DLC trophies' rarity is now based on who owns the DLC

Sly Ripper

I know this is getting off the real subject - but the more I hear about a top 5 or 10 trophy case for the Preemies, the more I like that idea.

I think this would quell some (not all) of the members gripes that, as a result of this DLC trophy change, have found that they do not like their new top 5 and don't feel it's a true representation of their top 5 rarest/proudest/prestigious/whatever. 

The question I would have is, how much data storage does this take to implement and how does it affect the loading of trophy pages and how the heck would sly even pull it off?  It could be quite an infrastructure behind the scenes just to implement something like this.  Seems like it opens up a whole new can of worms as far as bugs and problems.  How often do you let members revise their trophy case?  How does it get updated?  Maybe these are easy answers but I do not know. 

I think the Trophy Case should work like the PS3Trophies one. I would link to my one, but not sure if I'm allowed outside links? I couldn't find forum rules, so I assume I'm allowed to. Here is my PS3T profile. In it are 100% clubs, where when you achieve a 100% list on a game you update it and put it on there, then there are the checklists which is really what this site was made for anyway, and a selection of different kind of trophies. "Pain-in-the-ass trophy", "Never again!" and "Proudest Trophy" as examples.

I love seeing my 100%s all in one place like on PS3T, and although PSNP has a feature like that I feel it's better laid out on PS3T. The "P-i-t-a" trophy I mentioned earlier could be a trophy you worked hard to get, then you could add another section PS3T doesn't have like "Rarest DLC Trophy" where either you (or automatically via the new system, although that doesn't help this problem or make it worse) choose which you think would have been the rarest or find another trophy site for the old system (this is the only site I have decided is reliable though...) to fill it in. 

Although it would be done manually, I think it would be an effective system.

Like others have said though, I would have liked a way to change between the two systems and see them both.

• Like 1

I think the Trophy Case should work like the PS3Trophies one. I would link to my one, but not sure if I'm allowed outside links? I couldn't find forum rules, so I assume I'm allowed to. Here is my PS3T profile. In it are 100% clubs, where when you achieve a 100% list on a game you update it and put it on there, then there are the checklists which is really what this site was made for anyway, and a selection of different kind of trophies. "Pain-in-the-ass trophy", "Never again!" and "Proudest Trophy" as examples.

I love seeing my 100%s all in one place like on PS3T, and although PSNP has a feature like that I feel it's better laid out on PS3T. The "P-i-t-a" trophy I mentioned earlier could be a trophy you worked hard to get, then you could add another section PS3T doesn't have like "Rarest DLC Trophy" where either you (or automatically via the new system, although that doesn't help this problem or make it worse) choose which you think would have been the rarest or find another trophy site for the old system (this is the only site I have decided is reliable though...) to fill it in. 

Although it would be done manually, I think it would be an effective system.

Like others have said though, I would have liked a way to change between the two systems and see them both.

I like the idea of a top 10 proudest a lot more than the convolution and sillyness associated with a "pain in the ass" trophy or whatever. To me, the way they have it set up on .org is incredibly gimmicky. I love the simplicity and the "clean", sleak look this site goes for. A simple top 10 of your most favourite is much more appealing.

• Like 1

I know this is getting off the real subject - but the more I hear about a top 5 or 10 trophy case for the Preemies, the more I like that idea.

I think this would quell some (not all) of the members gripes that, as a result of this DLC trophy change, have found that they do not like their new top 5 and don't feel it's a true representation of their top 5 rarest/proudest/prestigious/whatever. 

The question I would have is, how much data storage does this take to implement and how does it affect the loading of trophy pages and how the heck would sly even pull it off?  It could be quite an infrastructure behind the scenes just to implement something like this.  Seems like it opens up a whole new can of worms as far as bugs and problems.  How often do you let members revise their trophy case?  How does it get updated?  Maybe these are easy answers but I do not know. 

