Kill Your Completion v3. 0

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

It can still be completed fairly quickly if you know what you're doing, though truth be told I had a weekend within those three days.

Well, we'll see how much progress I can make between today and tomorrow. One thing about me is, I shift into another gear when I start to clean up a game. For whatever reason, I pace myself more when going through the story. But once that's over, I go bearzerk to finish things up. :P 

I'm already out of likes. :/ I didn't even make it to the "Most Recent Platinum" and "Post the last trophy you earned" threads today. 25 is so not enough.. 

Edit: 1,000th post! rank-up-o.gif

Edited by DamagingRob
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

I'm currently debating whether or not to buy Terraria from the current weekly sale. It looks interesting but I can't decide if it will be something I'll absolutely love or hate.

First your backlog, then more sales!

You must have a big backlog, especially when including PS+. When in doubt, pass and go to town on your backlog first.

1 hour ago, xFalionx said:

Don't listen to that doofus @BillyHorrible, there's a reason why I have 524 hours on this game on steam and even more beyond that before it got released on steam.

I think we demonstrated today and yesterday that not everyone likes the same games :)

Yeah, I'm not into Terraria at all. Furthermore, I feel like if anyone's in doubt about buying a new game, they should first take a look at their backlogs.

1 hour ago, FFHannibal said:

What's the average length people are willing to read for a 'review'? I covered my impressions of my first 30 minutes and I've got like 600 words... :hmm:

Sigh, if only writing my thesis was that easy.

Depends on how much pictures you use, how well you write and what game you're writing about :)

For instance, I'm not going to bother with Falion's wall of text on Terraria xD but if someone would write that much about Super Star Wars...

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think we demonstrated today and yesterday that not everyone likes the same games :)

Yeah, I'm not into Terraria at all. Furthermore, I feel like if anyone's in doubt about buying a new game, they should first take a look at their backlogs.

Yeah, but this is Terraria we're talking about. It's the one game besides Skyrim that I'd actually say everyone should have at least tried within their lifetime. Also, it's on sale rather often so you can usually get it for pretty cheap when you're looking at the right time. It's also one of the few games that still release new content patches for free. They're even bigger than you standard DLC. :P 

But if it weren't Terraria we're talking about then I'd say pretty much the same. Backlog first, then go looking for new games. ^_^ 

23 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Depends on how much pictured you use,how well you write and what game you're writing about :)

For instance, I'm not going to bother with Falion's wall of text on Terraria xD but if someone would write that much about Super Star Wars...

Huh, that's weird. For example I wouldn't bother with a Super Star Wars wall of text, while I'd be glad to read someones Terraria appreciation. :awesome:

First your backlog, then more sales!

You must have a big backlog, especially when including PS+. When in doubt, pass and go to town on your backlog first.

Guess it depends on what you consider big. Mine doesn't compare to some people on here who have ridiculous backlogs. At one point, I had it down to less than 20 games but it has exploded recently. After buying Unravel (that should make you happy :)) from this sale, my backlog is now back up to over 60 games that I own and well over 100 when you include all of the PS+ games. Luckily (maybe :dunno:) I've only been a PS+ member for a little over a year so that part of my backlog isn't crazy yet. 

You do realize that the fact that you don't recommend the game actually counts as a positive and makes it more appealing, right? :P 

41 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Huh, sometimes I surprise myself with how much text I can crank out on some topics. I could continue this for another while but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to tell you. :P 

Thanks for all the info. I do the same thing when it comes to long posts. Sometimes feel like I can ramble on and end up with a wall of text that nobody will bother reading. I appreciate it though and the info will help with my decision. I'll probably use your thoughts, watch some gameplay videos, then decide at the last second before the sale ends. 

Glad you brought up the Minecraft comparison and differences. I kept hearing that comparison but that kind of turned me off because I've never played Minecraft and what I've seen doesn't really interest me at all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

Guess it depends on what you consider big. Mine doesn't compare to some people on here who have ridiculous backlogs. At one point, I had it down to less than 20 games but it has exploded recently. After buying Unravel (that should make you happy :)) from this sale, my backlog is now back up to over 60 games that I own and well over 100 when you include all of the PS+ games. Luckily (maybe :dunno:) I've only been a PS+ member for a little over a year so that part of my backlog isn't crazy yet. 

Yes, you buying Terraria makes me happy. Those numbers sound like you could do with a round of backlog focus, to be honest.

You do realize that the fact that you don't recommend the game actually counts as a positive and makes it more appealing, right? :P 

I do. That you like games I don't like doesn't mean you'll like any game I don't like though. Care to try TorqueL?

