Is it Worth It?: A Veteran's Review

ddracarys

4 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

all 3. I just dont like Uncharted as much. I 5hink it's the comedy aspect of it and the characters. they dont take much serious.

HOWEVER depending how Shadow ends, I will say U4 had a great ending.

but yeah I just like the TR games more. I find them more fun. personal preference I suppose? lol

Yeah well they are quite different. Uncharted is more cartoonish with its humour but I think the characters and writing give it a lot of personality and depth along with great level design and pacing. TR is more serious and has deeper gameplay in terms of leveling up and unlocking things and Lara is a much more solitary character so it would be a preference thing although I would argue Uncharted is better in an objective sense and that Naughty Dog has way more talent. The fact that Tomb Raider is brought up less in Uncharted discussions than the other way around kind of shows Uncharted is strong enough for players to look at it on its own rather than in the context of its competitors and the wider market.

After having beaten this now and currently doing my Deadly Obsession run i can say i don't think this game is a almost flawless masterpiece at a 9 but more around a 6. Slightly above average.

Comparing this to RotTR there isnt a single improvement. AI is stupid, trophies are extremely bad/booring and glitchy. Climbing has never ever been this bad in any game i played. In Uncharted if Nathan reaches for a ledge he always grabs it while Lara grabs it maybe 50% of the time. Which get annoying on DO difficulty.

You can't even put a waypoint on the map incase you get lost oyu need to click a collectible, so if you have collected all collectibles you are screwed if you get lost. 

And what is up with some cutscenes beeing skippable and some not? Seen a few of them several times now on my DO run. 

The extremely long time it takes to slide in between 2 rocks is annoying, Takes about 10 seconds while a fat ass likeme could do that in 1/4 of the time.

Also forced walking in certain areas for no reason whatsoever.

Auto switching gear and cloting for no reason at times forcing you to loose the bonus stat from the gear for certain section of the game.

Forcing player to either save up skills or to play only one style so you can get the trophy for all skills in one category is really lame as is no enemies post game.

Definitely not a 60 Dollar game more like a 30.

Stil had some good moments but the bad stood out alot more to me.

Will be very catious of they ever release another TR game.

• Like 2

I played all ps1 and ps2  tomb raiders and enjoyed angel of darkness also. Of new games, I played only the first one from 2013 seeing it as a reboot and i didnt like it. Didnt like the two sequels as it seamed copy pasted. Also poor new Lara is an innocent survivor girl that murdered hundreds and hundres of millitary veterans/mercenaries... And now I am reading that this is before she became a frickin tomb raider meaning its not a reboot or what? Dont see why 3 games are needed for origins story.... oh right... $$$

Edited by Ptirle
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Never played a Tomb Raider game believe it or not.  

Is this a good one to start with (I’m not interested in going back to ps3 titles)?

Has similarities to Uncharted series I imagine?

Out of the 3 i think the first one is the best, Tomb Raider 2013 and then Rise of the Tomb Raider and after that you got this tragedy of game. 

You should start with the first reboot imo its the best and really cheap atm. If you like it you know to try another one.  You can get all 3 games on PS4.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ddracarys said:

Reviews are, afterall, big pieces of opinionated information.

I like to say first off, that I enjoyed reading your piece. I do like seeing what others think of games, especially when they go into detail about mechanics and features. So thanks for taking your time to write that.

This is where we need to state more facts about the game rather than what we think of these. Every article focuses on their feelings of said mechanic or feature rather than giving a straight number and letting the user come to their decision. This is why I personally dislike the Game Journalism (along of many other jokes they are) as they seem to all follow the same suit and all write from their heart and not the brain. I could say that "the climbing mechanics are boring and repetitive". What can the reader learn from that? Was it my opinion? Was it from a fact in the game? Did something happen to make me say this? However, I would state "there is only 2 new additions to the climbing which the rest are all copied from the older games." I prefer to state the factual issue on the subject and let the reader decide whether they like it or not.

Unfortunately I never see this in articles. :(

5 hours ago, ddracarys said:

I am a long-time fan of the Tomb Raider series

Do you feel this may have played a role in your ratings?

