Kill Your Completion v3. 0

I like the Lite KYC version but I really need to plat the 10 games I started during the previous event. :) 

Since a lot of people talked about how burnt-out they were feeling after reaching the middle of the event, wouldn't it be better to do the Lite version in July instead of next month? (5 games / 6 days?)

• Like 2

I'd be up for a lite version in May and could do some of the games I had planned for this event.

@xFalionx - I'd recommend Tales of Hearts R.  It's the easiest plat of the franchise, has a solid plotline, great characters, a fun and easy to learn battle system, and it's also the shortest to beat.  The only thing that might put someone off is that it's not dubbed like the rest of the games are, but I feel it's a great intro to all the awesome stuff about the series and it's so easy to learn that it's a good one for a beginner.  It's also what I feel is the overlooked gem of the series because it failed to get popularity due to being a Vita exclusive.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

@xFalionx, I would definitely recommend Hearts R, but I've heard many, many times that Xillia 1 is a good place to start for beginners. The battle system is very easy and understandable, BUT Hearts R's battle system is way more fun. I also enjoyed Graces F, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. 

• Like 1

@ladynadiad, @Edunstar84,

That's interesting. I personally prefer my RPGs to be long because I haven't got that much money to throw around, so a long game will last me longer in that regard. I guess the main thing I like about RPGs are the story and characters of said story, so that's a plus. Also, since I tend to enjoy media in its original language, no dub is absolutely not a problem for me. The opposite actually, since some games have forced dubs which don't include the original dub via an option in the settings.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Also @The ToX discussion, it's pretty funny this sprung up because I wanted to get myself one of the Tales of games from the current sale to try out the franchise. Currently on sale are Hearts R, Graces f, Xilia, Symphonia, and Zestiria iirc. From what I read online, Vesperia which didn't get a western PS3 release, would be the best one to try the franchise but I'm not gonna pay 40€ for an import right now, so currently I'm considering Xilia as the one to get. I'd love to hear you people's thoughts on that. ^_^ 

Already gave a short opinion about some games in your backlog-thread but I would say you can either start with Xillia or Hearts. Both are relative easy when it comes for the trophy requirements and they only require 2 playthroughs to get everything required (like most Tales-games), but still they are rather fast to accomplish. One big exception is far as I know Symphonia which requires at least 4 according to some guides.

Personally I didn't like the cast of Hearts that much and prefered the battle system of Xillia but it may be wiser to choose Hearts as a starting point. Main reason IMO would be the technical department. Most of the Tales-games have a rather mediocre look but Hearts is a remake of a DS-game and has some rather sloppy animations  compared to the other games which look even weirder if you play any of the other more recent games (Graces, Xillia, Zestiria) first.

EDIT: Before I forget.

If you play Hearts R, it's best to change the game's language to english as the german translation has a rather huge amount of spelling mistakes and grammar errors which annoyed me during my playthrough.

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

@ladynadiad, @Edunstar84,

That's interesting. I personally prefer my RPGs to be long because I haven't got that much money to throw around, so a long game will last me longer in that regard. I guess the main thing I like about RPGs are the story and characters of said story, so that's a plus. Also, since I tend to enjoy media in its original language, no dub is absolutely not a problem for me. The opposite actually, since some games have forced dubs which don't include the original dub via an option in the settings.

Hearts R is still a reasonably meaty game at about 30 hours to beat.  The thing is that the other games tend to end up with filler by having you backtrack to areas and Hearts R is the only one that doesn't do this, so it ends up a bit shorter, but the other games that are a big longer have some spot where it will feel tedious because the plot forces you to backtrack.  I honestly feel it ends up better by having a somewhat shorter plot and keeping the filler out rather than trying to make it longer in such a lazy manner like some of the other games do.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Hearts R is still a reasonably meaty game at about 30 hours to beat.  The thing is that the other games tend to end up with filler by having you backtrack to areas and Hearts R is the only one that doesn't do this, so it ends up a bit shorter, but the other games that are a big longer have some spot where it will feel tedious because the plot forces you to backtrack.  I honestly feel it ends up better by having a somewhat shorter plot and keeping the filler out rather than trying to make it longer in such a lazy manner like some of the other games do.

