The IP ban duration for submitting gamertags is brutal.

crglvs

Personally I would love to have stats just for registered users, restricting to members (i.e. those who have paid something) is a bit too hardcore but I would expect most people who are using the site to track stats to have registered on it.

I take pride in getting a game to Rank A on here, but if it was based on all users (or too many randoms that haven't even been to the site) then pretty much everything would show as Rank A which would defeat the point of using the site.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

But let say i made 10 psn alternate accounts for fun...i load each account up with say broken sword. But dont bother earning any trophies. Wouldnt the rarity of that platinum go up along with everything else on PSN. Of course 10 account probably wont even be enough to raise. But just assuming.

I wouldn't think so, because as long as you don't earn trophies, the list for that game won't appear on this site. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

7 minutes ago, kuuhaku said:

We're getting off topic... It's a topic about the ip ban and people are talking about making this site an exclusive club. @Stevieboy or @Parker might need to lock the thread if it continues.

It actually sort of does fit. A lot of people are saying there should be alternate ways of updating people that don't result in IP bans. That was one of the ways, although I think using the term "exclusive club" is inferencing a lot, because I didn't take it that way at all.

Also, most regular everyday conversations cover multiple topics and don't always stay on topic, in real life.

Edited by ShogunCroCop
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I wouldn't think so, because as long as you don't earn trophies, the list for that game won't appear on this site. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Sry for the confusion. I was referring to trophy rarity on PSN not PSNP.

I'm still banned for updating profiles like more than 3 weeks already now . I like to enter profiles on PSNP from people i encounter online or friends but genrally only those with a good amount of trophies and platinums that are not already registered in here .

• Like 2

pondered this a little at work today and figured i'd share my final thoughts on this...some of the content will repeat what has been said in previous posts...will also try to keep in check what other members have said up to this point...starting off with the topic at hand...the op claims to have been banned for updating too many users in too short a span of time...he seems to be able to use all of the features on the site aside from updating users...viewing profiles does not result in any kind of ban...is this correct?...the site has a system in place that bans the ip address if the above action is performed in hopes of keeping spambots at bay...this would seem to benefit us all...but there is no rule anywhere that says that updating users will result in a ban so a potential conflict of interest here...a possible solution would be to implement a rule somewhere that states that this can happen...another one would be to have a warning system in place...for example, let's say the current system bans a person after 5 updates...perhaps there could be a message that pops up like when you enter a false password on certain sites, that says something like "you have 3 more profiles to update before your ip address will be banned for X amount of days"...i'm not a fan of bans without warnings where there are not clear rules in place in most cases including this one but others may disagree...

then there was the discussion of why someone would want to add other users...it would seem there are a variety of answers here but the result seems to be to have their stats available and influence the ones on this site...now here we get into opinions...i think if the goal is to have as many stats available as possible then using sony's data might be best since it pretty much encompasses all users...yes, there will be hackers, brothers, sisters, uncles, alt accounts and such but they're here already...many people i've spoken to in real life that i come across through business who have never even heard of this site are in fact being tracked as well as my wife/kids' account...somewhat of a mystery how they got here but it is what it is...let's hope they are a minority and don't influence the stats too much...having sony's data would not only give us the biggest pool to draw stats from but would also completely eliminate this topic of ip address bans as there would be no reason to update users and the only "people" getting ip bans would in fact be spambots...now, it is also possible that we don't have access to such data and that the best way to do this is to do as people are doing, update users they come across...this could lead to "misuse" of the system in some cases where people are updating players with low completion/rarity in hopes of influencing current statistics...let's assume that these people ("with no life", as my co-worker claims; although i argued and convinced him that it is because they care, nothing wrong with that) are a minority and that the actual impact would be minimal...it could also be bothersome to some players who do not realize they are being tracked by the site and who have "questionable" trophies unlocked on their accounts...it seems to have ocurred in the past that some have gotten messages from members of the site asking them to explain their timestamps or whatever only to have the accused player come here asking how they can be removed from being tracked by the site...rare case...my suggestion here for those with good intentions would be this...try sending a private message to the player(s) you find interesting and see if they would join the site...a bigger community = more help, more knowledge, more wisdom...classier than just updating and more helpful to the community imo but just my opinion...also for the rare case ones (be polite, please...hacker, cheater, etc. or not, respect goes a long way and particularly since we all have equal roles to play as ambassadors to this community)...