I like this idea as well and from a business point of view, making it a premium feature would be a good idea for obvious reasons.  The best thing about this site is that the owner is willing to listen to what the users want and implement those ideas and I guess only he knows if it's a good idea or not. Even though I've not been a member for long the fact that this site keeps improving because of user input and having an owner who is willing to listen and implement new features is one of the main reasons I like using the site and being a part of the community. 

• Like 2

I see this from two point of views.

1. The old way. Where DLC trophies were counted for everyone, even though maybe half of them never even had purchased the DLC. Which made most DLC trophies ultra rare. Which, in most cases, is wrong and misleading.

2. The new way. Where DLC trophies are counted for those who have at least one trophy from the DLC pack. Which is wrong because there COULD be people who have purchased the DLC but not earned a single trophy from it and thus not counted into the statistics.

As you see, both way on doing this IS WRONG! NEITHER WAY WILL GIVE A TRUE/CORRECT NUMBER!

HOWEVER! The second (new) way is LESS WRONG. So I gladly support this.

This pretty much sums up both sides of the argument right here. Bottom line is the rarity of the DLC trophies was skewed horribly before this change was made. The only reason they were rare trophies is because everyone is forced to have the DLC trophies patched over as new updates, it was based nothing on how hard the trophy was. Personally as a gamer I dont like to purchase DLC, if its a great game that I know will have DLC I will get the GOTY edition. As for the second point, it is by far LESS WRONG and this is a great idea implemented. Lets give Sly some time to work out the kinks and implement a filter and then everyone will be happy. Keep up the god work Sly this site rocks all day everyday!

I really do think that the majority of the people who are in favour of this decision either weren't really affected by the change (dropped from like 30 ultra rares to 10 or something) or they're just brown nosing. There are definitely arguments from the other side of the fence but so many of these posts are praising you Sly instead of the actual system you've implemented.

Anyway, as long as the dlc %'s are massively skewed and clowns like warfigher are still on the leaderboard (despite multiple reports and screenshot proof of his hacked time stamps), I feel that this site isn't credible. That's my $0.02.

Got the same feeling when I read through this topic & saw the moderators maliciously referring to their own site users/fellow gamers/ peers that enjoy DLC or bother to purchase it, as "DLC-Weasels", and other such nonsense... What if people just like the game and want to play more? Or just happend to pick up the GOTY?

Lots of us said that we were simply suggesting ways to make everyone happy and really didnt mind the way Sly changed up things. Most users in support of the site change took it as a cue to jump to the defense of Sly and totally bash the opinions or ideas of others. This was the first time I found the atmosphere of the site anything but friendly. Didnt expect to see that from Mods.

Edited by Steema
  • Like 1

Got the same feeling when I read through this topic & saw the moderators maliciously referring to their own site users/fellow gamers/ peers that enjoy DLC or bother to purchase it, as "DLC-Weasels", and other such nonsense... What if people just like the game and want to play more? Or just happend to pick up the GOTY?

Lots of us said that we were simply suggesting ways to make everyone happy and really didnt mind the way Sly changed up things. Most users in support of the site change took it as a cue to jump to the defense of Sly and totally bash the opinions or ideas of others. This was the first time I found the atmosphere of the site anything but friendly. Didnt expect to see that from Mods.

So in other words

:P

• Like 1

I like the old system better.  I never seen the rarity trophies as the rate of difficulty but as x players got the trophy vs x players got the game.   I do understand the new system as well.  I wish there's an option to switch between the old system and new system.  There is a third option is to have an extra column for rarest trophies.  One showing the old system with dlc included and one without dlc included in the game the new system.  That way it will please both parties and the ones who are interested in statistics in general.  I like see my rarity trophies go up but even more to see them going down as well.  Like any new dlc like skyrim dlc rarity level with time it will go down to common.  If my terminology is right.

Edited by Timo_Marrinsbane

I can only assume that you are referring to my post earlier in the thread (However if I'm wrong, please accept my apology.)  If you re-read it I think you'll find that I stated that I had no issue with those who had legitimate reasoning behind their posts / complaints against the new system.  It was the posts that were not constructive and consisted of bitching and whining that I had my issues with.

