The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

Okay... um... I like WWE. Really. I do. I'm going to continue to support them.

But this is starting to get ridiculous even with me. Which is saying something.

Multiple performers are being pulled from WrestleMania either as a precaution, sick, or in quarantine.

Roman Reigns is out of WrestleMania now as well.

Apparently they told talent that no one sick would show up at the PC but The Miz is reportedly sick and showed up at the PC regardless. This pissed off Roman Reigns and The Usos and it led to Reigns no longer willing to work under the circumstances due to him being immuno-compromised because of his leukemia treatment and I can't blame him at all.

It's time to put a stop to this once and for all. I don't care if it means having literally nothing to watch anymore.

WrestleMania, RAW, SmackDown!, NXT, and AEW need to be canceled until this goes away in 3-6 months or however long it takes to disappear.

But what the hell do I know?

?

3 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Okay... um... I like WWE. Really. I do. I'm going to continue to support them.

But this is starting to get ridiculous even with me. Which is saying something.

Multiple performers are being pulled from WrestleMania either as a precaution, sick, or in quarantine.

Roman Reigns is out of WrestleMania now as well.

Apparently they told talent that no one sick would show up at the PC but The Miz is reportedly sick and showed up at the PC regardless. This pissed off Roman Reigns and The Usos and it led to Reigns no longer willing to work under the circumstances due to him being immuno-compromised because of his leukemia treatment and I can't blame him at all.

It's time to put a stop to this once and for all. I don't care if it means having literally nothing to watch anymore.

WrestleMania, RAW, SmackDown!, NXT, and AEW need to be canceled until this goes away in 3-6 months or however long it takes to disappear.

But what the hell do I know?

1f612.png

I get it, they want to put on a product...but Wrestlemania is going to be a complete gong show when they could have just postponed it.

Also for programming...they have thousands of hours of footage on the network. Put that on and intersperse it with wrestlers (from their homes) talking about it. I mean you can't do that forever but imagine Roman Reigns talking about his favourite match involving one of his family members and then they show that match. Then you have Becky Lynch talking about a match and showing it.

You could also do some stuff from home where the wrestlers talk about their work out routines, eating habits, favourite movies...I don't know...just stuff to fill time in between showing retro matches. Maybe you pay DDP and have him to a 15 minute DDP Yoga that everyone at home could follow along with. You could have the New Day answering live questions from Twitter. I am just spit balling here.

People would forgive them (or at least sane people would) knowing it is temporary and maybe ratings take a bit of a dive...but at least everyone is safe.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

They always make a point of raw and smackdown being the longest running shows on tv yadda yadda. Theyll never stop broadcasting. They pride themselves on this.

My hope is after Covidmania they resort to highlights packages n documentaries. It still counts as Raw if you put the opening credits! 

Well AEW moves out of Florida for now but both those companies should stay home,

Especially after Wrestlemania, i mean are they going to have stories building up the next ppv?

They should just do what I said and run old shows with their wrestlers or legends talking about them. I mean it cant last forever but it could be pretty cool having austin and bret talk about their mania match or get Charlotte and Ric talking about the 92 rumble. It could be done and it would give them something to air until they can run shows.

After the last few Wrestlemanias went waaaay too long, having basically a Takeover length show felt pretty great. Not sure if the logistics would allow for them to keep it a two night event from here, but I certainly wouldn't be against it.

Match-wise, most of the first hour and a half was pretty solid. Only disappointing thing was probably Lynch/Baszler, which never really connected. Missed most of the ladder match, but heard they did well, and I thought the ending was super creative.

Rollins/Owens was very, very good; a lot of the previous matches seemed to up the trash talking in order to make up for a lack of crowd noise, but those two did so well at it that it's the only match that actually got better due to the empty arena. Lots of strong character work by both men.

Braun/Goldberg was basically a really bad version of the WM Brock/Goldberg match. Still kinda upset Braun's finally won the title right when I'm least interested in him.

