Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

Congratulations on the big move!  I think you’ll really enjoy having your own gaming space.  I have my PS5 hooked up to the big living room TV, and when I want to slink off and be by myself I use Remote Play on my Gaming PC upstairs.  Not perfect, but it’s a nice compromise.

Deep Rock Galactic is fantastic!  I am playing it on PC as that’s where all my coop buddies are, glad to see someone else is enjoying it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

It very much depends... How far are you sitting from your screen? 1f602.png For me, playing 3m (~10 ft) away from such a huge screen just doesn't feel comfortable when I'm playing something that requires the finesse and precision of something like SMBF. Playing anything that does NOT require precision, where I can just sit back, feels great though. But it also does feel great on a monitor, so I think the latter is the way to go for me :) Especially since I have a UHD one, while my TV is only Full HD. 

Actually I am sitting about that same distance away, ~3m i would reckon to guess! No UHD for me either, just the basic old HD... I mean it works fine, but I never even considered how helpful having a low latency monitor could be, especially for a game like SMBF that requires such precise timing!

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

No man, there is never enough rambling about Trials! You know how much I love that game, feel free to spit everthing out you have to say Trials-related! (or otherwise 1f605.png). But you are right, you are making some solid progress! Especially having done Meteorain already... Finishing that track is what made the game "click" for me... Those last three CPs really required some advanced techniques, and there was no way to brute-force them. 

Have you come close to finishing Inferno? And how is your progress in terms of track-challenges? Which RedLynx time did you manage to beat?

And what you describe is one of the things that make this game so addictive... Going from "How am I supposed to finish this track??" to beating it on an invisible bike 1f602.png Improvement is just so noticeable, which brings tons of motivation. And the controls are just so freaking crisp 1f44c.png

Good to hear that you are enjoying your time with this gem of a game! And good luck with the remaining challenges! :) 

Right on man, sounds good to me!! As a matter of fact, I was on fire and hit a triple last night... I got Unyielding III, Inferno, and Way of the Machine all completed ? I was just on a roll!! For Inferno, man it was just that one section pretty early on (maybe cp4 or 5?) where you have to jump from the wheel over to a stack of uphill barrels, then jump across and hit the tiny ledge to boost yourself over to the next ledge/cp... I probably had to try that at least 600x before it finally clicked!! After that, I really didn't have much issue with the rest of it... I wanna say I finished it in like 300 faults or so?

As for Way of the Machine, that one was just long and there were a few tricky sections... The one I struggled with the most was the steep uphill incline, then you have to do a quick bunnyhop to reach an even steeper hill... It took me a shit ton of tries just to finally get that part down! Oh yes, and Meteorain... That was the last one I finished right before these and definitely took me several attempts ? I kept telling myself with the DLC extreme tracks that I only need to complete them once, then I never need to touch them again if I don't want to!! hehe

That just leaves me with the 3 Stratosphere challenges in one go, Redlynx times, Speedcuber, the one for scoring 40k on the trick track with the Roach, the one which you need the fully upgraded Biotech suit (need level 100 I think it was? and I'm at 92 right now), then last but not least of course the track challenges! Which I've done a vast majority of them, except for the extreme ones. I was struggling for a bit with the finish on fire ones, as well as the fusion ball across the finish line... Also finishing the Fusion Factory without using the loop sucked!! The rest weren't too bad tho. I want to say I have less than 20 challenges total for just the base game left. So I'll keep plugging away at those!

Do you have any advice you can offer about riding and maintaining a proper wheelie?? I feel like I'm just terrible at it... My instinct tells me to lean forward at certain points, but that just ends up making me bunny hop which basically ruins the wheelie! If you have any tips in that regard, I'd appreciate it ?

Honestly man, as fun as this game is, if I'm able to finish this one off I def plan on swapping in Trials Rising to the challenge!! These games are seriously so much fun and I'm thankful for you guys putting it on my radar ?

9 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

It Takes Two

Now…I'm about to somewhat spoil the ending. Let’s just say that it is a somewhat happy one. After having played as Cody and May, having had to listen to their fighting, to their reasoning, to them being childish and self-absorved… What in any other game would have been the “good” ending, felt entirely anti-climactic here. It just doesn’t work on an emotional level, at least it didn’t for me. Let these guys have their divorce. They aren't happy together, and having a child cannot and should not be the only reason they staty together. Not everything needs to be fixed. Maybe living apart is the better solution for them. 

Thank you!

