National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Eagles stay unbeaten coming back from 14-0 early, Trevor LAwrence with 4 lost fumbles

Cooper Rush moves to 4-0 as a NFL qb as Cowboys handle the Commanders

Raiders pick up win 1`

Jets pick up win 2 with late td in game Steelers benched Trubisky for Pickett

No defense in Detroit today as Seahawks win a shootout 48-44

Packers survive the Patriots and 3rd string qb Zappe winning on a fg at the gun in OT

Texans remain last winless team as Chargers after a late scare pull away for the 10 point win

Giants are 3-1 Defeating the Bears

Titans move to 2-2 with a 7 point win over the Colts scoring all there points in the 1st half and doing nothing in the 2nd half

Cardinals get win 2 defeating the poor Carolina Panthers, Mayfield struggling again, Matt Rhule's seating getting hotter by the day

Falcons upset the Browns 

Now the big drama of the Day, Ravens lose to the Bills 23-20 after they blew a 20-3 lead, but the real story is why with game tied at 20 under 5mins left, ball at Bills 2, the Ravens went for it, which was picked and then allowed Bills to drive and kick the game winning Field Goal as time expired. WHY DO YOU NOT KICK THE FG????

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Conker said:

Eagles stay unbeaten coming back from 14-0 early, Trevor LAwrence with 4 lost fumbles

Cooper Rush moves to 4-0 as a NFL qb as Cowboys handle the Commanders

Raiders pick up win 1`

Jets pick up win 2 with late td in game Steelers benched Trubisky for Pickett

No defense in Detroit today as Seahawks win a shootout 48-44

Packers survive the Patriots and 3rd string qb Zappe winning on a fg at the gun in OT

Texans remain last winless team as Chargers after a late scare pull away for the 10 point win

Giants are 3-1 Defeating the Bears

Titans move to 2-2 with a 7 point win over the Colts scoring all there points in the 1st half and doing nothing in the 2nd half

Cardinals get win 2 defeating the poor Carolina Panthers, Mayfield struggling again, Matt Rhule's seating getting hotter by the day

Falcons upset the Browns 

Now the big drama of the Day, Ravens lose to the Bills 23-20 after they blew a 20-3 lead, but the real story is why with game tied at 20 under 5mins left, ball at Bills 2, the Ravens went for it, which was picked and then allowed Bills to drive and kick the game winning Field Goal as time expired. WHY DO YOU NOT KICK THE FG????

Had they kicked the FG, Buffalo likely wins 27-23.  They were right there anyway.  Harbaugh has always been aggressive and no way he could trust his defense.

I know people say parity every season but it is really true this year.  A ridiculous percentage of games have been decided by 3 points or less.  For the most part, can’t tell which teams are good, which ones are bad, and which are lucky.   So many feel interchangeable.

Can we start talking about how awful some of these divisions are?  Because I'm a Jets fan, I'm more of an AFC guy.... and I think both the AFC North and the AFC South stink.  If Cleveland can tread water and hang around until Deshaun Watson returns, they could win that division by default.  Then you have the AFC West, who I'm not particularly convinced is any good, either.

(Somebody who follows the NFC better can chat about those divisions.  Especially tne NFC North, which the Jets have to play later on.)

And I'm still trying to figure out how the Jets are 2-2; they're improved from last year but they got really lucky against the Browns and yesterday's tilt against the Steelers was a game both sides tried multiple times to give away.  And they might be headed for 2-8, anyhow, because of the gauntlet their next six games is:  Miami, at Green Bay, at Denver, New England, Buffalo, at New England.

A couple of thoughts from this weekend.

• Kudos to the Bills, and please stop trying to look intellectual, announcers. There were lots of reasons that the Ravens lost the game, but the Bills did one great thing. While the announcers were blathering about the Ravens "letting the Bills score on purpose", the Bills went for a first down at the 1 instead of a touchdown After the poor clock management at the end of the Dolphins game, it was good to see someone on the ball.
  • Kudos to the Jets. I know @acasser has his feet firmly grounded (and with good reason), but the Jets at least are playing 4 quarters of football, and not beating themselves...too much. I think the NE games are winnable, and who knows with Miami? Green Bay, Denver and Buffalo are likely puncher's chances at best, though.
Finally, in response to the previous post, I think a lot of the NFL itself is pretty putrid. I think there are some good teams, and some parity up top, but there is a LOT of muck in the middle and at the bottom of the league. The "superdivision" of the AFC West has been a particular disappointment, and if Miami pulls a Miami, the East will become Buffalo. 

