Best PS4 RPG?

sephiroth70001

Which makes it irrelevant as an exclusive =D

Final Fantasy Type 0 is also PS4 exclusive since the PSP version was never localized, but that should not make it exclusive =D

Well, Omega Quintet is more like idol simulator and FPA... yea... I guess =D

Type-0 was on XBone.  There for it is not an Exclusive in any way

Exclusivity shouldn't matter. Some games originally exclusive can go multiplatform (see: NISA) and multiplatform doesn't make it any less a PS4 RPG. I'm pretty sure of you asked everyone what the best for PS3 was, I would like to believe a ton of Fallout 3's to the face would happen.

And so my pick goes to FFXIV A Realm Reborn. It might be a sub game, but there really is heaps to do and well crafted for an mmo.

Edited by AuzzieWingman

Is Bloodborne really an RPG?

I mean, sure, you have a character with levelling, weapon upgrading, customisation, etc, but do you really role play

I'd have said that the Soulsborne games were more akin to Metroidvania games - distinct but interlocking locations, an emphasis on exploration and boss-fights, etc - with some RPG elements. 

I don't think they should really count either, not many people are playing it for the story (the vague lore given, which people can link together to a great extent) but it's not really like things change as you level up apart from a few new spells and more dmg.

• Like 1

I don't think they should really count either, not many people are playing it for the story (the vague lore given, which people can link together to a great extent) but it's not really like things change as you level up apart from a few new spells and more dmg.

Yeah its all about the action..

To me, an RPG needs to have a bit more of an element of you taking on a character. Take Mass Effect for example; there you are Commander Shepard, and you play through the games making decisions and reacting to characters. Or in the Witcher 3, where you are not even creating a character so much as you are controlling one who's lore, personality and relationships are already somewhat established in the world. 

The Souldborne games lack this crucial element of role play, which makes them less RPG than action IMO. 

Really? I would say that the control of your character's actions in Souls games is VASTLY more that in, say, ME games. You hold the power of life and death over each and every character in the game.

Really? I would say that the control of your character's actions in Souls games is VASTLY more that in, say, ME games. You hold the power of life and death over each and every character in the game.

It's not about the level of control. In some ways, I'd say having more freedom in a game diminishes your capacity to role play. If there's no particular role for you to fulfill, how are you role-playing? Role-playing for me means stepping into the shoes of a character, rather than making a character my own. 

Take The Witcher 3 (again) for example. There, I'm not thinking of the decisions as being solely mine. I'm conceiving of myself-as-Geralt when I weigh up decisions, not just thinking about what I want to do, but about what Geralt would want to do. There are things at stake for Geralt and the other characters when I play that game.

Whereas in a game like the Soulsborne games, I think of the character as being my-character, and feel a greater sense of authorship over my actions. That's not playing a role, IMO, that's getting closer to pure self expression. Picking to kill an NPC because they will drop that sweet sweet sword I want so bad is a much easier decision in Soulsborne because I only have to worry about my build. In The Witcher 3, I have to put myself in Geralt's shoes, questioning whether Geralt trusts this NPC or not, thinking about what Geralt would want. That's role play. 

• Like 2

It's not about the level of control. In some ways, I'd say having more freedom in a game diminishes your capacity to role play. If there's no particular role for you to fulfill, how are you role-playing? Role-playing for me means stepping into the shoes of a character, rather than making a character my own.

Take The Witcher 3 (again) for example. There, I'm not thinking of the decisions as being solely mine. I'm conceiving of myself-as-Geralt when I weigh up decisions, not just thinking about what I want to do, but about what Geralt would want to do. There are things at stake for Geralt and the other characters when I play that game.

Whereas in a game like the Soulsborne games, I think of the character as being my-character, and feel a greater sense of authorship over my actions. That's not playing a role, IMO, that's getting closer to pure self expression. Picking to kill an NPC because they will drop that sweet sweet sword I want so bad is a much easier decision in Soulsborne because I only have to worry about my build. In The Witcher 3, I have to put myself in Geralt's shoes, questioning whether Geralt trusts this NPC or not, thinking about what Geralt would want. That's role play.

OK. i suppose you're free to think whatever you want in regards to roleplaying. But this would rule out some pretty classic RPGs (AD&D for example). Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

OK. i suppose you're free to think whatever you want in regards to roleplaying. But this would rule out some pretty classic RPGs (AD&D for example).

Yes, it rules out quite a lot of RPGs, not just classic, but certainly most older games and definitely a majority of games that is currently considered RPG. I can't really speak too much about ME, because I haven't played the games, but from what I've seen they are barely RPGs.

As for a role to fill, there certainly is one in the Souls games, Bloodborne and KF games etc. You're the slayer of demons, the chosen undead, bearer of the curse, the hunter, Jean Alfred Forrester, Granitiki prince Aleph, Verdite prince Lyle, Prince Devian of the Azalin Empire etc etc. :P Just because the game is more open, you can control the character the more, the game isn't necessarily focused on you but rather you're just another person in this world with a distinct path, this doesn't mean you're not role playing. RPGs are often much more focused on the stats stuff of everything from character to weapons and abilities etc too, this the games does extremely well. You don't necessarily have a ton of dialogue, but so what, how does that make it less of an RPG? As I've said before the entire dungeon crawler genre of RPGs are usually focused around the gameplay rather than dialogue. If dialogue is all the game got, I wouldn't call it RPG, that sounds more like a graphic adventure game.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Witcher 3, but that's obvious given everyone elses answer.

Other than that, I'd recommend Valykria Chronicles. It has a beautiful aesthetic and the RPG/Strategy elements blend together perfectly. Definitely worth a look. :)

I'm waiting for Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 though. They could easily top this list if they live up to the hype.

Dare I say it but ME2 and ME3 are corridor shooters to me in comparison to mass effect 1. I mean none of these are on PS4 but it's been mentioned.

As far as best story is concerned? Nothing has really stood out for me so far. If there's a lore and atmosphere category than so far I'd vote for both Souls games and BB.

I'd say Fallout 4. I love the action of the Fallout games and being able to make my own character and mold them to what I want them to be. I know The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne both have more rpg elements Than Fallout 4, but they arent for me.