I'm glad at least someone out there had the same reaction to that repugnant ending and charmless characters - I agree, the game is pretty light and breezy, and mechanically works more often than it doesn't but holy HELL does Joseph Fares need to stay way from writing dialogue, or creating characters!

You're absolutely right about how Cody and May just don't seem to ever address the terrible things they do to their daughter - the stuff they did before their imprisonment in the rag-doll bodies, or during that time! They're really the archetypal sociopaths - doing awful things gets them excited, and brings them together in a shared orgasm of wanton, irreversible emotional damage they wreak on their unsuspecting daughter!

I feel like Joseph Fares could have solved the whole issue - and avoided the Take Two copyright problems - with one simple name change...

...just call the game "Terrible People doing Terrible Things and not Caring"...

...or even just take a cue from one of his own rubbish Dr. Hakim jokes.

...just call the game "Relationshit" ?

• Like 1

Intriguing…how were the trophies?  Are they like other Fares games where you have to go out of your way to collect them?

I played A Way Out with my gamer brother, so going after trophies was something he appreciated.  I’m interested in the thought of introducing this game to my non-gamer partner (who enjoys watching me play time to time, especially if there is looting of chests involved!), but I could see us playing with a guide and me going “hey hey hey, do that thing over there for the trophy!  No, wait, not like that!”  I guess it really would…take two….ba-dum ching.

• Like 2

It's interesting how you mention the shrunken duo reacting to the world around them; basking in the nature their garden, embarking on adventures on frogs, exploring the room of their daughter in a whole new context... It reminds me from what I've seen of Little Nightmares. It's unique how one game takes that concept to enthrall you in a charming adventure fit for a co-op experience, where as the latter uses this tiny viewpoint to make the surrounding world more imposing and daunting. It's always fascinating to see how such ideas can be changed into so many different ways, in entirely new contexts.

Great read man, good luck for your next games! ?

• Like 1

First of all, awesome review! But most importantly?

I had a lot of fun playing this game, especially because Ms. Arc was constantly getting surprised, and she enjoyed the game a lot. :) And playing a game like this with someone that is visibly enjoying herself just makes you look past most insignificant little flaws :) 

???

This warmed my icy heart.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Darksiders Genesis

L072b00.png

Dude, this was a great write up!

I actually super appreciate this one in particular, as DS:G is a game I’ve seen around, and seen the odd screenshot of, but feel like I never really had a handle on exactly… well… what it was!

TBH, I had no idea it would even contain platforming… from the visuals and marketing, for some reason I had it in my head it was some kind of turn-based tactics thing ?:hmm::dunno:

At least now I know what it is… even if it does seem a bit of a let down, and maybe best given a wider swerve… though TBH, as much as I dug the first two games, I haven’t managed to get around to even the third one yet ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

TBH, I had no idea it would even contain platforming… from the visuals and marketing, for some reason I had it in my head it was some kind of turn-based tactics thing 1f633.png:hmm::dunno:

Oh I also had no idea at all. I went into the game fully expecting a twin-stick-shooter game from what little I had seen before. Suddenly I am playing a War(rior) with a sword. 

But playing with Arcesius made it okay again. ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mori said:

Oh I also had no idea at all. I went into the game fully expecting a twin-stick-shooter game from what little I had seen before. Suddenly I am playing a War(rior) with a sword. 

But playing with Arcesius made it okay again. 1f913.png

? Well, they really did a bang up job with the marketing on this one, didn't they! :blink:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Copanele said:

We really need to do a "on a scale of Copanele Rant to Arcesius appreciation, how nasty the platforming in this game is? " metric in Platformers 1f602.png

Anyway, reading your review, there's a game I won't touch in this lifetime then xD but yet again, if you said the platforming is bad, then truly is unbearable to even touch.

Nah, don't... Not because the platforming is bad, it's just not a game that you should spend your time with ?

16 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Nice completion!  I’ve completed the previous 3 games and enjoyed them all to various degrees (liking Darksiders 2 the most).  Where you would rank Genesis in the series?

Thanks! 

I have completed all three previous games as well (1 and 2 on the X360), and Genesis is definitely the weakest of them all. I think I enjoyed 2 the most as well despite it dragging on and on at points, but I really enjoyed playing as Death. 

Darksiders 3 had probably the best combat in my opinion, but the game was unfortunately filled with technical issues when I played, with constant freezes on area transitions, long loading times and bugs... But I still enjoyed it thanks to the fun combat and decent level and enemy design :) 

Genesis... First of all, as you can see from the screenshots, you don't see shit ? I play on a 65" TV and still couldn't really recognize details on enemies or the characters due to the zoomed out perspective. Then, I enjoyed the open world structure more than the chapter-based progression... And while I didn't mention puzzles in the review above, in Genesis they are all reeeeally basic and boring...

