Rate How Scary This Game Is

Crespelio-X12

• 2 weeks later...

2/10, it's pretty much all just jump scares and your typical B-movie horror/gore scenes. I'd overall rate the game a 6/10, it was fairly enjoyable, but the cast of characters were among some of the most annoying I've ever encountered in a video game, it doesn't have a particularly good or interesting plot and doesn't attempt anything new; arguably aside from the "don't move" mechanic, which I can't say I've encountered in many other video games. It was more annoying than anything though, there'd be times where I'd literally set the controller down and not touch it at all, but it'd still register that I've moved due to the controller's vibrations, which I had to temporarily turn off just for this game.

If you're looking for horror games that have more of a disturbing/creepy atmosphere, and actually genuinely leave you feeling anxious/scared at times, I'd suggest classics such as the original 3 Silent Hill games, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or in (slightly) more recent times, Soma and Lone Survivor (if you don't mind 2D horror).

I've personally always preferred horror games that just generally make you feel uneasy, over games with a million cheap jump scares that lose their effect quickly.

I thought the game did a pretty good job of keeping you on your toes.  I can't believe the twist.  I won't go into spoilers, but the movie " The Descent" turn it took I ABSOLUTELY love and turned this into such a creepier play for me than just some "guy".   It's almost uncanny and I wonder if some of it was derived from that movie.  I don't know.

Look the movie up, and have a watch its a really good, and scary as shit!  Involving some badass woman.   albiet a little older movie of hikers who go underground into a cave for adventurous exploration for a vacation.

I thought this game was going to be a simpler story, but boy did it turn out to be so much more.  I loved it.  I can't wait to play it again.  

Again the descent mix just blew me away.  I love this game.  SO much more than I thought I would.  Goes into my top 10 horror games for now.  Even if people call this a thriller or not much "gameplay'   this game did a great job.  Graphics were outstanding, the gore, oh man.

not many games have me running to spew out my thoughts but this left me, with a wow.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well i just got this in the sale and almost completed it first time. I found the first chapters just cheap jump scares but once i got to the revelation it really started to get tense. The scary thing is trying to keep everyone alive because one wrong move and its game over for that person.

I enjoyed it because of the casting and the desire to try to take things in a new direction. I was skeptical, but it's great fun with company and pretty fun solo (with headphones, of course).

That said, 4.5/10 with it being scary. It wasn't a bad experience overall, it just didn't frighten me as much as Outlast (which I'm just starting) which has the ability to make me very tense (read: afraid to move).

Playing at night, solo with headphones and a cat that enjoys midnight/early AM sprints and likes to hop up in my lap randomly.... good times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

6. Maybe 8 on the first playthrough. (I'm generally not much of a horror/gore fan so I scare easily). I love the game but it takes the fear out of it when you're replaying and know that Mike and Sam can't die in their chapters, and there's rarely any bad repercussions if you fail their QTEs or make poor decisions.

The wendigos however are scary as shit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

7/10. It's not really scary, more... I've been more surprised than scared, I think. Nevertheless, the atmosphere makes you nervous, just like the sounds overall.

But since it's a 3rd-person view, it's not as scary as you might think. Games like Layers of Fear, P.T (RIP) or Outlast are scarier since it's a 1st person view.

Scary by itself with no adjectives, definitely yes. With a 6/10 being average, Ill have to give it a 7 or 8. The game is built too well to be anything below a 6/10. Scores below that discredits the game horror ethic and means it's a bad horror game when it's not. It has the horrific and terrifying atomosphere and tension once the story begins. This isnt a game with subtle horror or horror elements, it strives on horror in the interactive movie way. Any feeling of tension, fright, terror, horror you develop, etc means you are scared, period. You're only not scared if you're mostly to always neutral with no change in emotion/feeling throughout the game.

Theres

- Scary Lore

- Scary Story

- Scary Atomosphere

- Scary Plot Events

- Multiple Scary Jump-scares

- Lack of control and defense also increases scaryness

Terror

is the intense fear that we feel in anticipation of something happening. Terror can be known as the fear that is taken raw.Terror is an emotion that you feel when you are in great and immediate fear. 

Horror

is the revulsion that we feel when something we feared for actually happens. Horror can be known as digested. Horror is an emotional experience that has more to do with what is happening around us rather than what is happening to us. Horror is a feeling that is aroused when one sees the trail of destruction as an observer. Horror is a feeling of disgust that is more disturbing and psychological in nature. 

SCARY is the term that includes those two terms plus more. UD is a full horror game, and it strives on nearly all of the horror scary/horror themes, unlike say The Last of Us. UD has all of it. It's just not a super scary game or one of the best examples of a definitive horror game.

• 1 month later...

7/10. I'm not really into horror games because I just don't like to be scared, but I had to play Until Dawn. Playing at night with headphones was a pretty amazing experience. At the beginning the jump scares, the creepy music and the tension were too much for me (lol). But further into the game I felt like it was actually less scary, and somehow 

Spoiler

wendigos didn't really scare me that much (apart from the lodge scene at the end)

. idk why.. maybe I just got used to the atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

A lot of it is you're waiting for something to happen, it's a really creepy atmosphere. A lot of the jumps are just from little things rather than monsters chasing you. Still scared me though! Probably would say 6/10.

(I still haven't started The Last of Us, I see mentions of it in this topic, I feel I might have some sort of breakdown playing it haha.)

1/5 stars or 3 out of 10, it had too many scares I saw in all other games and I never was scared of anything, however some jump scares were good, they made me jump some of them but never scared me as someone who played games and watch horror movies like, evil dead, silent hill 1 to 4, the thing, the fly, outlast and many more I seen all of the scares and none of them scares I saw in this scared me. Outlast was the last game that scared me, even though it was abit I enjoyed it, this game has too many tropes of the 80s horror and they are not used well in the way to scare but it is now done to death that change needs to happen to keep horror alive.

But the good parts of the game is that it looks good, and plays well for a point and click kind and with so many things to effect the end or outcomes I think it is good, if they done this with say another game of the thing and make sure what you do changes who is the one who will turn will make for a great game, they showed in this that mist effects and character models and choices are what they are good so I still say pick this game up for both story and how to change it for your own free will and effects.

Edited by KANERKB

I'm not into the horror genre of gaming, so I was pretty tense almost the entire way through Until Dawn. Jump scares and I do not get along, but I really enjoyed the game and its use of the Butterfly Effect concept. The scares tend to slow down towards the final couple chapters somewhat. With that, I'd give the scare factor a good 9/10.