National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 12/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, djb5f said:

Bears now have the inside track for NFC spot #7 beating the 1-13 Jaguars. It will be interesting if Green Bay has anything to play for next week.  Bears might get a break with Packers playing backups.

They most definitely do as both the Saints and the Seahawks could potentially take the top spot away from them with wins in week 17 (assuming the Packers lose).

On 12/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, Conker said:

And the #1 seed and only bye will also go to the last week of regular season between Packers,Saints and Seahawks

What this guy said ^

On 12/28/2020 at 6:38 AM, acasser said:

Even more fun:  It appears that they've flexed Washington-Philadelphia into primetime.  I understand it from the perspective that Washington is "win and you're in" and I don't see another game with such clarity, but a Sunday Night finale between two teams that are 10-19-1?  Yikes.

On 12/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Conker said:

Only other one they possibly could have picked was the Cardinals at Rams game

They could have flexed the Packers vs Bears game, cause that one has LOTS of playoff implications.  Packers win and they get #1 seed.  Bears fate could be pre-determined by a Cards loss, but if Cards win, the Bears would need to win or be eliminated.  If they do win, they're in.  And in that case, because of nutty 3-way tie-breaker rules, if the Packers lose and both the Saints and Seahawks win then Saints are #1 (and Packers maybe drop to 3rd??).  If Seahawks win and Packers and Saints lose, then Seahawks are #1.

This guy on Sporting News explains it very well:

Spoiler

The concern for the Packers going 1-1 is the Seahawks winning out. If the Seahawks finish 12-4, then they would have a 9-3 conference record. The Packers could fall to 12-4 by losing to the Bears, but that would keep their conference record at 9-3. The Saints can get to 12-4 with a 10-2 conference record if they win out.

A two-way tie between the Packers and Saints at 12-4 gives the top seed to the Packers, because they won at New Orleans in Week 3. A three-way tie between the Packers, Saints and the Seahawks at 12-4 gives the top seed to the Saints.

In the event the Packers and Saints lose and the Seahawks win, then it's a two-way tie between the Packers and Seahawks. The Packers and Seahawks didn't play each other, and in that case, conference records also would make them even at 9-3. The next tiebreaker is their records in common games.

The Packers went 4-1 against the the 49ers, Falcons, Vikings and Eagles. The Seahawks, before playing the 49ers again, are 4-0 against those teams. So with both teams at 12-4 without the Saints joining them, the Seahawks would then get the No. 1 seed.

Plus the Packers and Bears game will probably be much more interesting than anything 'the [redacted] team' and eagles can muster.

Edited by Matto_lsi

19 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

They most definitely do as both the Saints and the Seahawks could potentially take the top spot away from them with wins in week 17 (assuming the Packers lose).

What this guy said ^

They could have flexed the Packers vs Bears game, cause that one has LOTS of playoff implications.  Packers win and they get #1 seed.  Bears fate could be pre-determined by a Cards loss, but if Cards win, the Bears would need to win or be eliminated.  If they do win, they're in.  And in that case, because of nutty 3-way tie-breaker rules, if the Packers lose and both the Saints and Seahawks win then Saints are #1 (and Packers maybe drop to 3rd??).  If Seahawks win and Packers and Saints lose, then Seahawks are #1.

This guy on Sporting News explains it very well:

Hide contents

The concern for the Packers going 1-1 is the Seahawks winning out. If the Seahawks finish 12-4, then they would have a 9-3 conference record. The Packers could fall to 12-4 by losing to the Bears, but that would keep their conference record at 9-3. The Saints can get to 12-4 with a 10-2 conference record if they win out.

A two-way tie between the Packers and Saints at 12-4 gives the top seed to the Packers, because they won at New Orleans in Week 3. A three-way tie between the Packers, Saints and the Seahawks at 12-4 gives the top seed to the Saints.

In the event the Packers and Saints lose and the Seahawks win, then it's a two-way tie between the Packers and Seahawks. The Packers and Seahawks didn't play each other, and in that case, conference records also would make them even at 9-3. The next tiebreaker is their records in common games.

The Packers went 4-1 against the the 49ers, Falcons, Vikings and Eagles. The Seahawks, before playing the 49ers again, are 4-0 against those teams. So with both teams at 12-4 without the Saints joining them, the Seahawks would then get the No. 1 seed.

Plus the Packers and Bears game will probably be much more interesting than anything 'the [redacted] team' and eagles can muster.

Right, I had posted before the Seahawks’ win over LA.  Green Bay has a lot to,play for now.

So Chicago might need help from the Rams with a backup QB against the Cardinals (Kyler Murray also questionable).

With the uptick in the Bears offense and knowing what they bring on defense I'm wondering if they might be able to pull the win off.  Packers are the NFC national darling because the talking heads live sniffing Aaron's ass but I'm not convinced on 'em yet.  They've played four teams with a winning record and lost to three.  Anyways, Cards, Bears and to a lesser extent the Panthers are my favorite teams for the week... assuming Seattle can take care of San Fran which is never a given.

