Worst Assasins Creed story yet?

I totally enjoyed the vast area of exploration, but holy moly the story is terrible. I dont give a nut for Layla, just another astergo employee that was recognition, nobody special. Honestly they dont even need to introduce her part. I felt that was pointless. I think they were trying to go not too linear with the main story and allow side quests and all to tell the story, which ruined a bit of the immersion for me. But like I said I really enjoy the much bigger frontier to explore...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, matigrosso91 said:

Actually yes, is way better, i loved the animalistic representations of the targets, and the mythological things around the journey to the Duat. I don't know why i'm really arguing with you when you say something like "the worst AC yet" when you didn't even played all the others, like Unity. 

Care to explain how the memory corridors in Origins actually function? Because the game certainly doesn't bother to explain. A memory corridor is supposed to be an Animus effect - it puts the user into a white room without distractions so that the user can experience the final words of the assassinated target before his/her death, because those events actually happened in reality - Bayek/Ezio/etc. were never detected, so they got to have this final chat free of any attacking guards. But here in Origins, Bayek is reacting to supernatural elements within the memory corridor. How? At most that's an Animus effect to make it more interesting to the user, which is still dumb, so Bayek should have no response to anything other than the words being said by his target.

Every time a memory corridor began, my disgust in this foul game was revitalized. Everything about the shitty game is vile, and Unity is a masterpiece when compared to it.

On 27/04/2018 at 3:43 AM, captsplatter said:

The ending of Unity was absolute crap.  At least Origins had a proper ending.  Even an epilogue to boot.

Sorry for the late response but I don't think the ending of Unity was crap. Just forgettable, like the rest of the game. But the end of Origins and its DLC are indeed much, much better than the ending and DLC of Unity.

On 10/05/2018 at 11:06 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I totally enjoyed the vast area of exploration, but holy moly the story is terrible. I dont give a nut for Layla, just another astergo employee that was recognition, nobody special. Honestly they dont even need to introduce her part. I felt that was pointless. I think they were trying to go not too linear with the main story and allow side quests and all to tell the story, which ruined a bit of the immersion for me. But like I said I really enjoy the much bigger frontier to explore...

I think Ubi have written themselves in a corner with the present timeline. That being said, with the Desmond games I hated the present timeline with a passion, but Layla I can tolerate and I like the new animus idea.

On 16/06/2018 at 0:35 AM, TJ_Solo said:

How many AC games are there and this one  has the worst story? Riiight. 
Can't wait for the next entry to be the new "worst" in some category. 

Don't know if you're familiar with Zelda games but there's a running gag in the fanbase that each newest game is called the worst for some reason, and when the next game releases that one is the worst and suddenly everything the last game did that didn't sit well with people is now what makes it a masterpiece. Wind Waker was the worst because cell shading, then it became what made the game refreshing when Twilight Princess made the graphics realistic and gloomy. Then Twilight Princess was hated for its graphics and being too much like Ocarina Of Time, until Skyward Sword came around and deviated too much from the path with its origins story and cheery graphics. Now that Breath Of The Wild is like a large Ocarina Of Time variation with minimalistic story, people say Skyward Sword was underrated. Sheesh.

9 hours ago, madbuk said:

Care to explain how the memory corridors in Origins actually function? Because the game certainly doesn't bother to explain. A memory corridor is supposed to be an Animus effect - it puts the user into a white room without distractions so that the user can experience the final words of the assassinated target before his/her death, because those events actually happened in reality - Bayek/Ezio/etc. were never detected, so they got to have this final chat free of any attacking guards. But here in Origins, Bayek is reacting to supernatural elements within the memory corridor. How? At most that's an Animus effect to make it more interesting to the user, which is still dumb, so Bayek should have no response to anything other than the words being said by his target.

Every time a memory corridor began, my disgust in this foul game was revitalized. Everything about the shitty game is vile, and Unity is a masterpiece when compared to it.

Where the hell did you get it from that it's an animus effect? Because I always thought it's something that the historical person you play as also experienced, getting to talk to the target as they die thanks to thought bonding, something they can do thanks to having precursor blood just like they can do eagle vision. I think that was even the official explanation during AC1, when people complained about how a target can blab for so long after being fatally stabbed.

And come on, a bit less on the language please. I get that you don't like the game and I respect that, but that doesn't make it foul, disgusting, shitty or vile. There's enough people (even just in this thread) thinking its changes make Assassin's Creed Origins the best AC game yet.

Edited by Ezio Auditore
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Sorry for the late response but I don't think the ending of Unity was crap. Just forgettable, like the rest of the game. But the end of Origins and its DLC are indeed much, much better than the ending and DLC of Unity.

I think Ubi have written themselves in a corner with the present timeline. That being said, with the Desmond games I hated the present timeline with a passion, but Layla I can toleryand I like the new animus idea.