The NFC is also pretty bad. The North is interesting, though - I don't think the Packers are great, though they'll probably win since they always do. But Detroit scores a lot of points, and I think Minnesota is a pretty good team that can be very dangerous at times. The Bears are hapless; I feel like their offense sets football back 100 years...and that's when they win.
Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

but the Jets at least are playing 4 quarters of football, and not beating themselves...too much.

The game against Cincinnati?  The inflection point there was an unnecessary "roughing the passer" penalty late in the 1st quarter.  Rather than have the Bengals on 4th down and about to punt from deep in their own territory, Cincy had fresh life and scored a long TD a few plays later to break open a 1-point game.

Yesterday's game in Pittsburgh?  The Jets were going to escape the 1st half up 10-3, until an unnecessary "roughing the passer" penalty on Pittsburgh's Hail Mary at the end of the half.  Rather than an interception and a quick jog to the locker room, the Steelers got enough yardage to set up a long field goal.  Which might have mattered more than it actually did -- a fair amount, mind you -- had Pittsburgh not gone out of their way to hand the game back in the 4th quarter.

The penalties like that have been an issue for several years now, going back at least as far as Gregg Williams' time as Defensive Coordinator and maybe further than that.  Though I suppose I ought to be gratified that somebody stressed the tip drills and the catch drills in practice for the defensive backs.  Because two of Pittsburgh's INTs were tipped, two more were on Hail Mary plays (with one nullified by penalty), and one of Zack Wilson's INTs also came as a result of his receiver not making a clean catch but knocking the ball up into the air.

The Jets are better, but we all know "better" does not necessarily mean "good".

Lions are the top ranked offense in the league damn near but the defense is so terrible that they give up more points than the offense can score. A chunk of that is due to injuries on defense but Glenn is also just a terrible coordinator but I doubt he'll be fired. Sad part is that if Goff doesn't throw interceptions in the Vikings and Seahawks game the Lions are 3-1

Edited by majob

1 hour ago, majob said:

Lions are the top ranked offense in the league damn near but the defense is so terrible that they give up more points than the offense can score. A chunk of that is due to injuries on defense but Glenn is also just a terrible coordinator but I doubt he'll be fired. Sad part is that if Goff doesn't throw interceptions in the Vikings and Seahawks game the Lions are 3-1

The Lions always find a way to mess up somewhere. Back when I watched the NFL they were usually at or near the bottom. 

Awful defense. And one of my friends convinced me to watch the Seahawks and Lions game the other day. Lions made a lot of mistakes in the field, which is nothing new.

18 hours ago, majob said:

Goff’s INT was a 50-yard prayer at the very end of the game, so the loss does not fall on him. Some of Campbell’s fourth down gambles and non-gambles played more into that loss than Goff.
And the other starting CB opposite Okudah with his 6 (!) penalties. Dude, you can not tackle people without the ball down the field. How did you get to the pro level and not realize that???

Don’t worry, you’ll get the W when the Vikes head to DET.

Not sure if I should be happy or sad about the colts win as an Indy fan...

Really unfortunate that the game wasn't on live cable and was only available on Amazon Prime. Would have helped me get

some sleep. Haha.

Next question is what the hell does either of those offenses go from here? Almost pathetic how bad they both played.

Russell Wilson made 2 bad throws that lead to picks, the 2nd when in FG range and very critical espcially considering you would go up 6 and Colts offense had looked ways away from a TD tonight or a first down there wins you the game , Hackett with dreadful coaching, no surprise, not running om 4th down when the running game had been cooking, yes i know KJ Hamler was open but still, there redzone offense maintans its putrid status. Broncos are just dreadful and personally Hackett needs to go, this team atm looks no way a playoff team

Colts offense also isn't great either, Matt Ryan made some poor plays, maybe having Jonathan Taylor might've helped a bit? but still its bad, yes they get the win to cool the pressure on Frank Reich, but if they are gonna make playoffs or win division they must get way better

and Lucky us Broncos play on MNF next week 

Edited by Conker

I should shake my head at that “Roughing the Passer” call that ended Atlanta’s comeback bid against the Bucs.  It was as normal a QB sack as you’ll ever see.  