8 hours ago, djb5f said:

Big break for the Browns, grimy.  Steelers announced they are resting Big Ben Sunday and playing Mason Rudolph.  Yes that Mason Rudolph who Myles Garrett ripped off his helmet and swung it upside his head, connecting.  This could get interesting.  Browns SHOULD be a shoe-in to the playoffs now.

I was wondering why the point spread was Cleveland -7 when I checked it this morning.  I know the odds aren't in their favor, but I guess Pittsburgh isn't worried about going to Buffalo in the Divisional Round as opposed to hosting the Bills.

I don't believe Cleveland is a "shoo-in" because Pittsburgh is still a pretty good team even without Big Ben.  And because Cleveland crapped the bed a few days ago against a team that just isn't very good.  Although if both Cleveland and the Rams miss the Playoffs, that's probably worth a giggle.

8 hours ago, johnclark12 said:

Agree. Miami is the most in jeopardy at this point until if/when Buffalo announces they will rest starters. At that point, Indy is the most in trouble.

I don't believe Buffalo is going to rest starters.  They might pull them early, especially if the game is out of reach one way or the other, but they've got the inside track to the #2 seed and that may mean something.  Even if New York State decides not to allow them fans at playoff games after all.

18 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

With the uptick in the Bears offense and knowing what they bring on defense I'm wondering if they might be able to pull the win off.  Packers are the NFC national darling because the talking heads live sniffing Aaron's ass but I'm not convinced on 'em yet.  They've played four teams with a winning record and lost to three.  Anyways, Cards, Bears and to a lesser extent the Panthers are my favorite teams for the week... assuming Seattle can take care of San Fran which is never a given.

The Bears offense has made a drastic improvement since the reinsertion of Trubisky. He’s played smarter and is making throws down the field. The biggest problem with the CHI offense was every pass was in the 1-10 yard range. So defenses just packed it in. Secondly, the emergence of a running game has immensely helped. David Montgomery is probably the most overlooked back in the league. He seems to get positive yards on every play. One thing that’s plagued CHI is the musical chairs on the O-line. I don’t follow them enough to know if everybody is in their correct positions for Sunday.

Their defense is obviously their foundation and I think they started to quit on Nagy during the losing streak. Maybe with the playoffs on the line, they’ll buy back in. 
 I think the Bears can pull it off. They look much better than Arizona. The NFC has so many pretenders. Green Bay is overrated, Saints are hot/cold, Seattle’s defense is hot/cold, Jared Goff is hot/cold, some NFC East is going to get a gift. Compare that to the AFC where a team with 10 wins is going to be sitting out in next week. 

Will anybody be the least bit surprised when the Saints get a Sunday game in the Wild Card round as to grant New Orleans the possibility that Alvin Kamara will be available to them?

As for Browns-Steelers?  Are the Browns going to have the personnel to win the game, even against Pittsburgh's reserves?  And a cautionary note for the Steelers:  It frequently does not end well for teams that effectively "throw" a Week 17 matchup while resting guys for the Playoffs if they have to turn around and face the same team the following week.  Browns at Steelers (and also Dolphins at Bills) is a very real possibility for the Wild Card round; while I understand not wanting guys to get injured, Week 17 is also an excellent opportunity to send the Browns home for the season and I believe Pittsburgh ought to take advantage of that.  Especially as the Steelers haven't been playing well for several weeks.

the drought is no more, Browns are back in the playoffs

Dolphins are in trouble now after today's loss, needing the Titans or Colts now to lose

Giants arew still alive for NFC East after defeating the Cowboys today

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Conker said:

the drought is no more, Browns are back in the playoffs

Dolphins are in trouble now after today's loss, needing the Titans or Colts now to lose

Giants arew still alive for NFC East after defeating the Cowboys today

Naw, they need Indy to lose.  Tennessee is in because Miami lost

There are going to be some really bad teams in the playoffs this year.

Either Washington at 7-9 or the N.Y. Giants at 6-10!  Chicago gets a wild card at 8-8!  And then the Rams who are also playing lousy, especially without Goff.  Makes for a really boring Wild Card weekend in the NFC.

43 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

9ers fans, Garapollo's contract is in cut-and-it-doesn't-hurt mode now that 2020's over so... yay or nay on him returning next season?

There are going to be a lot of mediocre veterans available, which probably serves to water down the trade prices more than they already would be for guys like Jimmy G, Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold (I'm assuming a new Head Coach is going to want his own guy), et cetera.  I could see San Francisco drafting a guy in the 1st round and cutting bait on Garappolo.

I'm not as high on Sam Darnold as I used to be, but I'm scared to death that the Jets are going to use the #2 pick on a QB -- more likely than not Justin Fields.  After Trevor Lawrence, I don't think any of the guys who could go in the 1st round are very good and I don't really want any of them on my team.  Maybe if the Jets could snatch one up with Seattle's pick, because that's going to be very late in the round, but I want no part of Justin Fields and the other guys don't really do anything for me.

