How hard is it to make money in the online?

ShadowStar83x

Even if it is tough out of the gate, it'll get easier over time. GTA Online was super grindy at first but it got progressively easier with each new expansion. It's a joke to get money now.

I know people like to point to micro transactions as the reason but I don't buy it. Any game that wants you to keep playing long term uses that strategy, micro transactions or not.

Edited by KingGuy420

16 hours ago, Waddle Dee said:

From reading the guide on the site, things can be quite expensive online. Is making money easy or is it clear they're trying to push microtransactions?

it's clear they are trying to push microtransactions...xp is relatively scarce and many weapons, items, etc. are rank specific to unlock...you can bypass this by buying with gold, which is even more scarce than xp...you get like 0.02 gold per mission or so...some items cost 30+ gold (or rank 60+) so I think we can expect to see "gold cards" that can be bought with real money in the near future...simple math : 0.02 * 1500 missions = 30...@ average 10 minutes/mission that translates to 250 hours for one 30 gold item...i think the real question is, how much will r* price the gold at in real $s?...

for earning cash (not gold, it's a separate currency), i recommend going to the bluewater marsh area...kill every bird you come across till some of your feathers/plumes are at max in your inventory...look for herons, egrets, and spoonbills...then hunt down gators (4 to 6 of them) till your big game meat and teeth are at max...grab the best gator pelt and 2 exotic birds and stow them on your horse...ride to the butcher in saint denis and sell all...you can net anywhere from $50-80 in 10-30 mins depending on time of day and what type of spawns you get...super boring but about as rewarding as it gets...if you are having a hard time with spawns, hit options button > online > free roam and you'll spawn back in the same area with refreshed wildlife...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

So what’s the difference between gold and cash? Enlighten me @ProfBambam55

Not 100% sure about this, but I think it's similar to the mobile games currency, you have the regular money that you earn from playing matches and selling stuff in-game then you have gold (the premium currency) that works through micro-transactions. You'll earn something like 0.02 gold per game and buying something simple with gold costs 1.00 gold.

Edited by bpmotard

For what it's worth (pun not intended), you can also reset some gold buckles to get some gold. I did that with the one you get for selling 100 plants to the doctor, because through the course of natural play, for example when waiting for friends to join or things like that, you will pick some, netting you some money + gold at each reset. But otherwise, yeah : hunting like @ProfBambam55 said and story missions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

Is it worth to expend money in a Varmint Rifle or Bow to get perfect pelts?

Varmit rifle yes, it's far more accurate than repeaters so makes shooting birds easier. Selling pelts isn't really worth it due to the low carry number. 

12 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

Is it worth to expend money in a Varmint Rifle or Bow to get perfect pelts?

Definitely, a perfect deer pelt is $2.25 compared to 90 cents for a poor one. Perfect deer carcass is $7.00.

So yeah save up for the Varmint Rifle because the bow can be a little messy. Although not sure what rank you need to be for the rifle or what price it is.

If they're too expensive or high level then head to the Bayou and shoot herons & egrets, their plumes are worth between $1.50 & $2.50 plus the carcasses are worth a few dollars even poor quality ones.

Edited by Feral
Spelling
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Feral said:

Definitely, a perfect deer pelt is $2.25 compared to 90 cents for a poor one. Perfect deer carcass is $7.00.

So yeah save up for the Varmint Rifle because the bow can be a little messy. Although not sure what rank you need to be for the rifle or what price it is.

If they're too expensive or high level then head to the Bayou and shoot herons & egrets, they're plumes are worth between $1.50 & $2.50 plus the carcasses are worth a few dollars even poor quality ones. 

Is it even possible to get perfect deer pelt using Varmint Rifle? 

44 minutes ago, MSIA_pokwee said:

Is it even possible to get perfect deer pelt using Varmint Rifle? 

If you're worried about it being perfect, just lasso the deer, walk up to it, and you will get a kill prompt...perfect every time this way...no weapons needed...

