I have joined the Vita family!

ShonenCat

@EmeraldLeviathan So instead of using an internet connection for remote play, I can use a local connection instead? I'll have to give that a spin!

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Compatibility with PSP is high and PS1 games are amazing and all, but a Vita owner has to play Vita games as well (: Also, I could imagine it being difficult not having the second analog stick or the ability to map L2/R2/L3/R3 to a touch screen and/or touch pad o: Don't know much about the PSP so I might not have a full understanding on how far it's costumization goes. 

@K_Groove_NL Thank you for the warm welcome! I'll be sure to check out your list of games!

@DarkSoleride The Metal Slime edition is very gorgeous! I had my eyes on a Hatsune Miku edition a while back, only to realize how expensive it is now o.o I'd never be able to afford it. I browse Ebay often, I'll keep me eye out for a bigger memory card ;)

pa.222033.4.jpg?o2pdf9

@Spaz Uncharted Golden Abyss is on my to buy list so I'm sure to get some enjoyment out of Severed as well! 

@Satoshi Ookami One of my local GameStops still has a Vita section with a poster above it's small shelf of games referring to it as the ultimate companion to the PS4. That whole "Vita advertised as a PS4 accessory" seems true xD

@Kishnabe I could wait a bit longer for Drive Girls, but it's hard to resist. I say I should get it while the getting is good x3

@chellesan Thank you for the welcome! The recommendations have been top notch so far and I don't doubt that Vita Island is the place to be ^o^

@Z1MZUM I know as soon as I get my hands on Persona 4, it'll be hard for me to put down as well. As you say, I am very happy with both my purchase and that I found many welcoming Vita owners as well!

@Gommes_ Thank you, sir! I wish Sony would see the appeal in their creation like the rest of us do o.o I mentioned in an earlier post that I have some visual novels I'm already excited for xD I do need a bigger memory card, but for now I'm going to limit myself to PS1 games and try my best to find physical copies of the Vita games I want.

@RainyDusk This is the first time I've heard of this motion blur issue. I suppose it's nothing to worry about considering I have an original model :D I know that nostalgic feeling very well and it seems you enjoy your share of PS1 titles just as I do. The Vita is an amazing way to experience lots of these classics! It has been getting colder recently so now is a good time to stay warm and play them all!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy Compatibility with PSP is high and PS1 games are amazing and all, but a Vita owner has to play Vita games as well (: Also, I could imagine it being difficult not having the second analog stick or the ability to map L2/R2/L3/R3 to a touch screen and/or touch pad o: Don't know much about the PSP so I might not have a full understanding on how far it's costumization goes. 

Oh nah, I'm just joking really. I mean, if you did want a PS1 portable, that can also emulate almost every console that released before it adequately, and has it's own library of hundreds/thousands of games, PSP is still worth a whirl, even today. 

I'm mostly replying to talk about the button mapping for PS1 games. There's a few options, presets and all that, but you can edit it to be whatever you want. You want Circle to be the Start button? Go right ahead. What I usually do is map movement to the joy stick, then L2 and R2 (or L1 and R1, depending on the game) to the left and right directional buttons. 10 years ago, it was pretty freakin' sweet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 5:38 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

^

This guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to Vita. 

He was generous enough to give me his PS TV :)

(Still need to give you something in exchange... :/)

You don't need to give me anything in return, I just hope you're enjoying it.

So 4 weeks of Vita play for me on a ship, I actually am enjoying Natural Doctrine, bought Tokyo Xanadu at Gamestop on Sunset strip for $29 and that's been great. Have made it to inferno difficulty on Dragons Crown, past many levels on Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus and finally given Muramasa Rebirth a chance and loving it. The content of these games are quite amazing given the small game cartridges, I took about nine games and only had time to play about 4.

Glad to be home, glad you like the Vita.

• Like 1

Welcome to Vita Island!

I have been playing my Vita on my way to work every single day for the past 3 years, and I'm still in love with my little travel companion! :)

I find it's the best way to play most indie games, as well as Japanese-developed games. 

All suggestions by previous posters are great (at least those I've played)! Give them a go!

Some "new" suggestions: 

- Hatsune Miku Project Diva games if you like rhythm-based games and are not opposed to listening to music in Japanese.

- Salt & Sanctuary is a great indie game that is most commonly referred to as Dark Souls in 2D, and with good reason!