I am a big fan of GTA, but will state when a game is shit. cough GTAV cough

3 hours ago, olliebear66t said:

How did you give it a 6/10 if you hated everything except her hair?

If this was old time ratings, this would have gotten an 4 or 5. but unfortunately these days 6 is a low working game. Thanks paid critics. For the record, I haven't said I hated it at all. I dislike the Quality control of the game. I paid for a broken product. Therefore I will displeased in the broken side.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GTAJJ said:

Do you feel this may have played a role in your ratings?

I am a big fan of GTA, but will state when a game is shit. cough GTAV cough

Why do you think Gta 5 is shit?

I agree the online part is garbage but what is wrong with the SP??

Its probably no masterpiece but its at least decent.

I know quite a few people with the following opinion:

SP: ~8/10

MP 2-3/10

Conclusion: Gta 5 is bad ?

11 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

I agree the online part is garbage but what is wrong with the SP??

Its probably no masterpiece but its at least decent.

I know quite a few people with the following opinion:

SP: ~8/10

MP 2-3/10

Conclusion: Gta 5 is bad ?

That's opinions for you. I loved GTA 5 including the MP (ONLY when playing friends and not randoms) and I thought it was the best GTA to date.

It is missing the customizations however that made GTA San Andreas really stand out. But nevermind that, this thread is about tomb Raider :)

I haven't played shadow yet but I did play TR 2013 and Rise. Both were good but definitely no where no near a 9 or 10 imo. Curious to see however how shadow pales in comparison

42 minutes ago, GoDBoss173 said:

Story was guessable, way too easy and bland (opinion) Did it in under a day.

Has less missions than GTA SA and GTAIV

Has 5 star wanted level

Missing staple side missions - Paramedic, Firefighter etc

Missing 66% of the map. Where is San Ferrio and Las Ventras

Map is mostly hills which are painted and easy to do.

Very small desert

Missing interiors

Missing customisation of characters in SP

Missing Safehouses

Downgraded Bullet crumple physics on Cars

Downgraded handling flags on vehicles

Downgraded mass on vehicles. (speed doesn't not equal mass solely R*)

Stock Market stops after story

Online is money grabbing.

These factual points is what makes me think it is shit.

2 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

That's not a review.

Yes it is. There's nothing stopping writing your opinion, But also writing stating facts about the game in your piece. What can a reader take away from someone else's feelings? I don't know these IGN etc critics on a personal level so how do I know we match up in our opinions? Write factually and allow the reader to come to their conculsions.

15 hours ago, olliebear66t said:

Yeah well they are quite different. Uncharted is more cartoonish with its humour but I think the characters and writing give it a lot of personality and depth along with great level design and pacing. TR is more serious and has deeper gameplay in terms of leveling up and unlocking things and Lara is a much more solitary character so it would be a preference thing although I would argue Uncharted is better in an objective sense and that Naughty Dog has way more talent. The fact that Tomb Raider is brought up less in Uncharted discussions than the other way around kind of shows Uncharted is strong enough for players to look at it on its own rather than in the context of its competitors and the wider market.

Hang about, how can it be better in an "objective" sense? Any assessment of quality is purely up to the person and their perspective.

7 hours ago, SkyMason said:

Hang about, how can it be better in an "objective" sense? Any assessment of quality is purely up to the person and their perspective.

Yeah I mean just in terms of game design it seems that more thought was put into the different components of the game and it had more of a vision. Just seems as though it was made with much more experienced team that knew exactly what they were doing.

8 hours ago, Nimera said:

When someone play something is not for being inferior or superior, he just gave his opinion!

And i gave mine. I wasn't trying to come off rude. I just find Uncharted superior to these Tomb Raider reboots. I enjoy them all though to be honest. Just grabbed Shadow today, enjoying it so far. Doesn't mean I hate the series any.

On 17/09/2018 at 2:22 PM, olliebear66t said:

again to each their own. I grew up on TR. I put it above Uncharted anyday. personal preference. but the seriousness of TR definitely puts it higher in my books.

still Uncharted 4 ending is better than SotTR. proper send off there. 