Don't know if you're familiar with Zelda games but there's a running gag in the fanbase that each newest game is called the worst for some reason, and when the next game releases that one is the worst and suddenly everything the last game did that didn't sit well with people is now what makes it a masterpiece. Wind Waker was the worst because cell shading, then it became what made the game refreshing when Twilight Princess made the graphics realistic and gloomy. Then Twilight Princess was hated for its graphics and being too much like Ocarina Of Time, until Skyward Sword came around and deviated too much from the path with its origins story and cheery graphics. Now that Breath Of The Wild is like a large Ocarina Of Time variation with minimalistic story, people say Skyward Sword was underrated. Sheesh.

Where the hell did you get it from that it's an animus effect? Because I always thought it's something that the historical person you play as also experienced, getting to talk to the target as they die thanks to thought bonding, something they can do thanks to having precursor blood just like they can do eagle vision. I think that was even the official explanation during AC1, when people complained about how a target can blab for so long after being fatally stabbed.

And come on, a bit less on the language please. I get that you don't like the game and I respect that, but that doesn't make it foul, disgusting, shitty or vile. There's enough people (even just in this thread) thinking its changes make Assassin's Creed Origins the best AC game yet.

The "white room" effect you see during a memory corridor is an effect of the Animus. In reality, Ezio (for example) is still in the fort/compound/street/whatever, the Animus is just removing all that information because it's not really relevant, all that is relevant is the dying words of the target and Ezio's responses. Ezio is having that conversation, but not in a white room like the way it is presented to us. Just like how the "Eagle Vision" effect is something the Animus does. Ezio doesn't actually see targets in red or gold or blue, that's the Animus simulating Ezio's instincts to help out the Animus user. I remember reading an interview with one of the AC devs that confirmed memory corridors are only seen by the Animus user, but I can't seem to find it again for some reason. The only link that may have been relevant that I could find is 7 years old and now re-directs to a random Youtube channel.

And no, sorry. They have butchered my favourite franchise and there is no word strong enough to describe my bitter sadness at the result.

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

The "white room" effect you see during a memory corridor is an effect of the Animus. In reality, Ezio (for example) is still in the fort/compound/street/whatever, the Animus is just removing all that information because it's not really relevant, all that is relevant is the dying words of the target and Ezio's responses. Ezio is having that conversation, but not in a white room like the way it is presented to us. Just like how the "Eagle Vision" effect is something the Animus does. Ezio doesn't actually see targets in red or gold or blue, that's the Animus simulating Ezio's instincts to help out the Animus user. I remember reading an interview with one of the AC devs that confirmed memory corridors are only seen by the Animus user, but I can't seem to find it again for some reason. The only link that may have been relevant that I could find is 7 years old and now re-directs to a random Youtube channel.

Interesting idea. It felt to me that it was a mind meld and that's why the talk could take so long despite the target being pretty much dead. 

I can't find any direct confirmation on this, but lots of reddit and other forum talk, that it's thanks to the precursor blood that you're still able to hold discussions. Personally I figured, since Origins goes so far back, the precursor DNA is less diluted so it goes a little bit freaky with heavy symbolism thanks to the target's beliefs and the people's idea of the afterlife.

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

And no, sorry. They have butchered my favourite franchise and there is no word strong enough to describe my bitter sadness at the result.

Too bad that tou feel that way. Heavy changes in a franchise often break the fanbase. Personally I'm in the group saying Assassin's Creed has never been better. It's my favourite franchise too, at least regarding current day AAA third party franchises. And Odyssey finally giving me the option to play a full game as a female character made me immediately interested in the game (plus, I theorised somewhere here in the forum that the game after Odyssey would take place in Greece, and it's cool that that's true even if I was wrong in thinking the game would follow the plotline and possibly even characters of Origins.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I quite liked Origins for the setting and parts of the historical story, you could really tell though that they were trying something new from a structural point of view and it often was a bit rough around the edges. Odyssey wasn't perfect, but I thought it built on the formula they began in Origins quite well.

I feel like they don't really know where to take the modern day components of the story, it's like Lost, where you found out about halfway through it's seasons that the writers had no idea where they were going with the story and just added stuff as they went. I honestly feel that they don't know what they are doing on that front and the more they let it float there in the background, the harder it'll be for them to pull it back.

• 5 months later...

The modern day storyline is a joke. 

Honestly they should of made it where you play as Shaun Hastings. He’s the only guy I remotely like anymore. Rebecca has been changed numerous times to the point where I wonder if Ubisoft cares at all anymore. It’s like a different team makes the present story for every new Assassins Creed game. 

