SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

31 minutes ago, Eqill5 said:

Haha well, after playing through Cotton Alley light I realised what you meant about certain hover mechanics. What in the hell is 7-16 (Hopscotch) all about? That’s not platforming.. I can see some of those levels being troublesome!

Totally agree! Absolutely despised 7-16 (Hopscotch/Curls) for both the Girl Boy :silver: & Impossible Boy :gold: runs. Eventually had to make it one of the first few attempted because it is one of those annoying pure finesse levels. Every single time i put it off until the end levels the adrenaline meant i would wait too long to try and do the Meat Boy limbo under the saw blade(s) and went splat (cue controller then doing the same!!!)

You finished Badland & Cloudberry Kingdom (awesome job) so it is only a matter of time until SMB is added to your collection. Good luck. ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to this game after getting "The Kid!" like two years ago. I actually got 100% on Xbox 360 a loooong time ago but I feel like I can give this another try now that I've had some pretty good breaks. I just got Wood Boy and Needle Boy with the latter taking me hours... The Kid level took me 4 or 5 hours to unlock so I know this whole journey will take a while. Luckily I can do some practice runs on my Vita at lunch time then I can get back to my comfy DualSense controller after work and try the levels there. I still need to actually beat the game as well...

• 4 weeks later...

I am a shit platform player but I will get this game done eventually (or quit gaming lol). I soon have to get another SMB world done. Which one would you suggest me to go for (I want to get the easier done first). Missle or Maggot boy - I can't really decide. I have also used meat boy only for my previous runs so there is hope that the kid actually helps me getting the worlds done.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, REAPER4536 said:

I am a shit platform player but I will get this game done eventually (or quit gaming lol). I soon have to get another SMB world done. Which one would you suggest me to go for (I want to get the easier done first). Missle or Maggot boy - I can't really decide. I have also used meat boy only for my previous runs so there is hope that the kid actually helps me getting the worlds done.

Maggot Boy. However you can use different characters other than The Kid depending on the situations as well like Meatboy in 3-8X, Commander Video in 4-5X, Flywrench in 3,9X and 4-7X, Jill in 5-18, and such. This playlist can help you out too but unfortunately, there are no Cotton Alley videos on the list.

Edited by XxIsa-GxX
some char. name edits 'cuz I forgot the names
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2021 at 0:19 PM, XxIsa-GxX said:

Maggot Boy. However you can use different characters other than The Kid depending on the situations as well like Meatboy in 3-8X, Fire Commander in 4-5X, Firewrench in 4-7X, Jill in 5-18 and such. This playlist can help you out too but unfortunately there's no Cotton Alley videos on the list.

I have made tutorials for all deathruns. Also the cotton alley ones. 

The other tutorials are not that great because it had been a long time since I've used my strats. But I hope it helps someone. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. 

Edited by YosemiteSam74
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, YosemiteSam74 said:

I have made tutorials for all deathruns. Also the cotton alley ones. 

The other tutorials are not that great because it had been a long time since I've used my strats. But I hope it helps someone. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. 

Thanks for dropping the video, will check that out once I return to SMB (I kinda plan on making that platinum as 5000th Trophy Milestone but that plan can change though).

4 hours ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

Thanks for dropping the video, will check that out once I return to SMB (I kinda plan on making that platinum as 5000th Trophy Milestone but that plan can change though).

Good luck to you in advance. 

I've done it twice and for me it was the most satisfying platinum I have ever obtained. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:19 AM, XxIsa-GxX said:

Maggot Boy. However you can use different characters other than The Kid depending on the situations as well like Meatboy in 3-8X, Fire Commander in 4-5X, Firewrench in 4-7X, Jill in 5-18 and such. This playlist can help you out too but unfortunately there's no Cotton Alley videos on the list.

Yeah, plus I've noticed a couple of things that go overlooked.  Ogmo's small hitbox is somewhat known, however, Flywrench's fast falling speed and Commander Videos slow speed,while normally problematic, can be assets in certain situation.  Also worth noting that The Kind seems to have the largest hitbox.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, SKiL_Clash said:

I’ll gladly bitch on the moving platforms. I lost so many death runs because I touched the moving platform the wrong way and it just kills you for no damn reason. Extremely frustrating. 

I've noticed this MOSTLY happens in the Hell worlds, which makes me wonder if it's really a glitch, or just clever world building.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/02/2022 at 3:10 AM, Axeman_Phoenix said:

I saw the name of the thread and decided to give my 2 cents
The skyscrapper and the kid warpzone , never have i had such a horrible time in a platformer , these 2 levels nearly broke me at some point, but got the 100% trophy......onwards to the no death run, wish me luck

As difficult as The Kid warp zone is, at least you get infinite retries. The Skyscraper is absolute horseshit, particularly in getting the bandage in 1-2 where you practically have to flawlessly get through the level twice. Warp zones with three lives in general are a horrible idea for a game like this, considering you can't just jump back into the third level to practice it, leaving no room for trial and error like with the rest of the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to return to my no death runs after watching someone stream it, got a bit burnt out after playing it non stop when I first started. First started on PS4 but now playing on PS5 and finding the controller causes a lot of pain in my hand, considering buying a PS4 controller. Although did get missile boy done today! Interested hearing anyone who’s played with both PS4 and PS5 controllers 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bethharmon said:

Decided to return to my no death runs after watching someone stream it, got a bit burnt out after playing it non stop when I first started. First started on PS4 but now playing on PS5 and finding the controller causes a lot of pain in my hand, considering buying a PS4 controller. Although did get missile boy done today! Interested hearing anyone who’s played with both PS4 and PS5 controllers 

Congrats on Missile Boy! Just curious, what was your level order? Unfortunately I haven’t played the game on PS5 so I can’t offer any experience. 