Ah, that's something different then. In that case I'd rather want to have it be 30 hours instead of artificially increasing that. When you were referring to the length before, I thought it was more of a difference between a 20 hour game and an 80 hour game or something like that. 

Edit:

Well, by now all of you've managed to make me lean towards Hearts for now. Let's see if someone else wants to vouch for one of the other games though. :D 

24 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

EDIT: Before I forget.

If you play Hearts R, it's best to change the game's language to english as the german translation has a rather huge amount of spelling mistakes and grammar errors which annoyed me during my playthrough.

I've got all of my systems set to English by default as I tend to play games dubbed in their original languages (which happens to be English for the most part ^_^), so that shouldn't pose any sort of trouble unless it's caused by the German PSN store, thanks for mentioning that though. :) 

Edited by xFalionx

9 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I've got all of my systems set to English by default as I tend to play games dubbed in their original languages (which happens to be English for the most part ^_^),

As long as you play Deponia in German (as soon as you can play it on a PS4) everything's fine to me, but luckily that doesn't collide with your defaults so everything should be good. :P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Completely off topic : am seriously debating running a KYC Lite edition next month. Would feature either 5 games at 6 days each or 6 games 5 days. I know a lot of regular participants will be scrambling to play their most recent peofile additions, so this is more for some of the lurkers who have been hesitant to take the final plunge. Thoughts or suggestions? 

I think it's a great idea on a lot of fronts. I don't think I would participate in may because of my kyc3 games still hanging over my head, but it's a great idea and could bridge the two events. 

It looks like perry, Billy and I probably wouldn't be able to do a new July kyc event. I personally have a wedding out of town and a vacation that month so maybe offer the ability to do a kyc lite in July as well for those who want to participate but wouldn't be able to give the event the full attention?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Now for my final rankings list, and I feel that I need a more fine-tuned rating system than the :platinum: > :gold: > :silver: > :bronze: > :hidden: that we used in the reviews. I'm going to use a scale that goes like this here: :platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum: > :platinum: > :gold::gold::gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold::gold::gold:... and so on down to a single :hidden: . Giving Assassin's Creed II a Gold/Silver rating instead of picking one or the other felt like a bit of a cop-out, but with this more granular scale I'm going to bump it up to a single gold. There's also the problem of what to do about Gravity Rush, as I didn't give it a rating originally, but now that I have 9 other games to compare it to, I'd say that my enjoyment of it ranked somewhere in between AC2 and The Golf Club.

1. Resogun :platinum::platinum::platinum:
2. Dead Space :platinum::platinum:
3. Split/Second :gold::gold::gold::gold:
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse :gold:
5. Assassin's Creed II :gold:
6. Gravity Rush Remastered :silver::silver::silver::silver::silver:
7. The Golf Club :silver::silver::silver::silver:
8. Mad Max :silver::silver::silver:
9. Tomb Raider: Legend :silver:
10. Prototype :bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze:

Congrats, you've made a mathematician confused about your rating scale!

So, do I have to see this as a basic 25 point scale system or is something else going on?

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Congrats, you've made a mathematician confused about your rating scale!

So, do I have to see this as a basic 25 point scale system or is something else going on?

Sorry for confusing you - maybe writing posts at 3 a.m. isn't such a good idea!

It's a 25 point scale where the rank of the trophy icons matters more than the number of them (for example, 1 gold is a better rating than 5 silvers). Maybe I should have posted the full scale; it goes like this, from best to worst:

:platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum: > :platinum: > :gold::gold::gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold: > :gold: > :silver::silver::silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver: > :silver: > :bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze: > :bronze: > :hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden: > :hidden:

Here are the ratings of my 10 games, put into words:

1. Resogun Mid Platinum
2. Dead Space Mid to Low Platinum
3. Split/Second Mid to High Gold
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse Low Gold
5. Assassin's Creed II Low Gold
6. Gravity Rush Remastered High Silver
7. The Golf Club Mid to High Silver
8. Mad Max Mid Silver
9. Tomb Raider: Legend Low Silver
10. Prototype Mid to High Bronze

Edited by Melanogaster1987
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Myu said:

I need my completion rate back - Update 5

220739951.png

1806311204.jpg

Finally!!! Finally! 

