The Last Movie You Saw?

Mio

I've recently started watching films again after like a 10 year hiatus. So far I've rewatched the Bourne trilogy and to answer the topic, The Constant Gardener. They are all good thrillers. The Bourne Identity was probably my favourite of the trilogy, and The Constant Gardener was very enjoyable being both a thriller and romance story with a strong cast.

• Like 3

At the Cinema two months ago my sister and I saw Guardian's of the Galaxy Vol 3 - not as good as the first, and we thought the cruel story of Rocky Raccoon's origins was a bit much.  Shame that Zoe Saldana's character is a bitch now, but Starlord still fancies her, but we still love Groot/Swole Groot.

On DVD we all saw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, great film with Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck and the cinematography is brilliant with a heavy use of a tilt shift lens giving it an edge, no wonder it got an award for it. 

On TV I watched the movie, Dances with Wolves again which because it was broadcast before 9 pm watershed they naturally cut the love scene from it. 

• Like 2

Don't walk on the train tracks, it's dangerous! ヽ( `д´*)ノ If you're unfamiliar with the urban legend/ARG-like Kisaragi Station, you can either head to Wikipedia for a summery or digest an English retelling here (including to-the-point podcast): https://www.kowabana.net/2018/02/17/kisaragi-station/

This was a fun watch (suspense/mystery horror). 

At around the 50-minute-ish mark, the film temporarily felt like it had turned a little stale and the prospect that I had unknowingly boarded the train set for the "Happy End, ever after" after such a promising start, especially, really hampered my enjoyment around then. My fears turned out to be entirely unfounded, however. The ending was a cheeky one and, with that, surprisingly fitting for this 2chan legend. Curiosity just gotta kill the cat, or does it. 

The theme song used for the film by the young new artist 弌誠/issey is fantastic. 

• Like 3

Watched Groundhog Day for the very first time yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot. I had seen similar movies years ago such as Edge of Tomorrow and Source Code but never this one which popularised the concept, being where the protagonist inadvertently finds themselves in a time loop, reliving the exact same day over and over and then ultimately breaks the time loop by making the right choices.

Spoilers below as I just talk about it:

I liked this one quite a bit and was more grounded and felt lighter/more comedic than the others and my favourite part of this concept is the day the very first loop occurs as it is definitely the most intriguing and mysterious part which is where it grabs you. But yeah in this one he pretty much does everything I would have done if I was in this situation. I would have used it to my advantage to find the exact formula of what to say and do to the attractive women to get laid, I would then smoke and drink like there was no tomorrow but I would end up feeling trapped and try to commit suicide in various ways but then just end up accepting it and just explore, taking up new hobbies, since he was able to retain muscle memory through each time loop where he learned to play the piano and make ice sculptures which was really cool.

But yeah it was a good film and the cast was really good and was similar thematically to Scrooged in his redemption arc as it is hinted that this is what somehow broke the loop and I thought that it was a really nice touch that it was never explained as to how or why the loop occurred in the first place, I liked that a lot as it kept the surreal feeling

Edited by olliebear66t
  • Like 3

5ScPNT6fHtfYJeWBajZciPV3hEL.jpgimage_204c6ddf.jpeg?region=0,0,540,810

These posters go well together so had to use them lol, Watched these two on the weekend and enjoyed it mostly at least but long story short I thought Avatar was great long time coming so glad I liked it, As for Ant-Man it was ok the reviews for this were mixed to say the least but I thought it had decent moments better than some of the other recent stuff marvel has put out in my opinion.

• Like 2

MV5BMzE5NzcxMTk5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE2MDg2OQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I saw this was in the recommended tab on Tubi after watching Drive and figured I would watch it since it had Ryan Gosling in it and was directed by the same guy. I was expecting it to be something of a John Wick kind of action thing going by the title but it was a lot more strange and creepy than I was expecting. It was still an interesting watch though.

• Like 2

A Quiet Place 2

I was told this was better than the first one (which was a bad stoiry but had great visual and sound design and a cool concept), so I caved.

No, it's not. I'd say it has even more annoying stupidity in it and this time, the cinematography and sound design is not quite as on point as before, becoming less able to distract me. I mean, just the start of the story: Now that Emily Blunt has a means of defeating the monsters from the ending of the first movie and is living on a farm, the most useful kind of property one can even dream to have in a post-apocalyptic world, she... decides to leave for no place in particular, endangering herself and her children for no discernible reason? And when she runs into another survivor, they talk about how there is not much food? Gee, if only she had access to a farm or something! In fairness, she had a barn burn down. If only there had been water somewhere in that flooded barn to put out the fire, but no such luck! But I'm in favor of that because in Minecraft, my smelting facility is called the Burn Barn, animated sign alternating A and U and everything. So, cool.

And then her daughter, proving she is indeed related to her mother, decides to randomly leave for an island. Which would have been fine if she had hope for help her mother had previously refused. Not only did her mother not refuse, she never got a chance to because the daughter never even asked her. Now, refusal would not have made any sense because looking for help was the only feasible reason for the family to leave the farm in the first place, but she had already found a replacement husband, or whatever the reason for her leaving actually was. Just don't ask me why she needed one and risked the whole family's lives leaving home the day after her previous one died.

Don't worry about spoilers, that is only the beginning setup of the story. Although nobody gets any less dumb from then on.

An incredibly contrived sequel I can't recommend to anybody who has a brain and likes to keep it. The monsters are cool, that's about it.