Surprised Sony isn't porting more PS3 games to PS4

Sora9669

There's just a lot of ports this generation in general. Nintendo is also porting a heck of a lot of games from the Wii U to the Switch. There's definitely been more Playstation exclusives ported than any Xbox exclusives (I can't even think of any).

I would prefer backwards compatibility to all these remasters/ports to be honest. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, you can play PS3 games on the PS4 via PS Now, and Microsoft added backwards compatibility for a very large chunk of games on the Xbox One.

I have to admit that I'm really tired of seeing so many games getting ported this generation that don't really need to be ported. I'm fine with games that are two generations old now or more (PS2/Gamecube/Original Xbox/etc.) getting ports/remasters and remakes, but PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U aren't really old enough to justify all the ports imho. I know it's always good news for people who didn't get the games last gen to have an opportunity to play them now, but at the same time, they could have just played them and several others for much cheaper if Sony just had backwards compatibility on the PS4.

There's some ports I've bought, and upcoming ones I'll buy (Dark Souls), just because they're either old enough that I don't mind buying them again, and/or I just simply enjoyed them enough that I'd like to own a second copy for a newer console that it'll likely run better on (hopefully there's no insane lag in Blight Town on the PS4 Dark Souls). I'm more interested in re-releases of games that actually have some new content though, such as Catherine and The World Ends With You.

• Like 1

I don't have any issue with remasters. It's been said before, but whether or not remasters are released is not going to make original triple-A titles materialise any faster. As for the remasters themselves, they've given me an opportunity to play games I missed the previous generation (Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Metro) or just revisit old favourites with a fresh trophy set (Gravity Rush, Uncharted). I don't see a problem with that. 

Sony certainly have limited what they themselves have remastered, partly to attract people to PS Now, and partly to make room for full-fledged remakes like Shadow of the Colossus. If that one proves successful, it may well be what they do in the future - choose one popular title and remake it from the ground up, as opposed to packaging two or more titles with a basic makeover and selling it for the price of a single game. It's a double-edged sword: pay £30 for a full remake, or the same amount of money for a collection of remasters. I guess I'm fine with either approach - but either way I'll only be buying during a sale. 

6 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm trying to think of Sony IPs that aren't available on the PS4 as either a remaster or through Now.

And I'm drawing a blank....

You say that like it's a bad thing. Besides, PS Now is a lot different to actually porting the game to PS4. It's the equivalent of flicking a switch - no development time or money required.

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Besides, PS Now is a lot different to actually porting the game to PS4. It's the equivalent of flicking a switch - no development time or money required.

No, it was more a response to the OP saying Sony themselves hadn't ported many of their IPs. I'm trying to think of a Sony IP that would be worth porting that hasn't been? Serious question - if Sony could port one of their PS3 games, which would you want?

5 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

No, it was more a response to the OP saying Sony themselves hadn't ported many of their IPs. I'm trying to think of a Sony IP that would be worth porting that hasn't been? Serious question - if Sony could port one of their PS3 games, which would you want?

Ah, fair enough. But still, I don't really consider a game being on PS Now as a "port". It's just the PS3 version with input lag and compression artifacts. :P There are games on PS Now that have later been ported to PS4. The Last of Us comes to mind. There are plenty of PS3 games they could give the full remaster treatment to but have refrained from doing so.

delet PS Now and problem solved.

man, a service available in just 6 countries killing the chance for the rest of the world to replay enhanced PS3 gems on the PS4

or buy a PS3 and play those games there, but after trying the PS4, I miss the 60FPS when I play things on PS3.

Yeah, I hate PS Now. 6 countries. UK has some great games missing compared with other countries. Can't access DLC. Sucks even more if you have pretty bad internet. 

I think they'd make a lot more money if they had an option to purchase the games on PS Now seperately to keep forever and doesn't have to be streamed. I for one would be willing to buy Mafia 2, Saints Row 2 and 3, Resident Evil ORC (and DLC) and all the Lost Planet games.  

Edited by Greavesy111
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

To be honest I had thought they ported quite a lot of games actually, in fact much more than I'd ever expected: FFX/X-2, entire KH series, Okami, Life is Strange, Heavy Rain, Beyond, Ratchet & Clank, Tales of Zestiria and Berseria, Persona 5, Tomb Raider.... 

