Getting really tired of this generation and Sony

fbdbh

I haven’t bought anything recently because I’ve been working on my backlog. 

I’m playing Trine: Enhanced Edition right now and for me personally, is much more engaging than anything Sony Computer Entertainment has put out. 

Going from God of War 3 to God of War 2018 was underwhelming. I completely get that Kratos is forging a new future for himself and there was little Sony Santa Monica could do regarding the story. But I haven’t felt more bored with a AAA game than I did playing God of War 2018, in ever. It was like I was forced to sit through a HBO drama because there was really very little that they did gameplay wise that was great. 

Too many of today’s AAA games are copying each other. I don’t want to play a bunch of games that all have the same control scheme and feel. I want a new experience and a different outlook. 

One of the problems is these companies can’t afford to take risks. Back in the PlayStation 2 era they were able to take more risks, because the graphics and gameplay were evolving. 

Today it’s more about taking the beaten path and making everything streamlined. Shadow of the Tomb Raider just borrows everything it has, it doesn’t play any differently from many other new AAA games I have seen. 

In conclusion, paying $59.99 for a game that is shallow but looks great isn’t worth the price tag. 

It’s pretty sad that companies like Drinkbox Studios that made Guacamelee 2 who don’t have the budget or the fanbase can make something that is a lot more stimulating and original.

If I want to revisit some of these newer big budget games I can probably just go on Netflix or Amazon Prime and watch a one hour melodrama television series. Only problem is I have to spend many hours of my life catching up with the story because every show these days is one giant story arc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Sony have gained fantastic credit from me with the phenomenal PSVR (how much more innovative and risky a proposition could you want?!).

Innovative sure, for people who have no trouble getting "tied down". But then another kind of gamers (like me) find it inconvenient and expensive, and are left behind with the killing of the handheld extension (Vita or anything similar). For this, I'm more jealous about the Switch than VR. 

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

But I haven’t felt more bored with a AAA game than I did playing God of War 2018, in ever. It was like I was forced to sit through a HBO drama because there was really very little that they did gameplay wise that was great. 

This was especially striking when I went back to clean up post-game, and it's just... so empty, and backtracking is the worst. Can't jump down from a man-height ledge, because you just... have to climb it. Combat is really shallow.

3 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Innovative sure, for people who have no trouble getting "tied down". But then another kind of gamers (like me) find it inconvenient and expensive, and are left behind with the killing of the handheld extension (Vita or anything similar). For this, I'm more jealous about the Switch than VR. 

The Switch is more portable and easier to access than the Playstation VR. 

As much hate is directed towards Nintendo for their aging franchises and characters, they are one of the few left that have stuck with their roots. I cannot say the same for Sony or Microsoft. 

5 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

This was especially striking when I went back to clean up post-game, and it's just... so empty, and backtracking is the worst. Can't jump down from a man-height ledge, because you just... have to climb it. Combat is really shallow.

It’s clear they were trying to cash in on the open world cash cow. 

I feel like all these big developers are trying to copy the Assassins Creed formula. Everything from the story progression to finding collectibles. 

Last generation you were able to tell the difference between Assassins Creed 2 and God of War 3. Today? God of War 2018 and Assassins Creed Odyssey bear a striking resemblance in many ways. One game is just several times longer to complete. 

Marvel’s Spider-Man is just more open world fare. After playing it for several hours I just find it rather boring and monotone. Everything just feels formulaic. And that is a bad thing for a Sony exclusive. 

These games are more powerful and are graphic powerhouses. But when compared to games like ICO and Metal Gear Solid 3 which were both innovative and offered a stimulating experience, these newer titles are just shallow. 

I don’t know. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m older.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terra said:

Did the Labo ever catch on? I remember it being heavily advertised but it sort of just stopped. 

I've read stories about buying the things and now they're just gathering dust, because they did exactly one thing and one thing only.

3 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The real joke is how poorly certain people handle positive facts about things they personally dislike.

I don't dislike it. I just don't understand how cardboard can sell that many units. I mean, I could do that with any box but again, I don't know what people see it in. If they like, fine with them but I'll be spending my money on other things.

I get where you're coming from in the sense that AAA games and even the exclusives are getting a bit stale, but I don't get why people seem to get so irritated by it.  Mainstream will always follow popular trends (battle royale, games as service, cinematic third person action and open world, etc) so it's possible this particular wave isn't for you.  It won't be that way forever.  Thankfully in the meantime there are just tons of games coming out every month from all walks of the industry (exclusives, multiplatform AAA's, indies, etc).  There's more variety (and quality) than ever these days.  Just don't be afraid to scratch a little deeper than the surface when it comes to surfing the storefronts for games, and always approach new games with an open mind, and you'll be fine.

