Worth getting PS3 in Oct 2015?

FireHotStickies

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have contacted the seller to see if I can buy it from him and hopefully pick it up soon.

What games do you recommend? There are so many I don't know where to start. The PS3 I am buying comes with The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and The Sims 3. Will probably try all of these apart from The Sims, not really my kind of game. I am interested in playing the Metal Gear Series on it and also looking at the Tomb Raider game.

WHAT??? A PS3 that's not a 12 GB one for less than $100?!?!   :o

Get it.

Unless you want to pass a great catalog of fun games just because they're old. 

And about PS4 games, at this point most of games are indies with a retro vibe, multiplatform games,  remaster editions and then Great AAA exclusives. It's still early for a huge catalog AAA exclusive games, the console has a little less than 2 years.

Edited by GoldenShaka

The PS3 I am buying comes with The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and The Sims 3. Will probably try all of these apart from The Sims, not really my kind of game. I am interested in playing the Metal Gear Series on it and also looking at the Tomb Raider game.

Some good games bar sims,they'll keep you going for a good while,TR is an awesome game so defo worth getting,should be cheap now too.good luck & enjoy

I think you have found your answer! I'd like to contribute also though and say that it would be a great idea to go for a PS3 now. You can buy one at a cheap price and it has a huge number of amazing Games available and most you can purchase in used condition pretty cheap. You don't have to pay to do online and there are still Games that are active Online. 

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting a PS3. I am a student just now and still have 2 years of uni to go. This means I don't have a lot of time to play games and don't have a lot of money to spend on a PS4 and new AAA games. So far I have been getting my gaming fix through handhelds, GBA, Vita, 3DS as these are easy to use on the go when I have a spare minute. However, I just seem to be fed up of them and would rather play on a console again.

I don't have too much time to play over the year (due to my studies) and I can probably only see myself playing 3 or 4 games over the year. Then maybe more in the summer when I have a break from uni.

Even though I don't have a lot of time, I'm still considering it as PS3s and the games can be picked up for really cheap now. I can get my hands on a super slim 500GB console plus 4 games for £60 = $91, which seems to be a really good deal. So even if I didn't end up playing it that much, I wouldn't lose out.

I'm also aware that I may be too late and the PS4 and Xbox One are taking over, not that it's really an issue for me.

What do you guys think?

Get the PS3. It has a great library (something that can't be said currently for the PS4).

I love my PS3.

As for games, sounds like you got some good ones with it already. I would recommend adding Skyrim to that collection, as well. If you like RPGs, I highly recommend picking up this game. Swordplay, magic, dragons, tons of different quests... Get one of the disks that come bundled with the DLC on the disk,it's worth it.

Just because it's an "older" console, doesn't mean the games are worse and/or be going anywhere. I still don't have a PS4, been getting all my gaming fix from PS3. Tons of good games to play, and if you can get them all for cheap, why not?

I second this wholeheartedly.  I don't have a PS4 either, and don't intend to buy one anytime soon.  PS3 still has a lot of life left in it yet, so if you can pick up a cheap bundle, then go for it. :)

• Like 1

I was a student some time ago... And I'll tell you one thing; you won't probably have as much spare time for gaming as you have now for a long time ;-) After uni, you'll probably start working, then family. Now I have 2 children and have even less time for gaming than I used to. So my vote would be; buy it, it's now or never ;-) It's pointless to wait, unless you plan to wait until retirement ;-)

• Like 1

I would definitely say yes.

There's like 1,000+ games that don't require online and/or dlc so, that's a lifetime of playing and enjoyment for super cheap. The graphics are quite acceptable and the games are dirt cheap.

Throw in that it's also one of the cheapest bluray players on the market and has Netflix; those are just bonuses.

I'm sure everyone here has answered your question, but I agree with them; I once traded in my last PS3 for some MMO Cred, and regretted ever since. I was lucky to get a new one for cheap and trust me, even if you play all the games you get 100%, there are many games which have replay value. For me, that would be the LittleBigPlanet series - even after you get the Platinum trophy, you can still enjoy hopping on for a bit, customizing your Sackboy or pod, and making (or playing!) some great levels. ^_^

So yes, even if you never play for the Platinums, at least get the games which continue to be playable after you finish the story. Although if you just want to 'won and done', the Kingdom Hearts series you can't go wrong with, or Ratchet and Clank if weird fantasy crossovers aren't your thing. :D

I would recommend slim PS3...not the horrible Super Slim.

What makes you say the Super Slim model is horrible?

I'm sure everyone here has answered your question, but I agree with them; I once traded in my last PS3 for some MMO Cred, and regretted ever since. I was lucky to get a new one for cheap and trust me, even if you play all the games you get 100%, there are many games which have replay value. For me, that would be the LittleBigPlanet series - even after you get the Platinum trophy, you can still enjoy hopping on for a bit, customizing your Sackboy or pod, and making (or playing!) some great levels. ^_^

So yes, even if you never play for the Platinums, at least get the games which continue to be playable after you finish the story. Although if you just want to 'won and done', the Kingdom Hearts series you can't go wrong with, or Ratchet and Clank if weird fantasy crossovers aren't your thing. :D

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan on picking up KH HD 1.5 and 2.5 to replay these games. Played the originals on PS2 ages ago and loved them!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have contacted the seller to see if I can buy it from him and hopefully pick it up soon.

What games do you recommend? There are so many I don't know where to start. The PS3 I am buying comes with The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and The Sims 3. Will probably try all of these apart from The Sims, not really my kind of game. I am interested in playing the Metal Gear Series on it and also looking at the Tomb Raider game.

yes, go get it. also get Uncharted 1,2,3 ;) great games!

What makes you say the Super Slim model is horrible?

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan on picking up KH HD 1.5 and 2.5 to replay these games. Played the originals on PS2 ages ago and loved them!

Sliding Disk tray...and the noise it makes. The slim makes less noise.....superslim feels like it will break if I dropped it. 

Sliding Disk tray...and the noise it makes. The slim makes less noise.....superslim feels like it will break if I dropped it. 

I knew about the sliding disk tray and don't think it will bother me. Anyone else agree that the slim makes less noise, or would recommend the slim over the super slim model?