DLC trophies' rarity is now based on who owns the DLC

Sly Ripper

Well I think it's a great idea but kinda destroy peoples profiles a bit. I bought "grand theft auto  episodes of Liberty City" which is the DLC only side of GTA4 and they only account for 15 trophies. If I earn a trophy, it will look like a I have the full game which I don't . 

Well I think it's a great idea but kinda destroy peoples profiles a bit. I bought "grand theft auto  episodes of Liberty City" which is the DLC only side of GTA4 and they only account for 15 trophies. If I earn a trophy, it will look like a I have the full game which I don't .

That's a good point, there are different versions that should be separated. However it is Sony's fault by not separating them properly.

Which makes me think... what about the GOTY version of Borderlands? I believe there is a version with the DLC being part of the original trophy list, while in the other version, they're separated. (see version 1 and version 2). What happens with those?

That's how it would have always been, even before you earn a trophy.

How does this affect DC Universe? You cant earn trophies in the game unless you are Legendary  and as legendary you have access to all dlc therefore the dlc for this game should not be affected by this change.

Edited by BALLZ

That's a good point, there are different versions that should be separated. However it is Sony's fault by not separating them properly.

Which makes me think... what about the GOTY version of Borderlands? I believe there is a version with the DLC being part of the original trophy list, while in the other version, they're separated. (see version 1 and version 2). What happens with those?

I think the coders mess up on their part. If DLC is not connected to the full retail game requiring it to play then it should be separated from the game save data for trophies.

I think some people here are complaining here because they've lost some ultra rare trophies.  For the most part the DLC trophies are pretty easy anyway.  I personally like this system.  I personally didn't like 3 out of my top 5 rarest trophies to be from DLC.  It's not like your trophy count is different.  I don't see what the fuss is about.  I still have close to 30 ultra are plats.  So I'm good :D

any of them are difficult. One of my hardest trophies was "Heretic" from the Warhammer 40k game. Only 200 people have the trophy and its now at 30%, which is pretty absurd and obviously skewed more than it was before.

I was close to tears when I noticed this. This trophy alone took me weeks of trying. Now seeing that it's almost 30% "uncommon" just doesn't seem right.

I don't see what all the fuss is about really. It makes absolute sense changing the way the dlc trophies were set up. It's only logical that the % takes only those into consideration that actually have the DLC, sure it's not perfect as it is at the moment, yet it is still more accurate than before.

Anyhow, it's just bloody numbers and statistics in the end. Last time I checked there's no one handing out cookies to those who have the lowest % ;).

You didn't get a cookie?

Okay, so I immediately didn't like this change... mostly because I lost over 100 ultra rares (roughly 1 inch of my e-penis  :().  After reading through all 7 pages of this thread, I've been on an emotional roller coaster agreeing with one side then the other and back again.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this change.

I don't really care that much about the ultra rare trophy counts after all... I did upon first noticing the change but, in all honesty they don't matter that much. As somebody (or multiple people) have stated, many of those Ultra rare trophies were not all that difficult and probably not deserving of that rarity status.

If I have an issue with this change, it's probably going to boil down to consistency. One's game, and overall, completion % should also be affected by this same criteria change. It won't help me too much as I have been going back through my games and buying the DLC to get my % improved. I'm sure many people's completion % would go up drastically if you make the same change in that calculation (might even offset the trophy rarity butt-hurt).

This is just a change that we will have to get used to. These new percentages do better represent the trophy rarity; you can't deny that - even if you don't like it. Now we just need to evaluate how "difficult" a trophy may be (especially DLC) by how many people have, potentially, attempted to earn it. If the DLC is a separated list - like most are now - you can determine the number of people that own it.

• Like 4

I was close to tears when I noticed this. This trophy alone took me weeks of trying. Now seeing that it's almost 30% "uncommon" just doesn't seem right.

You didn't get a cookie?

Nope, apparently they were all out of the chocolate chip ones already -_-...

Back on topic though. From what I can tell, the thing that bothers most of those who aren't pleased with this change, is that trophies that were particularly difficult to obtain from the dlc content, don't show as low percentage trophies like they used to. And thus believe that they were "robbed" of a sense of achievement/accomplishment. Now see, this kind of baffles me... I mean, there should be a personal sense of accomplishment regardless of whether the trophy shows high or low percentage, simply due to the fact of obtaining said trophy in the first place.

Mind you I'm not trying to create some sort of argument here, I'd just like to understand why this seems to be frustrating quite a few folks

• Like 2

Nope, apparently they were all out of the chocolate chip ones already -_-...

Back on topic though. From what I can tell, the thing that bothers most of those who aren't pleased with this change, is that trophies that were particularly difficult to obtain from the dlc content, don't show as low percentage trophies like they used to. And thus believe that they were "robbed" of a sense of achievement/accomplishment. Now see, this kind of baffles me... I mean, there should be a personal sense of accomplishment regardless of whether the trophy shows high or low percentage, simply due to the fact of obtaining said trophy in the first place.

