Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

38 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

Trump calls himself a stable genius, that doesn't make it true.

What are you talking about? His vast empire of "equestrian hotels" shows just how much of a stable genius he is! You don't believe it because you only watch and read #Fakenews. SAD!

40 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

I am willing to bet Travis Strikes Again won't be on the showcase; there's enough games to show and Travis Strikes Again has already been shown on the Direct from less than two weeks ago.

You do have a point there. I think if it ISN'T included, it will be because we just saw it in the last Direct, not because Nintendo doesn't consider it an Indie. So I'd say it might show up (especially if some milestone has been reached or a release date has been announced), but has good reasons not to.

42 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

I never tried Terraria, I might on the Switch though. But I'm not playing Minecraft, and that's final.

I also refuse to play Minecraft. I don't know what the reasons are for you, but for me it's a combination of Notch being a great example of the new generation of rich pricks, the terrible graphics, and the unstructured gameplay. I am not creative enough to get much enjoyment out of it. For what it's worth, I found Terraria very cool and fun for at least 20 hours. I probably played it way more than that, but it's a case of diminishing returns I think. After a while it gets less fun, like many games. It's similar to No Man's Sky in that the core exploration and combat is enough to hook you for a while. After I saw most of what the game had to offer, I didn't feel like I need to keep playing. I recommend giving it a shot, if you can find it at a decent price. You can get it on PS4 cheaply enough, but I think it would be worth getting it on Switch if you value playing it on the go.

Well, interesting Nindies showcase.

I have varied degrees of interest higher than zero for the following:

Pool Panic:

Seems quirky, stupid and funny. Will pick it up if it's cheap enough.

Light Fall:

Seems like a cool platformer with some challenge to counterbalance the laid back games that I'm playing.

West Of Loathing:

Seems quirky, stupid and funny. Will pick it up if it's cheap enough.

Pode:

Seems sweet, and probably a good game for my wife to co-op with again.

The Messenger:

8-bit to 16-bit platformer action? Count me in!

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I also refuse to play Minecraft. I don't know what the reasons are for you, but for me it's a combination of Notch being a great example of the new generation of rich pricks, the terrible graphics, and the unstructured gameplay. I am not creative enough to get much enjoyment out of it. For what it's worth, I found Terraria very cool and fun for at least 20 hours. I probably played it way more than that, but it's a case of diminishing returns I think. After a while it gets less fun, like many games. It's similar to No Man's Sky in that the core exploration and combat is enough to hook you for a while. After I saw most of what the game had to offer, I didn't feel like I need to keep playing. I recommend giving it a shot, if you can find it at a decent price. You can get it on PS4 cheaply enough, but I think it would be worth getting it on Switch if you value playing it on the go.

I actually downloaded the demo for Minecraft to see what the fuss was about, but I thought it was so dn boring that I didn't even finish playing the demo.

I did like Stardew Valley though, so I figure I shouldn't immediately dismiss games that seem to be outside of my comfort zone. Then again, I don't really think I'll enjoy Terraria, it just seems not for me.

I'd be more into it on the Switch than on PS4 though, the small screen and playing in short bursts really helps me, I've found.

Edited by Riq IV
typo

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice. It sounds like the game will be right up my alley when I finally get around to getting it. I suspect that the reviewers who called it too easy didn't go for any collectibles or secrets, and are probably the same group of people who compare anything remotely difficult to Dark Souls because it's trendy, and call everything else too easy (e.g. several reviews of Super Mario Odyssey). Gaming is big enough to encompass a diverse set of difficulties and styles. Not everything needs to be a "gaming phenomenon" like Dark Souls and Overwatch. Come to think of it, those games hardly ever interest me...

The special collectibles (pink puzzle pieces and switches) in Kirby Star Allies are quite easy to find. We had them all collected in maybe under 10 hours of game time. For full 100% completion you also need to win the minigames and complete The Ultimate Choice (boss rush) and Star Allies Go! ("RPG" speedrun mode). There are also lots of regular puzzle pieces to collect and those will take some time to grind. We're currently at 82% completion.

