What if... Sony would take away trophies. (Scenario)

CyberC-2

Trophies are a double-edged sword. Case in point, FFVII trophies...

e51.jpg Best Bromance trophy_bronze.png
Go on a date with Barret in the Gold Saucer

Trophies like these force you to play the game a certain way at the expense of playing freely, killing all spontaneity; exact opposite of what a trophy should do.

cc8.jpg Shuriken Join Us trophy_bronze.png
Have Yuffie join your party

With this trophy, you'll have a whole new character in your party and to interact with during cutscenes and side quests that you may have missed otherwise. Great trophy because it encourages you to explore much more of the game for a richer experience. 

So, I suppose abandoning trophies would be a blessing and a curse.

Edited by AdventCloud7
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would be secretly relieved.  I can't stop myself from caring about trophies - even though I recognize that they diminish the fun of games for me.  I still have a slew of games to play on my 3DS, not to mention classic games, that I haven't touched simply because of trophy compatibility.  Hell, I'd love to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE but I probably won't because it's on the WiiU.

I'm about to start Trails of Cold Steel but to get some of the trophies... it stresses me the f*ck out.  I'm not even going to go for all the trophies.  Looking at a guide makes me sick.  I've told myself I'm going in pure and I'm just going to play.  But somewhere inside it still irks me.

I think... I actually hate trophies.

• Like 2

I have a little bit of a different answer from everyone else...

1. I'd sell a lot of my "meh" games in my backlog and sell games that I was going to come back to for trophies.

2. Use all that moolah to buy as many PSN Cards as possible ($50? xD).

3. And this may be where it gets a little odd... I would use every cent of those cards possible on PS1/PS2 Classics. I would finally have the nudge I needed to play some of the older games I missed on those systems. I could finally play Persona 4, FFVI, Dino Crisis, Psychonauts, Resident Evil 2 & 3, finish Persona 3 FES, finish FFVIII, replay FFIX, Tomba 1 & 2, the list goes on and on.

I know some of those games are being remade or on the PS4, but this is all theoretical. I'd rather pay 8 bucks for a PS1 classic than 60$ on a glamoured version of it if trophies are not a factor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would finally go to play some old gems I missed.

I would finish my favourite Games to the really 100%

I would play more on other platforms.

I would play all games always on highest difficulty like I did before and do not care for easy difficulties.

I would not complete games I didn't like. Well, it is rare that I get unliked games even started.

I would have a hard time to figure out what kind of gamer a player is and what he/she like.

Psnprofiles wouldn't be psnprofiles anymore... like other trophy-related sites too.

I would probably spent less time beeing online (trophy-compare, ...)

But I like the trophies to explore the games and to get some challenges ^^

(Umm.. I think I just was bored to write so much at night :P)

I loved games long before there were trophies and I will still love them just the same if they ever go away.  When I think back on my favorite gaming experiences, I think of the stories, characters, set pieces, and incredible game play moments; not the trophies I earned along the way.  That being said, I would probably spend less time with each game I play and consequently spend more money on games if trophies disappeared.

Edited by awf9495

Well I wouldn't be happy, that's for sure. I would probably eventually get over it and just continue to play games for sheer enjoyment. The lack of trophies would take some of the enjoyment away but it's not like that stopped me from thoroughly enjoying games back on the PS2 and PS1.

Be disappointed, than shrug it off. I get burned out on games really easily, so it's hard to care a whole lot about getting all the trophies. Trophies or not, my choices in games and what I'm in the mood to play has always come down to what currently interests me.

Reaction: Anger. Many, many hours were put exclusity into getting trophies and platinums, nothing more. I am a general completionist most of the time, but there are plenty of existent trophies that wouldnt be something a completionist would do.

- Would support my other consoles and other console games, much, more (like I used to before trophies existed). My Wii, Ds'es, and Wii U have suffered unforgivably... SOLELY due to trophies-- trophy priority.

- My game genre variety collection would decrease, but not as much as it was orginally as Ive already grown custom to different genres post PS2 era.

- Id enjoy the gaming hobby more.

- My friends list would decrease a little.

- Id both stop buying as much DLC as I have (for games), and wouldnt buy any for games I dont like enough just to get 100% in some.

- Backlog would have less games.

- Etc.

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1