Uncharted - 2 - 4 - 3 - 1

TR Reboot - 1 - 3 - 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider runs with an uncapped framerate in the performance mode on the PS4 Pro.

What that means is that it scales back the checkerboard resolution it would achieve in resolution mode (I think somewhere arround 1800p) and caps it at 1080p.

The framerate that was capped at 30fps is now unlocked but very rarely reaches 60 fps. The game often runs with a framerate between the mid 40's to the mid 50's.

I think this is the worst way to play the game as it is uneven and judder is present the whole time. The 30fps lock in resolution mode is definitely preferred if you mind consistency.

Either that or you go for the Xbox One X Version which also isn't locked but runs at 60 fps most of the time in perfomance mode.

J

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:35 AM, SanhRim said:

After seeing that the story is a 10/10 i stopped reading.

You might aswell make this the best game of the year with those 9 and 10's lol.

How many points did you give spiderman? A 100/10?

Considering my review of Shadow of the Tomb Raider is heavily built off of personal experiences and opinions with the game specifically (and not any other game in the series), it is only natural for you to disagree. You may have experienced more glitches than me, you may have disliked the story, you may have had difficulties with certain trophies, all things which can build into a negative outlook of the game. This is when it is important to remember that reviews are exclusive to that player's thoughts while playing, not a collective of the player base's thoughts while playing (as much as I did try to cater for all readers). Take Rise of the Tomb Raider for example, a game you mentioned you adore more than Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which is great. In my case, I would disagree because my experience with Rise was one of the most memorable in my gaming career, and they're mostly bad memories (but I won't go into detail about that now since you can read all about it here).

Regarding your question, although rhetorical, it is irrelevant in a topic specific to Tomb Raider, an entirely different genre of game from Spiderman.

• 2 weeks later...

In no particular order:

- Bugs and glitches

- Inventory Full Nag 

- Inconsistent traversal

- Worst Enemy AI of the series

- Deadly Obsession is a poor man's difficulty

- Poor pacing

- Too many combat skills for almost no combat

- Too many weapons for so little combat

- Plenty of outfits but restricted in one major area (see spoiler)

- Slow walking (mostly during radio chatter)

Spoiler

- Paititi was a slog

I'd say it's a 7.5 and that's based on the above which all serve to ruin the experience (some more annoyingly so)

Story is OK but lacks cohesiveness in places - Rise's was better

Jonah was along for the ride but outstayed his welcome after the first main area.

Last few chapters felt rushed

9.10 would indicate it has barely any flaws

HA HA in your dreams.

I'm not a veteran and I appreciate the OP's review but that's certainly not the game I played 

• Like 1

The only thing I will say is that when I check out my games in alphabetic order I don't like Shadow and rise before the tomb raider titles. I like all my tomb raider games together like all God of war games would be all named the same. 

But yeah it's just my 2 cents. 

After multiple playthroughs of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I have been exposed to several different obstacles which were not presented within my initial playthrough. Due to these obstacles, I have edited some scores in my review accordingly, ultimately lowering my verdict to 8/10. My original opinions and experiences with the game have not changed however, which is why I have not edited any of the descriptions, as I still do believe Shadow of the Tomb Raider is an amazing addition to the series. I went through a similar transition with my Rise of the Tomb Raider review, where I had originally given the game a 9/10 and lowered my verdict to 6/10 thereafter. The only difference in that case is that my descriptions did change due to this leap in verdict. Now that I’ve gone through enough playthroughs to practically lip sync the dialogue, I consider myself a professional in the game, therefore do not hesitate to ask any questions regarding Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:38 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

You gave 6/10 to RotTR. What would you give to TR 2013?

This would need an entirely different review to explain (which, after this one, I’m personally done with), but I’d fall on a 7/8 for Tomb Raider (2013).

On 9/17/2018 at 10:24 AM, GTAJJ said:

I'd like to provide a quick counter review.