We died a few times during story mode, but by the time we had finished it Kirby had 180+ extra lives. The game wasn't too easy IMO and I think it was much more fun to not get frustrated for dying over and over again to spots that would require godly platforming skills. I didn't curse or complain even once during the game. Kirby is a real feel good game that put a smile on our face. There are lots of really funny and clever things to find. @Riq IV remember to go back to story mode after beating it to find a new extra level. It has some amazing stuff!

I think March 28th they'll update the game to include even more friends for Kirby. Looking forward to playing as the hamster!

11 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

The special collectibles (pink puzzle pieces and switches) in Kirby Star Allies are quite easy to find. We had them all collected in maybe under 10 hours of game time. For full 100% completion you also need to win the minigames and complete The Ultimate Choice (boss rush) and Star Allies Go! ("RPG" speedrun mode). There are also lots of regular puzzle pieces to collect and those will take some time to grind. We're currently at 82% completion.

Binding completion percentage to winning the two multiplayer minigames seems silly. Just get in with four controllers and only play with one of them. And yeah @MosesRockefeller the secrets aren't that hard to find (halfway through world four now and I only missed one special puzzle piece on my first play), and the extra levels aren't a huge bump in difficulty either.

It's one of the problems with reviewers and AAA publishers today, they all need everything to be huge challenging open world games. Kirby immediately becoming the most downloaded game in many eShop regions luckily proves that there's enough people who can want a csual platformer.

We died a few times during story mode, but by the time we had finished it Kirby had 180+ extra lives. The game wasn't too easy IMO and I think it was much more fun to not get frustrated for dying over and over again to spots that would require godly platforming skills. I didn't curse or complain even once during the game. Kirby is a real feel good game that put a smile on our face. There are lots of really funny and clever things to find. @Riq IV remember to go back to story mode after beating it to find a new extra level. It has some amazing stuff!

Don't worry about me, I'll go for 100% completion :)

I've died in only one level up to now, but I was tired (actually decided to stop the game when I died as it meant to me I wasn't awake enough any more). It was in the west wall level in world three, there was an abyss and I hadn't realised yet that I couldn't float when holding a key.

I don't mind the game being easy either. If I want a challenge, I'll play some more Völgarr, and the showcase yesterday showed there's a few challenging games coming up that seem good for me.

I think March 28th they'll update the game to include even more friends for Kirby. Looking forward to playing as the hamster!

I'd rather see new levels but I get it if that won't happen. I'm using King Dedede and Meta Knight as friends, and a fourth to give us elemental attack ups for our weapons.

The hamster can be seen in an attack when you have the broom costume, by the way.

11 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Dunno why I ever get my hopes up about Hollow Knight. Getting annoyed at this point.

Well, the theme of the showcase seemed to be "games you didn't know yet that are coming to the Switch", I didn't see a single release date.

At this rate though, Hollow Knight and Shakedown Hawaii won't be released until the Switch XL.

2 hours ago, Riq IV said:

I'd rather see new levels but I get it if that won't happen. I'm using King Dedede and Meta Knight as friends, and a fourth to give us elemental attack ups for our weapons.

The hamster can be seen in an attack when you have the broom costume, by the way.

Oh, I thought it's a cat as there's also a witch reference in the broom costume. I'd welcome new levels too or maybe new minigames.

17 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Dunno why I ever get my hopes up about Hollow Knight. Getting annoyed at this point.

I don't use Twitter so I didn't see this until it was posted i the news, but here: 

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/hollow_knight_on_switch_not_part_of_the_nindies_showcase_but_release_news_is_coming_soon

Looks like we're getting an update later this week. 

The biggest news for me in the Showcase was Mark of the Ninja Remastered. I got it on Steam and tried it for about 10 minutes, and thought "I'd love to play this on a console". So far it's been a X360/PC exclusive, and to date it hasn't been made backwards compatible on X1. So I am excited about it coming to Switch. I'm definitely getting it. 