There just hasn’t been anyone compelling since Desmond died. 2 and Brotherhood had the best present day story as four Assassins hiding from the eyes of Abstergo do what they can to survive. Ubisoft killed off two of them and the other two mostly serve in the distant background. 

Origins has a female protagonist but she is hardly worth a damn. The present day is just a mere backdrop as opposed to being a part of the main picture like it was in the older games. 

I’m also not a huge fan of Bayek and from what I’ve played the story isn’t all that great. Voice acting could of been better from the various NPCs. The scenery, the setting and the timeline are the best features of Origins.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

The story is meh at best, not as bad as in other entries (sorry Unity I really just don't like your nonsense) but definetly not at the peak either , as it was with Ezio. Bayek is an OK main character but he shines only in sidequests imo, the main quest is vengeance and stuff, doesn't make me pay much attention. Oh well since AC black flag I started considering these game more "stabby historical lessons " and less assassin's creed anyway.

And I agree as above, bring Shaun back! he was the best.

4 hours ago, Copanele said:

The story is meh at best, not as bad as in other entries (sorry Unity I really just don't like your nonsense) but definetly not at the peak either , as it was with Ezio. Bayek is an OK main character but he shines only in sidequests imo, the main quest is vengeance and stuff, doesn't make me pay much attention. Oh well since AC black flag I started considering these game more "stabby historical lessons " and less assassin's creed anyway.

I love the history and setting of Ancient Egypt. It just doesn’t feel all too Assassins Creed anymore. 

I think both Origins and Odyssey could of been their own IP. Arguably Ubisoft made these games the way they are because of the criticism they got with Unity. 

Syndicate is probably my favorite “recent” entry. It was set at the right length and the area wasn’t too overwhelming. The Frye Twins provided a little comedy relief. Despite some warm receptions the game didn’t do as well as it could have. 

Odyssey in all its glory and splendor feels and looks entirely different from the Assassins Creed I love. It’s awesome that it takes place in Ancient Greece which was one of the most interesting locations and historical outlooks of all time. But Jesus, it definitely doesn’t feel Assassins Creed.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

@Spaz exactly as you mentioned ,this doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed anymore, with the exception of Syndicate (oddly enough it was one of my most favourite entries in the series although I understand the fatigue AC was showing).

The setting is another thing altogether. Honestly I believe Ubisoft did a marvellous job by recreating ancient Egypt and Greece. The only solution I have come up with is to play those games as they would be their own original IP that happen to be in the AC universe. It's not what I usually do but I had to detach myself from the not-so-good story just to fully enjoy the setting because dear lord those games do deliver. Especially the combat, I prefer the dark souls-esque combat ripoff to the parry/riposte/kill everything and everyone that was kinda in all the games up to this point. Makes me want to actually approach the enemies stealthily.

So  yes strictly on-topic of this forum ,  story kinda sucks, Bayek ain't as fun as I'd wish him to be, I prefer Alexios over Kassandra with his "Malaka" grunting but concerning the 4 hours I have in Oddysey I bet it will be some Isu nonsense again and Assassin's creed is long dead storywise. Off-topic... the games are brilliant. Sorry for those who hate them just for the story but these games ARE GOOD. Perfect setting,solid soundtrack, awesome gameplay, it just works this time. Maps are abit bloated but well it wouldn't be Ubisoft without a buttload of chests across the map lol.  

I believe someone should do a banner with " It's an awesome game , just not an Assasin Creed game" xD  It would solve so many disputes

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Especially the combat, I prefer the dark souls-esque combat ripoff to the parry/riposte/kill everything and everyone that was kinda in all the games up to this point. Makes me want to actually approach the enemies stealthily.

A dumbed down version of Dark Souls. Dark Souls rewards the player for learning the game mechanics, here in both Origins and Odyssey a 12 year old kid can get the mechanics down pat.

Assassins Creed was never entirely on the combat. It was about linking the past to the present, Abstergo being a big contributor to that and you had an average guy take on the roles of his past ancestors. That is pretty much gone, it's now a story just because, even if everyone tells me Odyssey's story is top notch.

53 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Off-topic... the games are brilliant. Sorry for those who hate them just for the story but these games ARE GOOD. Perfect setting,solid soundtrack, awesome gameplay, it just works this time. Maps are abit bloated but well it wouldn't be Ubisoft without a buttload of chests across the map lol. 

The soundtrack is more ambient. Jesper Kyd still provided the best music in the Assassins Creed series. Shame he's no longer around.

Gameplay is more akin to a traditional RPG style. Stealth doesn't feel as rewarding because it's much easier. Everything in Origins and Odyssey feels much easier. Definitely made for casual players.

Both games are good, but because I know Ubisoft, they could of been a bit better. For one, what would make them a lot better is if they got rid of all the goddamn collectibles. I pretty much expect all Ubisoft games to have more than their share of collectibles, usually boring collectibles that add nothing interesting.

