National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

5 hours ago, acasser said:

Because their GM situation has been a mess for a while now.  And because Bill O'Brien apparantly is a Bill Belichick protege, which has led a lot of teams to do a lot of stupid things thinking that somehow Belichick's "aura" will have rubbed off on the guy.

People have either forgotten or seem to don't care that every Bellicheck protege given a Head Coaching gig has fallen flat on their face. You can't repeat what Bellicheck has done, it's a once in a lifetime thing and people need to pick up on that. The Lions have fallen into the trap as well with Patricia but I suspect that's more Quinn wanting to bring in more Patriot's personnel he has a rapport with.

11 hours ago, Conker said:

Let’s see if going to the Vikings and reunite with Cousins will help Doctson https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-reportedly-reach-agreement-with-former-redskins-first-round-pick-josh-doctson/

And incase anyone wants to join again, new link and post is at bottom 

The Vikings finally get their preferred wideout from the 2016 Draft! To be honest, I'm not expecting much. But he will stretch the field better than Laquon Treadwell, who disappointed from Day One. 

On 9/2/2019 at 9:17 PM, Conker said:

And incase anyone wants to join again, new link and post is at bottom 

I'm in.

BTW, what happens if there is a tie? Does the award split? Because, as you know, if it wasn't for this:

5d3606c27d509.image.jpg?resize=1200,1563awful, horrible call last year we would have tied! ARGHHHH!

A call that caused lawsuits to be filed, bills introduced into Congress, and eventually rules changes in the NFL so that it can't happen again.

(OK, I'm being a bit sarcastic here. Thanks for hosting this and I'm glad to be back).

Well Chicago that was a abysmal showing on opening night, at least you made a fg xD. Packers really themseleves just did enough but the defense i thought was really good and now the Packers have a lot of home games, could it be the start of good season.

Well, the 2018 season ended on a stinker. It's only fitting that the 2019 season begins on one.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, PsychicVibe said:

Never underestimate Jim Irsay's talent for self-delusion.

LOL. 

Late to the convo, but God - I hate that guy. And I tell you what - if they really knew that Luck was retiring early, and kept it hidden, it makes statements like this all the more heinous:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/07/28/olts-owner-jim-irsay-compares-2019-team-to-peyton-manning-days/1850958001/

Screw that guy. I hope they go 2-14.

Edited by starcrunch061

On 9/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, majob said:

People have either forgotten or seem to don't care that every Bellicheck protege given a Head Coaching gig has fallen flat on their face. You can't repeat what Bellicheck has done, it's a once in a lifetime thing and people need to pick up on that. The Lions have fallen into the trap as well with Patricia but I suspect that's more Quinn wanting to bring in more Patriot's personnel he has a rapport with.

Nick Saban has done well, but yeah - the point is taken. I think one of the problems with the Belichick proteges is that they always feel that they need to think outside of the box, and look really smart. Even Saban has fallen into that trap (who can forget that idiotic field goal call in the Auburn game?), but some of them have just looked awful.

4 hours ago, majob said:

I would say it's less that  the Packer's defense was good and more that the Bear's offense is terrible

Big media is taking Trubisky to task today (yes, the INT was forced and awful), but Nagy should shoulder much of the blame. They stopped running the ball (RB's combined for 11 carries!), so GB just sat back in coverage bc they were getting good pressure with just the front 4. Nagy, ever heard of a draw?!? If you don't keep the LB's honest, they're just going to fill holes in the zone and the Bears passing game relies on finding guys in space. It was blatant they missed Jordan Howard. 

Bears wideouts also dropped a number of easy balls. 

It's definitely a bit to soon to give up on them, but Bears might be going back to reality (cellar) this season.

- And kudos to instant replay for giving the middle finger to LaFleur. As if the stoppage of play isn't bad enough, he tries to challenge offensive PI? 

6 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Would y’all let AB play? After what he pulled, he would’ve been cut. But he’s saying sorry so he can be on the roster week 1 and keep his $30M guaranteed money. 

