Do you like Jim Sterling?

Wavergray

Do you Like Jim Sterling  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Like Jim Sterling

I love the man. Thank God for him!

He's spot-on with his analysis of the greed and cynicism that has infested the gaming industry and is ruining the AAA space, plus the way he riles up the bootlickers is endlessly entertaining. His persona is an acquired taste and it is also worth noting that he is not the only one saying the things that he does. But he and those like him are a great asset to us as consumers, whether we personally like them or not.

I disagree with his actual game reviews quite a lot though. He's well-up on the industry, as I've said, but we differ when it comes to taste.

Nonetheless, thank God for Jim fucking Sterling, son!

Edited by Stan Lee

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

No. I like that he speaks out against on things like lootboxes regularly, but at the same time his whole shtick is outrage and negativity and controversy. I mean I genuinely can't think of the last time I saw him post a video that fully praised something or was about something he thought was genuinely fun or great.

The constant negativity and hate gets tiring.

It's infrequent but there are some there. I can think of a few recent ones, Deltarune, Spyro Reignited, and Pokemon Let's Go. He liked those and was heavy on the praise. But I do agree 90% of his content is negative and over-sensationalized. I watch it to be entertained. I usually agree with the points that he's making and he has pointed out some stuff that takes a lot of insight. However, I generally laugh off his criticisms because they are overblown. When everything is outrageous, nothing is outrageous. 

No. I thought he was alright up until his Guild Wars 2 mount licenses video. He only made a video about that because people begged him to, he openly said he hadn't played the game and didn't understand what was going on. But that 'he'd been told' and he 'had an idea' of what was going on, and then proceeded to spout a ton of misleading and outright wrong information.

I don't entirely think his stuck-up attitude is 100% fake and I think his self-righteousness is completely real, but his job could be said to be an important one. Although sadly, where TB would call out a game, the devs, and say what was wrong or would need improvement, JS just shits on everything and cries about lootboxes while he compares everything to Dark Souls.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, madbuk said:

No. I like that he speaks out against on things like lootboxes regularly, but at the same time his whole shtick is outrage and negativity and controversy. I mean I genuinely can't think of the last time I saw him post a video that fully praised something or was about something he thought was genuinely fun or great.

The constant negativity and hate gets tiring.

This exactly. I knew roughly what I wanted to say as soon as I saw the thread title but then I find someone has already done it for me.

• Like 1

Kinda strange, since I was among his first hundred subscribers on youtube, but I've just got more and more mixed feelings about him. Sometimes he raises good issues, but I think he raises far less good ones these days than he used to and he pushes his politics way too much as well.  You can see how it has bled into his gaming stuff, and even how he goes about the two topics the same way, just makes you so much more easily realize a lot of his gaming related stuff isn't that good either. I can totally see all the reasons to not like him, but I used to long ago. Not without reason I was among the very first to subscribe to him when he started his own youtube channel, I used to follow some of his stuff from before that. But yeah, really, I don't like the vast majority of non-gaming stuff he does, and he has really soured my relation to his gaming stuff too.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, breakingthegreen said:

And here I thought we could be friends...

I find him rather annoying with his negatively bias reviews and he ridicules everything

i dont think hes that funny really or entertaining

though some of his points are somewhat valid

A broken clock is still right twice a day but that doesnt make it ok

i guess im just not a fan of those who get paid to talk trash about every game, studio, developer, etc. plus his voice alone triggers me ?

3 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

I find him rather annoying with his negatively bias reviews and he ridicules everything

i dont think hes that funny really or entertaining

though some of his points are somewhat valid

A broken clock is still right twice a day but that doesnt make it ok

i guess im just not a fan of those who get paid to talk trash about every game, studio, developer, etc. plus his voice alone triggers me ?

I was talking about the fact that I'm fat and british. If I made enemies out of people that didn't like creators I like, it would be me against the world since I like Game Theory.

No. He brings about toxicity more often than not. I don't give a crap about his opinion and whether he likes games or hates them. I suppose if I did, I might like him more, but alas. I can't say his opinion has ever swayed me to like or to hate something. 

Everything he says, someone else has already done a better job of saying.

• Like 1

Very much so. He brings the shady business tactics of the AAA industry to light and does so while providing excellent, well-researched arguments on why those tactics are shady.

Can he be overly negative? Yes, but just as he says, he comments on what is happening in the industry, not his fault that what's happening is mostly bad stuff. He can be positive at times, however, like in some of his reviews, in his annual "Best games of (insert current year here)" JimQuisition and even in some of his regular JimQuisitions.

Can his brand of humor sometimes be over the top? Yes, but I've slowly learned to appreciate it or at the very least ignore it. It's his arguments I listen to him for, not his jokes.

30 minutes ago, KaKrackle said:

You dont like him cuz hes British? Your probably gonna upset a few people by putting that. You might wanna consider rephrasing you’re commet....

I would like to see you try and rephrase those comments to make them less upsetting :)