Why do YOU platinum games?

GHOZTPRIME

I go for the platinum trophy for a number of reasons.

1. Challenge - I enjoy the challenge of picking out a game, and hunting down all the trophies. The platinum being the reward at the end of it all, a trophy/trinket that shows off all my hard work

2. Fun Factor - I find trophy hunting fun in general, if I didn't enjoy hunting for trophies, I'd not bother with them.

3. Ego - I like to show off that I'm good at games. Nobody can deny there's a bit of an ego boost when you beat and plat a game. Especially if it's a rare or hard platinum, like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or Serious Sam 3:BFE

4. Replayability and Unique challenges - Trophy hunting provides reasons to replay a game that you've beaten. I know there are plenty of games i played again immediately, due to a trophy I wanted. Trophy hunting also makes you do stuff you wouldn't normally do, like weird tasks like hunting down easter eggs such as the Cake in Portal 2 co-op or riding a boar into the sea of black tears in Brutal Legend.

Because I'm a completionist and can't let a game at a stage of anything below 100% :D

Before playing on the PS, I spent a lot of time playing several times through a game, just for the fun of exploring it to its fullest and/or learning the story through another character's eyes. I enjoyed the feeling of getting better acquainted with the game, its characters, stories and mechanics each playthrough.

With the PS, it's a different kind of gaming for me, since you know beforehand which challenges, tasks, quests etc. you need to fulfill. However, this does affect my choice of games, since I don't want to spend countless hours on mind-numbing grinding, just because you get a trophy for it.

For me, the ideal case is when you can explore a game without worrying about trophies (i.e. no missable trophies, please!) and when you're finished and want to deepen your experience of the game, you can complete any kind of sadistic requirements and get trophies for it ;) But trophies shouldn't dictate how you play through a game, they should be the icing on the cake :)

Lychnobia.png

Edited by Lychnobia

If games didn't have trophies or achievements I probably wouldn't even be gaming anymore. I've grown tired of video games and don't really enjoy them that much anymore. I keep playing video games as a distraction from life rather than a hobby. And trophies and platinums just makes playing the game a bit more rewarding I guess.

for me it's a sense of accomplishment kind of thing - i like the feeling of having completed something, especially so when the game in question is pretty tricky. it's kind of about feeling proud of yourself. but that being said, i would much rather see an 100% from an aesthetic standpoint than something like a 12%.

• 1 month later...

Well, I usually platinum games because I enjoy the games I plat and I want to make the most of them. But I think it goes a little farther than that.

Normally, if I encounter a set of goals that take a lot of time or are difficult for me in a game, I can be prone to just shrugging it off and ignoring it, as long as it's optional and I enjoy everything else the game has to offer. But when I'm hunting for trophies, I feel like a challenge is being dangled in front of me. It compels me to try harder and earn whatever I'm working towards.

And you know what? In the process, it gets me to have fun in ways I don't fully expect to. When I played Sonic Generations, I likely would have just settled for finishing the story, even though I enjoyed the game a lot. But because the trophies and Platinum were there, I was compelled to replay stages for S ranks and item completion. And, barring a few annoying exceptions (I'm looking at you, Planet Wisp Act 2 Red Rings), I had a great time going after those trophies! I learned to find optimal routes and techniques through stages for S ranks, which made running through them all the more thrilling. Red Ring hunting made me refrain from boosting and pay more attention to my surroundings, giving me a slower but more "thorough" control experience than I had before in the game. And although I haven't platinum'd Persona 4 Arena (because ffffffffffffudge those Challenges), playing with its ranked battles to achieve a trophy really felt like an experience as a fighting game newbie.

In short, I platinum games (or just hunt trophies in general) because I want to see more of what games have to offer... and the incentive of virtual shinies compels me to go through with my efforts :P

Because of that sensation of accomplishment you have when you do it. Another reason is this thinking of competing with the game programmers and testing my endurance and skill when obtaining a plat. In fact, i feel satisfied when i get a decent difficult trophy not mattering the rank.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm honest I mainly try to get all the trophies I can in certain games because it's just another challenge. Plus it's an excuse to replay certain games after I finish them (if they have a main story anyway).

Some I know I probably have no chance in getting, so I just try to get the ones I figure I can manage. Though I will admit, I only really got into trophy hunting fairly recently. lol.

Before there were trophies I use to play games I loved over and over again just to unlock things I had never seen before and the like. I played FF 7 about 20 times on the ps1 I also played games like P.G.A golf on the master system with friends till 3am in the morning at the weekend of course. So now I still do the same thing but I get trophies so I guess that's why I go for them.