Your opinion on games with mostly hidden trophies?

Zanreo

So when looking through my trophy lists on console, I've noticed several games where most of the trophies are hidden, and even if you can easily look them up online it kinda feels... annoying, in a way?
Personally I don't think there's much of a point in hidden trophies most of the time (except spoiler ones, keep those hidden until you get them). Especially if they're for tasks that might not be too easy to guess out of nowhere.

But yeah, what do you think?

• Like 1

I'm always looking up a trophyguide before I start or buy something.

Since I got some slaps from PS+ games (Giana Sisters or Hoard eg), I'm always looking up difficulty, approx time, multiplayer (Yes? No? How many trophies? How many hours? Multiplayer alive? Servers online? --- At the moment the only "dangerous" Platinum so far on my list is WatchDogs1 on PS3, because I still havn't done these 10 online hacks because meh...), missable trophies, gameplay videos, etc... I'm not reading a walkthrough, as said, just a trophyguide. They are mostly spoiler free, especially when you just check the missable trophies. But I do admit that I'm trying to play a game the most comfortable way. When a game has, lets say, 15 endings, I don't want to actually play it 15 times. It is for sure do-able in just eg 2 playthroughs with multiple saves.

IIRC I was at some point above 95% completion. I want to go back there somewhen, without hiding something. But I have so many, in my opinion, "meh..." games meanwhile in my profile... I mean... In relation that my profile is still pretty small.

And meanwhile I'm more checking for gameplay videos, because, even though I like LEGO games... I must say... Ninjago is shit... And why can they talk now? It's ruining the whole experience imo...

• Like 2

I don't mind when they're actual story spoilers, but when they have nothing to do with the story, it gets annoying. Since they'll often be mixed in with the story spoilers, you can end up spoiling something you never intended to. Some developers will space them out, like the story spoilers are right near the top of the list, the "fun" ones are near the bottom, which is alright in my book.

• Like 2

Hm i love when devs show all trophies including story related ones , and just write something like this in describtion: "Who have thought that HE was the villian" .  So even the story related trophies are Spoiler free.  Or if you have to find a secret on island , just call it "Find the secret"...... 

I dislike hidden trophies because it makes tracking on ps harder and i often upload on psnp just to see better what trophies are left.

I hate them. There is exactly one reason to hide a trophy, and that's for spoilers. But hiding things like, scores necessary on certain levels? Ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, Bubblyfishes said:

I'm not that bothered as you can view the contents of hidden trophies now, or just look them up online which is what I mostly do. But all in all, this kind of makes their purpose void. 

True, but usually, all trophies are then laid bare, and you don't know which ones are spoiling plot points.

• Like 1

I love them because it at least creates a challenge for the first players to discover what the trophy requirements for. Of course, they promptly ruin the mystery for others when they race for 15 seconds of fame to get the information posted online. It's a game in a game. And it shows who plays for trophies and who plays to play.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

I hate them. There is exactly one reason to hide a trophy, and that's for spoilers. But hiding things like, scores necessary on certain levels? Ridiculous.

True, but usually, all trophies are then laid bare, and you don't know which ones are spoiling plot points.

Yeah, that's why the hidden trophies system can be scrapped for my part, and replaced by a similar spoiler system. Hiding other things can force you to do multiple playthroughs when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Thank you trophy guides! 

I personally hate when trophies shows it hidden because I don't know what the trophy is where I hate having to look up on what it is especially if the trophy has something to do a certain amount of part during gameplay. I honestly perfer if the hidden trophy relate to the story, but using a trophy guide, I think it's pointless that I feel indifferent about it

• Like 1

It bothers me when they ask for specific tasks that make you play the game in a certain way. Like the horse trophy for RDR, I got it only by chance at the last mission, if I hadn't I would have to start a new game just for that one trophy. It made no sense that it was hidden.

Hidden torphies should only apply to story/spoiler trophies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marvelboy10 said:

Has any one ever earned a hidden trophy without knowing how to unlock it? I don't mean story based trophies I mean the ones where you have to get like 20 kills with the same gun or something like that.

I know i haven't, but then again I tend to look over the trophy list online before/right after I start playing so I'd know about any hidden ones x3 But for some of them I don't think I'd guess what to do in the first place...

I don't mind if story-specific trophies are hidden. But what annoys me if some devs think that it's a cool idea to mark the complete trophy list as hidden. IIRC Idea Factory/Compile Heart is one dev that really likes to mark most if not all trophies as hidden, even those auto-pop things like beat your first enemy, start the game etc.

• Like 1