Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

11 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

nice try

i have loads of hard plats, UR plats, ezpz plats… u name it. I play what I want when I want. And enjoy roughly 95% of games I’ve played. the opinions/approvals of random ppl on the internet about the quality of my profile is the least of my concerns ;)

Oh I'm sure you aren't concerned in the slightest. If you had any shame, you wouldn't be doing the easy plats in the first place.

I was just trying to understand the angle that weird response came from — and because it didn't make sense in any way whatsoever, I determined you must've been hurt by what I said. From the bottom of my heart, I am truly sorry.

Edited by ryanofx92

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I agree - (and as a family man with diminishing time, and reflexes, I wholeheartedly agree ?) - all I'm saying is, when I look up a game, I'd still like to know whether it is 'difficult' or just 'long', you know?

I am in the same boat. If i see a game I would like to platinum, the difficulty comes after the time requirement. No Man's Sky was a long plat, but it wasnt hard at all. I probably wouldn't have the same amount of time to get it like I did when I got it years back, so now it would be more difficult to platinum. Demon's Souls was a pretty hard platinum for me, but that was because I found the gameplay more challening and I'm not used to Souls games and their learning curve. It took me nowhere near as long as No Man's Sky, and I'm pretty sure NMS is more rare than Demon's Souls. I think it's because in Demon's alot more variables are in the control of the player, whereas NMS is procedurally generated so things sometimes just dont go your way for a while and RNG can really suck. But to me they were both difficult, just in different aspects. 

As far as UR, I consider both PSN and PSNP. PSN is what the vast majority of people will see, friends I play with etc. PSNP helps kind of hone down on what the trophy community in general is doing. This is also a much more concentrated community than the entirety of PSN so I take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, an UR on PSNP is cool, but I wont specifically chase them down just to have my profile here full of them. I just play what I play and if its rare then cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahmedelebiary said:

The thing that I noticed is that there are not many UR plats on PS4 compared to the predecessor (PS3) ? I'm trying to make a list of PS4 UR plats of the genres that I usually like and play but it's tricky..

I don't know which genre you prefer but it's just the opposite. The page statistics show me these numbers.

-PS3 8600 UR trophies with 675 UR :platinum:

-PS4 22000 UR trophies with 1522 UR :platinum:

Edited by D-E-U-S-X
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

the point is, trying to swing your e-peen is pointless, cuz the only person who really cares about your profile.. is u 

That's almost always true of all of us, but you're special today Honda... today, this random dude seems to care a bizarre amount about your profile too  :blink: ?

I guess take it as a compliment :dunno:?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Not really important to me. If I do not want to play a game, an ultra rare plat will not convince me to play it, and if I want to play a game or get a game for free or nearly free then it not having ultra rare will not deter me from playing it, or even common ones, as a few games on my profile can attest to. Sure, due to how human psychology works for many people, myself included, it being ultra rare or sub 1% ultra rare is a nice bonus, because accomplishing something many people have tried and failed, or not even bothered to really try, is a nice addition to unlocking a platinum, but at the end of the day that is all it is to me. Can't deny that some profiles look really impressive stacking those ultra rares on top of each other, at least when compared to the common stacks, even if rarity is not always a sign for an impressive plat.

Edited by Nighcisama

5 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

What do I need to be ashamed of?

By any metric, my profile is more impressive than yours

More trophies

More platinums

Higher completion rate

Harder games

More 0.xx% UR trophies 

Don’t have the stigma of “oh no he has hidden trophies so he must be a hacker”

the point is, trying to swing your e-peen is pointless, cuz the only person who really cares about your profile.. is u

I told you already: "Easy plats" are what you ought to be ashamed of. But of course, you'd rather ignore that and take the opportunity to swing your "e-peen" at me, while simultaneously criticising me for swinging mine... even though I didn't because not once did I mention myself.