Most of the games you listed have nothing to do with Sony.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

There's just a lot of ports this generation in general. Nintendo is also porting a heck of a lot of games from the Wii U to the Switch. There's definitely been more Playstation exclusives ported than any Xbox exclusives (I can't even think of any).

I would prefer backwards compatibility to all these remasters/ports to be honest. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, you can play PS3 games on the PS4 via PS Now, and Microsoft added backwards compatibility for a very large chunk of games on the Xbox One.

I have to admit that I'm really tired of seeing so many games getting ported this generation that don't really need to be ported. I'm fine with games that are two generations old now or more (PS2/Gamecube/Original Xbox/etc.) getting ports/remasters and remakes, but PS3/Xbox 360/Wii U aren't really old enough to justify all the ports imho. I know it's always good news for people who didn't get the games last gen to have an opportunity to play them now, but at the same time, they could have just played them and several others for much cheaper if Sony just had backwards compatibility on the PS4.

There's some ports I've bought, and upcoming ones I'll buy (Dark Souls), just because they're either old enough that I don't mind buying them again, and/or I just simply enjoyed them enough that I'd like to own a second copy for a newer console that it'll likely run better on (hopefully there's no insane lag in Blight Town on the PS4 Dark Souls). I'm more interested in re-releases of games that actually have some new content though, such as Catherine and The World Ends With You.

PS Now is streaming... from PS3 hardware.

I'd say Sony isn't so stupid as to think streaming is a solution to anything, but they're stupid enough to make the benefit of streaming nothing since they removed most platforms that they supported for PS Now and only support PS4 and PC now. Netflix would be nothing if you could only use it on PC and some Netflix Box. Streaming works because it's accessible. PS Now isn't. Even if I do use it myself, they really missed the boat.

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

inFAMOUS 2. 

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Most of the games you listed have nothing to do with Sony.

Many aren't "ports," either...

If there are games that deserve a PS4 remaster, those are without the shadow of a doubt, the Ratchet & Clank Future games. 

Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time and Into The Nexus MUST be remastered for PS4. I am pretty sure people are going to argue saying that there are better games that deserve to be remastered sooner, but I ask those people with that opinion to play through those games before judging first. Or at least replay them if it's been too long since they played those games. Insomniac Games said in one of their streams that it's up to Sony if the games will get remastered or not, so I hope Sony makes the right choice.

Edited by crashratchet

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

This entire thread is silly. They're constantly announcing remasters every other week.

The PS4 is known as the remasterstation for a reason. And now Nintendo is taking a play out of their book by doing the same thing.

Nintendo and ports is nothing new. At all. Especially when we included their handhelds. 

There's too many posts here for me to quote them all so sorry to those.

Nintendo porting so many Wii U games to Switch inspired me to post this. To be very clear, I am a big fan of ports.

Since at least one person said something about it, ports and remasters very rarely affect new games.

Backwards compatibility on PlayStation 4 would be amazing, but it's clearly not going to happen now. While Microsoft has achieved it with about a 1/3 of 360 games currently playable, for Sony it would be a lot harder. Sony can't even let people change their PSN name lol. PS3 architecture is completely different to PS4. And even if it was possible to add backwards compatibility like Microsoft has Sony would have a very hard decision on their hands. Do digital only or both digital and discs. Since Sony made digital PS3 games and disc PS3 games completely different (this is why a lot of PS3 games weren't released digitally).

PlayStation Now is all well and good, but it's streaming and only available in so many countries. Also for some reason they still have yet to add a few of their own games like one of the Ratchet & Clanks, Resistance 1 & 2, LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2 etc. Despite PS Now, Sony did do those remasters so PS Now is not the reason for a lack of PS3 remasters lately.

Yes, remasters still happen regularly but these are usually from other publishers and the only ones Sony has done in the past couple of years are PSP games.

What PS3 games would Sony do? Should be obvious. The fact there hasn't been an inFamous collection really surprises me. And there's also the Ratchet & Clank PS3 games. Could also do Killzone 2 & 3. That Sly Cooper game. God of War Ascension. Etc. 

I would also throw in the HD remasters of PS2 games they did, but they're obviously releasing them as PS2 Classics eventually. Otherwise God of War trilogy would be have been smart in 2015 lol.