Eburk and I don't always agree with Sly, but on this one I guess we do.  In regards to post bashing, please use the report function and state why, and we will moderate without prejudice. (Well, eburk will, I'm pretty prejudiced though. ;) )

• Like 1

I really do think that the majority of the people who are in favour of this decision either weren't really affected by the change (dropped from like 30 ultra rares to 10 or something) or they're just brown nosing. There are definitely arguments from the other side of the fence but so many of these posts are praising you Sly instead of the actual system you've implemented. 

Yes i'm one of the people who doesn't have many ultra rare trophies who agree with this change, before you attack me as you have in the past for not being a 'high level trophy hunter' regardless I'm still allowed my say in how I feel about this change, I feel this way is more accurate and beneficial for the site, yes not 100% perfect but better. I'm also not 'brown-nosing' nor do I feel people who agree with this change are, this is a ridiculous statement.

I started on ygc and moved over to psnp because I love the site. I even paid for premium membership. The layout is fantastic and all the ways you can break down and organize your trophies is amazing. I especially like the trophy log and rarity sorting options. This site has things on it that ygc just doesn't. But after this change dlc %'s are completely and utterly useless. They're actually more than useless, they're extremely misleading. I've since gone back to ygc and I'm finding many new changes that I overlooked since psnp was my primary trophy website. I still type psnprofiles out of habit and come to the site only to remember that the %'s are so skewed that there's no point in even looking at them anymore.

If you have moved back to YGC and only come here to remember the skewed %s they would do you continue to post your opinions (which are always the same) here over and over again. Why not just move on completely and not come here to try and stir the pot?

Could you please state where people were referring to as this? Save me going back through the page and not being able to find it.

Anyway, as long as the dlc %'s are massively skewed and clowns like warfigher are still on the leaderboard (despite multiple reports and screenshot proof of his hacked time stamps), I feel that this site isn't credible. That's my $0.02. 

. Also please direct me to a leaderboard that is credible, surely with your knowledge you must know of one that is 100% clean of cheaters

Yes i'm one of the people who doesn't have many ultra rare trophies who agree with this change, before you attack me as you have in the past for not being a 'high level trophy hunter' regardless I'm still allowed my say in how I feel about this change, I feel this way is more accurate and beneficial for the site, yes not 100% perfect but better. I'm also not 'brown-nosing' nor do I feel people who agree with this change are, this is a ridiculous statement.

If you have moved back to YGC and only come here to remember the skewed %s they would do you continue to post your opinions (which are always the same) here over and over again. Why not just move on completely and not come here to try and stir the pot?

Could you please state where people were referring to as this? Save me going back through the page and not being able to find it.

. Also please direct me to a leaderboard that is credible, surely with your knowledge you must know of one that is 100% clean of cheaters

Well psntrophyleaders is about as close to a perfect leaderboard as you can get. This site's not bad at all but if you intend to defend warfigher's legitimacy, you really need to stop talking because you have no idea what you're talking about.

As far as you having every right to post, yes you do. However when you call people for retarded for not agreeing with your opinion (I believe the post was probably deleted), I really don't care what you say. I don't respect your opinion anymore because you sound like a child.

I said I use ygc for %'s now because the %'s here are now skewed. I rarely use this forum apart from when major changes occur like the hacking leaderboard being implemented or this new change. If you think that voicing opinions that don't agree with you only serve to stir the pot, then again, I don't respect your opinion because that's ridiculous. If everyone always agreed on everything and anyone who opposed were just "pot stirrers" the world would be terrible. I'll change my opinions when new evidence is presented to me, none of your posts have actually served to contribute to the discussion and usually consist of sucking up to mods or bashing others. 

You could be a member of MENSA for all I know but you sound like an idiot. I may be hypocritical by bashing you but at least I have evidence (your posts). You just make baseless and stupid accusations against people who don't agree with you. 

