Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

I know we are getting off topic and my apologies to the OP so for that topic no I don’t care about UR or common trophies just to enjoy the game! @steel6burgh nioh 2 is harder cause the enemies do hit harder and have twice the amount of health bosses also ,so your combat lasts for like 10 minutes instead of 5 so you have more chances of dying and they have bigger move set BUT it gives more things to complete it so pretty much once you learn those mechanics it becomes easier but it’s harder to master! Plus you have the experience of 1st and plus you have co-op ,I played it solo maybe that’s why! But in 1st one the tournament did 1st try and against all odds example took me like 50 tries! I mean I understand if u think otherwise just my opinion though!

26 minutes ago, totakos1 said:

I know we are getting off topic and my apologies to the OP so for that topic no I don’t care about UR or common trophies just to enjoy the game! @steel6burgh nioh 2 is harder cause the enemies do hit harder and have twice the amount of health bosses also ,so your combat lasts for like 10 minutes instead of 5 so you have more chances of dying and they have bigger move set BUT it gives more things to complete it so pretty much once you learn those mechanics it becomes easier but it’s harder to master! Plus you have the experience of 1st and plus you have co-op ,I played it solo maybe that’s why! But in 1st one the tournament did 1st try and against all odds example took me like 50 tries! I mean I understand if u think otherwise just my opinion though!

yeah it's a opinion I respect that.  I found the 1st one much harder do to the fights where you are fighting several bosses at a time.  I found it much harder.  i did the 2nd one completely solo where the 1st one I played much of it in co-op.  Still had more trouble with the 1st one even with 2 of us.

• Like 1

I like getting them just because it's cool to have unlocked something very very few have. However the reason for them being Ultra Rare varies widely.

Currently I am playing Kingdom Come Deliverance which has several of them and none are hard in my opinion it's just all the setup work to get them but at the start of this year I binged the 3 main Arkham games and those platinums are all around 10% or higher IIRC. This amazes me because the combat and stealth challenges are incredibly challenging and I am still surprised to this day so many got the platinums, sure 100% is in the Ultra Rare range but damn. It's akin to the soulsborne games mentioned above very hard but it has become an embraced niche inflating what would probably otherwise be an Ultra Rare platinum. 

Are they important, no ultimately but like someone said earlier, they are a nice cherry on top of my games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Dude... Sekiro is one of the their most accessible games by a mile. 

FromSoftware constantly puts out Souls-like games because of how accessible and popular they are. I can think of at least three FromSoftware games that are much harder than Sekiro: 

1. Armored Core: Last Raven (Portable or console, both are insanely hard but the former is much harder). 
  2. Yoshitsune Eiyuden 
  3. Shadow Tower Abyss

Sekiro is so disgustingly easy compared to these games. 

EDIT: Dude, I can just stick with Armored Core titles. Those games are not a joke in terms of difficulty. You don't get healing items, you have a finite amount of ammo. Like... Sekiro actually is so easy compared to those games, lol. 

I shouldn’t have said “From Software games” but rather “Soulsborne games” as that is what we were discussing and what I meant to refer to.

I wouldn’t know an older From Software title from a pimple on my ass unfortunately. My gaming history and knowledge is not as deep as some. But now that you mention it I am going to look into some of their old PS3 titles as I’m always on the hunt for cheap PS3 games to add to my collection and I’d love to see what kinda shit they used to make before Dark Souls changed the game.

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

People still livestream Dark Souls 1 because of how good it is.

I might have to start Dark Souls Remastered tonight. It’s been a few years and this talk is making me nostalgic.

4 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Well, my comment you quoted was about how much I like the game; not how I feel about its difficulty. Vanquish is an incredible game, so yeah, I'm going to platinum as much as I can. Fits in with me getting all of the PlatinumGames platinums as well. 

I was talking to a friend about this earlier, and I think 6-7 is about where it's at for new players. You and I would agree that something like Crypt of the Necro Dancer is like a 10/10, right? I can't give Vanquish an 8 if Necro is a 10. 

It's 100% a platinum that requires skill and tenacity -- and yes, it's worth being proud of. 8-9 is a bit too high for my standards, however. We may have to agree to disagree on that one. 

EDIT: There are harder PlatinumGames titles to platinum that require more skill. Such as The Wonderful 101. 

