National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

43 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Colts QB Andrew Luck JUST retired!! Wow!! Colts fans are SICK right now!! 

Holy balls! How bad was it playing for the Colts that Luck would just go F-it and quit.....

Edit: What's especially sad is that Luck stayed an additional year at Stanford to avoid being drafted by the Panthers because he felt they would ruin his career. Looks like his worries were misplaced.

Edited by majob
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

I bet Jim feels like the sorry sack of shit he is right about now. 

Never underestimate Jim Irsay's talent for self-delusion.

And yes, as I understand it, this is Luck's first year under his contract where the money in NOT injury guaranteed.

In addition, we may find out that his "calf" injury was far more serious than advertised. Best of luck to him (no pun intended). He's a great competitor and a great guy.

Now we'll find out how great a coach Frank Reich can be.

30 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

Reich showed me quite a bit when he opted for a loss over a tie because he has an emotional dislike for ties.

7 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

So much for folks in drafting in fantasy football tonight.  Luck retired and Lamar Miller is probably done for the year.

That is why you don’t draft this far before the start of the season.

7 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Wha sucks in all this is that the FO didn’t upgrade the O-line at all during Lucks career. He got killed nearly every drop back. No way anyone could overcome that. 

Colt's o-line last season was actually in top 10 by most metrics and first in least sacks allowed and are considered one of the top offensive lines entering the season. But I guess Luck had had enough by that point and it was too little too late

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

And the fans booed him for announcing it. Stay classy, assholes.

Can you really blame them? They just found out, two games before the regular season and in the middle of a game no less, that their qb is retiring. Just like that their season is ruined

• Like 1

Anyone that booed him should be ashamed. I don't care how much money he has made you only get one body and his is breaking down. Is he supposed to keep playing and risk more harm to his body so fans sitting down watching feel better?

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, Splathew said:

Anyone that booed him should be ashamed. I don't care how much money he has made you only get one body and his is breaking down. Is he supposed to keep playing and risk more harm to his body so fans sitting down watching feel better?

I'm about to be 29 myself and I've gone under for 2 rotator cuff surgeries, ACDF surgery, and a small knee surgery...I don't blame the guy for retiring and he's in way better shape than I am lmfao. Most of the morons booing probably can't comprehend just how much of a toll injuries and surgeries can take on a body. Not to mention how prone you are to future injury because you won't ever be as strong as you were before the injury. (I've been told to protect my shoulder at all costs because each surgery has a smaller chance of success)

You'd actually HAVE to pay me millions to throw a football around and move around on a field after my injuries/surgeries. 

EDIT:

Just in case people don't know what ACDF surgery is lol. (because I sure as hell didn't when it was brought up. xD)

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-acdf.htm

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Splathew said:

I'm sorry, but fans aren't permitted to be upset -- and demonstrate that unhappiness -- when they get blindsided like this?  And while I respect Andrew Luck and his right to walk away from the game like this, wouldn't the analagous "real world" example being an important guy in your workplace just up and quitting in the middle of the week without giving notice or anything, i.e., "breach of contract"?

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a snap decision, that Andrew Luck didn't wake up from a nap on Saturday and decide "Fuck this, I'm done and feel like going down to the saloon and having a beer."  But the timing of this is terrible for the Colts and their fans and he's put the team in a very difficult spot.  And he's put a lot of fans in a difficult spot because they probably root for the logo on the helmet more than they do the nameplate on the back of the jersey and they've been caught by surprise too.

Andrew Luck is entitled to prioritize whatever he feels is most important to him.  But there are better ways to go about having done so in the arena of public affairs.  And fans deserve better than to be the turd wiped off the bottom of one's shoes.  Even if it's selfish of the fan base and boorish for them to have booed in this situation, it's an understandable reaction.

And boy-oh-boy has the first round of the 2012 draft been one disaster piling upon the rest.  Andrew Luck has probably been one of the best players out of the draft, for what little that has been worth, and the whole group seems like one gigantic sea of mediocrity.  Outside of Luke Kuechly, do you see one guy from that list who might get any legitimate Hall of Fame consideration?  Anyone?

21 hours ago, acasser said:

I'm sorry, but fans aren't permitted to be upset -- and demonstrate that unhappiness -- when they get blindsided like this?  And while I respect Andrew Luck and his right to walk away from the game like this, wouldn't the analagous "real world" example being an important guy in your workplace just up and quitting in the middle of the week without giving notice or anything, i.e., "breach of contract"?