And even then, I'm not sure the stuff you shamelessly rattled off is true. Harder games? I couldn't see many. But it is kinda hard to tell when you have to scroll through so much shit to even find just real games, hard or not.

Stigma of hidden trophies? So you went through all the trouble of checking both my PSNP and my actual PSN account just to make a terrible point? My god, you really are upset.

But yes, after all that, it is true that the only one who cares is yourself... Which kinda makes it even worse that you have hundreds of easy plats because you must, therefore, be doing them solely for your own amusement... Somehow??? ?

• Like 2

I don't care much about UR. Rarity is not only correlated to difficulty and/or time requirement.

The rarity is actually a multi-dimensional correlation and can't be reduced to one or two variables. Examples for more correlated variables:

- Price tag. A free game naturally has more owners than a full price game without big sales in the past.

- Quality / fun factor. It is much more likely that someone will finish a trophy list that is fun compared to one that isn't. Even when the game is hard (e.g. 27% rarity for Sekiro)

- Expected difficulty. If a guide claims that a platinum is 10/10 difficulty, most people won't even try out hat game and stay off forever. Only some will jump in for the challenge.

- AAA vs. Indie. AAA titles will attract more players than indies. Marketing budget also heavily affects the number of owners.

- Experience with similar games. People know what they can expect from a long running series (e.g. Soulsborne) vs. the first game from a development studio no one has heard of before.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's almost always true of all of us, but you're special today Honda... today, this random dude seems to care a bizarre amount about your profile too  :blink: 1f602.png

I guess take it as a compliment :dunno:1f602.png

I'm not sure if you read all the comments but you have his checking the finer details of my account on both PSNP and PSN and swinging a list of favourable numbers at me VS my checking his PSNP for 10 seconds in order to add context to a bizzare comment just to be greeted with hundreds of easy plats...

I'm not convinced you've directed that comment at the right user ?

Edited by ryanofx92

I'm planning on playing Aquanaut's holiday eventually, because I finished Afrika and any and all games involving scuba diving. There's literally no games based on ecology left that I have yet to 100%. I have a copy in my backlog.

The plat is around 17-20% making it rare to uncommon, but the game itself isn't widely known or even considered a classic by many. But it's a very unique game.

So it's like you're going to miss playing a lot of interesting stuff by just chasing overall rarity. I'm looking at many of the profiles by people who have hundreds of games completed and I only wind up having a small handful of games in common with them. They're not the types who seem to finish entire JRPG series like Legend of Heroes.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

4 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

I'm not sure if you read all the comments but you have his checking the finer details of my account on both PSNP and PSN and swinging a list of favourable numbers at me VS my checking his PSNP for 10 seconds to be greeted with hundreds of easy plats...

I think you are missing how this site works - Your profile states at the top of the game list that you have 214 hidden trophies - @HondaHoe didn't need to look at your PSN account profile to figure that out. 

Also, there are plenty of 'nothing but EZPZ Plat' accounts out there, but Honda's isn't one of them. It's a pretty healthy mix of genres, difficulties, lengths and challenge - exactly what comes from having a long term profile that has been built up over time, but with a half-an-eye on PSNP site metrics such as total plats, completion percentage etc. :dunno:

There might be users out there that your jab might have stuck to more pointedly, but Honda's isn't one of them, no matter which way you slice it.

Even if it was - it wouldn't make it any more acceptable to do so though.

I'm not convinced you've directed that comment at the right user ?

I'm fully convinced that I did.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

- Expected difficulty. If a guide claims that a platinum is 10/10 difficulty, most people won't even try out hat game and stay off forever. Only some will jump in for the challenge.

I agree with more than just this that you said, but this especially. I think guide writers need to temper themselves when they give a game a super high difficulty. I don't remember sitting here how I rated the games I made the guides for, but because what you said is true and especially because difficulty is often overstated in guides on this site, people are turned away for no real reason. It's the guide writer's own opinion obviously but anything above a 7/10 and you're getting VERY serious about what that game actually takes imo

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think you are missing how this site works - Your profile states at the top of the game list that you have 214 hidden trophies - @HondaHoe didn't need to look at your PSN account profile to figure that out.

