Chibi World of Final Fantasy

Satoshi Ookami

In your circle, maybe. In the broader English language, it definitely is not.  :blink:

I obviously meant from Japanese words =D

Obviously it's not part of English language :D

Hey, nice article, gonna give it a read =D

Because chibi is not small in Japanese, chibi is especially used to describe the art style of characters =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

This is not true.

In Japan chibi or ちび  is Japanese slang for anything that is unusually small but most commonly a person or child.

It is occasionally used to negatively put someone down, usually a very small person or dwarf.

In English it has come to mean small anime characters with over inflated sized heads but this is not the true original genuine meaning, it is a cutesy upped version for English speakers.

• Like 1

This is not true.

In Japan chibi or ちび  is Japanese slang for anything that is unusually small but most commonly a person or child.

It is occasionally used to negatively put someone down, usually a very small person or dwarf.

Weren't you the one who said slang words should not be used in normal speech? :P

Either way, isn't chibi used in connection with the proper kanji signalizing whether it's a person (chibito) or child (chibiko)?

I'm pretty sure I already told you to keep Vita one? xDD

It's hard to compare actually... we still have very sparse info at the moment.

What we can say now are the normal pros of cross-platform games.

PS4 is going to look a little better (no, this has no meaning in this game, it's going to be cute on both platforms =D) and probably going to run a bit better.

Vita is portable and is not going to have annoying multiplayer.

Or you could just google the term :D

ha ha - i did take your advice and cancel the PS4 version - I wasn't sure whether i was going to be missing some content because of this.

I'll stand by the vita one thx

Weren't you the one who said slang words should not be used in normal speech? :P

Either way, isn't chibi used in connection with the proper kanji signalizing whether it's a person (chibito) or child (chibiko)?

What I would most likely have said (cos I have said it a few times) is that anyone who thinks they can learn Japanese from playing video games is hugely mistaken due in part to the amount of slang used in video games.

In some cases badly translated video games will not provide anyone with anything other than confusing language skills filled with slang.

Chibi is an exception, whilst it is used as slang it is also still used in Japanese, it has it's own hiragana, katakana and kanji readings. Yesterday I purposely used the hiragana reading ちび because this one is the one that I am most familiar with, and is used in Japanese to refer to small things particularly people - albeit in a derogatory way.

I have no problem discussing this if you want, it's all intended to be polite, I just don't think this is the right thread (is there actually one?).

Edited: Because I thought my original reply might have been wrongly interpreted as rude.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

What I would most likely have said (cos I have said it a few times) is that anyone who thinks they can learn Japanese from playing video games is hugely mistaken due in part to the amount of slang used in video games.

In some cases badly translated video games will not provide anyone with anything other than confusing language skills filled with slang.

Chibi is an exception, whilst it is used as slang it is also still used in Japanese, it has it's own hiragana, katakana and kanji readings. Yesterday I purposely used the hiragana reading ちび because this one is the one that I am most familiar with, and is used in Japanese to refer to small things particularly people - albeit in a derogatory way.

I have no problem discussing this if you want, it's all intended to be polite, I just don't think this is the right thread (is there actually one?).

Edited: Because I thought my original reply might have been wrongly interpreted as rude.

Please, please start a thread (maybe in Off-topic?) that the first post explains all the video game related slang talked about here (PSNP) so we outsiders know what is being said. Nothing turns me off faster from continuing to read a new thread than uncommon words without descriptions.

Teach us! (Or just post words with appropriate definitions...)

• Like 1

Please, please start a thread (maybe in Off-topic?) that the first post explains all the video game related slang talked about here (PSNP) so we outsiders know what is being said. Nothing turns me off faster from continuing to read a new thread than uncommon words without descriptions.

Teach us! (Or just post words with appropriate definitions...)

LOL hmm... ;)

Anyway, i do think there is a place for a thread here at PSNP for just general Japanese talk, especially with so many people interested in both Japan and the wonderful games that come from there.

I do have 4 books that are heavily aimed towards slang terms and unusual or rude/derogatory terms not found in the any common text book (but found in some Japanese video games).

63a2f978-0aa6-43bd-8eb9-763d2873caa9.jpg

The 2 making out in Japanese books contain every rude, lewd and dirty terms you can imagine... some of which make me blush and I am no prude :)

The river runs deep in most languages, and Japanese is no different, there is much slang, and far too much for just one person to type out, i guess google and copy/paste would be an easier starting place.

Learning slang from Japanese video games is not really a good thing if you don't have the vocabulary tools necessary to support it into an understandable sentence, because not many people in the 'real world' talk like anime characters and you would just sound like an over excitable kid.

I am not saying that slang in video games is a bad thing, of course not, Japanese video games will (for the most part) be designed specifically for Japanese natives and people who are at least competent in the language, and slang will work fine in those instances as it is unlikely to be misunderstood.

I do agree we need a thread though.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

See with XV I can wait for the price to go down, I'm honestly not hyped about it at all. With the price being cheaper for the vita I wouldn't mind paying extra for the PS4 version, there aren't many games I buy on release date but this should be one of I have the money. xD I'll wait until I watch more gameplay until I decide, like you say some games are more fitted for a certain console. =)

Same here. I'm hoping this one brings me back, but it still waits for a price cut. 

Chibi, though, has really gotten me excited. Please don't screw this up, Square...