National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

OT rule as is, is perfectly fine imo, if you give up a td on opening possession, you deserve to lose, as for college OT rules are terrible now at 3rd OT onwards where it just a 2 point try battle.

imo I reckon Brady plays on, Rodgers and several of the packers big names will be elsewhere, I’m gonna say Denver Broncos 

If Aaron Rodgers doesn't retire but plays somewhere other than Green Bay, he'll pick a team that he believes has a chance to win immediately.  Denver may be willing to ante up the necessary trade capital to make that happen, but I see no particular reason why Rodgers would want to go to that team in that division.

Maybe New Orleans makes a level of sense.  Maybe Tampa makes a level of sense, if Brady retires.  I could see an argument for Philadelphia, or maybe Cleveland if the Browns chuck Baker Mayfield overboard.  Perhaps the Raiders if they rid themselves of Derek Carr.

But it's not really a long list, and it's not a case where anybody can bid and land themselves Rodgers.  If a crummy team like Denver trades for his rights, he'll simply call it a career and walk away.

I'm picking the 49ers and the Bengals.  

The Chiefs had no business winning that game, and the Bills should have squib kicked it.  Got outcoached at the end.  I could easily see the Rams and Chiefs going to the Superbowl though, I really hope the 49ers do, and frankly I think the Bengals can beat the Chiefs again.

Whatever happens, these playoffs have been interesting, even if the games themselves haven't. I was disappointed in both the SF-GB and LA-TB games. The LA-TB particularly annoyed me; that game was just raggedy for a while. The Rams should have put that away so many times. Honestly, I think opposing teams do their best to enhance Brady's greatness; he shouldn't have even been a factor at the end.

Chiefs-Bills was a great game. I don't know how one "fixes" the overtime rule. 

3 hours ago, acasser said:

IMaybe New Orleans makes a level of sense.  Maybe Tampa makes a level of sense, if Brady retires.  I could see an argument for Philadelphia, or maybe Cleveland if the Browns chuck Baker Mayfield overboard.  Perhaps the Raiders if they rid themselves of Derek Carr.

Whew! Talk about pressure at the end of a career. If Rodgers tanks out early in the playoffs there, it leads to direct (unfavorable) comparison with Brady.

I like the idea of Rodgers in NO. Cleveland would be hilarious; nobody boos their own quite like the Browns faithful.

What's funny is that, now that Manning and Brady have had so much success in their twilight years at another organization, the "old QB finds new life" is really a thing now. For years (pretty much after Montana couldn't get the Chiefs to the SB), it was CW that you don't take on an old QB. I remember when the Broncos first took Manning, there was so much talk about the disaster it would likely become.

Sean Payton isn't going to coach anywhere (in the NFL) for a couple of years because New Orleans holds his rights and would demand significant compensation to let him out of that contract and permit him to go to somebody else.  History suggests that price would be at least a 1st round pick, probably more, and I just don't see any one coach being worth it.  He may very well be a good coach, but it's also possible that part of why he has looked so good for so long is because he's had all that talent to work with.

There are teams that would love to take that chance and ask that question, but probably not at the expense of their ability to draft premium talent for a few years.

Seems like the new popular hot take by the talking heads is how underrated and underappreciated Jimmy Garoppolo is?  So, what am I missing, because I am firmly on the "winning despite him" side of things.  He's perfectly adequate but it seems like 80% of the playbook is either him pitching it either backwards or laterally to Deebo and letting him do his thing or a short pass in the middle to Kittle who then proceeds to catch it no matter how high or behind the ball is and getting 10-50 yards after contact.  Dude's constantly hurt and how many times has he tried to give games away with bad picks and terrible late game decisions?  I don't know, he just seems like the weak link on an otherwise supremely talented team.  Am I wrong?

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Seems like the new popular hot take by the talking heads is how underrated and underappreciated Jimmy Garoppolo is?  So, what am I missing, because I am firmly on the "winning despite him" side of things.  He's perfectly adequate but it seems like 80% of the playbook is either him pitching it either backwards or laterally to Deebo and letting him do his thing or a short pass in the middle to Kittle who then proceeds to catch it no matter how high or behind the ball is and getting 10-50 yards after contact.  Dude's constantly hurt and how many times has he tried to give games away with bad picks and terrible late game decisions?  I don't know, he just seems like the weak link on an otherwise supremely talented team.  Am I wrong?

Yes, yes, yes, and no (you're not wrong).