GAMEPLAY and ENVIRONMENTS 6/10

Only credit to the artists and 3D modellers. Animators and programmers can go do one as most of it is from ROTT, including the same glitches. Copy code, and you get this. It really feels like a DLC to Rise and more so when you realise you can apply all the tactics across the board. It adds a few features, mainly from the basis of the older mechanics and then makes you do them again and again. The environments are where it shines as they actually have to put effort into them and can’t Ctrl+c and Ctrl+V as apparent with the rest of the game.

The textures on the weapons are horrible, especially when you go to upgrade them. You are forced to play a specific way if you would like to get the 100% as the enemies disappear after endgame. There's little player freedom and choice to have control of your skills otherwise you have to play NG+.Side quests were original most of the time and allows you to come back to them in your own time. Using the mud as the level transition is clever but doesn't always work, resulting in a "Wait for Streaming" loading bar anyways, on top of the slow movement, you had to previously endure.

The environments are beautiful and only makes me feel that's where the time and money has gone into, with planning direction to manoeuvre the player around an area without making them feel they are returning through a linear path.

Certain times when jumping, Lara just fucks up, misses grappling hook and ledges and the cameras ping around 180 degrees. It’s very buggy across the board and become problematic when you play on the hardest difficulty (Deadly Obsession) having to save at fires only, and if the game bugs up, well there goes your time.

STORY 6/10

Lara is all selfish at first, cause shit around her, grimaces across the game and then goes on a rampage for about 5 minutes before crying. The End. Plot was guessable as per usual with any pre dating game. Any close calls with Lara isn't going to stun the player because this is set before the original Tomb Raiders, so obviously she's going to be okay.

I’m not sure how remote village traders have Spas-12s and silencers and other combat gear. Even the ancient old tribe has a Micro Uzi. LMAO.  There are holes in this like having to wear a tribal outfit so you blend in from the guards, yet you can have your tact light, holster and bow on you. Okay then lol.

There's cutscenes that look like they are missing a few, as in some areas:

Hide contents

particularly the second tsunami one after Jonah gets kicked out of the heli.

Where is doesn't connect.

Hide contents

Jonah get kicked out of the heli and needs support from the other character and you head off to chase a helicopter. Only to play in to a tsunami.

Like WTF happened there? What happened to the other characters? Did I miss something?

With the addition of the bugginess, you can have hilarious broken cutscenes. For example:

Hide contents

When you save Urantutu and cross the bridge, you enter a cutscene that plays out where she and Lara opens a stone door, Urantutu slipping through before it shutting, separating the two either side. A brief scuffle and Urantutu opens the door. However, if you were to go to the nearby tombs and Crypts before the cutscene, she will glitch out and not move anymore. Resulting in you only pulling the door, and Urantutu appearing on the other side magically.

PERFORMANCE 8/10

It runs fine on PS Pro with a few hickups, frame drops and a single crash in my experience. The previously mentioned loading times, help with game loading flow.

TROPHIES 2/10

If you are trying to complete it 100% or platinum it. It is a horrible game to experience, you are forced to play a certain way since the enemies disappear after the game story is done. You missed a specific kill trophy? Fuck you. You decided to choose your own skills? Fuck you. You missed the specific location to get the kill? Fuck you. Along with grindy, and bugged out collectibles to top it off.

VERDICT 6/10

So TL:DR

• Broken 100%
  • Broken Artefacts
  • Broken Crafting
  • Broken Climbing
  • Broken Camera Angles when jumping
  • Broken AI Fish
  • Forced playerstyle
  • Cutscenes don’t add up.
  • Feels like a DLC to Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Good Hair
  • Easy to learn combat.
  • Basic story

Thnx for this review.  I'll stay away from it.

3 hours ago, dokkanexpert said:

Thnx for this review.  I'll stay away from it.

It is unfortunate that you're letting somebody else's bad experiences get in the way of a potential good experience for you. Not to mention the counter review provided is over exaggerated and that all of the problems listed have been patched with the latest update of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (1.05). I can't guarantee you'll enjoy the game since our opinions obviously differ, but I can guarantee that you'll be missing out on key narrative for the Tomb Raider series. At the very least, you should play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on an alternative account to involve yourself in the terrific story.

• Like 3