And FWIW, IMO, Sony and Nintendo are still tops as far as great exclusive games go.  If you care about exclusivity in particular.  The PC may have backwards compatibility on its side but as a pretty prototypical console gamer these days, there just isn't much else going on there.  Most indie gems make their way onto consoles sooner than later these days, and from there you're left with basically strategy games and MMO's.  Meh.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

The only thing that annoys me on PS4 is lackluster PS Store (because Steam spoiled me) - you can't buy a game as a gift and send it to your friend, you can't see your wishlist on console (and it doesn't even remove games from there when you buy them), you can't receive an e-mail with notification when game is on sale. Refunding games on Steam was great deal (especially for achievement-whore games, hehe), but I know it'd be too much to ask for Sony, so I don't complain about it.

Software-wise, only two exclusives from Sony so far - The Last of Us and first LittleBigPlanet, and these are last-generation games - were something really special and gave me amount of excitement comparable to 3D Mario or Zelda games. If not the trophies and almost nonexistent influence of Nintendo in my country, I'd probably bought Switch first, and PS4 later.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

Pheraps be greatful that you're alive in the 21st Century, and you get to play video games on PS4. Let that sink in. If these are your "honest" critiques of Sony, then my God have they done a good job at delivering the best possible experiences all these years. I personally don't see much merit to what you're saying, but I suppose if you think Sony is being lazy or whatever you were implying, then pheraps switch to Xbox or PC gaming and see if you enjoy that more. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

The only thing that annoys me on PS4 is lackluster PS Store (because Steam spoiled me) - you can't buy a game as a gift and send it to your friend, you can't see your wishlist on console (and it doesn't even remove games from there when you buy them), you can't receive an e-mail with notification when game is on sale. Refunding games on Steam was great deal (especially for achievement-whore games, hehe), but I know it'd be too much to ask for Sony, so I don't complain about it.

I mean this, yes, why is it so? Sony doesn't do anything about the store. Everything you've listed is essential for an online store, it was in 2010, let alone in 2019.

Support is also rude, dismissive, and unprofessional.

Just now, CristianX-97 said:

Pheraps be greatful that you're alive in the 21st Century, and you get to play video games on PS4. Let that sink in. If these are your "honest" critiques of Sony, then my God have they done a good job at delivering the best possible experiences all these years. I personally don't see much merit to what you're saying, but I suppose if you think Sony is being lazy or whatever you were implying, then pheraps switch to Xbox or PC gaming and see if you enjoy that more. 

Don't misunderstand. I love Sony, and I always loved them specifically because they kept pushing like no other company out there. 

Nintendo and Xbox are no better, but since last year's E3 I can definitely tell that they are trying harder than Sony.

You've gotta look at Sony and think they're gearing up for the PS5. Why would they put all their efforts in the PS4 when they've got their new console coming. It's like saving to buy a new car but spending most of your money on the old one, just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

ive seen some videos about the laboVR. looks very interesting and intuitive, but in the end its a cardboard box you're paying 100 bucks or more for. what if it gets wet? ? ripped even? perhaps bent. tough luck then i guess. as for the OP topic, i think too many games are going towards the open world or battle royale phase atm and its getting to be quite stale. everyone wants a piece of the pie and its hard to blame the companies when they see all the dollars that can be made, but i do believe it would be worth a risk to try something new like a few indie games do (a few indie games that deserve massive budgets for how great those games were)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nyonmyan said:

The most offensive thing to me is how they fucked over Vita, milked it with overpriced memory cards for some measly profit and then straight up murdered it.

And after that they go out of their way to fund and shill worthless VR. If Vita got half of support they gave to VR it wouldn't ended up like that.

My theory is that there are Nintendo saboteurs within Sony CEOs. At least that's the only reasonable explanation for this shit.

It does suck that the Vita ended up like that and it is definitely their fault, but I imagine they just realized they would not beat the 3DS so they just gave up on it. On the other hand, Astro Bot did very well for them and they have 0 competitors in console VR so it makes sense for them to pursue it more than the Vita.

2 hours ago, NekoRave said:

You mean like dead ps2 classics project, vita, backwards compatibility and in general laziness?

What I'm saying is the truth lol, my perspective is when Sony is at the top them "trying" is marginal effort to make the fanboys happy.

But that's just my opinion on them, which is pretty fair.

This signature is honestly the funniest shit I've come across to on this site it feels so surreal I love it, it makes you wonder what kind of events occurred that led to you to having to write this and put it as a sig, never change it ?

Just now, Atom1cMoose said:

but i do believe it would be worth a risk to try something new like a few indie games do (a few indie games that deserve massive budgets for how great those games were)

Funnily enough, I see indies getting stale as well :P The holy trinity of polished 3D walking simulators, 8/16 bit platformers and Dark Souls reinterpretations never fail to amuse me.