Sadly, I’ve come to expect it.  Certain players and franchises get those types of nonsense calls (think the preferential treatment for Jordan, Michael and the Chicago Bulls).

Star treatment but it doesn’t make it right. And so often it seems to come at the expense of the “have-not” franchises such as the Falcons, Lions, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, etc.

6 hours ago, djb5f said:

I should shake my head at that “Roughing the Passer” call that ended Atlanta’s comeback bid against the Bucs.  It was as normal a QB sack as you’ll ever see.  

Sadly, I’ve come to expect it.  Certain players and franchises get those types of nonsense calls (think the preferential treatment for Jordan, Michael and the Chicago Bulls).

Star treatment but it doesn’t make it right. And so often it seems to come at the expense of the “have-not” franchises such as the Falcons, Lions, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, etc.

Only got to see the "highlight" of that particular play but the game of ref-ball that Seattle and New Orleans played aired in its entirety in my area.  Every year football gets to be more and more of a chore to watch.

11 hours ago, djb5f said:

that really was a disgraceful call, like what did he do wrong?? cost Falcons a chance at conpleting the comeback 

14 hours ago, djb5f said:

Terrible call. TERRIBLE CALL.

Given the NFL's now-cozy relationship with gambling, they really need to keep their officials on the up and up. It took years for the NBA to recover from their scandal.

Did anyone see the ref's quote?

"What I had was a defender grabbed the quarterback while he was still in the pocket and unnecessarily throwing him to the ground."

Apparently, what we call a "sack" is now "unnecessarily throwing [the QB] to the ground."

Edited by starcrunch061

Is anybody surprised that Tom Brady was one of the parties involved in this questionable penalty?  Or that Jerome Boger -- maybe the worst referee in the history of the League -- was the official who threw the flag?

I haven't seen the replay, and I don't plan to go looking for it.  But I sympathize with Falcons fans (and Bucs haters) because I feel like the Jets have been on the wrong end of some pretty dubious "roughing the passer" penalties approximately 300 times the past couple of seasons.  And seemingly every one of them in a spot to significantly swing the momentum of the game.

• Like 1

Eagles got lucky twice.  Even before the shanked FG, Murray scrambled and thought he had the 1st down.  Even the scoreboard at the stadium was showing 1st and 10.  Murray spiked it, but it was 3rd and 1.  Maybe one of the Eagles fans snuck in to the control room. 

And on an unrelated note, seems like Eagles fans are going all over for the games now or the bandwagon is in full swing.  Was always a WAS or NY thing since both are about 2 hr drive, and I'm sure they'll be as loud and obnoxious as possible.  So apologies when these assholes roll into your arena.

Edited by kinnyman

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

Yeah, for all the talk about the flag on the Brady sack, the refs last night made an even worse call. 

They were both horrendous but I still think the Brady one was slightly worse.

They’ve called the whole landing on the QB with your body weight personal foul before (cost Clay Matthews and the Packers two games to start the season one year).  

Then it kind of disappeared until last night.  Still a bad call (what was Jones supposed to do) but at least I sort of understand what they were thinking.

I think the Tua injury scrutiny is making them call everything now and it is a mess.

You know how WR’s ask for a flag on every pass play.  We are heading to a place where QB’s will be asking for a flag on every sack. It’s coming.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:17 AM, acasser said:

Because I'm a Jets fan, I'm more of an AFC guy.... and I think both the AFC North and the AFC South stink.  If Cleveland can tread water and hang around until Deshaun Watson returns, they could win that division by default.

I'm honestly impressed the Jets are playing some good football & Robert Salah has them on the right track.

As far as Cleveland goes? Well...I'm in the fire Joe Woods camp & they desperately need to run the ball more often & don't ask Brissett to play hero ball. Dude's a game manager and nothing more.