Thinking about it now you may be right, it does lean into a 7 for sure. Possibly a high 7 at least.

Id say overall it’s the hardest platinum title tho, MGR may be harder(haven’t 1000g it since my 360 days)

Here’s my personal take on Platinum games platinums in order from hardest to easiest

Vanquish

Metal Gear Rising

TMNT MiM(just cus it’s a rough grind

Transformers Dev

Anarchy Rein

Nier Automata without trophy shop 

Bayonetta

Kora

Nier Automata(Easiest games is the best game lol)

Unless W101 is a secretly monster I think this is pretty accurate

P.S I haven’t play Wonder 101 yet?

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

Yes, they are important. Something that is an optional hobby that gives one enjoyment like gaming should not limit its difficulty to appease everyone. Some games need to be insanely hard, while others need to be extremely easy. If one finds a game too hard, then they should go find something else that has a more preferable difficulty. People should not be complaining about games being too hard or too easy. If you do not like the difficulty of the game you are playing, then adjust the difficulty if you can or stop playing. You can still experience the story and the lore of Dark Souls and what it is about by watching a playthrough of it on YouTube and enjoy what the developers have to offer.

Every form of entertainment has a wide variety of options within it. When it comes to music, If you find radio music to be too generic or ear-friendly, then turn on Death Grips for a more musically complex listen. Likewise, if Death Grips is too abrasive, sounds like a bunch of nonsense and overall is just pain to the ear, then play Teenage Dream by Katy Perry and have a much safer listen. 

TL;DR/moral of the story: we each like different things. Find what you really enjoy and do it. Like to enjoy getting ultra rare platinum trophies? Go for it. The trophies are too hard? Forget them, and play something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatinumNumemon said:

Every form of entertainment has a wide variety of options within it. When it comes to music, If you find radio music to be too generic or ear-friendly, then turn on Death Grips for a more musically complex listen. Likewise, if Death Grips is too abrasive, sounds like a bunch of nonsense and overall is just pain to the ear, then play Teenage Dream by Katy Perry and have a much safer listen.

Katy Perry and people like Lady Gaga appeal to a mass audience, therefore a lot of their songs are in many respects, dumbed down. Death Grips has a niche following.

MF DOOM throughout his entire rapping career was always underground. He never truly appealed to the masses, but for people who loved good hip hop he was one of the best out there. All of the bubblegum pop rappers out there today appeal to kids and to a mainstream audience. That's generally how it goes.

If Taylor Swift is too shallow, there are far better options out there from artists who actually make music because they have a passion for it. The main issue is the lack of exposure.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I shouldn’t have said “From Software games” but rather “Soulsborne games” as that is what we were discussing and what I meant to refer to.

I wouldn’t know an older From Software title from a pimple on my ass unfortunately. My gaming history and knowledge is not as deep as some. But now that you mention it I am going to look into some of their old PS3 titles as I’m always on the hunt for cheap PS3 games to add to my collection and I’d love to see what kinda shit they used to make before Dark Souls changed the game.

I appreciate you properly elucidating that. Look into Armored Core. 

18 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Thinking about it now you may be right, it does lean into a 7 for sure. Possibly a high 7 at least.

Id say overall it’s the hardest platinum title tho, MGR may be harder(haven’t 1000g it since my 360 days)

Here’s my personal take on Platinum games platinums in order from hardest to easiest

Vanquish

Metal Gear Rising

TMNT MiM(just cus it’s a rough grind

Transformers Dev

Anarchy Rein

Nier Automata without trophy shop 

Bayonetta

Kora

Nier Automata(Easiest games is the best game lol)

Unless W101 is a secretly monster I think this is pretty accurate

P.S I haven’t play Wonder 101 yet1f605.png

Yeah I think I would agree with that list. I think a case can be made for Metal Gear Rising, but it just depends on this outlook: 

Vanquish has one trophy that stops many from platting it -- but it means just beating all of the Tactical Challenges. Metal Gear Rising has many hurdles. Now, I will say that while of those may be challenging, I found simply beating Tactical Challenge 6 to be harder than any of them. But there's certainly an argument to be made for a singular, more intense hurdle, versus hurdles that aren't as strenuous, though still difficult. 