Wildcard weekend 

Saturday 

Colts @ Blls 1:05 ET CBS

Rams @ Seahawks 4:40 ET FOX

Bucs @ Washington or Giants 8:15 ET NBC

Sunday

Ravens @ Titans 1:05 ET ABC/ESPN

Bears @ Saints 4:40 ET CBS/Nickeloden 

Browns @ Steelers 8:15 ET NBC

Edited by Conker
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Oh yeah Green Bay is overrated? You know they only have the highest scoring offense in the league, the best quarterback who will be the MVP, 7 pro-bowlers, and a defense which has been surging in the second half of the year. The rest of the NFC is going to have a fun time coming into Lambeau in January. The Packers already beat the Saints in New Orleans and I’m licking my chops for a rematch with the Buccaneers. Also did you know Russell Wilson has never won in Lambeau throughout his entire career?

On 12/30/2020 at 3:09 PM, PerryToxteth said:

The Bears offense has made a drastic improvement since the reinsertion of Trubisky. He’s played smarter and is making throws down the field. The biggest problem with the CHI offense was every pass was in the 1-10 yard range. So defenses just packed it in. Secondly, the emergence of a running game has immensely helped. David Montgomery is probably the most overlooked back in the league. He seems to get positive yards on every play. One thing that’s plagued CHI is the musical chairs on the O-line. I don’t follow them enough to know if everybody is in their correct positions for Sunday.

Their defense is obviously their foundation and I think they started to quit on Nagy during the losing streak. Maybe with the playoffs on the line, they’ll buy back in. 
 I think the Bears can pull it off. They look much better than Arizona. The NFC has so many pretenders. Green Bay is overrated, Saints are hot/cold, Seattle’s defense is hot/cold, Jared Goff is hot/cold, some NFC East is going to get a gift. Compare that to the AFC where a team with 10 wins is going to be sitting out in next week. 

Yeah the Bears offense has had a resurgence against bottom tier defenses lmao ?. The Packers just exposed them for who they are again tonight. And they got lucky MVS dropped a guaranteed touchdown or the blowout would’ve been even worse. And Seattle’s defense is hot/cold? The defense has been completely carrying them in the second half of the season as the offense has gone utterly impotent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

9ers fans, Garapollo's contract is in cut-and-it-doesn't-hurt mode now that 2020's over so... yay or nay on him returning next season?

I have no problem with Jimmy G.  Why is it that every franchise cuts ties if they don't end up with a Mahomes right out the gate?  Niners had a lot of injuries this year, but only a couple that mattered, like QB.  6-10 is a far cry from where they ended last year, and most of their losses occurred when the starting QB was injured, it's not like his performance was the problem.  I'm not saying he's divine or anything like that, but I've seen a lot of QBs cut for not being the best ever when there really weren't any other options available that were better (and often, none of them are even remotely adequate in comparison).  Since the 5 or so true elite QBs in the league are locked down in long-term contracts and the Niners have no chance of getting a conceivable replacement in the draft, they should stick with Jimmy G and see what he can do next year.  Hopefully he stays healthy.  If next year is a bad year with him healthy, sure, cut the cord and bring in another mediocre replacement.  But maybe it was just as simple as key players being injured.  I'm good with giving him another year.

1 hour ago, Conker said:

Wildcard weekend 

Saturday 

Colts @ Blls 1:05 ET CBS

Rams @ Seahawks 4:40 ET FOX

Bucs @ Washington or Giants 8:15 ET NBC

Sunday

Ravens @ Titans 1:05 ET ABC/ESPN

Bears @ Saints 4:40 ET CBS/Nickeloden 

Browns @ Steelers 8:15 ET NBC

I have barely paid attention to the NFL this year so imagine my surprise that my Cleveland Brownies have finally made the playoffs in a Wild Card game against the same team that knocked them out 18 years ago - hopefully there is a different result this time around. 

Go Browns!

Thanks for posting the Wildcard schedule Conker, I don't ever recall seeing 3 teams from one division all playing in playoffs. o_O Though maybe it has happened before but I didn't realize it since I am only really familiar with the AFC North.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

I don't ever recall seeing 3 teams from one division all playing in playoffs. o_O Though maybe it has happened before but I didn't realize it since I am only really familiar with the AFC North.

It's happened a lot. 

Since the league switched to 4 divisions (02 season) it's happened 7 times: '06 NFC East, '07 AFC South, '07 NFC East, '11 AFC North, '13 AFC West, '14 AFC North, '17 NFC South

Before that it happened a lot more often cause there were only 3 divisions from '90-'02 and 3 wildcard teams, so not only did 3 teams from a division make it often, but in '94 and '97 4 teams from the NFC Central made it.

However, never have all the teams from a single division made it, but only because before this year it just wasn't possible.  I was hoping to see it this year, but it didn't happen.  Maybe next year!

• Like 1

Well Sunday night is over and Washington is the NFC East champ and will host the Bucs, but seriously did the eagles wanna win??? benching Hurts for Sudfeld who played fucking atrocious, i wouldn't wanna be in that locker room. Also Giants gonna hate the Eagles so much now.

So Black Monday awaits, who else gets fired

• Like 1