Boneyard match was unbelievably fun, definitely match of the night. Everyone involved seemed to lean into the craziness of it all, just super well executed. Undertaker especially might have found a new lease on life; best his character has been in a long time, and the cinematic style definitely helps cover up his physical limitations. Actually, this too might have benefitted from the lack of crowd - no way would the match have gone this long at an actual WrestleMania with a crowd that paid tons for a seat. Hell, it probably would have been a normal match. Hoping the Funhouse match tomorrow can live up to the newfound hype.

Undertaker v AJ Styles was the best part of WM part 1. Taker behind AJ on excavator, druids, TP on Gallows (?), final Chokeslam on some wood, AJ's hand sticking out of the ground. I'm lovin it.
Rollins v Owens was weird fight. At least Owens's senton was crazy.
Becky Lynch ? win so I'm happy.
Braun v Goldberg was funny match. Imagine Goldberg attempting Jackhammer xDxD
TT includes some good highlights, but I don't like it.

The first night was a mixed bag for me. Maybe my expectations were just into the event were just too high, but most of it just felt kind of meh.

The Spectacular:

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins: Great match, and it was really enhanced by Rollins' solid heel work throughout. Both of them worked incredibly hard, and the pacing of the match was fantastic. My only gripe is that calling something out as a "Wrestlemania Moment" before a spot kills the magic a little bit, but hey, whatever. The match was a solid 4/5, and the best match of the event so far.

John Morrison vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jimmy Uso: All three of these performers were spectacular. They brought a ton of energy to the match, and some of the spots were insane. This match was so good that it could probably have headlined any non-Wrestlemania pay-per-view. Again, this one is a solid 4/5.

The Good:

Becky Lynch vs. Shayna Baszler: Both women worked hard, but I think the ending of the match hurt the over quality of the match a lot. I don't like championship-match wins via roll-up at WrestleMania, and Becky has won by roll-up in her last two WrestleMania wins. She deserves better, even though I can see why they went with the finish. I give this one a 3.75/5

The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles: I began to like this fight-scene more once I stopped looking at it like an actual pro-wrestling match. It was fine, even if I don't necessarily care for final-deletion type-matches. I don't really care about Biker-Taker either, so eh, whatever. My own personal feelings regarding the quirks of the match don't change the fact that Taker and Styles put on a hell of a show, though. 3/5.

The Okay:

Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross vs. Kairi Sane and Asuka: Formulaic tag match that was really hurt by the lack of a crowd. Alexa Bliss isn't a convincing face, and I was hoping that the Kabuki Warriors could pull a win here. They didn't, and Asuka's forgettable Wrestlemania record continues. 2.5/5

The Bad:

Sami Zayn vs. Daniel Bryan: I love Bryan. I love Zayn. I hate squash matches, I hate fuck-finishes, and both men deserved better. 1.5/5

The Atrocious:

Elias vs. King Corbin: Total snoozefest. I just couldn't stay engaged with this match, despite my best efforts. It was just...boring. 0.5/5

Goldberg vs. Braun Strowman: This was an angle. Not a match. I'm not a Goldberg fan, but how many more time are they going to squash him? 0/5.

Edited by darkamdusias

Didn't watch all of it, only a few matches I was somewhat interested in. Empty arenas are damn weird, this did not feel like Wrestlemania and they would have been better off to postpone it. I can honestly say that I do not get the appeal of these weird matches that are taped in some hillbilly swamp, or some comedy thats taped in an empty performance center. I must be getting old because every single one of these, be it that weird house of horrors match, boneyard or the firefly thing, all went completely over my head. If this is what this industry is heading towards then good riddance, I already watch barely anything thats produced these days.