If someone puts MGR above Vanquish, or even vice versa, I don't really have any reason to question it. 

Edited by CelestialRequiem

17 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

Rarity doesn't necessarily correlate with difficulty, but there are definitely instances it does.  There's a reason why the Street Fighter games have stayed ultra rare, for example. They'd be even more rare of folks didn't boost online.

I agree.

However, people really don’t understand the definition of “correlation”; it is baffling. Correlation does not mean for every individual instance.  But it does mean more enough instances, where you can form a clear pattern.  This is absolutely true for rarity percentages and difficulty/time needed.  

In real world terms, speeding is correlated with higher likelihood for accidents.  Folks can bring up all kinds of discussion about how some speeders don’t get in accidents (very true) and some non-speeders do have accidents (also very true), but there is an overwhelming correlation between speeding and traffic accidents.

There is a reason why Insurance companies hike your premiums if you get a speeding ticket.  They know the data and you are a much higher risk to put in a claim because of an accident.  

Or pick your own analogy.  Smoking is highly correlated to lung cancer.  Again many positive and negative counter exceptions but you can’t deny it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I agree.

However, people really don’t understand the definition of “correlation”; it is baffling. Correlation does not mean for every individual instance.  But it does mean more enough instances, where you can form a clear pattern.  This is absolutely true for rarity percentages and difficulty/time needed.  

In real world terms, speeding is correlated with higher likelihood for accidents.  Folks can bring up all kinds of discussion about how some speeders don’t get in accidents (very true) and some non-speeders do have accidents (also very true), but there is an overwhelming correlation between speeding and traffic accidents.

There is a reason why Insurance companies hike your premiums if you get a speeding ticket.  They know the data and you are a much higher risk to put in a claim because of an accident.  

Or pick your own analogy.  Smoking is highly correlated to lung cancer.  Again many positive and negative counter exceptions but you can’t deny it.

I'm still going to say rarity does not equal difficulty. There can be a horrendous grind, hundreds of hours, that gives you a sub one percent platinum at the end of your journey. It may be easy to do, it's not difficult in terms of skill, but it requires a hell of a lot of commitment. I can argue that time is a different measure of difficulty.

The only true measure of rarity is how many people have done something as opposed to people who haven't. The original PS3 version of Vanquish has a far lower platinum rarity than the PS4 version. That's because most of everyone who played the PS4 version already knew what they were getting into as they played it before in the past. The challenges however still stop most people from getting all the trophies due to their difficulty.

Dead Space 2 I regard as harder than most ultra rares I've done. Hardcore Mode had me lose hours of progress due to dying a number of times. But it was still a fantastic game.

Street Fighter was always difficult, and despite the fanbase it has had for so long, most people aren't going to put in the effort to do those relentless trials, or slave away at online trying to reach the golden league. Their ultra rare status is completely understandable.

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

I'm still going to say rarity does not equal difficulty. There can be a horrendous grind, hundreds of hours, that gives you a sub one percent platinum at the end of your journey. It may be easy to do, it's not difficult in terms of skill, but it requires a hell of a lot of commitment. I can argue that time is a different measure of difficulty.

Oh, I never said they equal each other.  Correlated is a different thing and yes if you factor in both difficulty and time needed, the correlation gets much stronger.  

But there is no denying on the whole that as difficulty goes up, rarity % goes down.  If time needed goes up, rarity % goes down.  It is not a perfect match (no data set is) but they are very much interlinked.  And yes, there is noise at the margins, but you get an undeniable pattern in aggregate.

For the overwhelming majority of games, if you know the difficulty level and time needed to platinum, you have a GREAT idea of what the rarity percentage will be.  

There are other variables too, including if it was offered on PS Plus, interest level or quality of game to complete, genre even, but those aren’t as highly correlated.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Wild-Arms-R said:

Resident Evil Rev 2 is ultra Rare and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is very rare…figure it out.

