Arcesius' Pursuit of Completion

Arcesius

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but well done with your 100th platinum! I've yet to play Hyper Light Drifter, but it's great to see that studio coming out with another new game! It reminds me a ton of the Sonic Adventure games with the emphasis on fluidity and maintaining a constant pace; that idea of pushing your momentum is a great part that adds to the fun of the game!
But seriously though, 100 plats is no small feat; there's plenty of ways to get to that number quick with certain games, but your list is filled with only great games that really take a lot of time to dig into, so reaching that mighty number 100 is an awesome thing to accomplish! ? You started with GoW III, and made it here!

On 11/12/2021 at 0:33 AM, KindaSabbath said:

The Worst

I was debating whether this really belongs into this section, but it is something that certainly made me uncomfortable at times, so I guess the answer is yes… Let’s see if you can tell what these three pre-designed characters have in common:

Yeah, I see what you mean... They all dyed their hair, pretty cool stuff! And definitely nothing else whatsoever! ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

However, I am 100% done with the single player part of the game!

?

Huge. Congrats.

How many hours so far?

6 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Solar Ash

Dude you are making it hard on us who are yet to bring home a PS5! For now, I just have to lock my excitement away to stop it from stealing my wallet and getting me into trouble.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

1f632.png

Huge. Congrats.

How many hours so far?

My in-game stats say roughly 30 hours, but that's effective fly-time I believe? But yeah, around that :)  

17 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Dude you are making it hard on us who are yet to bring home a PS5! For now, I just have to lock my excitement away to stop it from stealing my wallet and getting me into trouble.

Haha the game is also available for PS4! ? Though I would probably wait for a PS5, the game is not going anywhere and I can imagine that it just feels so much better to play!

14 minutes ago, Mori said:

I dont want to pressure you into more work, but I'd love to read your 2021 awards. :) 

Have a good one, talk to you soon. 270c.png

Fiiiiiine... ? Na, appreciate the feedback :) 

Thanks, and you enjoy your time as well! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Solar Ash

La804c6.png

Wow Arc!

Awesome read obviously.

and Congrats on all the other progress you've been making elsewhere with other games - I'm a little on fence about Darksiders: Genesis, does it overlap with the other games like the core three seem too? I wasn't sure whether to play Darksiders III first before Genesis, as I've not started that one yet.

What an eye opener - this game was kind of on my radar of interest anyway, but damn, I love how tight the time windows seem to be on Hardcore mode. I'm pretty fond of speedrun-esque type trophies, or times when games require really tight or precise timing, and that looks so satisfying when everything comes together like you showed in the video you put in. 

That aesthetic is gorgeous too - looks like I've found another reason to really lust after a PS5 I suppose. Shame about the length of the game, and the re-playability though, that's a bit of a shame that it doesn't have a whole lot there to draw you back to it - but I guess it is possible it might do at some point in the future though right.

You've also got me wanting to take a look at Hyper Light Drifter as well - which I have a feeling I own too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

32 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I am also debating whether I should have my own 2021 awards or not.

You totally should! If you have time of course.

I'm planning to do one myself  - so I expect you to be there, bright eyed and bushy tailed - and in a sweet tux, because I think one of your favourite games might be getting a few awards thrown it's way.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Solar Ash

Fabulous write up mate (which I've now read 3 times, as I kept coming back to check if had recovered a rep-point to give, only to be drawn back into re-reading it by the screenshots ?)

This only cements the game on my wish-list further... really, the only thing keeping me from having bought and started this already (aside from my backlog being now so large it would make the Milky Way puke) is that... I'm being sneaky :ninja:...

...I want to use this one as my "A game recommended by another PSNP User" entry in the 2022 Bingo Event ?

• Like 3

Well done @Arcesius. Simply well done mate!

Splasher, from how you've worded it, seems to be a marvel of video game difficulty, where it demands absolute perfection in the quickest time possible. It's funny; I love playing racing games, and the way you've described Splasher matches the heart and soul of racing as a whole; giving it your 100% effort and going for the fastest times possible, with errors are slowly erased through each run to achieve victory. I can tell from that alone why Splasher would be a game you're extremely proud of, and you should be! ???

