How many DualShock 4 controllers have broken for you?

Quink666

I've had my PS4 for about 3 years. The original black controller still works without any problems.

I got two backups (a red one and a blue one) within about 6 months of buying the system-- one for couch co-op with friends and another so that I'd always have a controller that would be "full". No issues there either.

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

I’ve owned 3. The one that broke was one I’d only owned for about a week (only bought it because I wanted a white one) before L2 suddenly decided to stop working. Original still works though I don’t really use it anymore. The one I always use still works great despite being dropped way too many times. Never had any wear and tear on the analogue sticks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel said:

I currently have four DUALSHOCK 4 controllers but two of them are not working properly. All buttons are functional with the two controllers but when I move around in games, they make my characters walk normal then slowly stop then back normal, like a skip is my best way to describe it hehe

Kinda like the same issues i had with mine. But instead of complete stops i went between walking & running all the time. One escape sequence in Uncharted 2 i believe in the train i could not complete until i got a new controller.

51 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Have you tried soap? It works wonders :)

Wish it worked, Takes about 3-4 days of everyday washing my hands before they are totally clean from a work week. Hardest part is the nails, i probably spend 2 hours a week with a toothpick cleaning them. Tried working with rubber gloves and the chemical lotion gloves you rub on your hands but i can't stand it. I want to feel what im doing.

16 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Since i bought my PS4 in 2014  i've used up 3 DS4 controllers, and i'm currently on my 4th brand new one. All of them had the exact same issue.

The :l3: deadzone got wonky and my character starts to walk - run - walk - run - walk - run all the time, which makes some escape sequences in games impossible to complete. 

With the time i play a controller roughly holds up for 1 year before it starts acting up. Given i play more then most people i still think they should last for more then 1 year.

Nothing else have ever broken always the :l3:. Always taken care of them really well, never threw them on anything like that.

So what's you experience?

I've completely broken 1, and broken the D-pad on another. The d-pad is a piece of junk. 

• Like 1

Nothing ever broke for me. My almost 2 decade old PS2 and my 10 year old PS3 still work perfectly with the very first controllers I got with the console. Same with my PS4, nothing ever broke in my gaming life history.

My brother on the other hand is the opposite. If you need something destroyed or broken, he's the one. He broke almost all his controllers and 8 iphones (all replaced by insurance which is vital for him).Not sure how many controllers on his PS4 he's gone through by now, but when I last met him he was on his third since the console was released.

• Like 1

None. I've had my PS4 since July 2015...I bought a Wave Blue controller at the same time. Both the Blue and Black controllers still work just fine...the batteries are practically shot though, they only last about 5 hours of continuously playing, and if I don't use one of those controllers for a couple weeks the battery starts dying on it's own. 

I bought the Crystal controller back in February, and that's the one i use the most. Looking to get another one (thinking Steel Grey or that new Orange one), so that I can just put the Black and Blue ones away. 

Edited by Viper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I’ve not had any break, but they obviously get a little worn, and I find the “clickiness” of the buttons (particularly the :cross: and the D-Pad) wears out over use, and gets a little bit “spongy” or “mushy” feeling.

I tend to have two controllers on the go at any one time, and will generally buy a new one about once a year, and swap out the oldest one, so the oldest in the rotation is only ever about 2 years old - but even with that, the difference between the button presses with a crisp, new controller and the older of the two is pretty eye-opening!

I've got 1 that's effectively unusable because the Touch Pad has a life of its own and activates menus and other features at will, plus another 1 with a dodgy Right Stick which drifts a bit. I have a third controller that appears to be ok but for who knows how much longer :(. I need to get replacement PS3 and PS4 controllers since most of both are knackered but working legit replacements are expensive :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.