God of War [PS4] New Gameplay Footage [Official]

Leaderboards

10 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Even if it had a jump button, people would find something else to complain about. The game looks VERY awesome but nooo all they notice is the jump mechanic missing... who cares.

Let's pretend you could X to jump around.

"WTF NO COMBOS? NO MAGIC? WTF MA IMMERSION!!! THIS GAME IS A THE LAST OF US WANNABE"

I don't care if people don't like it. That's their own fault. If they want to keep playing the old God of War games, boot up your PS3 and knock yourself out. :lol: I'll enjoy a new God of War experience. 

8 hours ago, PhantomBlade19 said:

The game looks amazing, stuning graphics and great combat system. Why are people complaning? If the game have easy trophies they'll play it anyways, right? Personaly this game is a must-buy, just like most of the PS exclusives, and also because I enjoy story-driven games.

Because we live in a world where people have to express everything. Facebook has ruined humanity. Oh I don't like this, better make a post about how disappointed I am and how I won't be buying it until maybe it's $20 HEH HEH.

If people don't want it, they don't want it. I really hope this game has a really grindy trophy list. Something that takes 5+ playthroughs and a lot of passion to complete. This is a game I don't want to be done with in just one playthrough. I want it to be a platinum that people look at and think, damn, that's impressive that mook's got that plat. 

Of course it'll probably be just as easy as the other GoW platinums though. Sigh.

Just once, I wish there was a trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, without upgrading anything. I love NUR in God of War games.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Let's pretend you could X to jump around.

"WTF NO COMBOS? NO MAGIC? WTF MA IMMERSION!!! THIS GAME IS A THE LAST OF US WANNABE"

I don't care if people don't like it. That's their own fault. If they want to keep playing the old God of War games, boot up your PS3 and knock yourself out. :lol: I'll enjoy a new God of War experience. 

Because we live in a world where people have to express everything. Facebook has ruined humanity. Oh I don't like this, better make a post about how disappointed I am and how I won't be buying it until maybe it's $20 HEH HEH.

If people don't want it, they don't want it. I really hope this game has a really grindy trophy list. Something that takes 5+ playthroughs and a lot of passion to complete. This is a game I don't want to be done with in just one playthrough. I want it to be a platinum that people look at and think, damn, that's impressive that mook's got that plat. 

Of course it'll probably be just as easy as the other GoW platinums though. Sigh.

Just once, I wish there was a trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, without upgrading anything. I love NUR in God of War games.

The cherry on top would be a difficult trophy list. The hardest gow was ascension but even then nothing crazy hard. I hope this god of war tops that and not make it an easy list. Dont want the plat in a single playthrough either.

actually to make sure that wont happen even if it is an easy list, im obviously going to play it blind finding stuff on my own so im forced to do an additional playthrough so it will last me longer and start out on the hardest difficulty you can pick. Will be heaps fun! Cannot wait for midnight release. Will buy beers and snacks and lock my door to the outside world.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

The cherry on top would be a difficult trophy list. The hardest gow was ascension but even then nothing crazy hard. I hope this god of war tops that and not make it an easy list. Dont want the plat in a single playthrough either.

I don't think the game is like The Last of Us at all, except for the parts where you boost Atreus up so that you can proceed. That's the only comparison that makes sense. Otherwise, it's very akin to Horizon Zero Dawn. And since HZD has a laughably easy trophy list, I'm expecting this God of War game to have just as much of one. But we'll see. That's how it always works. You get games like The Last of Us, games you just want to experience and enjoy, get super grindy trophy lists, and then games you want to do everything you possibly can, and the trophy list has practically no missable trophies.

We're losing the sight of what trophies should be. They should be earned, not given for booting the game up and completing a story segment every 20 minutes. It'd be nice if they did something unique and truly challenging. That would give trophies more meaning to me.

58 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

My man. I hope exactly the same here. I love GoW and i'm really excited about this one.

• Like 1

There will be four difficulty settings.

Difficulty

Before starting, a player has to decide how demanding the game should be.

God of War’s four difficulty settings includes one that it is so intense that it has a separate save and can’t be changed after the game is started in that mode. It allows players to play the most challenging mode without having to sacrifice to play through the game’s other difficulties, which includes one that is meant to essentially covey the story.

And that fourth, hardest setting isn’t simply an algorithmic increase in difficulty, God of War creative director Cory Barlog says. “We did a ton of stuff to make it a genuine challenge, not a cynical increase. Enemies are all changed up. We changed the attack patterns of things; it’s hugely different.”

The decision to include the easiest setting, which is called Story Mode, was meant to appeal to players who just want to enjoy the world and “not get beat up every two seconds,” Barlog says.