now there is also the point of having only members of psnp's stats available...as previously stated, i love numbers and think it would be awesome to see numbers that represent only members of this site...i know it's on the front page and all but had no idea that we are nearing the 200 000 mark..there are actually 200 000 people in the world that give somewhat of a damn about trophies?...enough to join this site at least...brilliant...i'm not saying remove the current tracked users one and replace it but rather add it so we could compare the general public vs members of our site...for those claiming to love the site for its stats then wouldn't having more stats be even more of a reason to love it?...does having both numbers available not please all crowds?...don't like the current tracked users one?...it's cool, check out the psnp members-only one...don't care about how members of the site are doing?...that's cool too, check out the tracked users one instead...love stats?...that's great check out all of these stats we have and compare, care, and share as you like (banal sentence with objective of rhyming; i think y'all get my point)...i am also suggesting to consider drawing from a larger group of players like the one on PSN to please the mentality of "the more, the merrier" and of those who are spending time updating other players but now realize that perhaps the percentages would be roughly the same as the current ones...nothing more to add to this topic...thanks to all for posting...lots of food for thought here...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

but there is no rule anywhere that says that updating users will result in a ban so a potential conflict of interest here...a possible solution would be to implement a rule somewhere that states that this can happen...another one would be to have a warning system in place...for example, let's say the current system bans a person after 5 updates...perhaps there could be a message that pops up like when you enter a false password on certain sites, that says something like "you have 3 more profiles to update before your ip address will be banned for X amount of days"...i'm not a fan of bans without warnings where there are not clear rules in place in most cases including this one but others may disagree...

As was made abundantly clear when I asked for a formal, written rule about No Threads For Boosting, ONLY violations that will result in Warning Points will be written down as official rules. Since this would NEVER result in warning points, this will never be written into the site rules. 

ummm...you quoted my post...did i say specifically site rules?...are people getting bans of some sort for boosting threads?..."implement a rule somewhere that states this can happen" could be as simple as a formal statement in this thread or another by one of the mods that we could later quote should it happen to other players...searched and couldn't find one but am not very tech savvy...i do know that sly has posted to use gaming sessions before and have seen it quoted now in many of recent boosting threads that have popped up...i think there has also been the suggestion of a sub-set of rules/site etiquette posted somewhere...currently one doesn't exist and it's quite possible this is not accidental...have not seen/couldn't find one for this topic...anyone have a good sly quote with regards to ip address bans?...maintain that it sucks that people are getting bans without warnings but not my decision to make and it does in effect keep the site clean of spambots which is definitely a positive thing imo...

Edited by ProfBambam55

thanks for that...and correction to previous statement...not ip address bans...ip address temporary blocks...this guy is a premium member though..solution is "just update less?"...was hoping for something a liitle more concrete with actual figures...perhaps the lack of such numbers is not accidental...

For clarification, I don't think it's frowned upon to add other people to the site, however I think about a year ago Sly took peoples profiles out that had no activity for a long time (not updates, no views) and didn't have many trophies, it clears up server space for unused data and pages, I doubt it was really done to move average trophy percents down half a percent. :P 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mekktor said:

Yeah I was suggesting to use only members of PSNP for stat tracking. I would expect limiting it to dedicated trophy hunters would make trophies less rare (see PSN vs PSNProfiles rarity).

You're right it would be less rare, messed that up a bit.

13 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

And that is what makes it difficult to do. What are some proper ways of defining the population appropriately when seemingly anyone can be added to the database?

I don't see a problem with adding anyone at any time to the database. Everyone is a legitimate user, no names are made up, they are real PSN names, however, as for controlling it.

Maybe have a regular purge of the PSNP Database and have for example the following:

If a user hasn't earned a trophy in 3 months and they are lower than level 5 then remove them (unless they are a member). They can be added again in the usual way.

If a user hasn't earned a trophy in 6 months and they are lower than level 8 (same as above)

If a user is over level 10 then leave them on indefinitely.

This is just an idea that could be improved upon. Having this in place means you are comparing stats with active players or players that were once active and had an interest in trophies. As mentioned anyone can be re-added.

As for stats from just PSNP members, lets not forget how many of us being trophy hunters have an alt account on here that are used to try out games, surely those kind of accounts pollute statistics even more than legitimate gamers who don't use the site.

Back to the OP though, there definitely should be warnings presented to the user if they are doing something they shouldn't be doing especially when a lot of us didn't even know you shouldn't be doing it.

7 hours ago, BlindMango said:

For clarification, I don't think it's frowned upon to add other people to the site, however I think about a year ago Sly took peoples profiles out that had no activity for a long time (not updates, no views) and didn't have many trophies, it clears up server space for unused data and pages, I doubt it was really done to move average trophy percents down half a percent. :P 

Sorry Blind Mango, I missed the third page and what you wrote here, I didn't realise Sly already had a purge feature in place

• Like 1

I can understand where the OP is coming from. Also I agree that the more players there are in the database the more accurate the data is. For example, the % of players who attained a particular trophy is shown on PSN and it's always nice when you get a rare trophy. However while said trophy might be rare on PSN, it's downgraded to a common trophy on a trophy hunting site.