Jimmy is one of those 'He's better than many, but nowhere near elite' type of QBs.  There's better guys out there, but the real question is are there better options out there?  For the most part, I don't think there are, and no I am not in any way on board the Trey Lance train.  He doesn't impress me at all.  If he turns out to be an elite QB in the league, I will happily eat my words, but I don't think that's going to happen for a myriad of reasons.

So back to Jimmy, and all those yes's above... you are completely right, Niners are a run heavy offense.  Their stars are Deebo (obviously) Kittle, BA, and a trio - when healthy - of RBs.  Jimmy isn't a star.  HOWEVER... when Jimmy isn't throwing stupid INTs late in the game that completely change the flow of the game and allow their opponents to get back into it (see Dallas 10 days ago), he has the potential to make amazing throws, and has on numerous occasions.  But most of his throws?  Yes, they are short, sideways, or toss backs.  But I've seen him also do some pretty awesome things that puts him above pretty much every other QB the Niners have had the last 15 years.  And that's the real question, not is he the best to ever play the game, but is he the best option out of the available options?  I'm certain many football fans would argue that Lance is the better option right now, although ironically, most of my local friends who are hardcore Niners fans are like me wavering between Jimmy on his good days and 'the grass may be greener elsewhere' on his bad days.  He has a lot of weapons that make him look good, he also has a pretty great O-line which gives him enough time for an elite QB to dissect opposing Ds (occasionally he does, usually he doesn't).  But sometimes he overthrows his receivers or holds the ball too long and gets sacked, and simply proves he's not elite.  So play the rookie instead?  Maybe.  But the idea of trading for an old elite QB doesn't interest me.  I know Shanahan wants to develop Lance, and he's not wrong for doing so, but Jimmy isn't that old, and he also has a lot of good football under his belt.  Both coach and QB came on board when Jimmy was roughly the same age Smith was when Harbaugh took over and helped turn his play around.  A good coach would have tried to help Jimmy get better.  It's no secret in the Bay Area that he hates Jimmy, and it shows.  Also, what I've been seeing of Jimmy this year is that he's trying to do too much, just like he did in the second half of the SB 2 years ago.  He's probably nervous and anxious cause he knows he's getting traded at the end of the year, and in these playoffs especially I've seen that nervousness on the field.  Being in the position he's in doesn't help.  So he makes stupid mistakes.  Is he underrated and underappreciated?  I don't know, maybe among some, certainly by his coach, but in general probably not.  But what if the alternatives all end up being worse?  Niners haven't had an elite QB since Young, and they certainly don't grow on trees.  So I'd rather put my support behind the group that got the team to a SB 2 years ago and an NFC championship game this year than pretend there's a long-term solution out there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Well, you know, he's not an elite QB but right now he's won more playoff games than "better" QBs (which I won't name to not starts trash talks)... Also, Niners constantly lost games when he's out. Obviously it's Shanahan's system that helps a lot him to win games... But there arent's many Montana or Young (or Brady or Rodgers) out there so what will you do when you have a team that's playing a championship game for the second time in three years? Build the gameplan and system around what you have.

Also, we saw how the rookies this year were FAR from being better than him (look at Fields, for months a "five star prospect and blablabla") so I don't see other ways than develop the young one (Lance) while playng and hopefully winning with Jimmy. And maybe we could have someone as good as Allen/Burrow/others young in the future.

One thing is sure as hell about Jimmy: he's doing all he can to play and win even knowing his time is short, he's a good teammate and he's far better that the last N QBs Niners had (which I don't want to remember their names)... On the other side, his "oh no!" moments made me rage for about 57 of 60 minutes against GB :facepalm:

• Like 1

the Denver Broncos are hiring Packes OC Nathaniel Hackett as head coach, start the Rodgers do Denver rumors now https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33157981/denver-broncos-hire-nathaniel-hackett-new-head-coach-sources-say

and Ben Rothlisberger is offcially retiring, something we all knew was coming https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33158955/pittsburgh-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-retires-18-seasons

Sports journalists jumped the gun and received a pie in their face as a result. A good day.

I can definitely see Brady playing at least one more season, the wheels haven't worn off yet and there are still more dreams for him to destroy

10 hours ago, majob said:

Sports journalists jumped the gun and received a pie in their face as a result. A good day.

I can definitely see Brady playing at least one more season, the wheels haven't worn off yet and there are still more dreams for him to destroy

Can you blame him?

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/rumor-tom-brady-unhappy-leaked-retirement-news