And once players finish the game, no matter what difficulty they’re playing, they can keep playing the game, continue to experience the world that they likely haven’t fully examined.

Edited by Kratos

The combat looks like something from an MMO where you smash one enemy for almost 5 minutes just like they did with the troll or the group of 3 enemies. It gets even more obvious when they switch scenes after half of the trolls health is depleted as if they know full well how boring it is to look at Kratos chip away at that health bar. Appart from Kratos there is nothing that reminds me of God of War. More like a mediocre walking simulator where you look at beautiful scenery while progressing from one boring 5 minutes fight to another.

5 hours ago, DonGurke93 said:

The combat looks like something from an MMO where you smash one enemy for almost 5 minutes just like they did with the troll or the group of 3 enemies. It gets even more obvious when they switch scenes after half of the trolls health is depleted as if they know full well how boring it is to look at Kratos chip away at that health bar. Appart from Kratos there is nothing that reminds me of God of War. More like a mediocre walking simulator where you look at beautiful scenery while progressing from one boring 5 minutes fight to another.

Unless of course the troll becomes enraged in that second phase, much like most bosses in games. Or, perhaps they cut off to hide a pending quick time event? Of which the absence has already been noted as a determent for fans so far.

I'm hearing some conspiracy theories that Thor will be the first real boss of the game. Nothing major to point to that yet, before people lose their shit and call me out for spoilers. Just something I find fascinating. I find myself reflecting what kind of gods in the Norse universe we'll be killing. Makes for entertaining thoughts while you poo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, Valyrious said:

But then I guess the immersion is broken because you can't press X to jump. :lol: Listen, guys, you don't need to jump in the game.

It drives me crazy when there is no "press X to jump". I was playing Firewatch the other day, and I kept hitting the X button and getting surprised. There is literally no need to jump in that game (and you hit X to climb over things where you would usually jump) but the absence drove me crazy. So many games, X is jump, it's almost universal. Almost. 

Of course, the first salad I ever really enjoyed was in a Japanese restaurant so even ten years later sometimes I get confused eating salads with a fork instead of chopsticks, too. It is just how my brain works. I am a creature of habit.  

It won't keep me from enjoying the game! But I am anticipating that subconscious confusion now when I do play it. 

18 minutes ago, Burgins said:

Kind of agree sadly, hope it ends up surprising me though. I'd love for it to actually be really good

Funnily I have a kind of opposite feeling - it’s been such a while I have not been so hyped about a game that I’m more and more concerned I could only be disappointed in the end... Hopefully I won’t, fingers crossed ?

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SolarCat02 said:

It drives me crazy when there is no "press X to jump". I was playing Firewatch the other day, and I kept hitting the X button and getting surprised. There is literally no need to jump in that game (and you hit X to climb over things where you would usually jump) but the absence drove me crazy. So many games, X is jump, it's almost universal. Almost. 

Of course, the first salad I ever really enjoyed was in a Japanese restaurant so even ten years later sometimes I get confused eating salads with a fork instead of chopsticks, too. It is just how my brain works. I am a creature of habit.  

It won't keep me from enjoying the game! But I am anticipating that subconscious confusion now when I do play it. 

I don't think it'll be a big deal. Same with the transition of moving the attacks from square and triangle to R1 and R2. Hear lots of people whining about that.

Look, the previous God of War games had a 'cinematic' camera that you couldn't control no matter how hard you try. The right stick is used to evade. In this game, you do control the camera with the right stick like with any other modern game. 

To those who are complaining, I challenge you to remap Bloodborne attack controls to square and triange, and tell me it feels good. Go on. I'll tell you right now it doesn't. You're constantly having to move your thumb to attack and back to the right stick to look around. It doesn't feel good, at all. And it's very smart that they moved the attacks to the top right buttons.

New leaked footage of a sub boss. Safe to say that those really concerned about spoilers should not click it. 

https://streamable.com/fgyz1

I can say that I've never felt more comfortable with the direction the game is going after watching it, though. It's definitely more inspired by Soulsborne combat than its original GoW hack and slash roots. Which pisses off some people, but it makes for much more mature combat, imo...

• 2 years later...
On 17-3-2018 at 1:19 PM, PeachXHime said:

This isn't God of War, in my opinion. Cancelled my pre-order. Doesn't look quite as brutal, and the gameplay has this generic feel to it that reminds me of Last of Us. While a great game by itself I simply really dislike seeing God of War like this. GoW and Metal Gear Rising are some of my favorite games, Love the Hack and Slash genre. Could've been more in depth than the previous games while maintaining the genre, and it would have been great.

Maybe when it's in the bargain bin :)

Some of these posts, including my own, didn't age well. It actually ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. ?

• Like 1