New Metal Gear announced - The end ?

Natsuu24

I am a fan and I can say that, based on the trailer, this looks more like a Left4Dead game than a Metal Gear game. IMO, Metal Gear is a game about human conflicts, different viewpoints that lead to war, the need for power and supremacy over others, machinations and ploys. When you take that away and give the story a common enemy (in this case, the red-horned zombie things) the game loses exactly what made it so unique over the years.

Thanks, that makes sense. Didn't MGS already have zombies though? At least Phantom Pain had those zombie teleporting things.

Supernatural elements have always been part of Metal Gear Solid. It helps to research major points of a franchise before blindly jumping in - straight into the middle of canon no less. MGS has always been open with its themes of the supernatural, religion, politics, war, etc.

As for my opinion on the new game - I, for one, think it looks awesome and will be eagerly awaiting its release.

I actually did do some research, though not much because I don't want to get spoiled If a game shows me something that makes me want to play it, I tend to let myself be surprised. That's why I was disappointed with Fallout 3 - I expected a post-apocalyptic game in the style of Mad Max and Book Of Eli, not mutated mega monsters. I knew what I was getting in to come Fallout 4 and I enjoyed it a lot more. I remain of the opinion though that it's better to not be spoiled and get a nasty surprise every once in a while.

On MGS: I did ask around beforehand and nobody talked about the supernatural stuff, only about war, conflicts, stealth... The weirdest thing that came up was the cardboard box. Then I played the start of a few older MGS games and it was all stealth and action. Then I got the option to try out Ground Zeroes, and I really liked it. I went into Phantom Pain expecting Ground Zeroes but longer.

For a series that's all about the supernatural, Ground Zeroes sure had little of it. Nothing at all even, unless we count some tech that's not appropriate for the year the game is supposed to take place in.

Don't take me the wrong way, I think there was more wrong with Phantom Pain than just the supernatural stuff (in my opinion), but that's a discussion for an entirely different thread.

On the "middle of canon" bit, I did enough research to figure out it was about how "Big Boss" and his turn to the dark side, loads of background stuff about ops and mechas but nothing about supernatural stuff. But you really can't expect someone these days to start playing at a twenty year old game when a new game is released. I never played Fallout before 3, or Elder Scrolls before Morrowwind, or any Ratchet & Clank before the PS4 game, any Wolfenstein before New Order, any Zelda before Ocarina, or Mafia I, or Just Cause 1, or Trine 1... I played Second Son before the other Infamous games (currently working on the first one). I could go on but my point should be clear right now, and I'm sure I'm not the only gamer not feeling like catching up every time they see a new game they like which is part of an older franchise. Most developers know this and will give some recaps if it's not just an entirely new story, especially if it's the first game on a new generation console.

I read the title and thought it was going to be a discussion about the history of some major games series, how/why/when they chose to end them, and whether or not those decisions were right at the time.

Re-reading it, it could have also meant something major happened that was going to cause major franchises to stop being produced.

No reasonable person would assume it was referring to MGS until you got in the thread.

[...]

Clickbait.

Exactly. I thought one of the big developers had gone bankrupt or something, or maybe someone important died...

Edited by BillyHorrible

If you consider this tittle as click bait, then sorry for that, it wasn`t my intention. If is possible to change, i will change it

You can change the title of the thread by clicking the edit-button in the bottom right of the first post. Wait a bit until the editor shows up and right beside the "Save changes"-button will be "Use Full Editor". Click that and then you will see your post and the input-field for the thread title, which you can change then.

If it's not clear what I meant, have a look at this, section "Managing Threads:":

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/8202-new-forum-members-please-read/

I'm a little surprised that Konami is coming with a "Metal Gear" game so soon after MGSV. Not going to judge the game based off one trailer, just curious if there will be a SP component to it or will it be just another squad based MP using the name for recognition only.

Konami at the group meeting for this game.

CEO: With Kojima gone we gotta do something spectacular to show fans we're still here.

Guy 1: Like what.

Guy 2: Maybe we can revive Silent Hills and make it more awesome than anyone could have imagined.

Guy 1: Are you mad? Everyone has seen the trailer and played the demo? We will butcher it and expose ourselves as frauds.

Guy 3: Maybe we can bring Pachinko machines to the rest of the world.

CEO: Fantastic idea.

Guy 1: Yeah, really fantastic idea.

Guy 2 (envious): Yeah, great idea man.

CEO: But no. We need something a bit more. Something that will but us back on the map. Something that will make us a big company again.

Guy 1: What can possibly be better than Pachinko machines?

CEO: Get me Dean Hall.

Looks pretty good. Wonder how they'll handle the combat, since this is a survival game, and it seems you'll be handing hordes of enemies upfront regularly, so I wonder if there's even a stealth mechanic somewhere in this game. And then there's the tactical essence, but this game could still be tactical, seeing as how it is mainly a co-op survival game. People did say they wanted a new Metal Gear in where the gameplay was just as it was in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, even if it sacrificed some of the story elements the games are obviously well known. This should be a fun game to play with friends if it turns out to be good. Oh well, at least Konami ain't like renewing the timeline of the MGS series. Yeah, this game's "story" is... I don't even know. :lol: But hey, it takes focus in another dimension or whatever, so as long as it has no relation to the main MGS games' storyline, I guess this is fine with me.

Edited by A Flopping Brawl3r
  • Like 1

Ehh doesn't look like much but I'll try keep an open mind, I mean Revengeance ended up being a great spin-off and in my opinion carried on the spirit and identity of the franchise better than V ended up doing. Not saying I have high hopes for this but you know I welcome Konami to prove me wrong I'd be happy if they did. 

Thanks, that makes sense. Didn't MGS already have zombies though? At least Phantom Pain had those zombie teleporting things.

These weren't zombies in MGSV: TPP, these were Skulls, and they also controlled soldiers who they turned into their "puppets" by infecting them with parasites. They're zombie-like, yeah, but they're not zombies. But the games still dealt with a lot of supernatural stuff. But as for what the hell the enemies are in Metal Gear Survive, yeah, they're new type of enemies.

They did it. They actually did it. They made a zombie game out of Metal Gear. I thought I would be mad, but nope, nothing. I guess the only thing I feel is some kind of certainty that I'm not going to buy it. It was nice knowing you Metal Gear.

• Like 2

Won't be getting this. The entire franchise is dead to me now.

I honestly wish they'd release a Metal Gear Ac!d HD Collection for the PS4, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by Jigsy1
  • Like 1