Mind you I'm not trying to create some sort of argument here, I'd just like to understand why this seems to be frustrating quite a few folks

Because people are experiencing something called 'harsh reality' and can't accept that they aren't part of the rarefied air that they thought they were. 

They don't call them "Ultra-Rare" for nothing people!  If you want some ultra-rares or rarer trophies in general, play some tougher games and stop being a DLC-Weasel. 

I have some DLC trophies that I know are not a true representation of the difficulty just like everyone else, that doesn't mean I appreciate them any less.  This is what happens with trophy-based DLC, people who are trophy hunters purchase these DLCs to reattain 100% - deal with it!  The good thing is, like I said earlier in this thread, is that it affects everyone equally so really there is no difference.

Maybe we should just list every single PS3 game on all your accounts and show the ones you have not bought yet at 0%  After all, some people think they deserve distinction for spending money on DLC, so why not take it this far?

Sorry, I'm just tired of people trying to justify this being a bad feature. 

• Like 4

They don't call them "Ultra-Rare" for nothing people!  If you want some ultra-rares or rarer trophies in general, play some tougher games and stop being a DLC-Weasel. 

There's a big difference between rarity and difficulty. In that case it should be called ultra-difficult trophies or something similar. The fact that the DLC trophies are rarer than the regular ones is not going no change.

I don't have much trouble with the new system but I think it was a pointless update.

If I have an issue with this change, it's probably going to boil down to consistency. One's game, and overall, completion % should also be affected by this same criteria change. It won't help me too much as I have been going back through my games and buying the DLC to get my % improved. I'm sure many people's completion % would go up drastically if you make the same change in that calculation (might even offset the trophy rarity butt-hurt).

I think it'd be a lot easier to be on board with this change for some people (at least, for me) if completion percentage was changed based on what DLC packs you are deemed to "own" versus those that you do not. I think that'd be the next logical step forward if this change is permanent.

Edited by BeautifulTorment
  • Like 2

I'm having second thoughts on this thing now, at first I thought it was all good, but unless you guys think of some way to split the DLC on games that don't have DLC split on PSN, then I think you should go back to the way it was before.

I have no problem with losing nearly 100 ultra rare trophies, but I do have a problem with losing 100  ultra rare trophies and them still have 3 of my top 5 trophies being DLC trophies for a game that doesn't have DLC split over PSN...

So I think you should do things right or don't do them at all.

Note: I thought there was implemented a manual DLC split in the past done by Sly, if that was implemented splitting the DLC for older games probably wouldn't be a problem, even if it would took some work to do (still that's just and idea, not sure if it's possible to implement or not).

I told myself my last post was the final time i'd speak on this topic since my brain is already re-programmed to accept this change.  But, i have a suggestion/question.  Is it possible to implement something that allows people to insert whatever trophy they want into their top 5?  I ask this, because it seems this is mainly everyone's concern and they rather "show-off" their most prestigious trophies.  I'm okay with everything as is, so it really doesn't matter to me.  Just looking to see if that feature could help others out! 

• Like 2

I agree with Han, at first I thought this was all good but having read this thread and thought about it and slept on it I kind of prefer the old way. It would go a long way to having me come around if I knew that the old non split dlc's were actually going to be delt with. If it's left like this is just a random mix n match system which is pretty weak.

I told myself my last post was the final time i'd speak on this topic since my brain is already re-programmed to accept this change.  But, i have a suggestion/question.  Is it possible to implement something that allows people to insert whatever trophy they want into their top 5?  I ask this, because it seems this is mainly everyone's concern and they rather "show-off" their most prestigious trophies.  I'm okay with everything as is, so it really doesn't matter to me.  Just looking to see if that feature could help others out! 

I've pondered that idea too.  I would much prefer to set my own 'top 5'  How about top 10?

• Like 2

I've pondered that idea too. I would much prefer to set my own 'top 5' How about top 10?

Going with the idea of using suggestions to improve the changes made to the site, why not simply create a form of poll on each trophy, similar to the tips? If you earned said trophy, you can RATE the difficulty to obtain. This would totally separate the difficulty from the rarity in a visible and accessible way. Then the decision of rarity is even easier to see, if it is rated as a tough S.O.B. to earn, chances are it is.

Edited by Steema

I love this change. This is a nice way to put the rarity numbers of the DLC into a more realistic context. Sure the numbers are skewed since a certain percentage of DLCs are so obnoxious that just owning the DLC is no guarantee of a trophy (looking at you UC3). But overall, the net results are percentages in context. You get a real sense of which DLC trophies are giving the people playing that DLC the most problems. Rather than comparing the difficulty/rarity against the whole game, you're seeing the numbers compared as if the DLC was a stand-alone game. In the old method, the DLC rarity was almost graded on a curve... getting an extra bump in rarity just by being in everyone's list. Now that curve has been removed, you see a more balanced set of numbers. This is a solid improvement to an already fantastic site.