Anyone else get extremely stressed out while trophy hunting sometimes?

iGGTheEnd

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Super Meat Boy is a hard platinum, there's no question about that. My advice is if you plan to go back to this game, give it a few hours of practice each day. Stop when you feel you are getting too frustrated.

Bloodborne is my pick for best Playstation exclusive for the Playstation 4. I consider it to be the easiest of the "Soulsborne" games. Once you get past the first few hours it is not as difficult or aggravating as some people like to claim. I actually found a number of bosses to be rather easy after the first try or two.

Two of the DLC bosses may give you some trouble. The Chalice Dungeons can be a mess so I highly suggest looking up a guide for how to tackle them because there is some technical stuff you have to do. The hardest part for me was beating the Watchdog in the Chalice Dungeons. Amygdala can be tough too because of your halved HP in the Defiled Chalice Dungeon. You can however hire NPCs to help you soak up some damage. But it's your choice whether you want AI help, get a good online partner or go at it solo.

Bloodborne is a lot less hassle than Demon's Souls, and a lot less grindy than the Dark Souls games. I highly recommend you play it, it's worth the time and money.

Ya just the first playthrough of Bloodborne is hard and kicked my ass,  after that the next 2 playthroughs went by pretty easily.  I still need to finish up a couple DLC trophies because I decided to get the plat most of the way through the DLC and then stopped playing.  But its my favorite game every made so I will have no problem doing a 5th playthrough just for the DLC trophies.

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Super Meat Boy is a hard platinum, there's no question about that. My advice is if you plan to go back to this game, give it a few hours of practice each day. Stop when you feel you are getting too frustrated.

Bloodborne is my pick for best Playstation exclusive for the Playstation 4. I consider it to be the easiest of the "Soulsborne" games. Once you get past the first few hours it is not as difficult or aggravating as some people like to claim. I actually found a number of bosses to be rather easy after the first try or two.

I have worked out a rough roadmap what to play in which order by now, took me a while but at least that nagging feeling is gone. Bloodborne will actually be done as my 30th platinum on that map, but I put many smaller games and the big grindfest that is Monster Hunter in front of it so that may take quite a while with the reduced gaming schedule I am aiming for. I am certain I will have a blast playing Bloodborne, even though I haven't really played a souls game before. I can practice with Nioh before it comes down to it.

Super Meat Boy is indeed a bitch to platinum and doing some cleanup on it now reminds me of why I think that me ever getting this platinum is highly doubtful. I will make many efforts on my way to the 50th plat though and I intend to still get it as plat number 50, breaking with my new rule of avoiding to present a single plat multiple times because should I really get that platinum done somehow I will have no trouble putting it everywhere on my profile. This would be the hardest accomplishment in my gaming career ever and if all it takes are 1 or 2 more trophies by then you bet I keep hunting for that thing.

Yeah but now that I'm older I try to stay away from games that demand too much, trophy wise (7+/10).  Lucky for me, most if not all games I want usually have simple, fun and easy trophies.... so not much stress these days.  

I only get stressed with online boosting and online games in general.

Like I'm trying to enjoy myself but at any moment a disconnection bug occurs all my progress is lost or a trophy is not achieved. I hate games where you have to grind with 4 or 8 people. I remember in Burnout having to have 8 people park at the stadium, I mean who thinks that is fun to do?

Most stressful was TIR boosting in Dead Rising 2 on PS4. It crashes randomly all the time and getting 4 player to actually start a game was nigh in impossible, you'd search for a room, and couldn't join, at random.

In other words I get stressed by random things that are not in my control. It gets me angry when things are not going to plan and there is nothing I can do about it. But staring me in the face is that in reality those trophies are very easy.

Edited by enaysoft

59 minutes ago, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

Yeah but now that I'm older I try to stay away from games that demand too much, trophy wise (7+/10).  Lucky for me, most if not all games I want usually have simple, fun and easy trophies.... so not much stress these days.  

Your account is pretty good. You have a lot of games that I have or plan to put on my account.

As far as hard games go (7 out of 10 difficulty or higher), completely understandable. I had to take a break after Dead Space 2’s Hard Core. 

48 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I only get stressed with online boosting and online games in general.

Like I'm trying to enjoy myself but at any moment a disconnection bug occurs all my progress is lost or a trophy is not achieved. I hate games where you have to grind with 4 or 8 people. I remember in Burnout having to have 8 people park at the stadium, I mean who thinks that is fun to do?

Most stressful was TIR boosting in Dead Rising 2 on PS4. It crashes randomly all the time and getting 4 player to actually start a game was nigh in impossible, you'd search for a room, and couldn't join, at random.