5 hours ago, Spyro said:

So what’s the difference between gold and cash? Enlighten me @ProfBambam55

gold accumulates much, much slower and is only earned from finding treasure and completing missions/competitive matches...i've earned a couple thousand online dollars so far (currently at rank 25) and I only have about 4.50 gold...you can buy everything with money but some things are locked until you hit the respective rank...gold is for unlocks/upgrades only (I think) and it bypasses the rank requirement...does that make sense?...

side note : repeating story missions earns minimal money and xp, and no gold...definitely worth playing them once though as they are fun and pay quite well for all 3 first time around...keep positive honor though (anything to the right of the center point) or you will get locked out of 2 of the 8 missions...i repeated the final boss story mission with a gold rank and earned 14 cents, 3 xp, and 0 gold...first time around was about $300, 300 xp, and 1.0 gold...biggest cash and gold yield in one shot so far...

also you get treasure maps for every 5 online ranks...i recommending collecting those whenever you get a chance...they yield good loot...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

Typical Rock$$$$tar greed. Its the same thing with GTA online, I stopped playing it then they release Heist DLC and most of the bases are 2-3mil and I have next to nothing in my bank so you either have to grind away rubbish missions or buy Sharkcards. Sooner I finish CM the quicker I can uninstall this game

My wife and I are finding that fishing is actually pretty good for making money. The fishing pole unlocks around level 14 and is about $32. We lucked out yesterday and managed to get and entire session to ourselves for about 4 hours. So we camped out on the northeast shore of Flatiron Lake near a fisherman's house, she fishing and me hunting birds and game with the bow and Varmint Rifle, loading each other's horses with what we found. The big lake Sturgeon there will get you about $4 each, but you can only carry one at a time on your horse. The smaller trout and bass get you good money ($4.25 for each trout), and you can carry 10 of each species in your pouch. If you can find them, hawks will also get a decent price. The butcher in Rhodes nearby was about a 2 minute ride away. My wife was making about $50 every 20-30 minutes from fishing. We ended up getting enough for me to upgrade to a Schofield Revolver and her to a Bolt-Action Rifle by the time we got bored with it. The only problem is getting people to leave you alone. We played late at night, so we ended up having the session to ourselves for 4 hours till the server glitched and we both got kicked off.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, SirPigFace said:

Typical Rock$$$$tar greed. Its the same thing with GTA online, I stopped playing it then they release Heist DLC and most of the bases are 2-3mil and I have next to nothing in my bank so you either have to grind away rubbish missions or buy Sharkcards. Sooner I finish CM the quicker I can uninstall this game

wanna know what's funny? Fallout 76 has microtransactions (all cosmetic or silly) and it's ammo for the ax. RDRO has microtransactions for things needed to progress (guns, mods, horses, etc) and its all good in the hood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargazer2600 said:

wanna know what's funny? Fallout 76 has microtransactions (all cosmetic or silly) and it's ammo for the ax. RDRO has microtransactions for things needed to progress (guns, mods, horses, etc) and its all good in the hood.

No one is forcing you to spend real money on anything. Besides you can still earn gold, get good guns for cash and even get a good horse for free.

Edited by Feral

Another good spot we found is Owanjila Lake west of Strawberry. The Muskies have to be hauled in by horseback and fetch $4.00 each, and the Salmon fetch $4.25 each and can be carried in your pouch. There's also black bear, elk, and bighorn in the hills to the north. The butcher in Strawberry is only 2 minutes ride away. Not as lucrative as Flatiron Lake, but less chance of being harassed by other players.

I don't know but I feel hunting and getting herbs in the swamps near Saint Denis is the best place. I manage to get like 70-90 bucks each time visit after I'm out of ammo. It can be a grind no doubt but I'm almost to 1500. Already have like 1170. How much do the other trophies cost just so that way I know.

3 hours ago, Feral said:

No one is forcing you to spend real money on anything. Besides you can still earn gold, get good guns for cash and even get a good horse for free.

From the reviews I seen, It takes hours to grind gold. One guy said he was playing for 8 hours and only got 2 gold when most things are 12-20 gold. Now how accurate that is, idk