Wasn't aware of that. But my point still stands.

Also, there are plenty of 'nothing but EZPZ Plat' accounts out there, but Honda's isn't one of them. It's a pretty healthy mix of genres, difficulties, lengths and challenge - exactly what comes from having a long term profile that has been built up over time, but with a half-an-eye on PSNP site metrics such as total plats, completion percentage etc. :dunno:

Other accounts are irrelevant.

There might be users out there that your jab might have stuck to more pointedly, but Honda's isn't one of them, no matter which way you slice it

I mean you have to have such a sad, pathetic mindset to actually believe that. Or perhaps total blindness.

I'm fully convinced that I did.

Yet you are evidently wrong.

7 minutes ago, ryanofx92 said:

Wasn't aware of that. But my point still stands.

imagine making an uninformed statement 

being factually corrected

acknowledging said correction

and then still insisting that your wrong point is still valid ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

imagine making an uninformed statement 

being factually corrected

acknowledging said correction

and then still insisting that your wrong point is still valid 1f602.png

Imagine ignoring everything else I've said because you don't have a comeback, only to make yet another nonsensical statement about how my being wrong about a very small part of my overall point suddenly invalidates my whole point.

Yes, the assertion that you spent more time staring at my profile is still very obviously correct.

Edited by ryanofx92

19 minutes ago, yuber1234 said:

Yes there is. Just because the correlation isn't 100% does not mean there isn't a correlation.

It is true that not every ultra rare trophy is difficult and it is also true that there are tough trophies with high percentages. In the case of almost anything, there is no perfect metric, but this is the closest thing that we have to measuring difficulty at a quick glance.

You can provide tons of examples of easy ultra rares. If you want to be salty, you could probably even provide examples of gamers that went out of their way to fill their profiles with the least challenging UR plats possible. That doesn't change the fact that it is currently the most reliable metric we have for measuring difficulty at a quick glance.

And the idea of ultra rare = difficulty is definitely true in the other direction. If you see a plat with 90%+ percent rarity, it's going to be a very easy plat.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. rather than repeating my points again, I'll quote one of @DrBloodmoney's points instead, because I think his reasoning make sense

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

And my point is that I think there are more of those outliers than you think - and at a certain point, those outliers begin to diminish the integrity of the statement "the overwhelming driving force are the two factors of difficulty and time needed"

I appreciate the point you are making, but I just think, in the case of difficulty, it's less of a direct correlation than you think it is.

Granted, my assumption is based on anecdotal or limited data (my own experience and profile), but unless you are willing to actually make the graph you are talking about, then so is yours.

Maybe if some crazy person actually did do such a graph, that would convince me, but given that the only info I have says otherwise, I have to assume I am correct based on the fact that the limited data I have tells me so.

Of the limited info available to me (my own profile) I can categorically state that I found the most difficulty games were not often the rarest.

In some cases though, they were the grindiest, or the longest, so I can see a much closer relationship between time and rarity than I do with difficulty and rarity. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. rather than repeating my points again, I'll quote one of @DrBloodmoney's points instead, because I think his reasoning make sense

My god. Just when I thought you couldn't get more stupid, you disagree with something a 3-year-old could see is obviously true, then quote some of the most terrible reasoning I've ever seen, which I'll sum up below:

"It's not true because you haven't spent hundreds of hours graphing the data."

You and Bloodmoney are on a whole other level.

I can't really look at any of my ultra rare plats or even most of my ultra rare trophies and think "I'm proud of that because of how hard it was to get"

A rarity leaderboard would give a lot more value to them as a lot of the easy ones would get weeded out as more people start chasing them and rarity = difficulty would start to become a much more accurate metric (easy UR unobtainables because of servers will always be an issue but the easy ones like that would stand out far more than they do now)