Other games that looked interesting to me: The Messenger, Lumines Remastered (I have one of the games on Vita so that's probably enough for me), West of Loathing, Light Fall, and Bomb Chicken

So far Mark of the Ninja is the only definite purchase, but that could change as these games start coming out. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Hollow Knight, The Messenger and Mark of the Ninja are the ones I'm most interested in... of the "indies coming to the Switch but don't really have a release date" crowd.  Pending the existence of a physical release (be it the retail kind or limited run) of course.

The Messenger seems like a candidate for a physical release by Special Reserve Games (and has actually been hinted at), since they're all under the Devolver umbrella.  Remains to be seen if that's just a Playstation thing, since that's all they've done up to this point... or Switch as well.

Edited by Dreakon13

19 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

Lots of cool new sales are up. Tempted with The Count Lucanor, which is 50% off.

Just chiming in to say that this is my first time visiting Nintendo’s eShop web store, and omg it’s so user friendly! Deep filter and sorting options that actually work and that certain other web stores lack ?

Edited by Zondares

27 minutes ago, Zondares said:

Just chiming in to say that this is my first time visiting Nintendo’s eShop web store, and omg it’s so user friendly!

Wow, you're not kidding! I usually browse on the Switch itself, but the website shows a lot more especially in upcoming games like Wolfenstein 2.

I found this little gem there:

Spoiler

Wo_L.png

Looks like West of Loathing's sense of comedy will appeal to me.

45 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

Lots of cool new sales are up. Tempted with The Count Lucanor, which is 50% off.

Thanks for the heads up. There's a lot of stuff on sale. I forget if you got LA Noire on Switch, but $37.50 is the lowest I've seen (it's normally 49.99). I have the PS3 version, but it's a bit clunky there. I wonder if it's worth the price to get the Switch version...

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I'm looking very much forward to the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port. It was one of my favorite games on WiiU. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Super Smash Bros., I'll probably pick up this upcoming title whether it's a port or brand new game.

My most played game on my Switch is easily Zelda with ~115 hours. I made sure to take my time (for the most part) to explore the vast majority of Hyrule and enjoy the experience of finding the shrines, getting as many of the Korok Seeds along the way as I played, and finding all the Memory Photos. I'm sure that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will replace that soon enough whenever I get hooked online like I did on the WiiU version.

I'm also looking very much forward to the new Mario Tennis. I've always liked Mario Tennis back as far back as the N64 game. I'm just hoping that at some point, we will see a Mario Golf game on the Switch. The recent one on 3DS is pretty good, but we haven't seen a main console Mario Golf game since Toadstool Tour (and that was way back in 2003).

Edited by ARB1992

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the heads up. There's a lot of stuff on sale. I forget if you got LA Noire on Switch, but $37.50 is the lowest I've seen (it's normally 49.99). I have the PS3 version, but it's a bit clunky there. I wonder if it's worth the price to get the Switch version...

I've pre-ordered it on X360, and bought the PS3 complete version when it was €7 or so.

I want to get the Switch version as it's one of my favourite games, but its size is too big. I'll get it when it's €15 or less.

14 minutes ago, ARB1992 said:

I'm looking very much forward to the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port. It was one of my favorite games on WiiU. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Super Smash Bros., I'll probably pick up this upcoming title whether it's a port or brand new game.

Haven't played anything on Wii U, looking forward to Tropical Freeze though. I'll get Smash on a sale, not really my thing.

My most played game on my Switch is easily Zelda with ~115 hours. I made sure to take my time (for the most part) to explore the vast majority of Hyrule and enjoy the experience of finding the shrines, getting as many of the Korok Seeds along the way as I played, and finding all the Memory Photos. I'm sure that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will replace that soon enough whenever I get hooked online like I did on the WiiU version.

Zelda and Stardew Valley are tied for me for most played game, both 65-70 hours. I should get back to Skyrim, that one may surpass them.