After 58 hours of playtime, Fairy Fencer f is platted! I took me 25 hours of grinding to get those last two trophies and they are not even gold! :yay:

Congrats! In many games, there always seems to be one elusive bronze trophy that you have to grind on ad nauseum before earning the coveted platinum. 

1 hour ago, Melanogaster1987 said:

Sorry for confusing you - maybe writing posts at 3 a.m. isn't such a good idea!

It's a 25 point scale where the rank of the trophy icons matters more than the number of them (for example, 1 gold is a better rating than 5 silvers). Maybe I should have posted the full scale; it goes like this, from best to worst:

:platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum::platinum: > :platinum::platinum: > :platinum: > :gold::gold::gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold::gold: > :gold::gold: > :gold: > :silver::silver::silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver::silver: > :silver::silver: > :silver: > :bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze::bronze: > :bronze::bronze: > :bronze: > :hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden::hidden: > :hidden::hidden: > :hidden:

Here are the ratings of my 10 games, put into words:

1. Resogun Mid Platinum
2. Dead Space Mid to Low Platinum
3. Split/Second Mid to High Gold
4. Magrunner: Dark Pulse Low Gold
5. Assassin's Creed II Low Gold
6. Gravity Rush Remastered High Silver
7. The Golf Club Mid to High Silver
8. Mad Max Mid Silver
9. Tomb Raider: Legend Low Silver
10. Prototype Mid to High Bronze

I liked your scale. I'm finishing up Life is Strange this week. On your scale, it's coming in as a :platinum::platinum:

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Congrats! In many games, there always seems to be one elusive bronze trophy that you have to grind on ad nauseum before earning the coveted platinum. 

THIS. EXACTLY. 

And thank you! :D 

• Like 3

I went back to playing Wanted: Weapons of Fate. Wrapped up the 3 remaining Acts and nothing changed from my original assessment. It's not good game. I'll probably try to push through the story on killer difficulty and clean up the few random trophies that are still missing for the plat. Since the Acts are fairly short, it's easy enough to pick up and play after work. Not sure why, but I kind of expected more of this game.I'll be dedicating my weekends to Destroy All Humans, which is vastly superior and more fun than Wanted was.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I went back to playing Wanted: Weapons of Fate. Wrapped up the 3 remaining Acts and nothing changed from my original assessment. It's not good game. I'll probably try to push through the story on killer difficulty and clean up the few random trophies that are still missing for the plat. Since the Acts are fairly short, it's easy enough to pick up and play after work. Not sure why, but I kind of expected more of this game.I'll be dedicating my weekends to Destroy All Humans, which is vastly superior and more fun than Wanted was.

Enjoyed Wanted, myself. The curving bullets mechanic was pretty neat. And for a movie tie-in game(which are almost always shit), I felt this was pretty decent.

Wrapped up Shadow of Mordor. Both DLCs felt pretty similar to the main game, and I enjoyed them. One has you playing as Talion, and the other as Celebrimbor.

The one with Talion has you teaming up with the dwarf, Torvin, once again. And hunting various creatures/controlling them in missions. Fun stuff. Dumb final trophy, though.. 

The one with Calebrimbor introduces a new mechanic, where branding enemies charges the One Ring. Once charged, you can activate it and spam special attacks over and over. Nice finale at the end. And the last trophy for this one isn't nearly as annoying. 

Both trophies I refer to, are for completing these tests in a certain amount of time. You have to take care of all War Chiefs and Captains, and in a certain way for required bonuses. Only problem with the first one is, they give you 20 minutes less than the second, making the time constraint very tough. Only trophy keeping me from 100%, for the time being.

Edited by DamagingRob
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

Enjoyed Wanted, myself. The curving bullets mechanic was pretty neat. And for a movie tie-in game(which are almost always shit), I felt this was pretty decent.

I liked the movie a lot more than I did the game.

The game feels too simplistic overall. Essentially you stay in cover and pick out the enemies. The runners with knives are just a nuisance and bring nothing to the game, and the turret sections are terrible  Even though the curving bullets is an interesting mechanic, it often is awful to aim with. It happened way too often that suddenly it would aim towards the ceiling or somewhere else it shouldn't. The one cool thing was the sliding over obstacles (not original though), and in this game you still end up eating bullets while doing it, which kind of sucks.

• Like 1