Kill Your Completion v3. 0

I'm going to be late again with my reviews. I somehow didn't get around to playing Alpha Protocol on the first day, played an hour on the second day and was home for about 30 minutes on the third day. Alpha Protocol deserves better than that -_-. It's a great game though and I wondered why so little people play(ed) it. My first thought was that it probably released around Mass Effect time and more people got into that (I still need to play my PC copies of those before I even consider buying PS3 ones (or can we get a trilogy PS4 remaster...?)). Apparently Alpha Protocol was released in 2010 though alongside Mass Effect 2, so you can guess how the game looks and feels when I linked it to a game made three years prior.

6 hours ago, Myu said:

Ar Nosurge : Ode to an Unborn Star

After a bad experience with Ar Tonelico Qoga, I was afraid to start this one and witness another failure. Ar Nosurge is not my favourite game of the series but it's still a good game with a nice story and I want to know how it ends.

I remember playing one Ar game after reading a Let's Play of the original and the story and characters were sort of fun. After experiencing the Dive system once I got creeped out and avoid the games from now on, but I am glad you enjoyed this. :)

6 hours ago, Myu said:

The Guided Fate Paradox

Just like the Awakened Fate Ultimatum, but way more complicated. The story started okay but lost its potential along the way. There are traps everywhere on each floor, it's very easy to die right before reaching the last floor. And I still don't know how the weapon/equipment enhancing system works.

I tried this game, didn't like it at all. If the original Disgaea should have taught me anything, it's that Nippon Ichi distributions are always insane Gordian Knots of gameplay mechanics. :P I appreciate them trying the Rogue genre, but it didn't work for me. I was willing to give the sequel a try until your review discouraged that. Let me stick with KH Birth by Sleep and Disgaea 5. ;)

Then again, any company has black sheep, sad that this series(and the one that inspired it, which was about a kid who was forced to inherit a superhero's legacy and fight the archvillain ASAP, dies, and gets respawned and constantly has to refight the supervillain - who shows up in Disgaea D2 as a cameo boss - after solving people's nightmares in a mirror world to grow stronger) was it. :(

6 hours ago, Myu said:

Using the PS move was a nice change of pace.

No thanks. I already broke my wrists (j/k) trying to play Skyward Sword on the Nintendo Wii. I am not shelling out $40 for a controller clone. xD

Edited by NebbyLunala

9 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

It's a great game though and I wondered why so little people play(ed) it. My first thought was that it probably released around Mass Effect time and more people got into that (I still need to play my PC copies of those before I even consider buying PS3 ones (or can we get a trilogy PS4 remaster...?)).

It was pretty much a poor man's Mass Effect. Which doesn't make it a bad game, but most would probably say Mass Effect is better. So, why not just buy the better game? But I played it on the 360, and highly enjoyed it. It's another like Binary Domain, where it didn't get stellar review scores, and probably got lost in the shuffle.. 

• Like 1

L451df9.png

Well, I just completely messed up my save on This War Of Mine.

Had one terminally ill guy, made another guy steal from the hospital, suddenly everyone's broken. I've started a day where everyone refused to move... After that it was all done for, tried to keep going but I had nobody to go on runs anymore, so left, dead, dead, left.

Luckily, I turned off auto upload so I could try once more before I give up and create an easier playthrough. The misery of these people is a game to me, let's go again! Trophies! Fun!

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Hemiak said:

Whelp it's the 31st, so technically the event is over. However since it's still March I'm going to declare overtime. If you need one more day to out more time into any one of your games, or you just want to get back to one feel free. I got absolutely no game time yesterday so I'll hopefully get more Xillia and more Babel time tonight. 

Your benevolent dictator has spoken, go forth and play more games

In that case I got the platinum for Bully in time for the event ;)

That makes 4 out of 10 games finished, not bad I'd say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

X-Com failed to DL, so I will have another game in spot 10.

That's unfortunate. XCOM was one of my favourite PS3 games and I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

16 hours ago, NebbyLunala said:

I remember playing one Ar game after reading a Let's Play of the original and the story and characters were sort of fun. After experiencing the Dive system once I got creeped out and avoid the games from now on, but I am glad you enjoyed this. :)

I tried this game, didn't like it at all. If the original Disgaea should have taught me anything, it's that Nippon Ichi distributions are always insane Gordian Knots of gameplay mechanics. :P I appreciate them trying the Rogue genre, but it didn't work for me. I was willing to give the sequel a try until your review discouraged that. Let me stick with KH Birth by Sleep and Disgaea 5. ;)

Then again, any company has black sheep, sad that this series(and the one that inspired it, which was about a kid who was forced to inherit a superhero's legacy and fight the archvillain ASAP, dies, and gets respawned and constantly has to refight the supervillain - who shows up in Disgaea D2 as a cameo boss - after solving people's nightmares in a mirror world to grow stronger) was it. :(

No thanks. I already broke my wrists (j/k) trying to play Skyward Sword on the Nintendo Wii. I am not shelling out $40 for a controller clone. xD

What I love the most in the Ar franchise is the music. It was so innovative at the time to have background music with singing voices. I love how people are now fawning over Nier : Automata's music. When I hear it, the first thing I think is that it reminds me of Ar Tonelico and Atelier Iris on PS2. (Nier Automata's music IS amazing, I'm not denying that). 

The Dive system is weird at first but you eventually get used to it. Some cosmospheres are actually pretty interesting, especially when you get to the lower layers and it gets pretty fucked up (like in most people's minds I suppose). The thing I don't like is all those not-so-subtle Dive = sex comparisons. 

I don't know how NIS (and Compile Heart, and IF) managed to create games as fantastic as Disgaea, The Witch and the Hundred Knight, Ar Tonelico and Atelier and then release things like The Guided Fate Paradox. It's pretty much hit-or-miss with them.

Book of Spells is so slow-paced that you don't really have to move. :P 

On 3/30/2017 at 6:08 PM, xFalionx said:

I wanted to play this ever since I saw some videos about the game on Youtube, your review pretty much sold me on this now. :D 

Now I'll only need to find out where to pick up such an underrated gem for a decent price.

Also, you should become author, you've got some real talent for writing. ^_^ 

Oh man, you're so generous, thank you! Seriously :). That's a hell of a compliment for me, I bow before thee! On a side note - I work as an editor, own a small publishing house and just became an author (kids' books, but nonetheless!). So your comment was spot on :).

About Warband - I bought it for 120 zlotys, it's around 30$. It's a game that is underrated AND underpriced. Trust me, it's worth every penny, when your role model is this guy:

latest?cb=20121123224529

Edited by zettlock
  • Like 3