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a snap decision, that Andrew Luck didn't wake up from a nap on Saturday and decide "Fuck this, I'm done and feel like going down to the saloon and having a beer."  But the timing of this is terrible for the Colts and their fans and he's put the team in a very difficult spot.  And he's put a lot of fans in a difficult spot because they probably root for the logo on the helmet more than they do the nameplate on the back of the jersey and they've been caught by surprise too.

Andrew Luck is entitled to prioritize whatever he feels is most important to him.  But there are better ways to go about having done so in the arena of public affairs.  And fans deserve better than to be the turd wiped off the bottom of one's shoes.  Even if it's selfish of the fan base and boorish for them to have booed in this situation, it's an understandable reaction.

And boy-oh-boy has the first round of the 2012 draft been one disaster piling upon the rest.  Andrew Luck has probably been one of the best players out of the draft, for what little that has been worth, and the whole group seems like one gigantic sea of mediocrity.  Outside of Luke Kuechly, do you see one guy from that list who might get any legitimate Hall of Fame consideration?  Anyone?

The timing wasn't Luck's fault. He had planned to announce it on Sunday, but ESPN caught word of it, and ran the story.  Unfair for Luck, but not surprising by the media. 

21 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

The timing wasn't Luck's fault. He had planned to announce it on Sunday, but ESPN caught word of it, and ran the story.  Unfair for Luck, but not surprising by the media. 

His timing is still terrible for fans regardless since it's right around the start of the season and now Colts fans have to go into it with no certainty at qb. Not to say Brisette is bad but he's certainly not Luck. I won't knock a man for doing what he feels is best for him but I know that if Stafford suddenly decided to quit right before the start of the season instead of waiting until the off season, I'd be pissed too.

1 hour ago, majob said:

His timing is still terrible for fans regardless since it's right around the start of the season and now Colts fans have to go into it with no certainty at qb. Not to say Brisette is bad but he's certainly not Luck. I won't knock a man for doing what he feels is best for him but I know that if Stafford suddenly decided to quit right before the start of the season instead of waiting until the off season, I'd be pissed too.

Its not like Luck was healthy and getting ready to play. He's been injured all preseason so they were starting the season without him to begin with. Sure I bet they had hoped he'd be ready to go fairly soon but from everything I've seen is he's only been getting worse on the health front.

Apparently Luck is leaving with 24 mil.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2019/08/25/colts-wont-collect-money-owed-andrew-luck-retirement

Negotiations on this scale take months so the Colts franchise must have known Luck was leaving beforehand but still didn't have the foresight to look for another qb or I guess they feel confident in Brisette. Either way, I think Luck must have had some leverage to be able to leave with some cash in hand because I'm certain the team would have wanted every penny back otherwise

Edited by majob

On 8/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Never underestimate Jim Irsay's talent for self-delusion.

And yes, as I understand it, this is Luck's first year under his contract where the money in NOT injury guaranteed.

In addition, we may find out that his "calf" injury was far more serious than advertised. Best of luck to him (no pun intended). He's a great competitor and a great guy.

I did hear they thought there might be some high ankle stuff.

Anyway, Colts fans do have every right to be angry, but booing him was still was a low class move. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 6:39 AM, majob said:

Can you really blame them? They just found out, two games before the regular season and in the middle of a game no less, that their qb is retiring. Just like that their season is ruined

Yes I can blame them. This is about more than football. He made the best decision for his life moving forward and people want to be mad at him? They NEED to be mad at the FO for FINALLY giving him a good O-line. Just took over 156 sacks since 2012 for them to finally realize this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Yes I can blame them. This is about more than football. He made the best decision for his life moving forward and people want to be mad at him? They NEED to be mad at the FO for FINALLY giving him a good O-line. Just took over 156 sacks since 2012 for them to finally realize this. 

Put yourself into the shoes of a Colts fan for minute. These are a group of people feeling betrayed by their qb and by the team and they're going to be emotional. No one is saying Luck had no right to do what was best for him but the timing is terrible.

5 minutes ago, majob said:

Put yourself into the shoes of a Colts fan for minute. These are a group of people feeling betrayed by their qb and by the team and they're going to be emotional. No one is saying Luck had no right to do what was best for him but the timing is terrible.

The Colts fans who booed Luck already had qualified for stupidity by actually paying for and attending an exhibition game. And the ones who stayed to the end are the stupidest. And the most drunk.

I used to play goalie in soccer. Was pretty good at it. But I found I was getting a serious injury every 10 games or so (knee, shoulder, ankle). So at the ripe age of 27 I retired. The sport, as much as I enjoyed it, endangered my enjoyment of softball, golf, etc. I continued to play softball into my sixties! Was pretty damn good at that, too.

Luck has new priorities now........a new wife......first kid on the way.........best of Luck to him.

• Like 2