My main point was your backlog, I just wanted to be devil's advocate once Falion started saying that everybody should have tried Terraria.

Glad you brought up the Minecraft comparison and differences. I kept hearing that comparison but that kind of turned me off because I've never played Minecraft and what I've seen doesn't really interest me at all. 

Exactly why I don't need to try Terraria. I tried Minecraft once, damn was it boring.

24 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

At one point, I had it down to less than 20 games but it has exploded recently. 

Mine isn't nearly as bad as many people. If I cut out all the free ps4. And Vita games I've probably got less than 40 games total unstarted. Maybe 10-15 I started and will or might play again. 

Also @xFalionxthanks for the clarification between games.  Like Stalker I avoided Terraria thinking they were much closer. However, my son who loves Legos recently asked me to download the demo version for minecraft, so I got the demo for both of them. :D He's absolutely in love with both games so I'm waiting on MInecraft to go on sale for him, and I picked up Terraria for both of us. I've been playing a bit of MC with him and it's actually pretty fun so far. :dunno:

18 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Exactly why I don't need to try Terraria. I tried Minecraft once, damn was it boring.

This really surprises me with your love of Legos. 

11 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Yeah I love building actual LEGO and it's nice that the LEGO games gave me and the wife something to play during my non-Nintendo years (damn there's little for us to play together on X360 and PS4).

Doesn't mean I'll like LEGO Worlds once it's released.

I don't really like these resources building/collecting games. I'm ignoring the alchemy/crafting substuff in Witcher, I was annoyed that resource mining was mandatory in No Man's Sky if I wanted to explore and Minecraft almost put me in a coma, I quickly had to play some Just Cause afterwards.

LEGO Worlds has the potential to warm me up to the genre because it's LEGO but other than that, I don't really care.

Yeah, I'm not into Terraria at all. Furthermore, I feel like if anyone's in doubt about buying a new game, they should first take a look at their backlogs

You blame people for not liking Zelda games but don't like Terraria. Like Zelda, Terraria is a great game :P

43 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

In my opinion Minecraft focuses on the build your own city/realm/whatever part where Terraria focuses on the advancement of the game. Beat a boss, get better weapons/armor and prepare for the next boss. I usally don't really build in Terraria, only the house you need for all the NPCs and thats normally a square. Whereas in Minecraft I try to improve on my building style and experiment with different styles.

12 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Mine isn't nearly as bad as many people. If I cut out all the free ps4. And Vita games I've probably got less than 40 games total unstarted. Maybe 10-15 I started and will or might play again. 

Also @xFalionxthanks for the clarification between games.  Like Stalker I avoided Terraria thinking they were much closer. However, my son who loves Legos recently asked me to download the demo version for minecraft, so I got the demo for both of them. :D He's absolutely in love with both games so I'm waiting on MInecraft to go on sale for him, and I picked up Terraria for both of us. I've been playing a bit of MC with him and it's actually pretty fun so far. :dunno:

If possible you should buy Minecraft on PC as it is much better in my opinion. But that may be only because I played it there first and didn't like the controlls at all on consoles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

If possible you should buy Minecraft on PC as it is much better in my opinion. But that may be only because I played it there first and didn't like the controlls at all on consoles.

I really don't game on pc at all. Also, using a ps system makes it way easier for me or my daughter to drop in and out of my son's game at any time. 

Lastly, how am I supposed to know what to do without trophies to tell me where to go? :jaymon:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

You blame people for not liking Zelda games but don't like Terraria. Like Zelda, Terraria is a great game :P

Don't know if I shared it here but in general I don't care for current day 16bit games. There are enough exceptions (Fez, Super Meat Boy, Stealth Inc.) but many more I can't stand.

Also, I don't think Terraria is as universally known and loved as Zelda. That's like saying "You pick on me for not liking Rome but you don't like Pompeii yourself" - sure, both have their fans but it's a completely different scale and ballpark.

36 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

Thanks for all the info. I do the same thing when it comes to long posts. Sometimes feel like I can ramble on and end up with a wall of text that nobody will bother reading. I appreciate it though and the info will help with my decision. I'll probably use your thoughts, watch some gameplay videos, then decide at the last second before the sale ends. 

No need to thank me, just doing my deeds. :P You should definitely watch some gameplay. Maybe something from one of the early boss fights like the eater of worlds, which is technically the second boss in the game and, while not nearly as mechanically complex as the late-game bosses, still pretty fun to watch.