I don't know, Genesis is not awful, but it's not a game worth your time either. Unless, like myself, you just want to have played all entries in the franchise ?

13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I actually super appreciate this one in particular, as DS:G is a game I’ve seen around, and seen the odd screenshot of, but feel like I never really had a handle on exactly… well… what it was!

TBH, I had no idea it would even contain platforming… from the visuals and marketing, for some reason I had it in my head it was some kind of turn-based tactics thing 1f633.png:hmm::dunno:

At least now I know what it is… even if it does seem a bit of a let down, and maybe best given a wider swerve… though TBH, as much as I dug the first two games, I haven’t managed to get around to even the third one yet 1f61d.png

You know, during our first couple of sessions, I was actually saying to @Mori "Hey, this game really isn't as bad as people say". I remember saying that, and I remember actually enjoying the game. And I think if the game would have been a couple of chapters shorter, it actually would have stayed fun. But after a while, once you have tried all of your skills and start just using the one that works, once you have seen all enemies and notice that the puzzles will stay THAT basic... Once the levels start becoming more platforming-intensive and you notice how atrocious the platforming mechanics are... You just want to stop playing the game. 

And then you still need to finish the game.. and play through it once more. Spend hours in the arena. Farm creature kills to get all cores... 

It's just one of those games that would be alright for 10-15 hours. But you will spend around 25h with it, and by that point I just wasn't having too much fun with the game anymore ? 

It is indeed a bit of a letdown, given that I enjoyed playing the other three games, and from what I had seen before starting this one, it looked like a ton of fun a priori...  

47 minutes ago, Mori said:

But playing with Arcesius made it okay again. 1f913.png

?? Well to be fair, my character controlled a bit like in a twin stick shooter ? But yeah, it's a bit all over the place. I didn't expect it to have such an emphasis on platforming, for example, while keeping the puzzles that simple. That wasn't the case with the previous entries. 

• Like 4

I don't know, Genesis is not awful, but it's not a game worth your time either. Unless, like myself, you just want to have played all entries in the franchise 1f605.png

That’s my interest in it!  I bought all the Darksiders games in a bundle last year and worked through the first 3 almost consecutively before getting distracted.   I enjoy them, and I think they have a little bit of a “cult classic” mystique as they ape so much from other games and aren’t really that popular.  I find the aesthetic cool (especially the color palette in DS3) and appreciate their relative simplicities.

DS2 had a miserable collectible system and I’m glad the third one (and it sounds like Genesis) have something much simpler.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 1:16 AM, Arcesius said:

I have completed all three previous games as well (1 and 2 on the X360), and Genesis is definitely the weakest of them all. I think I enjoyed 2 the most as well despite it dragging on and on at points, but I really enjoyed playing as Death. 

Darksiders 3 had probably the best combat in my opinion, but the game was unfortunately filled with technical issues when I played, with constant freezes on area transitions, long loading times and bugs... But I still enjoyed it thanks to the fun combat and decent level and enemy design :) 

Genesis... First of all, as you can see from the screenshots, you don't see shit 1f602.png I play on a 65" TV and still couldn't really recognize details on enemies or the characters due to the zoomed out perspective. Then, I enjoyed the open world structure more than the chapter-based progression... And while I didn't mention puzzles in the review above, in Genesis they are all reeeeally basic and boring...

I don't know, Genesis is not awful, but it's not a game worth your time either. Unless, like myself, you just want to have played all entries in the franchise 1f605.png

Darksiders 2 has been on my backlog for a number of years now. From the various Twitch.tv livestreams and game coverage across all games in the series, Darksiders 1 still appeals to me the most. It had that perfect blend of Legend of Zelda and God of War, two franchises I adored when I was much younger. Really liked going thru the dungeons, finding that item that would help you get past the midway point or the boss (ie Legend of Zelda) and then being told I'm to venture to a new area.

The sequel looks quite good by 2012 standards and it's more open world, with a different protagonist. I heard you can reduce the freezing by removing the numbers that pop up on screen but I didn't play more than 30 minutes of the game.

Look forward to it when I finally get around to the game, even though it's been sitting on my backlog for years at this point.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HusKy said:

Hello mate, where are the reviews?

Regards,

Review reader HusKy

? I'm just as interested to know how everything had changed since moving into the new apartment. And Arc is in a very interesting place in the world right now, I'd be keen to know just how he's doing in general with world events. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...