Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important To You?

Wavergray

Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?  

710 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ultra Rare Platinum Trophies Important?

Ultra Rare's these days have more importance than plat count imo, purely becauss of the amount of shovelware. Quality > quantity and if a game is UR then even better. Reminds me of the PS3 trophy days, where most (not all) lists were a good achievement. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MushuMixLipa said:

Ultra Rare's these days have more importance than plat count imo, purely becauss of the amount of shovelware. Quality > quantity and if a game is UR then even better. Reminds me of the PS3 trophy days, where most (not all) lists were a good achievement. 

100%

So many have 500+ plats and like 20k out of their 25k trophies are common and less then hundred UR lol

Edited by WiktorM101
  • Like 2

Spoiler
On 03/08/2021 at 1:58 AM, breakingthegreen said:
On 01/04/2019 at 1:27 AM, breakingthegreen said:
On 01/04/2019 at 1:05 AM, Property_Damage said:

Yes

Youre not a real trophy hunter until you have atleast 5+ ultra rare platinums

Anything else and youre just a trophy hoarder

I'm not just posting this 'cause I have only 1 ultra rare plat.

Why would I continue to try and complete a game beyond the point that it interests me? And since this site is full of Trophy Hunters, impacting the numbers. I'm more proud of my "Very Rare" Persona 4 Golden plat than my "Ultra Rare" Playstation Move Heroes plat. It's the effort that I put in that I'm proud of.

Also, If Assassin's Creed 4 is added to PSPlus and the percentage suddenly goes to an "Ultra Rare" level, would that make the platinum feel more special? No, and if anything slightly devalues it since its mostly so low from people who weren't going to try it anyway, playing and deciding they didn't like it.

*Stands in front of a podium with notes written on cue cards*

Since this statement 2 and a half years ago I have since achieved the arbitrary goal of 5 Ultra Rare Platinum trophies to be deemed an a trophy hunter and not a trophy hoarder. It has come to my attention that I should now call games with a Platinum percentage above 50% casual trash. Like the critically acclaimed: Marvel's Spider Man, and The Walking Dead.

So I now dislike them, please ignore any mentions on my profile of them being my Games of the Year in their respective years.

*Please disregard everything I said if Knockout City's percentage goes above 5% like it seems to be heading*

!THIS WAS SARCASM! I've just had this quote seared into my brain for 2 years and I'm very petty.

Oh goodie, I wasn't the one who necroed the thread this time. Well since these other posts, I now have 13 UR Platinums, and 3 of them were my worst experiences in trophy hunting, Laser League, Hunter Arena Legends, and Hardware Rivals were all soooo dull, A large proportion of Ultra Rares are just plain boring to do, and you have to love the game a lot or pressure yourself to do them since they're rarely hard, just long. 

I did love my times with Everybody's Golf and Knockout city however (I'm in the top 50 first achievers of the PS5 version ;) )

So yeah life's too short to go for those URs

49 minutes ago, victorrfuego said:

That’s what I’m saying! Play any game that interest you but if it’s an UR it’s like bonus points lol

Yes indeed!

this thread made me curious, it turns out I have 627 ultra rare trophies and 29 ultra rare platinums. 

• Like 2

Yes and no. On one hand, a plat is a plat but at the same time, I have platinums that I'm much more proud of than others, and generally the rarer the platinum the happier I am with it but there are exceptions. The Escapists is an ultra rare platinum but I'm not proud of it, I hated the game and recommend people avoid it.

Also, I know it's irrational but having a very rare platinum in a game but the exact same game in another region is ultra rare frustrates me so much.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, MushuMixLipa said:

Ultra Rare's these days have more importance than plat count imo, purely becauss of the amount of shovelware. Quality > quantity and if a game is UR then even better.

what's the correlation between rarity and quality? ?

• Like 1

No. I've spent hundreds of hours boosting various games and also maxing out my skills on various games such as CAPCOM Arcade and RETRO GRADE which were over 200 hours however I don't really care about URs. I have 700 URs but it's just not saying anything.

Sorta? I care about them to the extent that they're often (not always...) greater fun/more rewarding to earn than less rare ones are, and it's nice to have some in the trophy cabinet, but I've never been inclined to specifically seek out difficult games for bragging rights or anything. If it catches my interest for whatever reason, then I'm likely to play it on a whim, regardless of rarity or challenge level, with some exceptions—I do make an effort to avoid irritating ultra hard stuff and glitched trophies at present.

• Like 1

Let’s check my own, shall we.

LittleBigPlanet - unobtainable 2.28% - It has challenge, but only like two Aces Bunker and… the spinning wheel level. Otherwise it was just H4H tedium. Online is dead 

EyePet - unobtainable 3.93% - Online for buying An item in the shop is dead. An easy trophy killed the platinum lol. The game wasn’t hard either from what I remember, just fighting a bit of jank.

