National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 03/04/2019 at 5:47 AM, majob said:

AAF is done

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/source-aaf-immediately-suspend-operations?platform=amp

Looks like XFL is no longer the shortest startup football league now

That is just sad, majority owner went overboard and tried negotiating with nfl way to fast, just sucks for all the players who were trying to keep there nfl chances afloat. I hope a miracle happens and the AAF returns but I put my chances at that on 0 

I hope the XFL can get it right this time, and can be a great league for players trying to get into nfl

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, majob said:

The Patriots have been a revolving door for years, Bellichek will just whip another project into shape as per usual

8 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

https://news.yahoo.com/former-patriots-wr-hogan-signs-160127140.html

Brady is going to have to master that passing to himself play soon. :hmm: 

Wes Welker walked...Danny Amendola walked...someone else always steps up. Probably not another lacrosse player though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

One of these days, these mega contracts QBs keep getting are going to backfire.

They already have. Flacco, Osweiler, Tannehil, Stafford ect. These contracts usually have enough clauses and poison pills in them to keep the team from being sunk into them though. Kaepernick's contract was largely performance based for example.

Alright y’all!! The 2019 NFL schedule was released last night. What games are you looking forward to seeing this season? What are your favorite team record predictions? Let’s hear it! 

Me:

Browns going 11-5 AFC North champs

Eagles 12-4 NFC East champs 

The Jets play 15 games in the Eastern Time Zone this season.  And I can probably drive to all of their road games if I wanted to do so in a not-ridiculous amount of time, perhaps excepting Miami and Jacksonville.  And even those wouldn't be too egregious.

Even better, the Jets are done with the Patriots pretty early in the season.  Which makes it a lot easier to pull off a late surge to make the playoffs if that's on the table.  Which it might, because the last time the Jets had a first-year Head Coach finish with fewer than 9 wins, said Head Coach was Rich Kotite.

10 minutes ago, majob said:

Lions are only facing the Packers once this season oddly enough but I'm not complaining

Really? But they’re in the same division. Should be twice in a season. 

Edit: yep, twice they play as always. At GB week 17. 

Edited by kidson2004

On 3/30/2019 at 8:42 PM, Conker said:

One of the best NFL punters has announced his retirement https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/longtime-raiders-texans-punter-shane-lechler-retires-after-18-seasons-in-nfl/

Do you think he gets into the Hof?

Late to the party, but God, I hope not. I have plenty of beloved Volunteer punters that have had long, good careers in the NFL (the Colquitt punter dynasty!). And if any of them got injured, they could very easily be replaced by an average punter with little loss to their teams as a whole.

12 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Late to the party, but God, I hope not. I have plenty of beloved Volunteer punters that have had long, good careers in the NFL (the Colquitt punter dynasty!). And if any of them got injured, they could very easily be replaced by an average punter with little loss to their teams as a whole.

I don't know. I think punters, at times, can be underrated. Teams rely on them to be effective in making sure teams have poor field position which in turn sets you up for better field position if you get a good stop. And I think Lechler did that a lot better than anyone. I'm not saying whether he should be in the HoF, but if any punter did, he would be the one.

• Like 2

The Chiefs are drunk. They should have given that money to Chris Jones. He is hands down the better player and on top of that a really good dude and locker room guy. This move makes no sense whatsoever for them.

7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

2 more years of the QB pissing off the rest of the roster and creating drama by threatening to retire and/or throwing team-mates under the bus every time something goes wrong for the Steelers then?  

NFL history in a nutshell

Kind of feel bad for the Steelers though because once Ben retires they're probably looking at the basement for a while

6 hours ago, majob said:

NFL history in a nutshell

Kind of feel bad for the Steelers though because once Ben retires they're probably looking at the basement for a while

As often as he threatens it you'd think they would have at least tried to prepare for his replacement.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

2 more years of the QB pissing off the rest of the roster and creating drama by threatening to retire and/or throwing team-mates under the bus every time something goes wrong for the Steelers then?  

Did I miss the part where Brett Favre came out of retirement and signed with Pittsburgh?  ?  #4 was the original; Ben Roethlisberger is simply the second iteration.

• Like 1