What are you reading?

Rankineer

I'm currently reading, but also almost done with The Earthsea Quartet.

68041.jpg

4 great books in one, got the two other books in the series, may read them next. :)

Enjoying the books. Definitely aimed at "all ages", but I think perhaps I would have enjoyed it a bit more had it been less restricted in that sense.

Edited by MMDE

I'm currently reading, but also almost done with The Earthsea Quartet.

68041.jpg

4 great books in one, got the two other books in the series, may read them next. :)

Enjoying the books. Definitely aimed at "all ages", but I think perhaps I would have enjoyed it a bit more had it been less restricted in that sense.

I have A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, and The Farthest Shore sitting on my shelf. Haven't gotten around to them yet unfortunately, and I still need Tehanu.

My book backlog is almost as big as my gaming backlog.  <_<

I have A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, and The Farthest Shore sitting on my shelf. Haven't gotten around to them yet unfortunately, and I still need Tehanu.

My book backlog is almost as big as my gaming backlog.  <_<

Ah, yes, got lots of books in my backlog as well. Bought a lot of nice fantasy series books like this one. Many being one or two big books containing the entire series. Much cheaper that way. I also mostly purchased used, very cheaply. Can feel a bit overwhelming starting on them when they are so big. :P There are two more books in the series called Tales From Earthsea and The Other Wind. There's an anime movie based on Tales From Earthsea, but I think that movie was just loosely based on it and doesn't have the same plot or anything, just set in the same kind of world. They should definitely be read in the order they were released.

Edited by MMDE

Ah, yes, got lots of books in my backlog as well. Bought a lot of nice fantasy series books like this one. Many being one or two big books containing the entire series. Much cheaper that way. I also mostly purchased used, very cheaply. Can feel a bit overwhelming starting on them when they are so big. :P There are two more books in the series called Tales From Earthsea and The Other Wind. There's an anime movie based on Tales From Earthsea, but I think that movie was just loosely based on it and doesn't have the same plot or anything, just set in the same kind of world. They should definitely be read in the order they were released.

Yeah I try to buy used when I can. My local library usually has sales, but the series I go after is kinda hard to find. (Dragonlance) Out of 200 books I have maybe 60? And have read about 50 of them...and I've been collecting them for 10 years. -_-

I think I saw a movie based off of Earthsea. It was a long time ago so I can't be sure. 

Yeah I try to buy used when I can. My local library usually has sales, but the series I go after is kinda hard to find. (Dragonlance) Out of 200 books I have maybe 60? And have read about 50 of them...and I've been collecting them for 10 years. -_-

I think I saw a movie based off of Earthsea. It was a long time ago so I can't be sure. 

Ah, yes, I've been interested in getting in Dragonlance, and I see your avatar and banner is Raistlin Majere. I knew that without having to look it up. haha

You've probably seen the movie if you watch any anime, because it's by Studio Ghibli. Though this movie wasn't as great as they usually are. A not as experienced director and a far from faithful adaption. Some of the characters are in the movie, but yeah, just not a faithful adaption whatsoever. :P

MV5BMTExODA0NzkxOTZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDM0

The little text there in the sky is sort of a spoiler, not really spoiling a whole lot, but it's not introduced before 4th book AFAIK.

Edited by MMDE

Ah, yes, I've been interested in getting in Dragonlance, and I see your avatar and banner is Raistlin Majere. I knew that without having to look it up. haha

You've probably seen the movie if you watch any anime, because it's by Studio Ghibli. Though this movie wasn't as great as they usually are. A not as experienced director and a far from faithful adaption. Some of the characters are in the movie, but yeah, just not a faithful adaption whatsoever. :P

MV5BMTExODA0NzkxOTZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDM0

The little text there in the sky is sort of a spoiler, not really spoiling a whole lot, but it's not introduced before 4th book AFAIK.

Raist is my favorite character of all time. The series is great to get into because of how much it was expanded. With numerous authors the series got to go over thousands of years. 

As for the movie...I'd rather watch Avatar The Last Air Bender or Dragon Ball Evolution again than the Dragonlance movie. The image you linked is broken btw.

I put the last three books I posted on hold until I finished up this trilogy. On the last book now.

534476.jpg

Raist is my favorite character of all time. The series is great to get into because of how much it was expanded. With numerous authors the series got to go over thousands of years. 

As for the movie...I'd rather watch Avatar The Last Air Bender or Dragon Ball Evolution again than the Dragonlance movie. The image you linked is broken btw.

I put the last three books I posted on hold until I finished up this trilogy. On the last book now.

534476.jpg

Yeah, I kinda figured you'd like Raistlin Majere. Do you perhaps also like Dalamar Argent (Nightson)? =P

ICO: Castle in the Mist

Miyuki Miyabe

Really enjoying this novelization of ICO!

icocastleinthemist.jpg?w=350&h=533

I got that book too. Already read it! :) Fun take on the ICO story. It's officially licensed and by professional writer etc, but it's sort of "fan fiction", but who cares, it fleshes out the ICO game and is believable in terms of it could have been the real intended story.

Recently finished Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki.  Now I am reading Contact by Carl Sagan.

Is Contact any good? I've listened to the entire The Demon-Haunted World, and enjoyed that.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Yeah, I kinda figured you'd like Raistlin Majere. Do you perhaps also like Dalamar Argent? =P

I haven't read Dalamar The Dark yet (I don't have it) but his character is ok. I like the idea of the "dark elf" because it shows a bit more character in regards to not just conforming.

Is Contact any good? I've listened to the entire The Demon-Haunted World, and enjoyed that.

I'm about 25% in and I like it.  I read The Demon-Haunted World and there are some parallels as far as how to best handle the apperance of alien contact.  Obviously this is fiction, but I'd be inclined to say you will like it.

Since I've posted here I've read:

Ursula K. Guin's Left Hand of Darkness and Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.

Currently I'm reading The New Kings of Non-Ficiton edited by Ira Glass (from This American Life). It is a collection of non-fiction stories from journalists.

newkingsofnonfiction-2.jpg

I'm trying to read 50 books this year. I was doing well progress wise but then I hit a wall in June and haven't read a single book since, I'm a flop. :'(

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (fantasy is really just not my thing so I might drop it) and Resident Evil: Caliban Cove before stopping. I should try to pick them back up soon.

• Like 1

I'm reading Threshold by Jeremy Robinson. It's a series called The Chess Team adventures about a badass special ops squadron who end up dealing with semi-supernatural shite. They are really well written and fun to read.

I'm also re-reading the Symphony of the Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon between waiting for the ChessTA books to arrive from the library.

I'm trying to read 50 books this year. I was doing well progress wise but then I hit a wall in June and haven't read a single book since, I'm a flop. :'(

You could look here if you're looking for ideas to keep working on your goal.

https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21027-suggest-an-authorbookseries/?hl=%2Brecommend+%2Bbook+%2Bauthor#entry456120