I'm also looking very much forward to the new Mario Tennis. I've always liked Mario Tennis back as far back as the N64 game. I'm just hoping that at some point, we will see a Mario Golf game on the Switch. The recent one on 3DS is pretty good, but we haven't seen a main console Mario Golf game since Toadstool Tour (and that was way back in 2003).

Have you tried Golf Story? It's pretty sweet.

Tennis isn't really pulling me in, then again I'm usually not into sports games.

To the collector's out there...

Super Rare Games (yet another "limited run" publisher) next release is going to be The Flame in the Flood on the Switch.  It's available for preorder now.  Following up their first release, Human: Fall Flat... which is still available (5000 copies of a quirky niche game is probably tough number to sell for a new and unknown entity like this).

The Flame in the Flood: https://superraregames.com/collections/products/products/srg-2-the-flame-in-the-flood-switch

Human Fall Flat: https://superraregames.com/collections/products/products/game-testing-2

Painfully expensive even for me, that converting to USD hurts.  There's a bundle with both that saves on shipping a bit... but even then it's still like $40 each. $20-30, sure... but $40 a pop is tough to swallow.  Probably end up passing on these since I can't say I'm dying to pay a premium for either game (though I have LRG's release of The Flame in the Flood on the PS4... probably just end up selling that to be honest, was a pure impulse purchase).

Human Fall Flat looks like a fun time though.  I'm still hoping it barely sells and people on eBay are forced to keep knocking the price down because of lack of interest, and I can grab it a bit cheaper. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

17 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Released last June and has unfortunately remained in Japan only. So no luck on finally getting an official English translation of SD3 yet.

Last I read, a producer on the Secret of Mana remake acknowledged right before its NA release that we wanted the collection too, but had nothing to announce ?

16 minutes ago, Zondares said:

Released last June and has unfortunately remained in Japan only. So no luck on finally getting an official English translation of SD3 yet.

Last I read, a producer on the Secret of Mana remake acknowledged right before its NA release that we wanted the collection too, but had nothing to announce 1f614.png

OOhhh okay my bad sorry i did not check it correctly. Ah it is a bummer i plan on getting a Switch before the end of the year so hopefully something will arise! 

Re: Hollow Knight

https://www.dualshockers.com/hollow-knight-switch-update/

Good news... they've hit their goal of achieving a steady 60fps in the Switch port.

Bad news... still not willing to commit on a release window.  Lots of bugs to iron out it seems.

On the plus side, it's nice to see them providing regular updates at least.  It'll come, and it'll be worth it.  It's just taking a while. xD

• Like 1

This little guy arrived in the mail today.

https://i.imgur.com/i9jnyWW.jpg

Since I saw physical copies of Lost Sphear were now readily available for North America on the Square-Enix webstore, I decided to look into I Am Setsuna since it was made by the same devs as Lost Sphear.  And frankly, I Am Setsuna always interested me more.  People say the game is heavy in snow and piano, and I happen to enjoy both of those things quite a bit. :)

The game works great.  Was really happy that despite being a Japanese import, the game automatically went to English.  Probably picked that up at the system level.  No blindly stumbling through menus or anything.

The purchase seemed a bit dicey though.  It was supposed to have an English cover.  When it arrived the case had one layer of factory sealing.  I took it off to find another layer of factory sealing, with the English cover art glued above the cellophane.  As I opened up this second layer, I found the original Japanese cover art actually in the case itself.  So now I had a case, one Japanese cover art and one English cover art with sticky stuff on the back of it.  The reverse side of the Japanese cover art had nice starry sky artwork while the English one had plain white... so I wanted to try and leverage the English front side and the Japanese reverse side.  Basically I placed the English cover art on top of the Japanese cover art, sticking them together with the glue residue from the back of the English one.

It was messy but it worked out nicely in the end, I think.  Though it was more wrestling with it than I expected/wanted to do. ?  Whose bright idea was it to include the English cover as a separate item and put glue on the back of it...

Game itself seems really nice too.  Only played a few minutes this evening, but I think it'll scratch an old school JRPG itch I didn't even know I had.  Probably save it for after I wrap up Zelda someday though.