FF7R also does have beautiful visuals, absolutely stunning. I haven't played it yet, but they've truly reimagined the PS1 classic into a modern experience where every environment pops and blows you away with it's visuals. Typically for me, the gameplay is most important, such as Furi which absolutely blew me away with how fun it was which went hand in hand with it's intentionally simplistic art style, but it doesn't hurt for a game now and then to blow you away in the graphics department! ? Even if it ended as a nominee in the Biggest Bummer category, at least it has some positive rep nonetheless! ? Music respectively is another important part of a game. When I beat a game and don't go back to it in a while, the music is always what stays. I've heard the battle theme for FF7R and it kicks ass, it's fricking awesome stuff!!!

Solar Ash is a game I look forward to playing this year, and seeing you praise it's trophies is something I'm eager to dive into!!! ? Funnily enough, it's art style reminds me a ton of Furi, so it already feels like home for me! I can't wait to dive into it, and hearing your words on it just motivates me more! Great job on getting that done man, awesome completion!

And overall, it's been a great 2021 for you man! Lots of great games were beaten!!! Here's to a spectacular 2022 dude, you'll get some more killer games done! You got this! ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

Stellar Awards my friend!

I can only imagine what the trophies for Neon Abyss must be like, knowing it beat RAD for Worst Trophy List, given what I know you thought of RAD's list!

I was sad to see Trine games in worst multiplayer, (well, Trine 4 really, 3 is a bummer in a lot of ways!).... but totally understandable given the bizarre lack of online co-op! TBH, I didn't even know that was an issue, as I buy those game exclusively for couch co-op with MsBloodmoney (she'd have my head on a platter if I tried to play them with someone else! ?) but I can totally understand your frustration with those - it's the exact inverse of my experience with Alienation (before they patched in couch co-op!)

Loads of games I don't know in here, but a lot of stuff to research and look at - you remain a source for all things tricky... long may it continue!

Happy New Year mate! ??

• Like 4

Congratulations on your achievements this year, Arc. You've really got my appetite going for some of these games with your reviews even prior to this end of year wrap-up (Solar Ash and Slain in particular).

However, I have to side with @Mori about N++'s art design and sense of style. I think it's classy.

Best of luck with your endeavours in 2022! ? 

• Like 3

Hey man!! First of all Happy New Year to you and your family! I hope 2022 is everything you want and deserve it to be! ?

Secondly, great Awards write-up dude! Very well written, well structured and in general just awesome to read! You got yourself some nice completions in 2021! You also did more than your fair share of helping others get some nice completions in 2021! Something I have no doubt you will do all over again in 2022! 

I’m very happy to read that you’ve decided to keep this checklist going. I know how you feel when it comes to having a lot on and time to balance things properly can be tricky. I don’t see you as the sort of dude who would half ass it, so it makes sense to me that if you felt you couldn’t upkeep this thread properly, you’d consider closing it. Definitely don’t do that though! This thread has 100% inspired many others that have popped up over this last year alone and you can include mine to that list, too! Just keep doing your thing man, when you have the time to that is. We’ll keep reading when the updates from you roll out. It doesn’t matter how frequent they are when the quality is so high!

Its good to see that Trials of the Blood Dragon made the awards. Let’s just not talk about why the game made the awards until after I’ve finished it ?

Sine Mora getting some love though! That’s dope as I’m really feeling something like that currently. Definitely a few on your list that I’m excited to go after in the near future. I’m very excited for Solar Ash in particular and apologies that I haven’t said so already, but, thank you for the amazing write-up for SA and thank you for the well written guide. I’m gonna pick that one up as a birthday present to myself this month ??

• Like 3

Hey Arc, I remember seeing that you’re also interested in playing Super Rude Bear Resurrection. I started it yesterday and all I have to say is, wow, this game is brutal xD It’s certainly a lot of fun though, fast paced and is going to require some extreme precision for the no death runs, I’m looking forward to your thoughts if you start it. My only complaint so far? The music, man that was muted pronto.. It’s going to be a tough as hell platinum for sure!

• Like 4

On 01/01/2022 at 6:39 AM, Arcesius said:

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 is not only my biggest surprise of 2021… It is the biggest positive surprise I’ve ever experienced in gaming.

My Man !

I completely support every single word you wrote on Vermintide 2. 

I would also consider V2, the best gaming experience i've had this year. It's incredible how a game with just a few inputs can be that challenging and hard to master.

I'm really hyped for Deep Rock Galactic that kinda look the same co-op wise. Will be UR plat aswell.