In other words I get stressed by random things that are not in my control. It gets me angry when things are not going to plan and there is nothing I can do about it. But staring me in the face is that in reality those trophies are very easy.

This is probably why I won’t ever fully complete Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2.

I don’t like to boost, I prefer to naturally play through a game that has multiplayer. Some PS4 games you already have to boost because the playerbase has declined significantly. 

Something as basic as Far Cry 4, you may need people to help you boost. 

• Like 1

Depending on the game. Yes! Sometimes I do get stressed. Or I might have an OMG moment. How did that happen. Or retrying a level for the 67th time. That's when I take a break. Or switch to something else. No throwing controllers and I can avoid breaking my TV that way. ?

i have horrific anxiety so every game technically stresses me out. usually my first run if its a playthrough game i dont even look at trophies and then i can enjoy it without anxiety. but once im sick of the game and know i have trophies left and have to do another run through and i ocd about completing it thats when it kicks in the worst. i absolutely hate multiplayer games because im antisocial. and trying to organize a group of people together at the same time from other parts of the world to finish a dead game really makes my blood boil because you spend more time in the lobby then you do finishing the game

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

YouTube is your best friend when it comes to these.

Yeah, I'll admit I use YouTube a lot.  I just hate to play a game with my iPad in one hand because I'm afraid I'll miss something and have to replay the whole game again.  Much easier to enjoy a game when there is chapter select (can't deny it, I'm spoiled in that respect).

At times. I got super stressed going for online wins and the astral fissure wins in SCVI. I’m bad. I was literally screaming in rage multiple times. It’s why I followed that plat up with three chill licensed games which helped ease me out of it. 

The time trial in Titanfall 2 really stressed me out too. I got within 10 seconds and then 5 seconds and felt indescribable levels of disappointment, frustration and rage. I got it eventually damn it. Haven’t done anything really difficult since. Doubt I will for awhile.

its good to have a game lined up that is easy or laid back, I’m really having fun with the stress free nature of Farm Together. 

I am getting stressed out by the fact that there are constantly new releases I want to play, but havent even finished the previous installment; DMC5 - KH3 - RE2. I complete less games than I buy games. Just in 2019 alone 6-8 games have already been released that I am interested in and there are more to come (18 games that are not listed on my profile [released&not releasesd] + 32 games I still need to finish)

So when I play older releases like Batman right now, I get super stressed out when I fail at sth. that usually is not that hard. That leads to rushing things and not really enjoying the game for what it is and more errors/fails which lead to more stress ... you get it.

That there are also a few 100h+ plats I still need to tackle doesnt help either.

So TL:DR increasing backlog messes with mindset and ruins experience on older releases and leads to trophy-rushing = more stress

Edited by Mori

Hell yeah, I stress out a lot too. The game that has been stressing me a lot is TT Isle Of Man. It's a great game, but to win the TT needs patience as it is an 2 to 3 hour thing to finish off.

So luckily you can back out to the menu when you fall, as it needs to be perfectly done without falling and you need to do it 2 times everytime. I took a break from it, but I might get back to it again and finish the damn game and hopefully I will do it When I practice more etc and focus only on this game.

Edited by TazDevilz1986

On 2/27/2019 at 10:37 PM, iGGTheEnd said:

So lately I have been getting very stressed out if something isn't going my way when trophy hunting,  I know its stupid but I just can't help it.  I have been trying to go for some UR's lately because the rest of my plats are %20+ except for a select few.  But now that I am trying for Ultra rares I get very stressed like I just wasted 40-50 plus hours and I will never be able to achieve it and I could have had 2 other plats with the time I wasted.  

Currently I am trying to plat Defenders quest and I am so close to the end but the last few levels just feel impossible to me which gets worse because I can play a level for over an hour and end up failing it at the end.

If you do get stressed sometimes from trying for plats which games were the worst for you?

I really get this. I don't know if "stressed" is the word I would use, but there have 100% been moments in games where a trophy that's only 20-40% in rarity is giving me a bit of a hassle and I stop playing for the day, I will literally think about it as I'm doing other stuff and think "geez do I really suck that much, what if it's a glitch, what if this denies me the platinum" and then I go at it the next day and most of the time get it fairly quickly lol. 

You have a cool account though man! That Bastion platinum is cool, and I also have a serious question since you seem to enjoy roguelikes. Do you recommend Dead Cells? I was tempted to pick it up for $20 at Gamestop since I like supporting indies but some of the trophies that are sub-5% look mad scary. I also compared our accounts and cannot recommend Wizard of Legend enough to you dude, I've been hooked on it the last few days and even though it's kicking my ass (only won once in like 40 attempts) I'm having a blast. 

