PSN Themes: Prefer the default theme?

CediFonei

Kinda a silly topic, but I can't help but wonder. When it comes to choosing a theme for your PS console's background, am I the only one who vastly prefers the theme you get for free with the console over any "Premium" themes you might buy on PSN, such as "Flow" on PS4? As in, I would be more likely to buy PSN themes like Flow instead of those themed after Object X, Character Y, or Series Z. Sure, I'll look into getting avatars from specific franchises, but that's moreso an icon that provides a vague sense of identity on PSN rather than an aspect of the console centralized around my gaming activity. As an all-around gamer, I appreciate not affiliating my console with any specific franchise as I feel that better reflects my interests, rather than constantly making me think of Game Q as I think about what game I want to play that day. And the constantly animated, abstract style is something I really enjoy, too. It's eye catching, but not attention whoring. I'd actually like to see more Themes with a similar amount of... abstract-ness...

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I feel like that's generally why I prefer the default themes over anything paid on PSN. What do ya'll think?

Edited by CediFonei
  • Like 4

Nah Idgaf what my console represents to the massive amount of people who never see it. No one ever sees my dashboard. 
For me personally, the default theme is clean which is nice, but it's boring. There's plenty of clean themes that are nice too, so it loses out. ^_^
The transistor theme for example is real nice. ;) 

I prefer to see less shit on my screen tbh, though I wish they would change the default theme music it's getting old.

I just mute it whenever I'm going to spend more than 10 seconds on the menu. That's the drawback of the themes, even premium ones rarely change the music.

As for themes, I go with premium themes, but only of things I like. It adds a tiny bit of customization, which is nice. It's not like a PC or Xbox360/One, where you have full customization (you could make your own themes with a PC program for the Xbox360 and while the Xbox One doesn't let you, every achievement you earn also gives you a background image for your Xbox One), but it's alright. Due to them selling the themes on the PS Store, the selection can be extremely limited. I waited quite a while for them to finally sell a New World Zoro theme from One Piece.

• Like 1

I've always gone with premium themes over the standard theme, PS3 and 4. I currently have the Heavy Rain dynamic theme on PS3 and the  Paragon pre-order theme on my PS4, I just think they look nice and I have something to look at.

post-74507-0-68840800-1466359626_thumb.jpg post-74507-0-74864800-1466359628_thumb.png 

(not my screenshots)

I would have to agree with the OP. I don't really like using a theme from a game. Even if I really liked it, doesn't mean I'm now going to devote my entire Playstation experience to it. Not to mention, themes are really below low priority to me. I turn on my machine to play, not to stare at the menu, so the default theme works just fine to me. It's low-key and even changes color from time to time, so it doesn't get too stale.

If we had all the themes Japan has, you would be talking otherwise :awesome:

Nope, I don't like the default ones, they feel way too generic. I need my waifus.

I couldn't agree more!  xD The themes we get on our store tend to be pretty boring. A distinct lack of waifus. :P  Japan gets all the best themes. Luckily for us we can download them with a Japanese account.

Currently rocking the Tokyo Xanadu theme.  B)

Default for me. PS4 runs a spec better... No I can not statistically prove it but it feels like it's smoother. Anyways it would be nice if it had more color variations. There's over 10 million colors and we get only 8?? C'mon!

The default one is ok, but use mostly premium ones. I change my theme a lot, currently using the 7 Days to Die theme. Mostly use preorder or cheap themes that come out for a $1 or $2. Mostly game themes tho, not any themes that are object x, photo y, or animal z. The generic premium themes sorta suck, and are usually over priced for a theme. But have gotten a really neat Horizon theme, a Last of Us theme, and more. But really it doesn't matter in the end. You look at the home screen very little compared to the game screen. Speaking of all of this, is there any forum that has pics of most of the themes?

If we had all the themes Japan has, you would be talking otherwise :awesome:

Nope, I don't like the default ones, they feel way too generic. I need my waifus.

That is actually the opposite of what I'm saying. As far as my console themes go, I actually prefer non-specific, minimalistic designs over highly detailed ones. 'Sides, I'm pretty sure there's already a Shantae theme on PSN which I could get if my primary interest with themes was waifus.

I tend to use themes on the ps3 and ps4 but not ones associated with games. I thibk right now I have a dynamic werewolf theme on the ps3 and the Nightmares Unhinged theme on the ps4. However on the vita I much prefer customizing my screen with screenshots I've taken from the Danganronpa games, and other visual novels like Amnesia Memories and Code Realize. Although I do think I used the Danganronpa Despair Girls theme when that came came out. I really wish I could just take the music from that theme and use my screenshots.

I like any theme that moves and is pretty to look at. Right now I've got ... shit, I forgot. Anyway, the Oddworld and Order 1886 themes are great and I love them.

On PS3 I'm rockin' a CoD: Ghosts theme I got for ordering the game back in the day, it moves a little bit and I like it.

On Vita I'm straight up never leaving the default theme.

Basically, I just want my background to move and look pretty, static backgrounds are satan.

I just have the default purple one. I, for one, don't want to pay 2-5 bucks for a theme on my ps4. That's why I just download a picture from the Internet and put it as my ps3 background. I currently have a picture of one of my favorite Red vs. Blue characters. What I really, really want, though, is to assign the screenshots you take in game for a theme no the ps4.  I have a lot of beautiful, breathtaking photos from Uncharted 4 and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. And I wasn't lucky enough to get the Catalyst theme for preorder as I prefer discs.