Edited by Dreakon13

On 3/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, Dreakon13 said:

This little guy arrived in the mail today.

https://i.imgur.com/i9jnyWW.jpg

Since I saw physical copies of Lost Sphear were now readily available for North America on the Square-Enix webstore, I decided to look into I Am Setsuna since it was made by the same devs as Lost Sphear.  And frankly, I Am Setsuna always interested me more.  People say the game is heavy in snow and piano, and I happen to enjoy both of those things quite a bit. :)

The game works great.  Was really happy that despite being a Japanese import, the game automatically went to English.  Probably picked that up at the system level.  No blindly stumbling through menus or anything.

The purchase seemed a bit dicey though.  It was supposed to have an English cover.  When it arrived the case had one layer of factory sealing.  I took it off to find another layer of factory sealing, with the English cover art glued above the cellophane.  As I opened up this second layer, I found the original Japanese cover art actually in the case itself.  So now I had a case, one Japanese cover art and one English cover art with sticky stuff on the back of it.  The reverse side of the Japanese cover art had nice starry sky artwork while the English one had plain white... so I wanted to try and leverage the English front side and the Japanese reverse side.  Basically I placed the English cover art on top of the Japanese cover art, sticking them together with the glue residue from the back of the English one.

It was messy but it worked out nicely in the end, I think.  Though it was more wrestling with it than I expected/wanted to do. 1f605.png  Whose bright idea was it to include the English cover as a separate item and put glue on the back of it...

Game itself seems really nice too.  Only played a few minutes this evening, but I think it'll scratch an old school JRPG itch I didn't even know I had.  Probably save it for after I wrap up Zelda someday though.

I do hope you like it. I did not.

38 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I do hope you like it. I did not.

Well, that's a shame.  Seems like a nice game so far, but it sounds like the snowy setting and somber piano music gets awfully repetitive.  Otherwise it's a quaint but relatively fresh take on the JRPG genre (versus their follow up in Lost Sphear which I hear is more by-the-numbers).

Considering I find most games woefully repetitive lately (since 'hours played' is the bar many gamers choose to benchmark with these days and developers know it, silly as I find that)... repetition doesn't really phase me anymore.  I just have to hope the repetitive games I do choose to play are personally redeemable enough in other areas to get me through the story.  It doesn't sound like I Am Setsuna is a particularly long game (compared to other JRPG's)... so at least it has that going for it. ;)

EDIT: The adventure of getting my nice physical copy of the game looking the way I wanted, was a bit of excitement in and of itself too. :P

Edited by Dreakon13

10 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Well, that's a shame.  Seems like a nice game so far, but it sounds like the snowy setting and somber piano music gets awfully repetitive.  Otherwise it's a quaint but relatively fresh take on the JRPG genre (versus their follow up in Lost Sphear which I hear is more by-the-numbers).

Considering I find most games woefully repetitive lately (since 'hours played' is the bar many gamers choose to benchmark with these days and developers know it, silly as I find that)... repetition doesn't really phase me anymore.  I just have to hope the repetitive games I do choose to play are personally redeemable enough in other areas to get me through the story.  It doesn't sound like I Am Setsuna is a particularly long game (compared to other JRPG's)... so at least it has that going for it. ;)

EDIT: The adventure of getting my nice physical copy of the game looking the way I wanted, was a bit of excitement in and of itself too. :P

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, except I got Setsuna digitally. I haven't started it yet. I did try the Lost Sphear demo and found it to be too clunky for my tastes. It seemed like it was trying too hard to be like SNES-era Final Fantasy games, and the slow animations annoyed me. There's a reason games get quality of life improvements. Trying that demo after I had already purchased (but not started) Setsuna made me concerned I'll encounter the same issues there. Hopefully that won't be the case.

I also agree about gameplay length. I made this argument over a decade ago when PC gamers were complaining about games being too short. At the time I said "give me a shorter experience over gameplay padding any day" and I stand by that.