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Do you recommend Dead Cells?

Hell yes you should get Dead Cells. Especially now that they've added custom mode.... The problem I had before the big update was that I felt like experimentation was hindered by the fact that unlocking many weapons would dilute the good ones. At the beginning this didn't bother me since I was experimenting and trying to find the best weapons for my playstyle. But once I started going for serious runs, not being able to disable the "bad" weapons (for my playstyle) made the game a bit more frustrating than it should have been. 

With custom mode this is "fixed". In my opinion this is a fantastic game, and if you are interested even in the slightest, I think Motion Twin deserves your support :) Have fun!

22 hours ago, Bilpe said:

Yeah, I'll admit I use YouTube a lot.  I just hate to play a game with my iPad in one hand because I'm afraid I'll miss something and have to replay the whole game again.  Much easier to enjoy a game when there is chapter select (can't deny it, I'm spoiled in that respect).

I hear you, I really don't like playing a game with a guide, at all. I always try to play a game blind, but make exceptions when the game is too long to play multiple times. For example, Red Dead Redemption 2 has a couple of missable trophies in the story mode and is waaaaaay too long to play twice.. Same with Persona 5 (takes 120+h even with a freaking guide)

On the other hand, games like Nioh are a blast to play because you can simply jump in blind and worry about trophies once you're done with your initial playthrough. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcesus7 said:

I hear you, I really don't like playing a game with a guide, at all. I always try to play a game blind, but make exceptions when the game is too long to play multiple times. For example, Red Dead Redemption 2 has a couple of missable trophies in the story mode and is waaaaaay too long to play twice.. Same with Persona 5 (takes 120+h even with a freaking guide)

On the other hand, games like Nioh are a blast to play because you can simply jump in blind and worry about trophies once you're done with your initial playthrough. 

I consort a guide first and foremost if there are any missables. The story related trophies I go in completely blind. If they're trophies I can get just by playing the game like most people do then I don't look at the guide at all.

I'm glad that Red Dead Redemption 2 is a long game. As much as I enjoyed The Order 1886, it was far too short of an experience.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I consort a guide first and foremost if there are any missables. The story related trophies I go in completely blind. If they're trophies I can get just by playing the game like most people do then I don't look at the guide at all.

I'm glad that Red Dead Redemption 2 is a long game. As much as I enjoyed The Order 1886, it was far too short of an experience.

Yeah that's exactly what I do too. Look out for missables, or if the game requires you to play through it multiple times anyways, like Hyper Light Drifter, do the first playhthrough blind anyways. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind RDR2 being long.. Indeed, I prefer spending 150h on this game than play 5 other games in that time of lower quality. But 4 missable trophies in a 60h story mode... come on. Luckily reading up what the missables are don't spoil this game at all, so it's not too bad. 

14 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

Yeah that's exactly what I do too. Look out for missables, or if the game requires you to play through it multiple times anyways, like Hyper Light Drifter, do the first playhthrough blind anyways. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind RDR2 being long.. Indeed, I prefer spending 150h on this game than play 5 other games in that time of lower quality. But 4 missable trophies in a 60h story mode... come on. Luckily reading up what the missables are don't spoil this game at all, so it's not too bad. 

Yeah that can be traumatizing. 

The original Red Dead Redemption is probably my favorite game of last gen and definitely up there with one of my all time favorites. It had the perfect balance of collectibles, fun activities, quirky but enjoyable story missions, and addictive multiplayer. 

I think I spent 40 hours or so in the single player, but I spent over 250 - 300 hours on multiplayer. 

Still, the sequel isn’t as long as The Witcher 3. There are some missables like the Gwent cards and if you just didn’t make a backup save you can royally screw yourself.

I want the GT Sport plat but Level 50 is a total chore, I spend all my time online in that game and the XP reward is just not there. Now DiRT 2.0 dropped it's never going to happen. I hate dumb trophies like that just not worth the effort. I'll take the red bull challenge again, all three tracks on a pad, over that level 50 shit.

Stressed, at times, yes. Taking too long on speed runs, having terrible RNG, missing a collectable or two, difficulty modes. I either attempt them until I can achieve it or submit to my scrubness and move on to other stuff.

Extremely stressed, though? If it comes to that, then it's time to get away from gaming and do something else.

• 4 years later...

it's likely because the world is moving faster now than it did when trophies first came out (2008)...theres so much to do now it's overwhelming i have FOMA on a daily basis & putting 50+ hours in a game especially if the trophy isn't certain or doesn't pop can feel like a huge waste of time that could have went towards something else