8 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

Congrats on Missile Boy! Just curious, what was your level order? Unfortunately I haven’t played the game on PS5 so I can’t offer any experience. 

I always did 9 first, followed by 14 (just because I had too many cheap deaths jumping through the saws). By the time I finished I felt confident on all the levels, just a case of keeping it together.

• 2 months later...

I think I may be putting this down again as I just don’t know how to get a consistent strategy for Cotton Alley and Hell. But then if I put it down then I’ll have to get to it again so undecided! It’s like when I get past something I have to guess or hope I get lucky getting past the next bit and that will never do me any good for the no death runs. Finding it (and I know it is) very tough! I’ve been aiming to get at least one trophy a day after work.

Only got the Suffragette trophy yesterday and The Real End trophy today. 

On 14/07/2022 at 9:48 PM, lynx_1985 said:

I think I may be putting this down again as I just don’t know how to get a consistent strategy for Cotton Alley and Hell. But then if I put it down then I’ll have to get to it again so undecided! It’s like when I get past something I have to guess or hope I get lucky getting past the next bit and that will never do me any good for the no death runs. Finding it (and I know it is) very tough! I’ve been aiming to get at least one trophy a day after work.

Only got the Suffragette trophy yesterday and The Real End trophy today. 

I understand your thoughts, I have been there myself but keep at it and eventually you will get better and more consistent, believe me. Feel free to ask here about the levels you need help on and if you like you can watch my "SMB no death run" "tutorials" on YouTube.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 9:58 AM, YosemiteSam74 said:

I understand your thoughts, I have been there myself but keep at it and eventually you will get better and more consistent, believe me. Feel free to ask here about the levels you need help on and if you like you can watch my "SMB no death run" "tutorials" on YouTube.

Yeah thanks man I found your videos and you mention a lot of decent things for the later levels that are pretty consistent. 

Well I took a little break (not even a day!)  and got the urge to play again yesterday due to the fact I want the plat so bad! I had Skyscraper to do had a few attempts but that final jump on the third level…. I couldn’t do it, it got me fuming. Then I said to myself today I’ll have a few more goes at it and finally beat the warp zone. 

I am tempted to buy My Name is Mayo 3 now so I can just have a release by mashing the X button and earn trophies at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

So this happened to me during a Girl Boy run attempt.

I had never had this happen to me in my own game before and I was heavily concentrating on the run obviously, so this legit startled me and I shouted "oh my fucking god, you show me this NOW?!"

Moreover I already had him unlocked and he's useless for no death runs anyway!

On 4/30/2022 at 0:11 PM, bethharmon said:

I was using the PS5 controller up until my 8th no death run (which was Girl Boy), I too was feeling a lot of strain in my hands doing some levels so I switched to an old PS4 controller and it was noticeably less straining, and I was able to go all the way with every other no death run afterwards.

Not sure if you care about buying new or used, but if you do decide to get a PS4 controller, I would recommend a v1 DualShock 4 specifically. The v2 from my experience seem very prone to dropped inputs eventually which is not what you want in the middle of a no death run in this game.

Edited by STRYKIE
video didn't embed properly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Impossible Boy is mopping the floor with me, I'm so close but just can't get it done. Yesterday I died after beating 19/20 levels at 7-8x "In Line" ( was so nervous I didn't even made the initial jump, just ran straight to the slime). I just stared at the screen for 30 seconds in disbelief. After that I just couldn't  focus and could barely win 2 levels in a row. So just called the day.

Today I died AGAIN at 19/20 levels done, this time at 7-16x (the one with the fan blowing you up). My fault to leave that level for last, it's way too random and hard to do a consistent route. Even abusing the pause/exit to map method I ended dying for a sawblade.

Hardest levels are 7-1x and 7-9x for me. No matter how many times I play can only beat them 30-50% of the time. Especially 7-1x, that transition jump in the end is just evil. It looks simple and straightforward and the first impression is that during the game you do much more tricky jumps. But no, that jump tops it all, it's inexplicably hard for me to get it right in a consistent way. 

7-19x was very hard too, but I'm getting better at it.

Now for some reason 7-13x "Bleach" suddenly became a threat too. It's a fast level but couple days ago I was beating it 10 times in a row, but now for some reason it keeps ruining some of my runs. Guess I'll just start to do it early in the run to avoid the trouble.

I don't know many hours I've be trying to get this damn trophy, probably over 20 hours lol. Hopefully the stars will align and I can get it soon.

Edit: died again at 19/20 levels done, believe it or not, idk what's wrong with me hahaha, this time at 7-5x. I literally never die at this level, but managed to mess up the second jump. Was nervous and hesitated for half second, and that's it took for those purple monster to get me. ?

Edited by FontenelIe
  • Like 2

Played for over 10 hours yesterday trying to get Impossible Boy. Still couldn´t get it done. My disappointment is immeasurable lol. I keep dying when I´m missing one single level. Unbelievable.

Was 19/20 and died at 7-20x. ( bad move to leave that level for last, but it happened).

Got to 19/20 levels done once more and died at 7-5x again. This level is pretty easy but i keep breaking under the pressure.

This brings to a total of 5 times where I was one level off and died  ? Messed a 18/20 run too, but don´t even remember which level I failed.