We Happy Few PS4 May Get Banned In Australia.

Nexuds121

22 hours ago, baibai_256 said:

Our ratings board never ceases to disappoint me, I remember back in 2011 I think how excited i was for Syndicate and it got banned completely as well. We Happy Few looks awesome really hope we end up getting it!

Syndicate is a good game, & one of my favorite FPS. 

You got robbed.  Those overzealous censors really need to lighten up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Out of curiosity,  what penalty is handed down if you have an illegal game? Fine? Prison time? Community service? Listening to Katy Perry's music?

After a quick google search it said that the fine can exceed a maximum of 275,000 Australian dollars and/or 10 years in jail. I also found out that Western Australia and specified parts of the Northern Territory do not allow the ownership of reclassified games, but every other state/territory in Australia does.

7 hours ago, Nexuds121 said:

One thing for certain that Australia are easily offended by games that they don't like or don't want in there country.

We're not so much easily offended more like some dipshits are too obsessed with what kids might see. Unfortunately said dipshits are in positions of power.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nimera said:

I remember buying manhunt a few years ago for ps2 and having heard that australia was going to ban the game. this type of action is typical of a country with small-minded leaders.

Oh yeah, Manhunt. Clearly Australia are to easily offended by that very strong violence game back then. Though I don't know why those dumb people in classification board or whatever it is banning it.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:16 AM, Feral said:

We're not so much easily offended more like some dipshits are too obsessed with what kids might see. Unfortunately said dipshits are in positions of power.

The dipshits in power need to quit treating the whole country like a bunch of kids.  They're conservative bastards who need to be voted out.

There are plenty of 10 year olds who play mature-rated games with no issues.  Let the parents decide what their kids see & play. Why not give a game the R18+ instead of banning it? 

A fine of 275,000 AUD ($203,609 US) for owning a banned game... who the hell makes laws like this?  This takes the Fucked Up trophy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

The dipshits in power need to quit treating the whole country like a bunch of kids.  They're conservative bastards who need to be voted out.

There are plenty of 10 year olds who play mature-rated games with no issues.  Let the parents decide what their kids see & play. Why not give a game the R18+ instead of banning it? 

A fine of 275,000 AUD ($203,609 US) for owning a banned game... who the hell makes laws like this?  This takes the Fucked Up trophy.

Yeah they really do, it's pretty fucking annoying. Definitely.

Exactly, unfortunately they're just too bloody stupid to take notice. Of course there is the chance that kid could play it or see it at a friend or older relative's house but still.

My government apparently because banned video games are the real problem here. Shit's fucked.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:59 AM, Spaz said:

Someone should make a game that is about having sex with women. Let's see how the censors react to that.

Like that didn't exist yet. :D

There's always a way to import stuff. While it might be annoying, I feel like such items feel more special to own. 

28 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

The funny thing about all this is that New Zealand generally follows Australia for rating classifications yet it wasn’t banned or potentially banned here and game is only rated R13 (restricted to people 13 and over) here.

Sounds like the kid of whoever is on the rating board really wants to play the game :P .

38 minutes ago, igs63 said:

Good news guys! Sites like kotaku and press start are reporting that We Happy Few has been reclassified to R18+ ... looks like we’ll be getting it after all :)

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/07/we-happy-few-reclassified-r18/

Apparently the devs found a handy trick using some sandpaper one of them had in their pocket to affect the ratings back into their favour :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evertonian said:

Apparently the devs found a handy trick using some sandpaper one of them had in their pocket to affect the ratings back into their favour :)

Cheeky cricket dig, and an Everton fan?! Think we're the same person mate! ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, igs63 said:

Good news guys! Sites like kotaku and press start are reporting that We Happy Few has been reclassified to R18+ ... looks like we’ll be getting it after all :)

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/07/we-happy-few-reclassified-r18/

Stoked to hear that, fucked if I wanted to mess around importing it.

4 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

The funny thing about all this is that New Zealand generally follows Australia for rating classifications yet it wasn’t banned or potentially banned here and game is only rated R13 (restricted to people 13 and over) here.

Just like a younger sibling, got the same rules on most things but some fly under the radar.

3 hours ago, Evertonian said:

Too soon, too soon lol.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 6:22 AM, FilmFanatic said:

NZ did allow Syndicate, just with the R18+ rating.   Seems Australia is a bit harsher.  They've banned more games than NZ.

• 1 month later...