What if... Sony would take away trophies. (Scenario)

CyberC-2

I play games mostly for storylines, and trophies are usually a fun distraction for me or a way to explore the game, new ways of playing or exploring the environment I'm placed in. I wouldn't miss them that much if they were taken away. It'd maybe take away some replay value or longevity but I rarely pay full price for games anyway, so I'm certain I'd still get a decent return for my money without them, most of the time at least. 

I think in some ways, trophies ruin the spirit of games. Why?

Take for example one of your absolute favourite childhood games gets remastered for the PS4. You're immediately excited, and you hope to god it has a platinum. And then it doesn't. You can't help but find yourself extremely disappointed and you don't even want to play it anymore.

You don't want one of your favourite games because it lacks a platinum.

Or, you're afraid to start a game that might be very difficult to complete because it'll ruin your 99% completion.

Or, you're afraid to start a game that might be very difficult to complete because it'll ruin your 99% completion.

I agree with this but...

Take for example one of your absolute favourite childhood games gets remastered for the PS4. You're immediately excited, and you hope to god it has a platinum. And then it doesn't. You can't help but find yourself extremely disappointed and you don't even want to play it anymore.

You don't want one of your favourite games because it lacks a platinum.

Seriously? You wouldn't play a game you loved so much just because it would not have a Plat? o.O

• Like 1

Damn. Then that might mean a lot of shitty indies won't sell at all or crappy reviewed games in general as most probably only buy them now for easy trophies etc. I mean no more buying duplicates of the same game for ps3 ps4 vita etc too! No more trophies might also push for longer actual gameplay because some games are just f#$@*€ing plain short, if not for multiple playthrough trophy crap, "trophy" hunters probably wouldnt play a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time making a short game seem much longer.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Damn. Then that might mean a lot of shitty indies won't sell at all or crappy reviewed games in general as most probably only buy them now for easy trophies etc. I mean no more buying duplicates of the same game for ps3 ps4 vita etc too! No more trophies might also push for longer actual gameplay because some games are just f#$@*€ing plain short, if not for multiple playthrough trophy crap, "trophy" hunters probably wouldnt play a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time making a short game seem much longer.

You might be exaggerating a bit here. Trophy hunters are ultimately a minority, no developer makes their game and goes ''let's make it short, trophy hunters will cover for us!''

You might be exaggerating a bit here. Trophy hunters are ultimately a minority, no developer makes their game and goes ''let's make it short, trophy hunters will cover for us!''

Possibly not shorter but I really do see sales drop. I don't see a "casual" gamer would buy a game 3 times or even 2 times to platinum, the only ones who would do such a thing would mostly be trophy hunters/collectors. 

I agree with this but...

Seriously? You wouldn't play a game you loved so much just because it would not have a Plat? o.O

I've seen many people that refuse to buy something, even something they love, because there's no Platinum.

Don't put me in with their ilk. I like trophies as much as the next person, but I think my trophies prove I could care less about my completion.

I've seen many people that refuse to buy something, even something they love, because there's no Platinum.

I guess I will stop buying my favourite chocolate or potato chips from now on and many other things, cause there is no platinum in it :awesome:

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Consider the amount of time we pour into getting them and the possibility for them to vanish at one point in time - your cumulative achievement  gone in an instant. Just like that. I like the thrill of the hunt and the hoarding aspect, however now that I look at it from a distance, it sometimes feels strange - rushing through a game, finishing it as quickly as possible in order to get to the next one, reading walkthroughs and watching guide videos in the process. Games should be about fun like back in the day.

I changed my mindset back to the old PSX/PS2 days- stick with RPGs and play what I really like.

As responsibilities increase and I find less and less time for gaming anyway, I guess the problem will sort itself out in the long run...

Edited by kitsune29

I would go back to playing games like before, although I wouldn't really feel as compelled to do the hardest difficulties or go for collectibles unless they added something to the story.

this and this

43402-Minions-cheering-gif-OrI5.gif

No problem, I'd play even more games now. 

plus this

Wow, that's some crazy Platinum addition those people have o.O

If they don't play it because it's Plat-less, I don't think they really love it xD

it is sad just how true this really is though Satoshi, i have talked to many they say "no plat no buy"

it is sad just how true this really is though Satoshi, i have talked to many they say "no plat no buy"

Sure, I kinda understand not playing something new because it does not have a Plat (frankly, our mindset is definitely like this 'Platinum == game is complete, we are willing to pay more' 'No Plat == some low priority indie') but not playing something one really likes just because it does not have a Plat?

That definitely makes me wonder about the extent of the 'love' they speak of :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you one thing, I'd certainly enjoy playing games more.

Trophies make every playthough a checklist of BS I have to do on top of beating a game. Over time it can make me depreciate a game entirely since it basically becomes filling out paperwork.

For Example: Deus Ex Human Revolution  I didn't mind the initial playthrough despite minor problems... By the time I got to focus on trophies I genuinely hated it. I hated collecting stuff. I hated having to change my gameplay style just to get a trophy I don't give a toss about.

Edited by SonicMTD
  • Like 1

Would love it and hate it. Be nice to not constantly be obsessing over unearned trophies and spending so much time playing in general because of them. Would miss them if they went though and would feel like I wouldn't be getting as much value for money when purchasing a new game.

• Like 1

I'd be upset at first, but wouldn't be fazed in the long run. The main reason for having trophies is "proving" your achievements in games, and well, my friends believe my achievements without having to check for themselves, so they're not exactly necessary.

That said, if I didn't get a good reward for it (i.e. an entire new level/ ending/ something like that), I would certainly not be such a completionist any more.

It'd probably cut down on my spending too. At the moment, I buy most games on ps4 so I have a linear trophy progression. If trophies were no longer an incentive, I'd probably only get PS4 exclusives on my PS, and torrent all other games onto my PC. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't have as many games on my list.

With games like Witcher 3 you SHOULDN'T be playing just for the trophies since the purpose is to explore and solve quests on your own. To an extent, even though I love collecting trophies I still think they devalue games from being as enjoyable as they could.

• Like 1