Edited by mattybell2117

This is a matter of opinion.

If you prefer other leaderboards, that's fine, voice it, but I still amazed that such a little change can create such animosity ...

It may be a small change for you but I have 3x more trophies than you do and I lost 160 ultra rares trophies. This reinforces my previous statement that many people in favour of the change weren't overly affected by it. There are higher level people that are in favour and the lower level hunters still have a voice, but my statement still stands. 

However it's not really a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it's a worse system, that's a matter of opinion. The %'s being skewed are indisputable. Look back a page or two, there's evidence for it. Go play Spelunker HD's dlc and tell me it should be 87+% or Arkham City's dlc and tell me that it deserves to be 99.78% or whatever it is. That's not even close to accurate. 

Edited by mattybell2117

It may be a small change for you but I have 3x more trophies than you do and I lost 160 ultra rares trophies. This reinforces my previous statement that many people in favour of the change weren't overly affected by it. There are higher level people that are in favour and the lower level hunters still have a voice, but my statement still stands. 

However it's not really a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it's a worse system, that's a matter of opinion. The %'s being skewed are indisputable. Look back a page or two, there's evidence for it. Go play Spelunker HD's dlc and tell me it should be 87+% or Arkham City's dlc and tell me that it deserves to be 99.78% or whatever it is. That's not even close to accurate. 

Oh my ... ok, I'm going to answer without trolling you (I hope)

Again it is a matter of opinion. But at the end of the day, it is what it is. Even if this was a democracy, only 10-15% of people are complaining, so either way it seems to be working.

I'm sorry that you think rarity of trophy = difficulty, but others don't see it that way, that life, your reality isn't everyone elses.

I will not add any more to make sure I do as promised.

Have a good day :)

It looks like the people that really disagree with this option are the ones that lost a lot of ultra rare trophies (like in the 100s).  I agree with this change.  Honestly a lot of these rare trophies are real easy to do.  Before the change, 3/5 of my rarest trophies were from the DLC of NBA 2K12.  Those trophies are real easy to do.  Rarity doesn't equal difficulty in most games.  I think folks are just salty because of this case.

Edited by grimydawg

It's true, the percentages for some of the DLC are skewed with the new system; it's not perfect for technical reasons on Sony's end. However, before all the percentages for DLC trophies were totally meaningless. They didn't tell you anything at all about the trophy. I don't see why anyone would consider this the better system.

Edited by nauGie

HAHAHA!  Oh gyad.  You guys are grasping at straws now.  What a horrible, malicious person I am.  You sure do have a flair for the dramatic.  Totally taken out of context.  I was responding to people who are butthurt over all their ultra-rare trophies that were super easy to begin with being skewed in the other direction due to the change.  Has nothing to do with people that buy DLC, enjoy it, got GOTY or whatever.  (I buy more DLC than most people on this site, that's why it was said in jest)  I lost 100's of trophies due to this change, but it doesn't even matter because it affects everyone the same way.  I'm not saying it's perfect, but I do think it's 'better'  If you think it sucks, that's fine too.

Has nothing to do with mis-skewed exceptions like The Batman AC Nightwing'esque trophies that are a misrepresentation of skill or difficulty, if you read back at my other posts, you will see that. 

• Like 1

this topic is just so funny to read but here I go, can everyone that is so erm buthurt about this stop and think a little, if the trophy is rare just because I need to buy the DLC and play it casualy, it does not mean that the trophy is actually rare, it just means that there is not so many people that played the DLC,also it makes no sense to compare DLC trophies with the people who don't own the DLC, that is the same as wanting to have a trophy rarity based on all gamers and not only the ones who own the game...

• Like 1

It's true, the percentages for some of the DLC are skewed with the new system; it's not perfect for technical reasons on Sony's end. However, before all the percentages for DLC trophies were totally meaningless. They didn't tell you anything at all about the trophy. I don't see why anyone would consider this the better system.