End of the day there's no way to please everyone and overall it's more important that the site runs smoothly & isn't cluttered compared to a small increase in rarity %.

With over sixty million monthly PSN users the statistics on the site will never become any more accurate. The statistics shown on PSN by Sony are as accurate as it gets, if you want "accuracy" then the discussion isn't about how many users are you supposed to add to the database, but whether Sly should favor Sony's stats tracking instead of the local one. I doubt eg. total number of trophy achievers off Sony's servers is even possible for PSNP.

When you update a user to the database it isn't a local thing, PSNP servers call Sony's servers to get up-to-date information on the account. I see some clear reasons why there would be a mechanism to prevent spam towards a third party, who can make or break your site...

On 1/19/2017 at 0:41 AM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

But let say i made 10 psn alternate accounts for fun...i load each account up with say broken sword. But dont bother earning any trophies. Wouldnt the rarity of that platinum go up along with everything else on PSN. Of course 10 account probably wont even be enough to raise. But just assuming.

On 1/19/2017 at 2:09 AM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Sry for the confusion. I was referring to trophy rarity on PSN not PSNP.

IIRC, you can’t create more than 64 accounts on PS3. That number is way not enough to influence rarity or any other statistics on PSN noticeably because of at least 110 million other accounts. On the other hand, limiting calculated stats only to the members of a relatively small community may allow in some cases to manipulate stats by fake accounts significantly. So the principle the more gamers, the merrier is also protects from deliberately influencing the stats, making such attempts less effective or even negligible at all. Not that I care much about this kind of “problem”, just pointing out the possible solution.

Edited by Se7en

Holy crud...250 manual updates?...so the claims of 5 or 30 or whatever have got to be wrong...is it possible this is total updates per member?...if a daily limit seems more than ample...it would take just over 4 hours inputting a psn id/minute to get a temporary block...that would be dedication and perhaps the block would force a much needed break...haha...what I would give to have that kind of spare time...

Edited by ProfBambam55

22 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

The limit isn't that brutal, it allows 250 manual updates and you can still update your own profile with the block (just not others).

I need to be able to check for abuse (even with the automatic measures we have).

Are the 250 manual updates to users already on the database only?

Are adding new users to the database a violation if you exceed a set number of new users?

If so could there be some kind of warning when adding more than one new user because up to now if I was gaming online and wanted to look at a users trophy profile I would use this site oblivious to them being on the database or not (in fact before now I didn't know if there was a way of knowing who was new and who wasn't) . I always thought this site encouraged as many PSN names as possible in order for the stats to be as meaningful as possible across the wide range of gamers out there.

If the OP is right it sounds like he exceeded the number of new users allowed, without warning and then wasn't allowed to add any new users which does seem harsh when you don't know you're doing something wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Are the 250 manual updates to users already on the database only?

Are adding new users to the database a violation if you exceed a set number of new users?

If so could there be some kind of warning when adding more than one new user because up to now if I was gaming online and wanted to look at a users trophy profile I would use this site oblivious to them being on the database or not (in fact before now I didn't know if there was a way of knowing who was new and who wasn't) . I always thought this site encouraged as many PSN names as possible in order for the stats to be as meaningful as possible across the wide range of gamers out there.

If the OP is right it sounds like he exceeded the number of new users allowed, without warning and then wasn't allowed to add any new users which does seem harsh when you don't know you're doing something wrong.

No, just 250 manual updates.

• Like 1

Seems completely reasonable that 250 manual updates would implement a temporary block.

The number of people who even come close to entering 250 manual updates is probably absurdly small. To create and implement a warning for something that impacts such an minute amount of people is completely overkill and totally unnecessary. Their only inconvenience is they can't update others for a temporary amount of time. They can get back to updating others after their temporary restriction is up.

Looks like this was blown WAY out of proportion as damon said above.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2017 at 4:27 PM, kuuhaku said:

We're getting off topic... It's a topic about the ip ban and people are talking about making this site an exclusive club. @Stevieboy or @Parker might need to lock the thread if it continues.

Fair enough, so let me ask for a full clarification: is it against site policy to add people to the site (other than yourself)? I know that I myself have done this (usually for big trophy hunters that have now retired), but I don't want to be out of step with the rules here.

EDIT: And...it seems that Mango already answered this.

Edited by starcrunch061

27 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

No, just 250 manual updates.

Wow then this thread really was blown out of proportion. The OP said he only entered around 5 users so they must have been a bit economical with the truth.

Glad to hear that it's fine to update existing users and that adding new users just counts as an update. I was worried I could be violating site rules.

• Like 1