The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

On 05/05/2023 at 0:22 PM, ChilledBrandon said:

Very entertaining revenge movie with Kevin Bacon at some of his best. I'm a big fan of James Wan's work as a director, pretty much always enjoy what he puts out.

Have you ever watched 1999's Stir of Echoes starring Kevin Bacon? I have no idea how it has aged, but it was great back in the day. My fav Kevin Bacon role after Tremors.

James Wan. The mind behind what may be the best ending scene in a horror thriller ever.

anigif_sub-buzz-20594-1557940478-1.gif

Too bad he's been stuck with Aquaman 2 for ages.

On 20/05/2023 at 3:53 PM, ChilledBrandon said:

Fun watch, I preferred the first movie although I did really find the set design impressive in this one. Very creative escape rooms I enjoyed.

Yeah, I enjoyed both, but the first movie is definitely better.

Made me a fan of Taylor Russell. She's so charming and likable in these. Looking forward to watch other stuff with her, starting with Bones and All soon.

@Brainz4Lunch Ready or Not is awesome. It's rare that such a high concept horror thriller can keep it's momentum going til the closing credits.

Side note - I think Hollywood has been wasting Samara Weaving, Betty Gilpin and Jodie Comer. They all are super talented, charismatic and absolute badasses and I would love to see them as leads in more movies.

On 20/05/2023 at 3:50 PM, Slava said:

I've been meaning to watch this one for a long time.

Come and See

20200805_SeeingisBelieving_figure_header.jpg

There is an opinion that any war film passively promotes war. I think this movie proves it wrong, or at least comes as close to an "anti-war' film as possible. 

Have you been watching this?

You should, if you haven't.

@Redgrave

I played a number of Vietnam themed shooters on PC around the time the original CoD came out, stuff like Men of Valor, Vietcong, Shellshock: Nam '67, and they usually were a lot more gruesome and gory than the WW2 games. Some even attempted to say something about the horrors of war and about how traumatic the Nam war was, but I don't think any game ever came close to what The Line achieved in that regard.

Apropos of that, here's another great video essay from Tom van der Linden:

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Have you been watching this?

I have seen this video. To be honest, I don't remember half of it because I started to doze off by the middle. Man's voice is just too relaxing lol. But I remember some bullet points.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slava said:

I started to doze off by the middle. Man's voice is just too relaxing lol.

Indeed!

@djb5f If you're asking about the display with the 4 latest "recently watched" movies, you have to log films with a date for that to show.

Still, when I go to your "Films" page I can see your ratings for the 200-something movies you added.

For instance, I can see you gave Rise of the Skywalker 4 stars, but only 2 stars to Blade Runner 2049.

dawson_crying.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Indeed!

@djb5f If you're asking about the display with the 4 latest "recently watched" movies, you have to log films with a date for that to show.

Still, when I go to your "Films" page I can see your ratings for the 200-something movies you added.

Aha thank you, I did not realize you had to review/log with a date.  I see it listed now in my diary but I’m unclear of how to list/post my last 4 movies with ratings shown.

EDIT - I see your update, lol.  Blade Runner 2049 was a chore to make it through.  The new SW movies didn’t “earn” 4 stars but the original trilogy holds a special place in my heart so it gets a bump for the nostalgia.  

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, djb5f said:

EDIT - I see your update, lol.  Blade Runner 2049 was a chore to make it through.

I was (mostly) kidding ?

Seriously though, to each their own.

And sometimes you even change your mind, get new interests, appreciate different subjects and styles.

For example, I really didn't care for Sicario (another Villeneuve film) the first time I watched it, but today it's one of my all time favorites.

@Caquis_1 I took care of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

@djb5f You should watch the 4th one. It's a slow burn, but when Rambo finally goes postal it's super satisfying. SO. MUCH. GORE.

I have no intention of watching the recent 5th film though. Smells from a distance.

Thanks, yeah, I haven’t seen those but want to now (at least the first one I guess?).  The impetus of watching these original three is that they are being removed from HBO Max at the end of the month.  Hopefully Rambo 2008 gets picked up to some streaming service soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

You're in the US? According to JustWatch it's on Peacock.

Never noticed HBOmax had a "leaving soon" section!

Best value streaming service in my country. Hope they don't ruin it with the changes they're doing.

Oh nice, I do.  I’ve been going by IMDB for streaming options which usually has it right but for this Rambo,  it just shows it with Rent/Buy options.  Glad to know I can see it on Peacock.

Edited by djb5f

11 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

I played a number of Vietnam themed shooters on PC around the time the original CoD came out, stuff like Men of Valor, Vietcong, Shellshock: Nam '67, and they usually were a lot more gruesome and gory than the WW2 games. Some even attempted to say something about the horrors of war and about how traumatic the Nam war was, but I don't think any game ever came close to what The Line achieved in that regard.

Apropos of that, here's another great video essay from Tom van der Linde

I'm pretty sure I had a Lord of the Rings video recommended to me from him before so I'll put that one in my watch later list ?

• Like 1

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-23-221051.pn

Went to see a local film for the first time in cinemas I believe, movies made in my country are usually considered bad by all, we have a certain type of humor that is almost outdated for a lack of words. The movie actually surprised me, it started almost bad and I expected the worst but it got a lot better, just wanted to said something about peruvian films lol, I know most people that read this won't see it. 

On the other hand, I absolutely loved GOTG 3, hence the rewatch lol. 

• Like 3