The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

Old (2021) - IMDb

Although I love M. Night Shyamalan's movies, I was skeptical about this one because of the poor ratings on IMDB. But I decided to watch it anyway and in the end I was pleasantly surprised. I don't know why the film got bad reviews, but it is an interesting film with a great twist at the end. I recommend watching.

• Like 4

p22548638_p_v13_aa.jpg

Batman and Superman: Battle of the Super Sons

the movie was average, Batman is in the title just for marketing, this is a Superman and his son focused movie featuring Batman and his son, the CGI was OK but it feels like I'm wathing a cheap video game cutscene at times, the story is nonsense

it's one of the lower rated DC Animated Movies for me

• Like 1

On 31.03.2023 at 1:52 PM, LastMinuteSavior said:

At this point, I wish Hollywood would just hit the pause button on super-hero movies for a few years. It's simply not working anymore.

I believe the latest offerings by Marvel and DC have been underperforming. Might be a sign that the audience is tired of this trend. 

Ant-Man: Quantumania is doing worse than Ant-Man 1 in terms of money. It's also tied with Eternals for the lowest Cinemascore. Overall, the situation with MCU is not much brighter. Even the COVID-era titles like Black Widow, Shang Chi, and Eternals aside, MCU has been on a slight downward trend. Since Endgame, only Spider-Man films were able to cross the 1 billion dollar mark.

On the DC side, Shazam: Fury of Gods flopped completely. DC movies that exist outside of their extended universe are doing better. That said, 2022's The Batman performed worse than 2/3 of Nolan's Batman movie installments.

Elsewhere, on Sony side - I don't even know. Morbius famously flopped too.

_____

I don't know if it's a temporary thing and the comic book train is gonna get back on track as soon as Guardians of the Galaxy 3 arrives to theaters, or a slow 10-year long downward trend. It seems like the studios have been looking into video game adaptations more. There have been a lot recently, and so many more are in the production pipeline now. Sony alone is about to adapt every game they've ever made. So maybe there's a chance they'll pause with superheroes. 

Edit: lowest cinemascore among MCU films

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

@Slava Sony has the Kraven the Hunter (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Madame Web (Dakota Johnson) movies in post-production. I'm sure those will be great ?

One would have thought Kevin Feige would save Sony Pictures from themselves, but it seems even he has lost his magic touch.

Main problem seems to be that Feige has been throwing most of the movies' budgets at actors, while being cheap when hiring talent behind the camera (directors, writers, cgi artists).

Best thing Sony has been doing is teaming up with other studios for the PlayStation productions.

Regarding the DC movies. I think they're going in the wrong direction again. Gunn should have fully rebooted the mainline DC universe, and should not have any saying over elseworlds stuff like The Batman or Joker.

I love James Gunn's stuff, but he's a creative. Not a big time producer.

I think Gunn is going to have mid results with his DC movies, David Zaslav will sell Warner Bros to another company in a few years, and the DC Universe will just be rebooted. Again.

On the Marvel side, word is Bob Iger is back and shaking things up. Wants quality over quantity while saving money where possible.

I was also pleased to hear Mahershala Ali was the one twisting Feige's arm to hire a new writer and director for the Blade movie.

I still have a little hope they can create a decent dark corner on the MCU for the midnight suns. Maybe that would freshen things up.

Meanwhile, I hope they put the X-Men and the Young Avengers on ice. That's the kind of stuff we all had enough for the moment, I think.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 1

p23374294_v_v13_aa.jpg

Legion of Super-Heroes

this movie has the most accurate Supergirl design and personality wise I've ever seen, she's great, but the movie itself is weak with a boring story, Supergirl carries the whole movie all the way

also the name is misleading, it's a Supergirl movie, period, which was a pleasant surprise for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChilledBrandon said:

One of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a really long time

Yup, it's excellent.

That scene when Gosling tries a bit of breaking and entering but ends up in an ambulance is hysterical. That's the whole movie actually: very funny, always surprising.

Maybe watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang sometime, if you haven't already.

Similar style, but with RDJ and Val Kilmer. Also directed by Shane Black.

And don't forget: nobody gets hurt if they die fast enough.

• Like 2