denied it, today, but you never know. 

And the Panthers finally bowed to the inevitable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001073743/article/carolina-panthers-place-cam-newton-foot-on-ir

Edited by MidnightDragon

So should this be a sign of just how bad NFL football is around here?

A couple of months ago, three friends and co-workers (all Giants fans) and I made arrangements to get tickets to this upcoming Sunday's Jets-Giants game.  In the last week, all four of us independently decided that there was no purpose to spending good money on this crap, and took advantage of the fact that we hadn't actually purchased the tickets yet (and weren't obligated toa ctually do so) to back out.  Because we're all disgusted with our favorite team(s).

So instead of spending a crapton of money on tickets, parking, food, et cetera.... I can stay home, do my laundry, watch that game from the comfort of my sofa and then flip to NHL hockey (Devils-Canucks) once it's done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, acasser said:

So should this be a sign of just how bad NFL football is around here?

A couple of months ago, three friends and co-workers (all Giants fans) and I made arrangements to get tickets to this upcoming Sunday's Jets-Giants game.  In the last week, all four of us independently decided that there was no purpose to spending good money on this crap, and took advantage of the fact that we hadn't actually purchased the tickets yet (and weren't obligated toa ctually do so) to back out.  Because we're all disgusted with our favorite team(s).

So instead of spending a crapton of money on tickets, parking, food, et cetera.... I can stay home, do my laundry, watch that game from the comfort of my sofa and then flip to NHL hockey (Devils-Canucks) once it's done.

The way both teams are playing, I wouldn't spend money to go see them. I'm near Toronto, so Bills games look fun again.

I know this is the NFL thread but, I really thought the Devils were going somewhere this year. Sadly, it looks like Hall will walk unless he gets dealt at the trade deadline. Nucks are a fun team to watch, so should be a good game.......well better than Giants/Jets anyway lol.

So who's out first, Gase, Quinn, or Kitchens?  And I'll go ahead and just assume Acasser's vote.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say Quinn.  The Falcons had their chance and blew it hard!!  Since Shanahan left the team's been a train wreck on both sides, I get the offense taking a leap off of a cliff but Quinn's supposed to be a defensive guy. His seat has been hot for the longest and his firing seems inevitable at this point.

If I was making the decision though, Kitchens would be as gone as it gets.  Dude obviously has zero control over his players.  When following uniform code becomes an issue MORE THAN ONCE in the first half of a season that's saying something, I can't even imagine how he's handling the real problems that are plaguing the team.

Edited by skidmarkgn

11 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So who's out first, Gase, Quinn, or Kitchens?  And I'll go ahead and just assume Acasser's vote.

Dan Quinn in Atlanta is "dead man walking".  It's not a matter of "if" he is going to get fired, but when.  They're 1-7 now, and they have the Saints twice and the Panthers twice in the next 29 days because they play New Orleans in one of those ridiculous Thursday night matchups.  They're going to lose at least 12 games, because they also have San Francisco on their remaining schedule.

I think the case to fire Adam Gase gets stronger by the week.  He hand-picked his General Manager this summer, so that's a tally mark on his side of the ledger, but his job is going to hinge on "fixing" Sam Darnold to a significant extent over the remainder of the season.  If he does that, he probably gets another year.  If he doesn't, I think talk radio and the fan base can pressure the idiot interim Owner into a knee-jerk firing.  And it really doesn't help Gase that there's a logical "interim head coach" on the staff in Gregg Williams, who I think has done a pretty respectable job making chicken salad from the chicken feces he was given.

From this external viewpoint, I actually think Freddie Kitchens is reasonably safe for this season so long as he doesn't get a locker room revolt.  If only because Cleveland is already viewed as something between a joke and a catastrophe and changing Head Coaches (again) is only going to further the impression of instability.

tl;dr?  I think Quinn is a certainty, Gase is "more likely than not" but falls short of a guarantee, and Kitchens will survive.

I'm willing to bet Newton will be traded next season

His contract is up soon and the Panthers would save $19 million if they traded him. Allen is playing well and Newton is on IR for the season. Trade him and the Panthers only take 2 mil in dead money and can acquire a few draft picks as well.

49 minutes ago, majob said:

I'm willing to bet Newton will be traded next season

His contract is up soon and the Panthers would save $19 million if they traded him. Allen is playing well and Newton is on IR for the season. Trade him and the Panthers only take 2 mil in dead money and can acquire a few draft picks as well.

Who is going to want him? Cincinnati?

A few draft picks? Carolina would be lucky to get one mid to late round pick for him. Jimmy G cost the Niners one second round pick.

He has no guaranteed money left on his contract and not much of a market for his services. I'm guessing the Panthers simply release him at the end of the year.

Speaking of Cincinnati, the Bengals coach will get another year but early returns are not good.  He was seemingly hired because he knew the greatness of Sean McVay!  Great criteria.

Dan Quinn is obviously gone.  Not sure what the Jets do with Gase or Cleveland with Kitchens (both in danger).  Nagy from the Bears should be safe.  They overachieved last year and were likely to revert to the mean.  Trubinsky is not a good QB.

Jason Garrett is probably done if they don’t make the playoffs (i.e. win the NFC East).  Pat Shurmer is trying to buy time with the Daniel Jones move but his days may be numbered too.

There will be less turnover this year because of so many 1st year coaches.

40 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Who is going to want him? Cincinnati?

A few draft picks? Carolina would be lucky to get one mid to late round pick for him. Jimmy G cost the Niners one second round pick.

He has no guaranteed money left on his contract and not much of a market for his services. I'm guessing the Panthers simply release him at the end of the year.

Agreed. The QB market in the NFL is often remarkable to me. The potential of a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round pick is so over-valued, compared with the actuality of a proven commodity.

But Newton is a different matter. He can't stay healthy (and often, it's his own fault). One of the most frustrating QBs in the NFL, because there is so much talent, but he still thinks he plays against college tacklers. If the Panthers can get a pick for him (and maybe someone will take a flier on him), then more power to him. But they will most likely (and absolutely should) release him.

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Damn, that was a nail biter. Doesn't help that most of the Chiefs offense is beat up and our defense was being our defense.

It was hilarious that the game the channel here went to ended with a failed FG by the Bills that would've gone to OT lol. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
Wrong team name.

2 hours ago, Conker said:

some interesting results today

Jets beat Giants

Atlanta dominate Saints

Browns maybe save season with win

Bears beat Lions

and yeah Bengals are 0-9 after being destroyed by Ravens

The "who is the biggest disaster" relay race started, the Dolphins passed the baton to the Jets, who then passed it to the Giants.  Meanwhile the Bengals are lapping the field.

1 minute ago, skidmarkgn said:

The "who is the biggest disaster" relay race started, the Dolphins passed the baton to the Jets, who then passed it to the Giants.  Meanwhile the Bengals are lapping the field.

don't forget the Redskins xD