Antonio Brown is demonstrating two things right now:

First, that teams will put up with all sorts of bullshit if the player has enough talent.  Antonio Brown is (theoretically) a True Number One Receiver in today's NFL, therefore he'll have a much longer leash than some journeyman.  This doesn't mean that every team will put up with this crap, but a lot of them will do so and consider it a trade-off for what they get on the field.  But it also makes it necessary for Brown to hold up his end of the bargain.

Second, and more important, the Raiders aren't in a wonderful spot.  These recent incidents might give them the latitude to void Brown's guarantees, and they might not -- an Arbitrator would decide that after the attempt and the inevitable grievance.  And if Oakland/Vegas is going to be on the hook for those tens of millions of guaranteed money in his deal, they'll probably try and get something out of him so long as Brown isn't actively destructive to the team.

Personally?  If it were me?  I'd suspend his ass for two weeks under the "gross insubordination"/"conduct detrimental" clauses and hold the possibility of doing it again if he doesn't start playing nice.  (The current CBA allows teams to suspend players for up to four games without pay for those reasons.)  Because I can very easily imagine large swaths of that locker room being very unhappy if Antonio Brown is allowed to skate on all this and that can't be good for team morale and cohesion.

I can't figure out for the life of me what his purpose is for all this. I mean he forced his way out of Pit like he wanted and he got his money like he wanted...what is the point of all of this? If his endgame is to not make $50M and to really put his entire career in jeopardy, he is doing a bang up job. This is some of the most self-destructive behavior I have ever seen. Dude really needs to get his head checked because he is completely off the reservation at this point.

• Like 1

Raiders are a clown show operation as it is.  Mayok and Gruden have to be the worst GM/Coach combo in the NFL.  

AB is a diva receiver likely suffering from mental illness (perhaps impacted too many shots to the head).  This was a train wreck from the beginning but worst possible landing spot for Brown.

From the Raiders standpoint, they were going to be lousy without or without AB, might as well save some cash and headache.

47 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Raiders are a clown show operation as it is.  Mayok and Gruden have to be the worst GM/Coach combo in the NFL. 

There are plenty of trainwrecks around the NFL.  Mayock/Gruden and the Oakland/Vegas situation aren't good, but I'm not convinced that they rank #32 in the entire League.

That being said, we all knew what the Raiders were signing themselves up for here.  They figured the talent was worth the money and the headaches.  They've managed to extricate themselves from the money, but it can't be good for that team to have dealt with that particular headache for as long as they did.

As for Antonio Brown?  He's never going to recoup that money.  Half the League won't touch him with an eleven-foot Bohunk -- that's what you use when a 10-foot Pole isn't tall/long enough -- and the rest won't offer him a lot of money (if they even have the cap to do so) and will keep him on such a short leash that he'll be pining for his Pittsburgh and Oakland days in no time.

Like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson before him, just to name the first two talented but ultra-diva WRs who come to mind, Brown is coming to the end of his road.  He's becoming enough of a headache that his talent won't be worth the bother for too many people.

• Like 1

My personal friends (also Seahawks fans) are already saying Seattle should try and pick him up, hope my hand doesn't get too sore from the head slappin' I'm apparently gonna have to do.  Also weren't the 9ers trying pretty hard to woo him when the Steelers drama was playing out?  Wonder if they're still interested after he showed how much of a nightmare he can actually be.

3 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Steelers looking like bandits with this trade. 

I'm wondering if there's some type of arbitration system in the NFL for a situation like this.

Also, don't be surprised when Brown sues the NFL over his helmet fiasco. He saw the free money that Kaepernik got, so might as well give it a try. I'm sure the NFL would be quite reluctant to reveal their studies on helmet safety. 

I can only see the most desperate team picking up Brown now or the Patriots because Bellicheck is probably the only man who could whip Brown into shape but he sure as hell won't pay him. Brown would have to take a pay cut

Edited by majob

1 hour ago, majob said:

I can only see the most desperate team picking up Brown now or the Patriots because Bellicheck is probably the only man who could whip Brown into shape but he sure as hell won't pay him. Brown would have to take a pay cut

Well now he with the Patriots let see how long that will last