- LittleBigPlanet Vita is the handheld version of LBP with entirely new levels and game mechanics using the touchscreens, and it works wonderfully! If you played LBP on PS3, you'll know what to expect!

- Tearaway is a nice little adventure (no sure if it has been mentioned before or not)

- Bastion is also a great indie that was expertly ported to the Vita

Anyways, hope you enjoy your Vita as most of us do!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@JOJOVchronicles Thank you for the welcome! I shall make up for lost time :D

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy I'm sure the PSP certainly has it's uses to this very day :) Apparently it's the only way to still play Metal Gear Acid. So far the Vita has served as a great portable PS1. The only non-compatible games that I own are Blood Omen Legacy of Kain and Suikoden 2.

@Fragtaster PS1 games do look amazing on it! Luckily for me, I like anime games with school girls ;) In today's gaming market where black & grey first person shooters flood the shelves, nothing beats a vibrant & colorful JRPG with heart and characters you can love. SEGA Saturn never had a humongous following in America either, but it's still one of my most favorite consoles. There are plenty of amazing games to be discovered for both the Saturn and Vita if you import them :D I have to get my hands on the "Tales of" games you mentioned!

@HellcoreFire ???

@Soraking1991 Thank you for the welcome! For one who has always desired more Japanese games, the Vita is a dream come true! I do love me some Hatsune Miku, hopefully I'll come across those titles soon. I will continue to enjoy my Vita!

@LightningCharm It is never too late! Welcome to the party, LC! My life has changed for the better thanks to Vita! Now I am even more otaku than I was before!

@Denvirus I know exactly what you mean ;) Because the Vita's library is mostly marketed towards one demographic, it's like a goldmine for me out there!

Sorry for my late replies, the holidays have been hectic this year. I'm happy to still see all the welcomes and recommendations coming in. Vita Island truly is a paradise filled with great games and friendly people! I know this topic won't exactly last forever, but basking in it's sunshine when I can is a great feeling ^o^ Now would be a good time to give a proper update to my Vita situation. I've applied the official Persona 4 skin from ATLUS to my handheld only recently and it's truly gorgeous, of course the Vita is always gorgeous xD Even the official wallpaper lines up with the skin! I've also picked up three more games since my first and original post. Persona 4 Golden, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1 and Drive Girls. The time I've had with my Vita so far has been amazing and I'd imagine it will only get better and better as time goes on. I've played and beaten Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus and even earned the Platinum trophy, which also happens to be my 1,000th trophy! I want to say thank everyone here for all the welcomes and suggestions so far, do enjoy the new pictures ^-^

16bhbo2.jpg

2prxo1s.jpg

2912u02.jpg

• Like 4

^ Loving the Persona 4 skin, Such a remarkable game as well as P3. Frankly I'm a bit of an Atlus fan and gave Princess Crown a bash on the weekend on the old Sega Saturn. I know Princess Crown was re-released on PSP, is it playable on the Vita? I doubt many have a Sega Saturn still let alone many JP discs.

Edit: new phone this week so I'll take a Saturn snap shot and some vita pics.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Vita experience . Great initial pickups and wasn't aware that Shinovi Versus had a physical release in NA , i had to bought it digital here in EU . 

Be sure to pick up some more games along the way , Vita might not have a not so huge library of AAA titles but in general it has some pretty good lineup of great and hidden gems if you look closely .

Cheers to You and your newly purchase, @ShonenCat  !

P.S : I now it's a  it late by now but better late then never imo ?

• Like 1

I looked at Saturn gear on Ebay last night and it's a %95 complete rip off. Most of my Japanese Saturn games cost only a few $ in Japan and there's no reason for some of these prices. Looking at my collection now there's no way I'd mirror that with todays prices.

• Like 1

@Sigma999 Hey Sigma xD Had no idea Shinovi Versus didn't have a physical release in EU. I am aware that Neptunia ReBirth1 did not as well, such a shame ): I'm not too worried about AAA titles, I just want all the niche Japanese stuff mainly even if Black Ops Declassified is still on my list of games. It is never too late, thanks for joining the party. I'm enjoying the Vita quite throughly, currently playing Drive Girls!