• 1 month later...

This thread is a bit dated but I have to say my peace. 

I'm 33. When the first AC came out I was in my early twenties. I was a prime target audience for this game. And it fucking sucked!!!! Ultra restrictive. Boring as all shit. It was basically like reading a book you didn't care about at all. 

Because of my first bad taste with the franchise, I did a full stop. I hear AC2 is legendary but AC1 was so awful I deemed it as another man's game and moved on. 

Then a sale happened for AC Origins and I got it. Thinking it's a shit game from the start. I played it for about 4 hours and thought yep! Its another boring slog. But after trying my hardest to complete The Witcher 3 in its infinitely boring gameplay and story I thought this game would be better. And it was. 

Basically,  this game made me a lover of assassin's creed for the first time. I know many will call me a plebeian or whatever, but it's the first time this franchise clicked for me. I can't wait for Odyssey now. They got rid of all the bullshit. It's a better game for it. 

I know the diehards who preach wanting the old AC back, but fuck y'all. Go read a history book instead. This game was ACTUALLY FUN. 

nope I don't agree.. you should try explore the whole world and things will get interesting , at least for me, when you found the plot that everything is fake and it's actually future that our world has come to an end at 21 dec 2012 prior to the game.. haha.. it hints the infinite loop of time and explain the animus.. 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:56 PM, nikolistary said:

This thread is a bit dated but I have to say my peace. 

I'm 33. When the first AC came out I was in my early twenties. I was a prime target audience for this game. And it fucking sucked!!!! Ultra restrictive. Boring as all shit. It was basically like reading a book you didn't care about at all. 

Because of my first bad taste with the franchise, I did a full stop. I hear AC2 is legendary but AC1 was so awful I deemed it as another man's game and moved on. 

Then a sale happened for AC Origins and I got it. Thinking it's a shit game from the start. I played it for about 4 hours and thought yep! Its another boring slog. But after trying my hardest to complete The Witcher 3 in its infinitely boring gameplay and story I thought this game would be better. And it was. 

Basically,  this game made me a lover of assassin's creed for the first time. I know many will call me a plebeian or whatever, but it's the first time this franchise clicked for me. I can't wait for Odyssey now. They got rid of all the bullshit. It's a better game for it. 

I know the diehards who preach wanting the old AC back, but fuck y'all. Go read a history book instead. This game was ACTUALLY FUN. 

Yeah Fuck everybody that wants a series to make sense and stick to its lore and historical accuracy. Such an aggressive response. Don’t be such and dick. You thought the old games were restrictive, that’s the way it should be, not every series needs to be for everybody. The direction they’ve taken the series just sucks, it’s nothing but a generic RPG series now.

30 minutes ago, JunPei_TGB said:

nope I don't agree.. you should try explore the whole world and things will get interesting , at least for me, when you found the plot that everything is fake and it's actually future that our world has come to an end at 21 dec 2012 prior to the game.. haha.. it hints the infinite loop of time and explain the animus.. 

Shouldn’t take the exploring the “whole world” to be good.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 5:20 AM, Dark Prince said:

If you think Origins has the worst story you definitely haven’t played all AC games that’s for sure. For AC standards, Origins has a very interesting story.

I wouldn't say very interesting, but definitely not the worst. I'd put it in the middle of the pack somewhere.

Having played every AC game (except for Chronicles Russia/India), I can share a few personal opinions:

• Worst game: Unity
  • Worst story: Unity
  • Most boring protagonist: Connor (Bayek is a close second)
  • Most underrated: Syndicate (although Rogue is a close second)
  • Most overrated: 2 (still good, but I like Revelations better)
Edited by JABing
  • Like 1

It was nice to discover the origin of the Assassins. Time period and setting are awesome plus there are Romans so i'm pretty happy (always wished an AC game with Ancient Romans), i liked how Greeks were the bad oppressors at first but then Romans took over that role in late game, and, you can also visit Rome but only as part of a mission unfortunately...

About the protagonist Bayek i can affirm that he's now one of my favorite AC protagonists (other being Ezio, Edward and to a minor extent Arno). I enjoyed Bayek's story but i hate the character Aya. 

Edited by DeathNyx

• 8 months later...
On 28/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, Copanele said:

This is why this game is good, the main character get more development in the side quest, this is a real good thing in my opinion, and Bayek in my opinion is a very good character, maybe one of the best one in the series (Ezio is stil the best one), IMHO.

Edited by FlareZero
  • Like 1

The story is good, not great or anything. The first two acts take wayyy to long and the final act is kinda forgetable, but AC Syndicate is awful story wise (I actually think the antagonist is right in that one, so...). Bayek is amazing and deserves a sequel, and the birth of the brotherhood is the real star of the game.

• Like 2