XBox 360 production has ended

ShadowStar83x

not saying this due to the 360 chosing DVD as it's media which is already considered outdated but, I heard the 360 hardware have reach its limits since 2012 or I believe 2010. Epic Game said they have reach the 360 limits already with gears of war 2, as for gears 3 they just found some ways around the hardware and made it looks slightly better looking than gears 2.

I would think it would've have lasted a bit longer. The ps2 lasted for 12 years and had very ancient hardware. Not to mention every time I go into my local GameStop, I see people buying something for a 360. Controllers, games, hard drives, consoles etc etc.

People buying stuff for 360 doesn't mean people are buying 360s. It means people own 360s - I can go and buy something for a PS2 if I wanted, doesn't mean I'm buying the console since I already own one. Like Parker said, they likely didn't feel they were selling enough consoles to warrant producing more - peripherals and games being bought doesn't change that.

The PS2 would have ended production at lot earlier if it hadn't just released in Brazil a few years before hand. It didn't officially release there until 2009 - that kept it being made for a little bit longer. Had that not been the case, it most certainly would have ended around 2009-2010.

Edited by Fox

Well, the PS4 and Xbox One have been out for almost 3 years so this isnt that surprising. They obviously have to move on and try to increase the X1 sales. Considering that X1 has backwards compatibility, I reckon this will give the Xbox One sales a nice boost. I reckon PS3 production will stop in 1-2 years, cos I expect current gen to have a 6-7 years life cycle.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at this news as they have backwards compatability with the One. Hopefully Playstation don't do the same with the PS3 as they are seriously lacking in this area. I'd go out and buy a new PS3 in a heartbeat if my current one broke as I'd have no way to play the games otherwise. With the imminent arrival of the 'Neo' we could be faced with the odd situation of the PS4 being discontinued before the PS3

I highly doubt it. Xbox One is backwards compatible with 360 games and the PS4 isn't. There's no need for Microsoft to sell the old-gen console when the new gen can be used for those games. With PS3 games not being playable on PS4 that's a different story though.

Edited by Sprunky106

PS3 won in the end, IMO. Far better exclusives and JRPG support.

XB360 only have Vesperia and some Last Something RPG.

Tales Of Vesperia is also on PS3, so the fault for that is Namco for not bringing it to the states and Europe. So it's not exactly Xbox 360 exclusive anymore, but Namco went through that phase where they were basically saying that people outside of Japan don't like the Tales series or anything their Japanese branch make. They were proven wrong when Graces f and Xillia were localized.

Last Remnant which I guess is the one you mean was ported to PC. But yeah never became available on PlayStation.

Edited by MPRHWBMHSEL

I must be one of the only few people who can't stand the Xbox controller layout.

Guess so, because...

I HATE the layout. :awesome:

I still cannot comprehend how can anyone like the Xbox controller layout. 

Like... stick in thumb breaking position and where D-Pad is supposed to be? Just no =D

So, I fully understand your stance, it sometimes feels that way to me as well.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Well, the PS4 and Xbox One have been out for almost 3 years so this isnt that surprising. They obviously have to move on and try to increase the X1 sales. Considering that X1 has backwards compatibility, I reckon this will give the Xbox One sales a nice boost. I reckon PS3 production will stop in 1-2 years, cos I expect current gen to have a 6-7 years life cycle.

I don't really know about your prediction when it comes to PS3. Could be 3+ years too...

i never liked it, having to use batteries for the controllers, not compatibility with blu ray/only dvd, having to pay for multiplayer online, also didn't liked the menu interface style.

the controller design was good though, but everything else...

Wasn't Bluray initially Sony technology though? The first commercially available worldwide Blurays were out in 2006, while the 360 launched in late 2005. You could argue that they could have included it with later consoles but that would require a complete overhaul of the system which seems unreasonable from a business and practical standpoint (though I'm  not a tech expert so maybe I'm wrong), and they included it for the Xbone anyway. Given thata few years later Bluray players were a lot more commercially viable is it even that big of  a deal? Also lol having to pay for online multiplayer look what's happening now with the PS4. 

I've spent way more time on the 360 than ps3 and wii, Basically the early years had much better cross platform games given that the 360 wasn't a mindf$%k to program like the Ps3. The 360 certainly made an impact on online console gaming, it deserves some positive recognition in console history. It surprises me that a console with a huge failure rate could have gone on but It did, I didn't have a reliable 360 until the Jasper mobo was introduced and that would be my 5th xb. There was no competition for a while, the 360 got a huge head start and it paid off. Microsoft is a company that I'm not fond of but they did get the 360 right, if it wasn't for the horrible "reveal" in 2013 and the Kinect 2, maybe they'd still be succeeding at the same level.

I don't really know about your prediction when it comes to PS3. Could be 3+ years too...

Well, they aren't stocking up a lot of PS3's over here. In country's where its popular, it could last a long time, but in the few smaller markets, they might stop sales or maybe give it a price cut.

Guess so, because...

I HATE the layout. :awesome:

I still cannot comprehend how can anyone like the Xbox controller layout. 

Like... stick in thumb breaking position and where D-Pad is supposed to be? Just no =D

So, I fully understand your stance, it sometimes feels that way to me as well.

I wouldn't actually mind the 360 controller (though I'd still prefer the DualShock)... if it weren't for the face buttons. Those things are hard. And for a guy whose favorite genre is action games, staying with the 360 controller for an extended period of time means your right thumb gets absolutely sore. Last time (with Bayonetta), it took me two weeks before it went back to normal.

• Like 1

Well, they aren't stocking up a lot of PS3's over here. In country's where its popular, it could last a long time, but in the few smaller markets, they might stop sales or maybe give it a price cut.

We were talking about ending production.

Considering 360 sold 24k in the US in March and PS3 sold 2k I'm expecting Sony to announce their stopping production sometime soon. It's in their best interest anyway to get more PS4's out there and people to pay for PS Now to play the PS3 games.

We were talking about ending production.

They could manufacture a huge amount of consoles, stop production and keep selling PS3's. That's what they did with PS2 I think. Sony were selling PS2's till the end of 2014 / Q1 2015 here whereas production ended sometime in 2013 iirc. That's what I think will happen with PS3 and what I initially referred and its what MS is probably gonna do with the 360. I reckon the stocks will last for a while.

Edited by IntenseFATE98

I think it's a shame the production has ended already. On the other hand, since many 360 games are backwards compatible now I can see why they decided to do this.

Edited by Stevieboy
Thread clean-up. Had quoted a post I had removed.