Purely number of players I think. I haven’t played either (although I’m looking forward to starting NGS soon) but from what I understand the NG games simply have a low number of players, many of whom are quite dedicated. The game I’m playing atm, SMT nocturne, is similar in that regard. That being said, in general I agree with the overall consensus that rarity is determined by difficulty more often than not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

However, people really don’t understand the definition of “correlation”; it is baffling. 

hmmmm

cor·re·late verb | ˈkôrəˌlāt | [no object] have a mutual relationship or connection, in which one thing affects or depends on another

difficulty does not affect rarity (or vice versa)

difficulty does not depend on rarity (or vice versa)

they do not correlate 

PS: before u argue with me about the meaning of the word... this isn't MY definition

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

hmmmm

cor·re·late verb | ˈkôrəˌlāt | [no object] have a mutual relationship or connection, in which one thing affects or depends on another

they do not correlate 

PS: before u argue with me about the meaning of the word... this isn't MY definition

Difficulty does not have an impact on or affect rarity?

I give up ?

There is always one!  ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

hmmmm

they do not correlate 

They do though. Sure, there are instances where there is no correlation. Lovers in a dangerous spacetime, duck game and kung fu panda are ur and not hard, and games like sekiro and nioh 2 are somewhat difficult and not even close to ur. But your statement implies that if crypt of the necrodancer was a 1/10 it would probably still be ur. Sure, there will always be outliers. But do you honestly believe it’s just a random coincidence that a lot of really difficult games are ur and a lot of really easy games are common? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackgalligan1 said:

But your statement implies

I didn't imply anything

I simply copy/pasted the dictionary definition of the word

the fact that u can rattle off easy games that have low completion rates, and harder games that have higher completion rates, is actually contradicting your own point u are trying to make

rarity has, and will always be, the number of ppl who have earned a trophy compared to the number of ppl who played a game. 

if 10 ppl own a game, and one person has the plat, the plat is 10% rarity. nothing else

u cannot decipher how hard, or easy, a game is based on the rarity 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

I didn't imply anything

I simply copy/pasted the dictionary definition of the word

the fact that u can rattle off easy games that have low completion rates, and harder games that have higher completion rates, is actually contradicting your own point u are trying to make

rarity has, and will always be, the number of ppl who have earned a trophy compared to the number of ppl who played a game. 

if 10 ppl own a game, and one person has the plat, the plat is 10% rarity. nothing else

u cannot decipher how hard, or easy, a game is based on the rarity 

There are many smokers who never develop lung cancer (and in some cases, non-smokers can develop lung cancer).  

I guess there is no correlation between smoking and lung cancer after all!  Better inform the medical community and public!  ?

• Like 4

Ultra Rare trophies is not important for me anymore, they just give me nothing more than some bragging rights, just don't worth the time and headache. Now i just play for fun, sometimes i can go for completion.

Edited by aranhaFEILONG

Really few talk about this aspect, so probably it will be nice to give another point of view.

Some time after I started trophy hunting I wanted to compete somehow, I was already curious about the notorious ultra rare platinum, especially the most "famous" ones, so I decided to give them a try (ok let's be honest I wanted to become rich and famous and in my mind this was a really good opportunity to reach my noble goal). 

Anyway, game after game I found that I was more interested than I thought in them, usually when you want to complete a <1% game you need to change a little your routine, you need to watch video about strategies, collect info and tips, play a lot of time it and stuff like that, but I was pretty happy with that, so, a thing that I started mostly to please others became something that pleased me instead. 

Now, sometimes there are period when I lose a little bit of interest in gaming (and also probably in almost everything else), in these situations this type of games really helped me, they help me to stay "active" and they give me a purpose to follow, basically it's nice to have one when you need it. 

So, in the end yes, ultra rare platinum are important for me, depending on the situation, they can be both fun and helpful. In these few words I just wanted to try to show how a digital number can be useful sometimes! 

• Like 4

On 2021-08-04 at 7:28 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

I was talking to a friend about this earlier, and I think 6-7 is about where it's at for new players. You and I would agree that something like Crypt of the Necro Dancer is like a 10/10, right? I can't give Vanquish an 8 if Necro is a 10. 

Crypt being a 10/10 doesn't take anything away from the difficulty of vanquish. There's numerous 10/10 games that aren't on the same level as Crypt, ain't nobody gonna say those games aren't difficult because of it. 

On 2021-08-05 at 1:04 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I thought it was funny when @Sergen said New York Minute Hardcore in Max Payne 3 was much harder than Challenge 6 in Vanquish. 

Ive done Vanquish and can already agree with that. One challenge vs doing whole game in one sitting .