LittleBigPlanet 2 - unobtainable 3.02% - Easier than LBP but had a few trophies requiring effort 

Knack - While the hardest difficulty is a challenge at times, Diamond Knack made it significantly easier and the majority of the rarity I bet is the collecting of materials for costumes as it requires you to either play through the game 100000000000x or to close the game and reopen the same chest until you get what you want. Tedious. 

Disney Infinity | Disney Infinity 2.0 - unobtainable 2.95% | 3.23% - Neither are hard, but they have dumb online trophies. 

Skylanders: Swap Force - 4.46% - while the time trials could be hard they’re not that bad especially with a certain character, certainly top 2 in difficulty of the series. Hardest is Spyro’s Adventure since it has some skill based ones for the final boss battle. 

Overlord: F…ellowship? of Evil - 3.01% - Nothing hard just a terrible online that barely worked when I got it. 

Marvel Heroes Omega - unobtainable 0.84% - easy, just a massive grind and I got it before it was announced they’d close it and gave out free boosts. So it would’ve been more rare if they didn’t do that to cut down the time for many. 

G-Force - 4.81% - Depending on how you go through the plat isn’t hard just time consuming. But you can make it harder trying to be more efficient by doing certain things together (much like going balls deep into Deadpool instead of doing two play throughs so your hardest difficulty has the upgrades). There’s a speed run trophy, 100% run trophy, trophy for gun accuracy, etc. so combining some of these makes it harder but the alternative is like 4 play throughs instead of just two. For a licensed game it’s actually a fun list though. 

LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - unobtainable 1.90% - more online nonsense, main game isn’t that bad it’s probably one of the easier ones actually. 

Start the Party - 3.61% - “hard” in that the controls are shitty for one of the most challenging trophies, popping those fish in a row. I wanted to die. It sucked so bad and idk how I did it. The rest is straight forward and even that would’ve been easy if the controls didn’t suck. 

PlayStation Move Heroes - 4.11% - A few weren’t too easy, but it wasn’t that hard either. 

Gauntlet - 2.13% - It’s challenging but fully doable once you get used to the mechanics. You slowly progress through endless getting better each run and before you know it are fine and it’s over. The main issue is how time consuming everything is. Even after endless I had to fart around grinding. I think my plat video is me standing in a corner holding up my shield waiting so I could use my ability again to kill demons walking at me. challenge! This game just requires time and dedication to get used to it. It isn’t as impossible or as hard as it seems. But it is as grindy and tedious as it seems!

Lords of the Fallen - 4.14% - Given that NG+ (first boss aside with killing him with his own weapon)  and NG++ aren’t required and that a regular play through isn’t that bad… this is the first non-difficulty choice Soulslike I have finished and platinum’d. (I did get to the final boss of Dark Souls 2 on PC, I just got sidetracked in the awful dlc and dropped the game lol) And by not that bad, I mean I -barely- used potions in my normal play through. Enemies don’t respawn if you heal at a save either. They just take away a Crystal that floats by it to balance it but they replenish over time. You can also close the game and open it again to keep your XP multiplayer, so many of the mechanics can be cheesed. And all three classes have magic that can heal them and mp regens over time too. And I am a person who will stand there and wait to be full and ready to go lol. 

This does however require three full play throughs. Which is long and tedious. There’s no way this is too hard for Souls fans. People just don’t like the game enough to play it three fucking times. So it’s hardly harder than the proper games just because the plat is rarer. 

What have we learned? Not much other than online, and grinds/time, artificially creates UR plats where they’d otherwise be a lot more common. 

just off the names alone you’d expect most of these I have to be more common. I’m much more proud of Titanfall 2 for one trophy or Vanquish’s hardest difficult trophy (challenge mode eludes me still - maybe some day… I do have to replay on PS4 so maybe that will be a good time to try…).

UR doesn’t mean anything at all. I’ve gotten some piss easy ones. I have also gotten hard ones. Someone said it years ago that difficulty of individual trophies is what matters. And that’s what I think about when I look at my trophy list, not the rarity. I have easy stuff, hard stuff (The Kid, good Yevon the Kid…) And stuff in between, freebies “start the game, change menu options”, time consuming ones “play 40 hours of this game with 20h of content!”, and farming nonsense “craft with this 0.04% drop that only drops from an enemy who appears 0.02% of the time!” (‘Maybe not that bad but Ni no Kuni felt that way)

Hell some of the harder LEGO games are more common than some of the easier ones. LEGO Dimensions is the easiest in the whole series yet it’s one of the rarest. It doesn’t even need to be 100% but the portal mechanics can be a bit tedious. So even on a site of trophy hunters it’s 10% something.

UR is meaningless. It would be nice if we could rate difficultly if individual trophies we have earned. That would be the only way to get any sense of it and even then different people have different skill sets so it’s not without it’s own issues. But at least people can explain their rating. UR is pool from everyone with no input, so you can’t ask all those people if it was hard or not and to explain 

• 3 weeks later...