@chellesan Actually, the original Neptunia on PS3 was my first. I got that Platinum not too long ago and it's turned me into a fan of sorts. I picked up the SEGA Girls spinoff for a good price. I knew it wouldn't be the next one I play but I gotta own all things with SEGA Saturn in it. Rebirth1 was a recent pickup and will be my next Neptunia game for sure!

@tjoe1bkhjtqxm GameStop here doesn't sell new Vita systems but they still sell games and preowned systems. Whether it's a first or second model, they both sell currently for $140. I got mine from eBay though for about that price however it came with an 8GB memory card too. GameStop expects you to handle your own memory card situation.

@Fragtaster @Z1MZUM Are you two sure about that? o: I know American Saturn games are really outrageous but Japanese Saturn games really shouldn't be. My small yet glorious collection came from eBay at very good price. I think it's because in America these games were so low number that they became collector's items, but in Japan they're up to their necks in Saturn games xD The only American Saturn game I own is Panzer Dragoon Saga, probably the most expensive of all. I've held onto it for about a decade now. I know this is a Vita topic but I don't get to talk Saturn often so this is a double score for me! I'll share some glorious pictures with you both ^o^

5o5onq.jpg

2m4rmlt.jpg

rssvwn.jpg

kb3bt0.jpg

A small Vita update! I believe I mentioned the carrying case and charging cradle before but never got them in a picture. Also, picked up Collar X Malice at a local GameStop. I have no idea what this is other than a Vita exclusive xD When a game sits around in GameStop for too long, they bring the price way down. That's the time to sweep them up :) I did the same with Drive Girls, now I wait for Bad Apple Wars to drop as well.

afk6mf.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to Vita island ;P

I'd heartily recommend Soul Sacrifice / Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Took me a while to get into it, but after an hour or two I was hooked!

It has really great combat, fun multiplayer, a surprisingly excellent story, and really epic music!

It is very dark, and gloomy, so if you're looking for a happy game, ignore this xD

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShonenCat said:

@Sigma999 Hey Sigma xD Had no idea Shinovi Versus didn't have a physical release in EU. I am aware that Neptunia ReBirth1 did not as well, such a shame ): I'm not too worried about AAA titles, I just want all the niche Japanese stuff mainly even if Black Ops Declassified is still on my list of games. It is never too late, thanks for joining the party. I'm enjoying the Vita quite throughly, currently playing Drive Girls!

@chellesan Actually, the original Neptunia on PS3 was my first. I got that Platinum not too long ago and it's turned me into a fan of sorts. I picked up the SEGA Girls spinoff for a good price. I knew it wouldn't be the next one I play but I gotta own all things with SEGA Saturn in it. Rebirth1 was a recent pickup and will be my next Neptunia game for sure!

@tjoe1bkhjtqxm GameStop here doesn't sell new Vita systems but they still sell games and preowned systems. Whether it's a first or second model, they both sell currently for $140. I got mine from eBay though for about that price however it came with an 8GB memory card too. GameStop expects you to handle your own memory card situation.

@Fragtaster @Z1MZUM Are you two sure about that? o: I know American Saturn games are really outrageous but Japanese Saturn games really shouldn't be. My small yet glorious collection came from eBay at very good price. I think it's because in America these games were so low number that they became collector's items, but in Japan they're up to their necks in Saturn games xD The only American Saturn game I own is Panzer Dragoon Saga, probably the most expensive of all. I've held onto it for about a decade now. I know this is a Vita topic but I don't get to talk Saturn often so this is a double score for me! I'll share some glorious pictures with you both ^o^

Reveal hidden contents

5o5onq.jpg

2m4rmlt.jpg

rssvwn.jpg

kb3bt0.jpg

A small Vita update! I believe I mentioned the carrying case and charging cradle before but never got them in a picture. Also, picked up Collar X Malice at a local GameStop. I have no idea what this is other than a Vita exclusive xD When a game sits around in GameStop for too long, they bring the price way down. That's the time to sweep them up :) I did the same with Drive Girls, now I wait for Bad Apple Wars to drop as well.

afk6mf.jpg

I have a copy of Drive Girls . How it stands ? Good ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

I'm %100 positive, Australian Ebay is a complete rip off and some of those $10 Japanese games are super overpriced like Virtual on for $100?. That is a really nice collection you have there and I should get around to taking new photos of my gear soon. If you're into the SMT games the Saturn has both Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers, I got a feeling you already know this :)

• Like 1