Yes they did, you just needed to do a bit more research. You could look at how many people earned the trophy overall, how many people played the game, etc. For instance with a popular game if the dlc was over a couple percent there was a good chance that it's not overly hard because a lot of people played it. However if there were very few people who earned the trophy even though it's a very popular game (like with Dishonoured for instance) you could tell that the trophy was likely very tough. Now the %'s are all over the board, 87% trophies are harder than 14% trophies. 

I'm not the one that thinks difficulty of the trophy should be the only thing that goes into the rarity. In fact I think quite the opposite. That's what most people who support the change think. Supporters are saying this trophy and that trophy are easy so they shouldn't be ultra rare. I was one of the people saying that difficulty shouldn't be the only thing that goes into the rarity of the trophy however with that being said, having ridiculously high %'s for trophies that are exceedingly difficult is not accurate. It essentially boils down to whether you'd rather have some potentially easy trophies look hard or have hard trophies look easy. I prefer having easy trophies look hard and I think having hard trophies look easy is misleading in a negative way. Having someone think a trophy is hard and find out it's easy doesn't hurt anyone. Having someone think a hard trophy is easy causes people to potentially buy something they otherwise wouldn't have because of the perceived difficulty of a 99% trophy. 

Edited by mattybell2117
  • Like 3

I'm not the one that thinks difficulty of the trophy should be the only thing that goes into the rarity. In fact I think quite the opposite.

:hmm: okay,sure but that's not how it goes, if that was how it goes then it would not comply only for DLC's but for the games too which would lead to the games that are sold less having more rare trophies

:hmm: okay,sure but that's not how it goes, if that was how it goes then it would not comply only for DLC's but for the games too which would lead to the games that are sold less having more rare trophies

That's not true. I have the Cyberbike 2 platinum which is at like 10% or something last time I checked and that game only sold a couple hundred copies at most. 

And you can't now ?

The straws are getting smaller each post ...

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're telling me that I'm basing my opinions strictly on difficulty when I'm doing the opposite. That's what supporters are doing. You can keep adding in these stupid little jabs at the end of all your posts but unless you actually know what you're talking about you just look like a troll. Again, you can keep saying that the %'s being off now are a matter of opinion but again, they're not. Find me someone who thinks that 99.78% of people who bought the Arkham City dlc got 78 medals and I'll show you a dumbass. 

Edited by mattybell2117

Yes they did, you just needed to do a bit more research. You could look at how many people earned the trophy overall, how many people played the game, etc. For instance with a popular game if the dlc was over a couple percent there was a good chance that it's not overly hard because a lot of people played it. However if there were very few people who earned the trophy even though it's a very popular game (like with Dishonoured for instance) you could tell that the trophy was likely very tough. Now the %'s are all over the board, 87% trophies are harder than 14% trophies. 

I'm not the one that thinks difficulty of the trophy should be the only thing that goes into the rarity. In fact I think quite the opposite. That's what most people who support the change think. Supporters are saying this trophy and that trophy are easy so they shouldn't be ultra rare. I was one of the people saying that difficulty shouldn't be the only thing that goes into the rarity of the trophy however with that being said, having ridiculously high %'s for trophies that are exceedingly difficult is not accurate. It essentially boils down to whether you'd rather have some potentially easy trophies look hard or have hard trophies look easy. I prefer having easy trophies look hard and I think having hard trophies look easy is misleading in a negative way. Having someone think a trophy is hard and find out it's easy doesn't hurt anyone. Having someone think a hard trophy is easy causes people to potentially buy something they otherwise wouldn't have because of the perceived difficulty of a 99% trophy. 

Interesting points - maybe difficulty shouldn't be the only thing that goes into rarity.  Something to ponder I guess.  I still think it's all relative though.

And, I just question your motives a LITTLE bit.  Do you really care about you and/or other members falling into a "trophy-trap" and buying DLC that they thought was easy based on information obtained here and then later found out they were much harder than they thought or is maybe your ego bruised a little due to elimination of so many ultra rares you acquired in the old system?