Most matches were alright though, Brock vs Drew was kinda disappointing given the talent of the two could have resulted in something much greater, Braun vs Oldberg was predictably terrible even without the stuff surrounding it, Zayn vs Bryan somehow managed to disappoint as well. Owens vs Rollins was good and even delivered a noteworthy Mania moment. Even watched a womens match for once in my life, gotta say Rhea vs Charlotte was much better than I had expected, rarely do they actually deliver good and consistent in ring storytelling anymore but here they managed it. Also enjoyed Edge vs Orton despite it dragging on for a bit too long, but they were the only ones who really made use of the silence in the arena to give their match more depth and I felt pretty tense during some parts of the match, Edge is still great at what he does and I hope his neck stays strong.

As @Nighcisama says:

2 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Brock vs Drew was kinda disappointing.

But we have to remember that Brock, currently, would not have fought any longer than 5-8 minutes, even if there was no outbreak of the coronavirus. Still, his fight was better than Goldberg/Braun despite the fact that both clashes were played in an almost identical formula.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

WWE just got gifted a 'get out of jail free' card by Florida's idiotic governor who has now declared WWE, and pretty much any sport, an 'essential business'

Yep. This makes complete sense. 1f611.png

Yup, Florida proves once again why it is one of the shittiest place on Earth.

The scary thing is a lot of states will see that and think "hey we are losing out on money" and open up as well.

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Yup, Florida proves once again why it is one of the shittiest place on Earth.

The scary thing is a lot of states will see that and think "hey we are losing out on money" and open up as well.

The bad thing is I can see football clubs here (uk) trying to do the same thing. Hopefully the government blocks it.

Wrestling is not and never will be essential,  just host wwe esports tournaments or something, no human interaction required.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

WWE just got gifted a 'get out of jail free' card by Florida's idiotic governor who has now declared WWE, and pretty much any sport, an 'essential business'

Yep. This makes complete sense. 1f611.png

Money talks and bullshit walks. Even in the midst of a pandemic, this is true.

15 hours ago, jackmadrox said:

Money talks and bullshit walks. Even in the midst of a pandemic, this is true.

And speaking of that WWE just let go of a bunch of people. Got to appease the stock holders.

Seriously the Stock Market is one of the most evil things around. I hate how politicians and businesses put the welfare of the people over a couple of rich individuals who don't really care what happens to a company unless they make money on it.

• Like 2

My heart goes out to everyone who has, or is about to, lose their jobs. Completely needless bullshit that's all on a sad old man for flying too close to the sun yet again. How this man has ever earned anyone's loyalty is beyond me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AK-1138 said:

My heart goes out to everyone who has, or is about to, lose their jobs. Completely needless bullshit that's all on a sad old man for flying too close to the sun yet again. How this man has ever earned anyone's loyalty is beyond me.

His decision to make the same mistake he did 20 years ago with the XFL is even crazier considering this is the most legitimate competition he’s faced in years (although admittedly the reason for XFL failure this time is largely out of his hands). AEW is going to have a huge opportunity to pick up talent if they can weather the financial storm brought on by the pandemic, and knowing who’s backing that company, it seems likely they’ll be fine. 

24 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

AEW is going to have a huge opportunity to pick up talent if they can weather the financial storm brought on by the pandemic, and knowing who’s backing that company, it seems likely they’ll be fine. 

Anderson, Gallows and Rusev need to go to AEW ASAP, the rest so far, not so much.

Edit:  How the hell did I forget about the Revival, they need to be AEW stars immediately as well.  

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Anderson, Gallows and Rusev need to go to AEW ASAP, the rest so far, not so much.

Edit:  How the hell did I forget about the Revival, they need to be AEW stars immediately as well.  

I had been reading Revival to AEW even before this mass exodus, so I’m sure that’s happening. 

Here is the full list that I have seen so far of all the releases today. Still shocked. 

Kurt Angle
Aiden English
Drake Maverick
Curt Hawkins
Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Heath Slater
EC3
Eric Young
Lio Rush
Lance Storm
Shane Helms