• Like 1

Sweet, loved the awards ceremony my man! There were def a few games on there I was not surprised to see, after following along with your checklist here for the better part of the year... Namely Solar Ash and Pier Solar! Same with V2, as I know you were raving about that one previously and you're making me want to play it!

At any rate, it has been a pleasure following along with your progress here and your reviews are such a joy to read!! You really have a way with words and it's been fun to check in on your progress here ?

Looking forward to seeing you tackle more challenges here in the coming year!

• Like 1

On 01/01/2022 at 11:39 AM, Arcesius said:

Welcome, everyone! Don't mind that it's already 2022... It’s time to have a quick look at how 2021 has been in terms of gaming, point out the real stars and throw the big disappointments straight into the moshpit to be trampled over.

Thank you all for caring, thank you all for even taking some of your precious time and spending it reading what I write, or engaging in any discussion with me and other people here. Thank you for your constant words of encouragement, both to all that engage with me here, in any other checklist or on PSN. I can ensure you that much of the motivation I have to finish some of the stuff I start comes from all the encouraging words I get from you all. 

That was a great read as always dude! The games to you finished are very impressive & I saw the games that you will be doing for a few of the events so looking forward to how you find those. There are a lot of good games that you play & it's always interesting to read every review that you do. I'm looking forward to the games that you will be doing & I'm sure each review will be great as well. The events will be a lot of fun to take part of so nice going on making those great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Ms. Arc and myself bought a new apartment some time ago, and constructions are meanwhile finished... we will be moving there in March, which is very, very soon! :D

Nice!!! I’m excited for you dude! Especially…

I'm going to have my own office / gaming room.

… Life goals right there! I just need some of mine to fly the nest and this dream can be a reality for me too! ?

That means that I'm going to be retiring my 65" TV in favor of a UHD gaming monitor

Oh - good move man. This is something I’m toying with the idea of too! In preparation for my PS5, I went out and bought a massive fucking Oled thingy… It looks awesome and I assume that big cinematic games pop on the bad boy… I say ASSUME because I don’t play any of them ?. So really when you think about it, I paid quite a lot of dosh for latency. Yes Sabbath, you’re a dickhead ??

Now, that change in my gaming setup also brings extra motivation

Fresh setup, fresh vibes man! Let’s get it man!! ?

1. Completed Games

LgHO3YF.png

Two coop-games are done!

As always - congrats on your recent completions! Looking forward to your take on It Takes Two. Me and the wife still need to play Peggle 2 but more options would be awesome. Recently she has genuinely enjoyed watching me do the Time Trials in CTR, which is cool but I definitely want to play more games with her this year!

Crypt of the NecroDancer

I don’t know too much about this one but I know that the thought of trying to complete it scares the shit outa me ?… You will crush it now that life seems to be more permitting. Exciting stuff!!

Super Meat Boy Forever

So, I wanted to try something out... I took out my old, loud PS4 from its box, and hooked it onto a monitor instead of my 65" TV. I had a go at the game and noticed that it is just much easier to play this game that way... It doesn't make the game easy, not at all... but I went from a PB of 5 deaths in the first Dark World, to 1 death after just a bit of practice. 

Thus, I declare my return to SMBF once the move is over! I am actually looking forward to making more progress in this game, I think the break I took was a good idea. :)

Firstly, it’s good to see you in a place where you’re ready to go back and finish this one off. Secondly a low latency monitor will be a game changer. Anything that requires quick reactions is much harder on a laggy big screen. For example, I would not even consider playing anything competitive FPS wise on anything other than a low latency monitor. It’s a straight up no for me. Trust me, this change in your setup is going to be huge mate! The monitor is a great investment. 

However, I'm still undecided about something... You see, I am NOT having as much fun with this game as I hoped I would. And so, while it would be cool to play on my own seed and figure out the levels myself, I am on the fence about starting a new save file and playing on a known seed... maybe the one from the guide that @Joe Dubz used. It wouldn't make the game significantly easier, as I would still need to execute everything flawlessly... But it would get rid of the "trial and error" and "trying to figure outhow to beat the chunks in each level", a process which can take hours upon hours

If you’re not having fun dude, don’t make it any more stressful than it needs to be. I’d just take the least stressful route and be done with it. It’s a shame that the game didn’t hit for you like I know you hoped it would, but I’d just wrap it up and move on ?

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 4