More to the Minecraft thing below.

24 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That's exactly what you're doing wrong, look below to find out why. (clickbait +1 ^_^)

6 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Yeah, I'm also really surprised that Billy doesn't like the building aspect of minecraft.

Anyways, what I'm mostly here for is to tell you the following.

I've played Minecraft maybe more, maybe less but somewhere around the same amount of time that I've played Terraria. hell, I even play it now from time to time and build anime stuff with friends. Recently we built this ship, the Oro Jackson, from One Piece for example:

Spoiler

800px-10.jpg

Terraria shares a single aspect with Minecraft, which is the building aspect. But here's what separates the games from one another. Minecraft has a focus on building, while Terraria has a focus on combat and exploration. Minecraft started as the thing we now know as creative mode where you could build whatever you wanted with digital LEGOs, they later began expanding their game and adding combat elements as well as the need to collect blocks before you could build them. The important part is that combat in Minecraft is incredibly simple, even with the relatively new combat focused update it's still pretty boring. The building focus in Minecraft also becomes apparent when you look at the combat gear and tool upgrades. Getting to the highest tier of these, diamond, is really easy and manageable in a few hours. That's so you can focus on building your base as you want it to look as soon as possible, making combat an afterthought. Boss battles in Minecraft aren't impressive either. They're more or less normal monsters with more health which behave a little differently than the normal monster AI.

Terraria has a focus on combat and exploration. The only building you ever need to do is setting up a small base to store items and keep monsters from mauling you at night. After that you can set up additional living room for the multitude of NPCs to live in, but other than that building is an afterthought. Of course you can still use it to your advantage to traverse the landscape and create arenas better suited to fighting bosses. You could also make your world look pretty if you're into that, but that's not the focus of the game.

The combat in Terraria is really fun, skill based, and diversified because each weapon that you find or craft throughout your Journey behaves differently. You'll have to equip your character with fitting accessories for the area you plan to explore next and react to the bosses patterns to succeed. Some bosses later on are really damn hard and required to beat to move on to your next upgrades for your armory, so you can't really cheese your way through the game by mining eternally. If you're good enough at the game, you could even manage to beat the first stage of the game without mining at all. I've seen some scary speed runs.

Overall Terraria offers a lot more actual content to play with than Minecraft, while Minecraft lets you make use of your creativity to create your own content within the game world.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

I really don't game on pc at all. Also, using a ps system makes it way easier for me or my daughter to drop in and out of my son's game at any time. 

Lastly, how am I supposed to know what to do without trophies to tell me where to go? :jaymon:

With Steam achievements maybe? :dunno:

27 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Recently we built this ship, the Oro Jackson, from One Piece for example:

I felt like I had to post some proof about that, so I started up the server real quick. :P Since, that one was right around the corner, here's also a pic of our version of the Going Merry with most of the crew aboard. ^_^ 

Spoiler

ydj53kH.png

pzWK1xz.png

qeYsnxB.png

30aA5kL.png

Anyways, now my last TorqueL trophy popped and my completion rose another 0.06%. I guess I'll go into a corner and continue watching GT while feeling guilty about finishing my game. T.T

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I felt like I had to post some proof about that, so I started up the server real quick. :P Since, that one was right around the corner, here's also a pic of our version of the Going Merry with most of the crew aboard. ^_^ 

Hide contents

ydj53kH.png

pzWK1xz.png

qeYsnxB.png

30aA5kL.png

Anyways, now my last TorqueL trophy popped and my completion rose another 0.06%. I guess I'll go into a corner and continue watching GT while feeling guilty about finishing my game. T.T

Pretty sweet Going Merry. Is there any chance that your crew has built or will build the Going Luffy-senpai?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mendant909 said:

Pretty sweet Going Merry. Is there any chance that your crew has built or will build the Going Luffy-senpai?

Not yet, but that's a neat idea. I think I'll suggest that the next time we get into the mood for building ships (which might take a while since ships are pretty annoying to build).

The Ruffy figurehead might end up looking weird though, depending on the scale of the ship.

• Like 1

About another hour of puttering away at TorqueL. Getting better at the controls but a long way from getting that sub 10 minute run, barely getting through the first 14 default stages before the route specific levels in 10 minutes. We'll see as things go.

Now 4/13 trophies after about 3 hrs playtime. Enjoying it but can't really marathon it, I'm just not good enough with the controls. I find doing a few levels then taking a break keeps me more relaxed when playing than getting annoyed with myself for hitting the wrong button too often.

• Like 4